• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

It's an issue with EVGA's cooling solution.

All you need is usually packaged with the new BIOS in a ZIP you'll download. Just quit all programs and run the EXE, let it update the BIOS, restart.

Thanks for the info. I am also assuming there will be a guide or walk through when its released.

I just ran furmark on my 1080 FTW and my temp remained around 73-74 C. So I am assuming my card is not affected the issue. Still it makes me worried :/ and I will update the VBIOS and get those thermal pads.

Thanks for the info. I am also assuming there will be a guide or walk through when its released.

I just ran furmark on my 1080 FTW and my temp remained around 73-74 C. So I am assuming my card is not affected the issue. Still it makes me worried :/ and I will update the VBIOS and get those thermal pads.
You are seeing temperatures for GPU core. VRM is the part that is overheating on EVGA cards and that doesn't get reported by monitoring software.

Vuze

Can't you just create your own custom fan curve, or just use the aggressive preset?
Yeah, sure. I won't do the VBIOS update either for that reason. Waiting for the thermal pads to come through, I'm sure this will help a whole lot more than the fans running marginally faster (and louder).

Megasoum

Banned
So I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Graphics Card that is on the list of cards with the thermal issue.

I ordered the thermal pads but they keep talking about a new bios but I can't find it anywhere?

Vuze

So I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Graphics Card that is on the list of cards with the thermal issue.

I ordered the thermal pads but they keep talking about a new bios but I can't find it anywhere?
a) I think it's not out yet. b) don't worry about it, all it does is increase the fan curve... according to gamer nexus you'll end up with ~2x noise. The cooling gain on the VRMs is also not worth it at all once you have the pads installed.

Don't really know what to think of EVGAs handling here..

a poster over on reddit claims he took apart his EVGA GTX 1080 FTW and found only 3 out of the 16 GDDR5X included thermal pads and it barely makes contact.

does anyone have sizing recommendations for the thermal pad required to cover the GDDR5X? what size are they shipping out that fixes the over heating issue?

Stevey

a poster over on reddit claims he took apart his EVGA GTX 1080 FTW and found only 3 out of the 16 GDDR5X included thermal pads and it barely makes contact.

does anyone have sizing recommendations for the thermal pad required to cover the GDDR5X? what size are they shipping out that fixes the over heating issue?

Yeah there's no way I'm taking mine to bits

Over-Run

Ordered an Asus Strix advanced. Coming from a 970 on a 1440p g sync monitor, how big of a difference will I notice. I'm getting excited

I ordered a GTX 1080 Phoenix GLH version for my cousin's new PC. I am kinda excited about how it will perform--especially with that ginormous heatsink. I will probably order the same version of the 1080ti when it gets released (if the issues of the 1080 FTW are not properly fixed).

Hopefully it will fit in the NZXT 530 full tower with no issues.

Edit: I updated the BIOS and ordered the thermal pads (did not arrive yet). I overclocked the 1080 FTW more than the gimped post-blackscreen+fan issue core clock and I got the black screen issue again. I will wait for the thermal pads and finally decide (I doubt RMA'ing it will solve the issue).

brau

Is there any recommendations for OC the GTX 1080 FTW? Would it be recommended to do so after the whole thermal pads issue?

Stevey

Is there any recommendations for OC the GTX 1080 FTW? Would it be recommended to do so after the whole thermal pads issue?

Mine runs at 2000MHZ straight from EVGA, I havent bothered with the thermal pads.
Never seen it above mid 60s
zero problems so far

brau

Mine runs at 2000MHZ straight from EVGA, I havent bothered with the thermal pads.
Never seen it above mid 60s
zero problems so far

Did you flash it?

Before the flash mine would go in a game up to 75 degrees. on Idle it usually stays around 39.

I just figured i could look into OC this a bit more and see what kind of gain i could get out of it. But i know it already comes OC.

grendelrt

Did you flash it?

Before the flash mine would go in a game up to 75 degrees. on Idle it usually stays around 39.

I just figured i could look into OC this a bit more and see what kind of gain i could get out of it. But i know it already comes OC.

Mine is flashed and with the new pads and I hit low/mid 60s in gameplay and 77C max benchmarking. Idle is around 33C.

Stevey

Did you flash it?

No, didn't flash it, but I set my own fan curve in Afterburner which is all the BIOS flash does as far as I can tell.
Set the fan at 50% for 50C and under, then it rises at the same rate as temp, eg 60% at 60C and 70% at 70C, then raise it to 100 % if it ever were to hit 80C.
The ACX 3 cooler works really well.

Stevey

Fitted my Powerlink today.
Moves the cables out the way which is nice.
TXDRnyP.jpg

brau

No, didn't flash it, but I set my own fan curve in Afterburner which is all the BIOS flash does as far as I can tell.
Set the fan at 50% for 50C and under, then it rises at the same rate as temp, eg 60% at 60C and 70% at 70C, then raise it to 100 % if it ever were to hit 80C.
The ACX 3 cooler works really well.

I thought that the issue with the temp was not really reading properly? I have my curve set to "Aggresive" and i've had no raised temps, but not sure if that is enough to make sure nothing happens to the card.

Stevey

I thought that the issue with the temp was not really reading properly? I have my curve set to "Aggresive" and i've had no raised temps, but not sure if that is enough to make sure nothing happens to the card.

I havent had any black screen/fan issues.
Also-
http://forums.evga.com/badHOT-PCB-Layout-on-GTX-1070-FTW-m2565921-p3.aspx#2567129

EVGA has performed a similar qualification test during the design process, at a higher ambient temperature (30C in chamber) with a thermal coupler probe directly contacting the key components and after the Toms Hardware (Germany) review, we have retested this again. The results in both tests show the temperature of PWM and memory is within the spec tolerance under the same stress test, and is working as originally designed with no issues.

With this being said, EVGA understands that lower temperatures are preferred by reviewers and customers.

It might be running hot, but it's within spec. You get a 3 year warranty when you register the card, and I will have upgraded before that's out, so I'm not too worried.

brau

I havent had any black screen/fan issues.
Also-
http://forums.evga.com/badHOT-PCB-Layout-on-GTX-1070-FTW-m2565921-p3.aspx#2567129

It might be running hot, but it's within spec. You get a 3 year warranty when you register the card, and I will have upgraded before that's out, so I'm not too worried.

I should really register my card. I'll do that over the weekend, since i have to open the case to look for the serial number. This card has been pretty awesome so far, but this whole issue has made me a bit paranoid.

I haven't had any black screen/fan issues either.

Running stock (0%) voltage kinda solved the black screen/fan issue. Heck, I can even run the card at 2038-2078MHz again. The card used to run at 1.085-1.093V, but it runs at 1.05V now with no issues. I thought I would get a stable OC with high voltages, but I had in mind how sensitive Pascal's 16nm cards are to Voltages. I also ordered thermal pads and installed the new BIOS update.

I will install the Phoenix GLH this week in the other PC build. That wine voucher from Scan.uk though.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Same! I'm getting it Friday. Also ordered a G-sync monitor.

Damn I spent a lot of money.

Ordered it yesterday morning, was at my door by 11 AM today. Newegg is the shit. Card is very nice. First card I've ever owned with a backplate lol.

Also recently got a g-sync monitor, and spent a shit ton of money this month.

Got an EVGA 1080 Hybrid as a gift. Performance is amazing. Eats through everything on stock clocks.

Amazing how quiet it is on load. You see the numbers on review sites but can't truly appreciate it until it's in front of you. Previous card was a MSI 980Ti Gaming and the difference is like night and day.

Will be taking apart my Antec Skeleton case to redo wiring so I can situate the radiator better but for now still looks great especially at night:

Bydobob

Need some quick advice from those who've gone 980TI>1080. My Step-up as finally come through and they want payment. Unfortunately since the pound has slumped against the euro it's going to cost about £220 including shipping. That's about £45 over the original estimate. Is it worth it? Looking at prices on Ebay I might be better off selling privately.

Edit: Well that was the easiest decision ever. Just bought this and it's coming tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GCAW1IA/

That's low as I've ever seen this card. Time to sell the 980ti!

Top Bottom