• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Kayant

Thanks to Videocardz

Articles -

Anandtech - The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founder's Edition Review: Bigger Pascal for Better Performance
Taking a look at the numbers, as a mid-generation refresh of their high-end products, the GTX 1080 Ti delivers around 32% better performance than the GTX 1080 at 4K, and 28% better performance at 1440p. NVIDIA said they were going to get a 35% improvement over the GTX 1080 with the GTX 1080 Ti, and while our numbers don't quite match that, they are close to the mark.

For GTX 980 Ti and GTX 780 Ti owners then, who are the most likely groups to be in the market for a $699 video card and looking to upgrade, the GTX 1080 Ti should prove a suitable card. Relative to the last-generation GTX 980 Ti, the GTX 1080 Ti offers 74% better performance at 4K and 68% better performance at 1440p. This is very similar to the kinds of gains we saw in the GTX 1080 over the GTX 980 last year, and in fact is a bit better than what the GTX 980 Ti did to its predecessors.

Speaking of which, it's now been three-and-a-half years since the GTX 780 Ti launch, and GTX 1080 Ti's performance shows it. At both 4K and 1440p, NVIDIA's card offers just over 2.5 times the performance of their Kepler-based powerhouse. Internally, NVIDIA tends to plan for a two to four year upgrade cadence on their video cards, and 2017 is going to be the year they push remaining GTX 700 series owners to upgrade through a combination of product launches like the GTX 1080 Ti and better pricing. If you didn't already upgrade to a Pascal card last year, then your benefit for waiting a year is 32% better performance for the same price.

85938.png

Arstechnica - Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti review: The fastest graphics card. Again.
Once again, Nvidia has the fastest gaming graphics card on the market. Of course, it already did in the form of the Titan X. And even if you wrote that off on account of its ludicrous price, the GTX 1080 was still faster than anything available from AMD.

That Nvidia released the GTX 1080 Ti when it had no competition on the market is either a sharp preemptive strike at AMD's upcoming Vega architecture (the word on the street is that it's performing almost as well as a GTX 1080), or an indication that AMD's development cycle is so far behind that it made more sense to just drive another nail into the coffin.

1080ti.011-1440x1080.png

Computerbase(German-Translated) - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on test: Nvidia pulls up and away
The GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is an impressive because unrivaled fast graphics card. The GeForce GTX 980 Ti, the GeForce GTX 980 Ti, is the same as the GeForce GTX 1080, but the GeForce GTX 1080 is not only able to measure the gain in high resolutions. In current games, it is often only the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti granted to play under Ultra HD also the maximum details liquid (the running away from the GeForce division running Titan X). Another graphics card, which can compete with the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti also only in the approach, there is currently not. It remains to be seen whether AMD Vega will reach this performance level in the second quarter.

The slightly modified cooling system of the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition performs a neat service at standard clock rates. The fact that partner cards are significantly quieter and the fan under Windows completely switch off, but there is no doubt. If the Founders Edition is driven to higher clock rates, the cooling system is quickly overwhelmed. There is enough room for good partner cards with regard to speed and cooler.

The GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is currently absolutely unrivaled

Very good is the energy efficiency of the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, which again shows a great improvement over Maxwell. The Founders Edition requires just as much energy as the GeForce GTX 980 Ti, but is up to 75 percent faster.

819 euros will have Nvidia for the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition, which is a lot of money, but not too much in view of the absolutely unrivaled performances shown. Especially since the price shock to the original UVP of the GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition surprisingly small.

Digitalfoundry - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti review
The sudden jump from 2.5K desktop displays to ultra HD 4K screens created an overwhelming challenge for GPU manufacturers - the sheer pixel-count could not be matched by scalability in performance from what was then top-of-the-line graphics hardware. Indeed, right up until the launch of GTX 1080, we had real trouble running the latest games at ultra HD without undue compromise in visual settings, reduced frame-rates - or both.

Titan X Pascal and GTX 1080 Ti build on the vanilla 1080's excellent performance, adding the additional overhead required to get the job done on a range of the latest games. It's possible to enjoy full native 4K resolution with 60fps gameplay on the likes of Forza Horizon 3, Battlefield 1, Gears of War 4, Titanfall 2 and Watch Dogs 2 with only minimal tweaking - and the experience is nothing short of epic.

In this sense, the 31 per cent performance uplift we measured here translates into a feeling of much more when you're actually sat at your PC playing games on a 4K display. It's so much easier to hit the 60fps threshold, and in many cases, sustaining this super-smooth frame-rate requires no more tweaking than achieving a 1080p60 lock when gaming with GTX 970. Some titles do prove more troublesome though and we suspect that upcoming Nvidia products with HBM2-level memory bandwidth may well be the final piece of the puzzle required to truly get the job done.

But in the here and now, the GTX 1080 Ti is the best GPU companion for maximising gameplay results on a 4K display. However, while ultra HD costs have tumbled (40-inch UHD TVs make for great desktop displays), the price premium remains very high, even with the massive price-cut compared to Titan X Pascal. However, as always, we should consider these products as previews of the more mainstream products to follow a year or so download the line. 2015's Maxwell-based Titan X spawned 2016's far cheaper GTX 1070, after all. The notion of this level of power in a £350 GPU a year or so ahead is tantalising to say the least.

Gamers Nexus - NVidia GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition Review & Thermal Analysis
This review isn't as complete as we'd like it to be, given that we're sandwiched between Ryzen and now PAX East. We have plenty of data to form a conclusion on the 1080 Ti, but have follow-up plans for FE noise testing and further overclock testing.

Overclocking is next. During initial, time-limited overclock efforts, we ran into stability problems and had to scrap the attempt in the final hours before our flight. This will be revisited. We'll get an OC on there, it's just a matter of not being against a time wall.

Stock performance of the GTX 1080 is still more than enough, so if you own one of those, probably don't bother upgrading to a 1080 Ti – it's really more of a sidegrade, unless you're able to just split the difference and trade in. NVidia sort of competes with itself by dropping the GTX 1080s to $500, too, since that card can handle 4K with some settings tuning, and handles 1440p without much trouble at all. The bigger argument you could make would be for high-refresh gaming, as the 1080 Ti fills that niche where others fall short. 1440p at 144Hz is doable in some games, like For Honor, if you're OK with dropping to High or Very High from Ultra settings, assuming no AA. This is somewhat of a first, and follows last year's GPU trend of 1440p expanding to a wider market (see: RX 480 review, GTX 1060 review).

For owners of a GTX 980 Ti, this is a sizeable upgrade, but you've still got mileage left on your card. It's the 780 Ti that would be interesting to look at, and unfortunately that's also a victim of time limitations. Still, based on just extrapolating performance, that's probably where an upgrade makes the most immediate sense. It just comes down to what resolution you're trying to play on.

The 1080 Ti is a substantial step up from older gen *80 Ti cards. Plenty of GTX 1080 cards still exist at ~$650-$670, and at this point, we'd recommend finding a $700 1080 Ti instead (if available) or a ~$500 1080. AIB model 1080 Ti cards should come out within a few weeks, which also aids the immediate market availability. The $500-$530 GTX 1080s are worth strong consideration over the Ti when looking at price positioning, particularly for 1440p or UW setups. Higher resolution UW or 4K configurations will require more settings reductions to sustain >60FPS than the 1080 Ti, which is the Ti's strong point.
gtx-1080-ti-bench-doom-4k.png

Guru3d - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Review

Concluding

The GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is the Titan X in disguise. Nvidia had to do something to it and decided to ditch 1GB of memory, bringing that VRAM number to a weird 11GB. This means slightly fewer ROPs and a 352-bit memory bus as well. But then they do use faster DDR5X memory and slightly faster than Titan X clock frequencies. So the performance drop is immediately annihilated and in fact the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is as fast or sometimes even faster than the Titan X. And yeah, it might cost a tremendous 699 USD / 820 Euro, but you surely are receiving an exorbitant amount of performance for the exorbitant amount of money. And that's just the hardcore reality for this initial reference model, gawd only knows what the factory tweaked and cooled AIB cards from MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, ZOTAC, Palit and all others will do. It could add another 10 to 20% performance for the higher binned SKUs, and that is bat**** crazy yo! Now let me bring you back to reality for a moment, if you are a 1080P or even 1440P gamer, you are probably and economically better off with a GeForce GTX 1070 or 1080, really. These cards just make the most sense. But then again, you've seen the numbers, for Ultra HD gamers and even 2560x1440 gamers this product works out well, really well. Overall we are impressed by the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, very much so. The cooler is fighting that massive GPU though, it will throttle a bit under massive loads but that remains acceptable and throttling stays above the advertised Boost ranges. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is available starting from NVIDIA in their on-line web-shop, in a week or two/three we expect AIB partner cards with their customized models. And that's where things will get really serious. You name your game, go WQHD or Ultra HD and play your games, this graphics card has tremendous performance capabilities. The price is the one thing that remains a problematic thing for many, but this is Nvidia's fastest consumer based graphics card to date. If you can afford it, we can definitely recommend it. But my man, I cannot wait to see what the board partners are going to do with this graphics processor series!

index.php

PcgameshardwareGeForce(German-Translated - GTX 1080 Ti in the test: Titan-X-heir success of Nvidia for 819 euro
With the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Nvidia brings the performance of the Titan X Pascal successfully into the three-digit price range. In the PCGH performance index, the 819 euro graphics card delivers 101 percent of the Titan X performance at two-thirds of the price - which should convince many PC enthusiasts. The cooling design of the Founder's Edition performs its duty reliably and quietly as with the Titan, but the fan noise under full load is by no means quiet, nevertheless the GTX 1080 Ti always works at the temperature limit. Overclockers look forward to the upgraded power supply and install a better cooler, hunting for boosts in the 2 GHz range. Users of a DVI-fired screen are faced with a problem with the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, because the reference design does not offer a corresponding output.

The next-minute graphics card, Nvidia's GTX 1080, has no chance against the GTX 1080 Ti even as a heavily overshot custom design. In comparison, the GTX 1080 Ti leads an average of 20 percent. Pure based on the Ultra-HD performance, the can The 819-euro graphics card delivers the PCGH Performance Index 101 percent of the titanium X-performance two-thirds of the price. GTX 1080 Ti even put 27 percent in the lead. Also regarding the storage capacity is the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti thanks to its 11 GiByte GDDR5X very well set up. Although the Titan X Pascal offers an advantage with its 12 GiByte, we do not assume that the nine percent difference in capacitance will be between usable and liquid during the lifetime of both graphics cards.

PCper - The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Review

Though I do encourage you go through the previous benchmark pages for more detail on each result, we can summarize our experiences with the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti succinctly: it's damn fast! Compared to the Titan X, we should deltas of 0-8% in favor of the GTX 1080 Ti across both 2560x1440 and 4K resolution testing. For a card with a starting sale price $500 lower than where the Titan X launched last year, that make the performance all the more impressive.

The most important distinction lies with the GTX 1080 though. At 2560x1440, the GTX 1080 Ti ranged from 2% faster (in Grand Theft Auto V and Gears of War) to 42% faster (in Dirt Rally). The average improvement was 25% INCLUDING the 2% outliers! At 4K that average difference jumps to 36%, with Dirt Rally showing the biggest gain at 50%! These are extraordinary performance gains for a card that prices $100 more than the launch price of the GTX 1080 and $200 more than its current (reduced) price.
RoTRDX12_3840x2160_PLOT.png

RoTRDX12_3840x2160_PER.png
Techreport: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 Ti graphics card reviewed - I like big chips and I cannot lie
So there you have it. Whether in performance potential (as measured by average FPS per dollar) or delivered smoothness (as measured by 99th-percentile FPS per dollar), the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is the finest single-GPU graphics card that we've ever tested by a wide margin. It makes smooth, fluid gaming at 4K with ultra settings an accessible prospect, and it'll scream at similar settings and lower resolutions. In an age where incremental advances are becoming the norm, the GTX 1080 Ti sets a new bar for what's possible from a gaming PC. Don't play games on a GTX 1080 Ti unless you want to go home with one. It's that good.

Though $700 is a lot to pay for a graphics card, I think the GTX 1080 Ti is fairly priced, too. Its 99th-percentile-FPS-per-dollar result is 33% or so better than the GTX 1080's. With Nvidia's new $500 suggested price tag for those cards, the 1080 Ti is about 40% more expensive in its Founders Edition form than the former king. Considering that we're getting similar performance to what the $1300 Titan X Pascal offered before this point, the GTX 1080 Ti seems like a great value. Of course, a $1300 graphics card makes almost anything seem like a great value.

The GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition card is a fine piece of hardware in its stock form, allowing the GP102 GPU to boost well above Nvidia's modest 1582 MHz boost clock for sustained periods with low enough noise levels. Overclockers attempting to wring the most from GP102 may want to wait for custom cards with more board power to spare, though, because overclocking both the memory and the GPU core clock on our example required the GPU to run well below its peak overclocked boost speed from time to time thanks to power limits.
ROTTR_GTX_1080.png

ROTTR_Average_FPS.png

ROTTR_99th_Percentile.png

Videos

Bitwit - GTX 1080 Ti BENCHMARKS! Too good to be true?

Gamers Nexus - NVidia GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition Review & Thermal Analysis

LinusTechTips - GTX 1080 Ti Review - AMAZING

Joker Productions - GTX 1080 Ti vs GTX 1080 Review | Is it 35% Faster?

JayzTwoCents - NVIDIA GTX 1080Ti... is it really faster than a Titan X?

DigitalFoundry - GTX 1080 Ti Review! The Best GPU for 4K 60fps Gaming!

Poor Volta if old.

PFD

It seems like the overclocking potential is there, but the stock cooler is preventing it from boosting to its full potential.

Can't wait to see what custom cards and water cooling will get us

Skyzard

Banned
Hmm, I wasn't following this but that sounds like a nice upgrade from my 980ti, I wasn't expecting a decent bump. Might grab one this summer but I could also easily wait for the next one. Needs more than a 74% bump over the 980ti for 60 fps at 4K with newer games. And I'm not having any issues with 1440p 60fps. Nice though.

Xyber

It seems like the overclocking potential is there, but the stock cooler is preventing it from boosting to its full potential.

Can't wait to see what custom cards and water cooling will get us

I don't have any high hopes of the cards going much further than 2000-2100MHz, even with better cooling and power after how the 1080 launch went.

It would certainly be nice if partner cards could reliably hit 2,2GHz though.

Durante

Could you elaborate on what that means?)
Which part? The joke I quoted just means that it's pretty much beating everything in everything, by a large margin.

I understand framepacing in general, but I thought it was a function of games, not GPUs (which is obviously incorrect)
The final framepacing is a function of the entire software and hardware stack, but the GPU is a big part of that of course.

As a general overview, Techreport has a great article back from 2011 about why frametime measurements are far superior as a performance metric over FPS:
http://techreport.com/review/21516/inside-the-second-a-new-look-at-game-benchmarking

Aeana

I'd like to get one of these, but I don't have time to play games with limited stock lottery junk. Never did get a 1080 because it was still hard to get one months after launch. Sigh.

Skyr

Can't freakin wait for reviews of custom cooler cards. I want to get the quietes air cooled version available.

keraj37

I am not interested in 4k, so I stay with my GTX 970. I will wait for next gen of cards. Right now it is just not got deal for me.

So the wait was worth it. The comparisn with maxwell at 4K is just insane. Damn, at those frametimes. Rejoice, ladies and gents. This is probably gonna last another couple of years at 4K60 (give or take a few proprietary IQ settings here and there) in most games. Seriously want Vega to come close to this in raw numbers and not just the usual price/performance safe game.

Next stop is 4K120 for Volta and Navi.

Branson

I love high framerates but getting this for 1080p seems a little crazy.
Running everything at ultra at 1080p and 60fps is an amazing experience still. I'm not upgrading to 4K for a while personally but why not get a great card if you can afford it?

J-Rzez

Performs really well. Not going to ditch my 1080 for one of these though. Most games I play in 4k I'm able to hit 60fps via tweaks. This looks like it may need tweaks here and there as well it seems. Hopefully their HBM2 cards will finally bring it in, and those are what i'll upgrade to.

For those on 980Ti or less looking to update, go for it.

Let's see if supply is better than the disgusting gouging and extremely little replenishment of stock is fixed, because it was a damned nightmare with the 1080.

ghibli99

Can't wait for the EVGA FTW version... got an email about it and cracked the biggest smile. 980 Ti is the best card I've ever owned, so I'm looking forward to its successor to smooth out my 1440p/4K experience.

Top Bottom