• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

dr_rus

Jen's ranking isn't really that impressive once you factor in how dumb/inept/clueless AMD have been.

The only thing I'm surprised about is that he hasn't made a play for them yet, much like he did with 3dfx when they faltered.
Way too much dead weight there, especially since they'll loose their x86 license if bought by someone.

The OS does not support it I think.
Win10 support 10 and 12 bit color on desktop just fine. You're thinking of HDR probably which isn't the same thing.

Jen's ranking isn't really that impressive once you factor in how dumb/inept/clueless AMD have been.

The only thing I'm surprised about is that he hasn't made a play for them yet, much like he did with 3dfx when they faltered.

Too bad it's a ranking of CEO performance with regards to corporate metrics. The ranking most likely involves things like growth, profit, stock price, future potential, etc. and has nothing to do with how well competitors are or are not doing.

There's nothing to acquire that anybody wants, that's why no one has bothered with an acquisition. Potential suitors have been named as Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, Qualcomm, and everyone else you can think of. No one has even pretended they are interested, because no one is interested. To put it bluntly, literally nothing is of value except the x86/x64 cross-licensing agreement with Intel and that has a specific clause that states acquiring companies do NOT get to keep it.

dr_rus

I can only choose 10 or 12 bit by selecting YCbCr422, RGB is having none of it, and keeps me at 8 bit.

Well, I have no idea. Here's how it looks for me:

IJcc.png

TV is reporting 12 bit color on PC input so at least it's seeing it. Maybe have something to do with your TV input settings? HDMI has a handshake from which the output device knows what it can output to the receiving device. Maybe your TV isn't telling the GPU that it even can understand deeper color in RGB? Or maybe it's running at 10 bits by default?

Unfortunately as the tooltip notes, increased color depth in Windows is only available to applications which support it.

I know of no games which support increased color depth. Supposedly Rise of the Tomb Raider is getting an HDR patch, it would be the first if so.

Well, I have no idea. Here's how it looks for me:

IJcc.png

TV is reporting 12 bit color on PC input so at least it's seeing it. Maybe have something to do with your TV input settings? HDMI has a handshake from which the output device knows what it can output to the receiving device. Maybe your TV isn't telling the GPU that it even can understand deeper color in RGB? Or maybe it's running at 10 bits by default?

I'm running at 4K I should mention, but still it should be doing it, my Xbox One S picks it up no problem!

Unfortunately as the tooltip notes, increased color depth in Windows is only available to applications which support it.

I know of no games which support increased color depth. Supposedly Rise of the Tomb Raider is getting an HDR patch, it would be the first if so.

Trouble is I won't be able to use HDR if the PC won't even let me select 10bit, crazy.

After looking into this extensively, and a useless phone convo with Samsung, it appears the JS and all other UHD 4K sets cannot accept RGB with 10bit colour through HDMI at 4K 60HZ 50 and even 24hz, they can only offer 10 or 12 bit through chroma subsampling ycbcr 422, and even then thats with limited range! It's so bloody difficult finding this stuff out, like I said frustrating!!!!

dr_rus

Alien Isolation support it AFAIK as well as several video players.

did anyone hear about EVGA GTX 1080 cards having temperature issues related to the design of the ACX fans?

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/58hnzb/word_of_warning_the_evga_1080_blackscreenfan_bug/
So it seems like the EVGA series have got a hotspot, which reaches over 100 °C around the VRAM/VRM area (micron vram only allows up to~95°C). This leads to either the weird black screen bug or to combustion of certain modules around the area.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TEAMEVGA/comments/56w7ty/has_the_black_screen_issue_detailed_over_at_the/d8rky7q/
The issue was hardware-related, and has been fixed on cards shipping after 31 August.

spk

Just got a 1080 FTW and I'm having some real bad issues with temps and fan speeds.

First off, the performance is much worse than my 970, and it can't seem to maintain a decent framerate. There's constant hitching and framedrops. The fans spin up to 100% constantly. EVGA Precision says my temps are hitting 90c...the rest of my PC has no issues, neither did my 970.

What is going on here? I haven't messed with OC or fan curve or anything. Simply installed and tried to run a game. This is it while alt tabbed and idle

vCeYZSZ.png

Temps are hitting 80c with my side panel off. I don't recall my 970 ever hitting more than that even under heavy load. Do I need to RMA?

e- PC specs

4690k stock
16gb ddr3
asus z97a
evga 1080 ftw
seasonic SSR-650RM

I guess I should have looked at the recent negative reviews on amazon first..

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...ilterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews

Vuze

Ugh. I brushed the black screen crash during gaming that I've had twice now (since I got the 1080 FTW) off as "one" time things but this sounds serious.

I guess it will be time to test EVGAs supposedly great customer care. Apparently they will issue a statement today or next week.

spk

You can check your card's ship date by using their Guest RMA page, it'll show you. If after September 1st, sounds like you're safe.

Mine's September 13, hopefully we'll have more info soon.

Mine was 10/12. I'll be returning it for a refund and going with another brand. I'm reading about too many EVGA 1080 issues and multiple RMAs, people being sent refurbs etc. to be comfortable trying again.

Vuze

Ugh, glad this got bumped, I have a 1080 FTW. Haven't seen it hit anywhere near 90 but still concerned.
I think the heat spot is around the VRMs judging from the article(s). The chip itself never went above my temp target either but I don't think there is a software way to measure the VRMs anyway.

You can check your card's ship date by using their Guest RMA page, it'll show you. If after September 1st, sounds like you're safe.

Mine's September 13, hopefully we'll have more info soon.

i have read around that people are still having problems with cards delivered after 9/1 and someone over at the EVGA forums have said that they are temporarily suspending RMA's until they decide on a better fix.

see here http://forums.evga.com/Everyone-PLEASE-READ-regarding-1080-SC-fan-issue-RMAs-m2566277.aspx

and here http://forums.evga.com/Does-anyone-have-a-1080-SC-that-is-able-to-maintain-constant-fan-speeds-m2565511.aspx#2566282

see EVGA response here https://www.reddit.com/r/TEAMEVGA/comments/56w7ty/has_the_black_screen_issue_detailed_over_at_the/d91iz0g/

Corpekata

Banned
i have read around that people are still having problems with cards delivered after 9/1 and someone over at the EVGA forums have said that they are temporarily suspending RMA's until they decide on a better fix.

see here http://forums.evga.com/Everyone-PLEASE-READ-regarding-1080-SC-fan-issue-RMAs-m2566277.aspx

and here http://forums.evga.com/Does-anyone-have-a-1080-SC-that-is-able-to-maintain-constant-fan-speeds-m2565511.aspx#2566282

see EVGA response here https://www.reddit.com/r/TEAMEVGA/comments/56w7ty/has_the_black_screen_issue_detailed_over_at_the/d91iz0g/

These seem to be about the SC, are these applicable to all the other cards too?

Megasoum

Banned
Hmmm... The LED turned back on after installed the latest drivers but I can't find the option to turn it off in the new UI GeForce Experience... I used to be able to do it in there.

How am I supposed to fixed that now?

HooYaH

Hmmm... The LED turned back on after installed the latest drivers but I can't find the option to turn it off in the new UI GeForce Experience... I used to be able to do it in there.

How am I supposed to fixed that now?

The 3.0 has no option. The option is now in with whatever brand tool (precision, afterburner, aura, etc...) of your GPU. So if you have an evga, you need to use the evga tool to change lighting.

Megasoum

Banned
The 3.0 has no option. The option is now in with whatever brand tool (precision, afterburner, aura, etc...) of your GPU. So if you have an evga, you need to use the evga tool to change lighting.

Thanks... This is fucking stupid

Edit: Hmmm so I installed EVGA Precision XOC (which I assume is the right software) but the only mention of LED I see is in the app settings and that tab is greyed out)

Megasoum

Banned
Ok good, just found out that you can simple download the "LED Visualizer" software that used to be part of GFE directly off the NVIDIA website so I was able to turned them off now.

These seem to be about the SC, are these applicable to all the other cards too?

EVGA official statement. It seems like the SC versions of the 1070 and 1080 are safe due to it being based on the founder edition PCB. FTW versions are the problematic batch.

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=59662

The test used in the referenced review from Toms Hardware (Germany) is running under Furmark, an extreme usage case, as most overclockers know. We believe this is a good approach to have some idea about the graphics card limit, and the thermal performance under the worst case scenario. EVGA has performed a similar qualification test during the design process, at a higher ambient temperature (30C in chamber) with a thermal coupler probe directly contacting the key components and after the Toms Hardware (Germany) review, we have retested this again. The results in both tests show the temperature of PWM and memory is within the spec tolerance under the same stress test, and is working as originally designed with no issues.

With this being said, EVGA understands that lower temperatures are preferred by reviewers and customers.

During our recent testing, we have applied additional thermal pads between the backplate and the PCB and between the baseplate and the heatsink fins, with the results shown below. We will offer these optional thermal pads free of charge to EVGA owners who want to have a lower temperature. These thermal pads will be ready soon; and customers can request them on Monday, October 24th, 2016. Also, we will work with Toms Hardware to do a retest.

Is there any way for me to "test" my FTW out? It appears that the black screen and fan issues happen during prolong gaming (?). So far, after playing battlefield 1 for 3-4 hours at a time, I have not encounter this issue. Persoanlly I would rather test my card out and replace it.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm glad I stumbled across this - I received my FTW in July, so I'm sure it's part of the toasty bunch. Guess I'll sign up for the heat pads

Is there any way for me to "test" my FTW out? It appears that the black screen and fan issues happen during prolong gaming (?). So far, after playing battlefield 1 for 3-4 hours at a time, I have not encounter this issue. Persoanlly I would rather test my card out and replace it.

contact EVGA and give them your serial number, they should tell you if your card falls in the bad batch of cards.

i don't know why there isn't a new thread for this issue.

I got screwed early on by the FTW.

http://forums.evga.com/Black-screen-and-fan-going-100-while-running-a-game-m2521839.aspx

I don't know about others, but my GPU isn't badly "infected". I can run it at 2010-2025MHz without the blackscreen+fan issue (it might happen during long sessions or games like TW3). I might get the 1080ti but it might not be an EVGA card. Gamerock/Gainward brands look very tempting, but I am not sure about their sizes; I have an NZXT full tower case so it might not be an issue (kinda worried even though there is a compatibility list).

Edit: The RMA'd/refurbished units are still defective. I will wait for EVGA to officially fix the issue or wait for the 1080 ti (nice excuse to get one).

Stevey

I've never seen my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW go over 65C, so hopefully I've avoided these issues.
Never had the fan/black screen issue either.

Thanks... This is fucking stupid

Edit: Hmmm so I installed EVGA Precision XOC (which I assume is the right software) but the only mention of LED I see is in the app settings and that tab is greyed out)

If you already have GeForce Experience installed, copy the folder titled 'LED Visualizer' found by default at "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\LED Visualizer" and copy it to a location of your choice. Uninstall GeForce Experience, then run NvLedVisualizer.exe and set up your LEDs.

Link.

Should I try to get a refund from EVGA and replace the 1080FTW with a Gainward or Gamerock 1080? I don't mind importing stuff from Europe; I am worried about the brand itself and fitting the large GPU in my NZXT full tower case. The 1080 GLH is 288mm compared to the 266mm FTW; it is compatible with the motherboard that I have too.

I think I will order a Phoenix GLH for my friend's new PC build that I have helping him make; not sure about going through the RMA bullcrap in my case.

Edit: I might not be eligible for a refund. I guess it is either selling my current card for a new 1080 GLH or wait for the 1080ti Gainward lineup.

Jin

EVGA explains the black screen and fan issue on 1080 FTW's:

Recently, there are many customers wanting to know more details about the EVGA GeForce 1080 FTW “Black Screen” issue and we believe we need to make a clear statement to clear all kinds of speculation.

The EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW “Black Screen” issue was fixed as of the first week of September and this has been confirmed by all users who have received the replacement units with the issue resolved. Also, all new production has been confirmed to not have this issue after the first week of September.

This previous black screen issue was caused by On Semiconductor (VRM IC Manufacturer) VRM IC’s being out of spec, triggering the OCP (Over Current Protection) and will not cause any damage to your system. The percentage of the IC’s that were out of spec has been confirmed by On Semiconductor and is approximately 3% to 4%. Since then, EVGA and On Semiconductor have worked out the solution and RMA replacement action a couple months ago as we stated above. At this moment, all of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW’s have been corrected and all products in the field are working properly.

brau

I've never seen my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW go over 65C, so hopefully I've avoided these issues.
Never had the fan/black screen issue either.

Same. I do have the Fan to be aggressive, and i upped the power target and temp target sliders to the max. I also have single display power mode only, and full power all the time on the settings.

Figured I might as well post this here too.

Update on the EVGA PWM/VRM overheating/cooling issue, now with a VBIOS update coming to change the default fan curve!

EVGA_JacobF said:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update

11/1/2016 - Recently, it was reported from several sources, that the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW PWM and memory temperature is running warmer than expected during Furmark (an extreme stress utility).

EVGA has investigated these reports and after extensive testing, below are our findings:

On ACX 3.0, EVGA focused on GPU temperature and the lowest acoustic levels possible. Running Furmark, the GPU is around 70C +/- and the fan speed is running approximately 30% duty cycle or lower.
However, during recent testing, the thermal temperature of the PWM and memory, in extreme circumstances, was marginally within spec and needed to be addressed.

Conclusion: EVGA offers full warranty support on its products, with cross-ship RMA*, and stands behind its products and commitment to our customers.

To resolve this, EVGA will be offering a VBIOS update, which adjusts the fan-speed curve to ensure sufficient cooling of all components across all operating temperatures. This VBIOS will be released in the next few days and users can download it and update their cards directly. This update resolves the potential thermal issues that have been reported, and ensures the card maintains safe operating temperatures.

For those users who want additional cooling beyond the VBIOS update, EVGA has optional thermal pads available. This update is not required, however; EVGA will make it available free of charge to any customer who is interested. To request the thermal pad kit, please visit www.evga.com/thermalmod

Any customer who is not comfortable performing the recommended VBIOS update, may request a warranty cross-shipment* to exchange the product to EVGA for an updated replacement.

All graphics cards shipped from EVGA after 11/1/2016 will have the VBIOS update applied.

*The EVGA EAR(Advanced RMA Program) and Cross Shipping options are available in the Continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, EU, UK, Norway, and Switzerland. EVGA offers Standard RMA replacement options in the Middle East, Africa, India or outside of the before mentioned supported areas.

FAQ

Q. Which cards are supported by these updates?

A. EVGA ACX 3.0 GeForce GTX 1080, 1070 or 1060 cards with the following part numbers:

z0AQuSF.jpg

*Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER cards do not need these updates.

Q. If my Graphics Card is not an ACX 3.0 design is it affected?

A. No, all other GPUs sold by EVGA including Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER editions are unaffected.

Q. Does the VBIOS fix the temperature issues?

A. Yes, the VBIOS update will fix the temperature issues.

Q. Is my card damaged from running at a higher temperature?

A. No, but should any future warranty service be needed, EVGA stands behind its products.

Q. What happens if my card is accidentally damaged during the optional thermal pad installation?

A. EVGA will stand behind its customers with full warranty and cross-shipment.*

Q. What if I am not comfortable updating my VBIOS?

A. While EVGA has very user friendly ways to update VBIOS’s, if you still do not feel comfortable, we will support you with and advanced RMA and ship you a replacement card with the latest VBIOS.
http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-10801070-PWM-Operating-Temperature-Update-m2573491.aspx

Here's the guide for applying the pads.

http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/thermal_pad_mod_installation_guide.pdf

I would Guess if i installed an ek water block on my EVGA I won't need this right? The ek already provides those thermal pads upon install.

Soltype

So is this a hardware issue or software?I never had any problems with my FTW, but I never ran furmark on it either.

low-G

Figured I might as well post this here too.

Update on the EVGA PWM/VRM overheating/cooling issue, now with a VBIOS update coming to change the default fan curve!

Wonder how aggressive the fan curve is gonna be to cool a part that doesn't have HSF conductivity?

Is it wrong to intend to just ride dirty and run this thing ragged and take advantage of the warranty should it fail in the next ~3 years?

Top Bottom