• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nVidia GeForce GTX 11-series projected to launch in July.

Armorian

Banned
So if my understanding of the current PC marked is right. The only way to get one of these at a reasonable price (or at all) will be by pre ordering right?

Yep, there will be a few minutes window to do that lol.

Last edited:
So if my understanding of the current PC marked is right. The only way to get one of these at a reasonable price (or at all) will be by pre ordering right?

Yep altrought it would be great if Nvidia somehow cripled performance on those cards.

MultiCore

Yep altrought it would be great if Nvidia somehow cripled performance on those cards.
I know you meant mining performance, instead of just performance, but...

It would be even better if you could buy hardware that isn't intentionally crippled.

Riplock? Region lock? DRM? Deneuvo? A Sony installed rootkit on an audio CD? You ever live with any of these? You know you need a really current processor and windows 10 to stream 4K Netflix on a PC?

I don't think you know what you're asking for.

Last edited:

scydrex

I know you meant mining performance, instead of just performance, but...

It would be even better if you could buy hardware that isn't intentionally crippled.

Riplock? Region lock? DRM? Deneuvo? A Sony installed rootkit on an audio CD? You ever live with any of these? You know you need a really current processor and windows 10 to stream 4K Netflix on a PC?

I don't think you know what you're asking for.

I think that would benefit pc gamers. This mining mess up the GPU market.

Momentary

Banned
I am going to wait for 1180Ti. Sure the 1180 probably will be 15-20% faster than 1080Ti, but there are no games struggling on my 1080Ti at 1200p.

Over the last 2 gen the 80Ti series seems to pack more punch for the dollars.

Parking my funds for a real 4K HDR PC monitor with 10bit 4:4:4 1000nits etc.

If you look at performance from peevious Ti to current Ti cards it's a 60-80% increase in performance depending on the game. On the same architecture, xx80 to xx80Ti there is usually an increase of 20 to 30% depending on the game.

I don't know where people get these low performance increases from.

Last edited:

glorious rommie

Neo Member
Think I am going to stick with my 1070 and just upgrade my cpu to an i7 7700k using an i5 6700k right now.
same here. i only play at 1080p/60 so i think im good for awhile.when i start seeing 100 percent gpu usage in every game at high settings then ill upgrade.

undercoversaint

Neo Member
My 1080ti will be good for a couple more years at 1440p, besides I'm not ready to shell out £1500 for an 1180ti, hopefully in two years the market will have stabilised.

A.Romero

Looking forward for the 1160 to be as fast as the 1080.

Normally the 60 series match the 70 series from previous gen, no?

For example the 1060 has similar performance to a 970, right?

I'd wait. I made the mistake of getting a 1070ti to replace a 970 and I think it wasn't worth it. Games perform very well at 1080p but it's not enough for a really good experience at 4k.

The market is in a weird place right now.

Bolivar687

Banned
Should be exciting. With mining and the two year gap, I'm expecting pricing to be more aggressive than Pascal.

I'll probably stick with the 1080 for now, as I just don't see displays or content to justify an upgrade.

Oh this is just great. Add another £100 increase in price across the line-up from last gen. Then expect to pay hundreds more than that even as supply will be scarce. The whole PC hardware scene has been f*cked for couple years now, it's fine if you're rich of course. It's turning into a rich man's pursuit like golf or skiing or vintage cars. I mean there's at least two posters on here that say they do not even have jobs and they're looking at buying 1180!!

I mean lmao talk about getting your priorities twisted. People like you are perfect customers for Nvidia. No money to afford rent but just gotta get that one-one-eighty at all costs!!

A.Romero

Oh this is just great. Add another £100 increase in price across the line-up from last gen. Then expect to pay hundreds more than that even as supply will be scarce. The whole PC hardware scene has been f*cked for couple years now, it's fine if you're rich of course. It's turning into a rich man's pursuit like golf or skiing or vintage cars. I mean there's at least two posters on here that say they do not even have jobs and they're looking at buying 1180!!

I mean lmao talk about getting your priorities twisted. People like you are perfect customers for Nvidia. No money to afford rent but just gotta get that one-one-eighty at all costs!!

I don't think I understand the point you are trying to make. Are you saying that Nvidia should not release new products or that they should focus in lowering costs for the current tech instead?

Cryptos are going through a bad time right now. I'm pretty sure the market will flooded with many used GPU's by the years end. That said, I don't think Nvidia has got anything to do with how the PC market is right now. I'm pretty sure they are producing as much as they can but the demand is just too high.

Also, PC gaming is more expensive than other forms of gaming. It has always been an enthusiast market. However, there are many offerings. I will never be able to afford a 1180ti or Vega 64 or whatever is the cutting edge is at any moment but I'm still glad there are always newer faster products.

The Xbox One X is a very good option if you don't want to break bank. I'm pretty impressed by the performance of that machine.

Armorian

Banned

I'd wait. I made the mistake of getting a 1070ti to replace a 970 and I think it wasn't worth it. Games perform very well at 1080p but it's not enough for a really good experience at 4k.

1060 is usually around 980. Based on 900 and 10x series 1175 will have ~1080ti performance and 1185 will be ~30% faster - probably more with RTX enabled.

Last edited:

sunnz

what are the realistic chances of crypto currencies going way down resulting in thousands of people selling hardware they don't need?

I don't think I understand the point you are trying to make. Are you saying that Nvidia should not release new products or that they should focus in lowering costs for the current tech instead?

Cryptos are going through a bad time right now. I'm pretty sure the market will flooded with many used GPU's by the years end. That said, I don't think Nvidia has got anything to do with how the PC market is right now. I'm pretty sure they are producing as much as they can but the demand is just too high.

Also, PC gaming is more expensive than other forms of gaming. It has always been an enthusiast market. However, there are many offerings. I will never be able to afford a 1180ti or Vega 64 or whatever is the cutting edge is at any moment but I'm still glad there are always newer faster products.

I want Nvidia to not increase their prices every single year, it's quite simple. They are making billions of profits in the AI and machine learning industry, they don't need to bleed gamers for every cent in their purse. Practices like that leave a bad taste in the mouth.

nkarafo

It's closer to a regular 980 (non ti).

I didn't wait for upgrading my 960 to a 1060 and it was the best decision i could make. Not only for the big gap in performance but also for the fact that the 960 was still kinda fresh and i could sell it at a decent price, making the 1060 easier to get. If you wait too long with these things, your previous hardware loses value.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I want Nvidia to not increase their prices every single year, it's quite simple. They are making billions of profits in the AI and machine learning industry, they don't need to bleed gamers for every cent in their purse. Practices like that leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Totally agree with this, i still remember buying a single 580 gtx for only 450 bucks. Good times. Now the top end GPU of it's gen will cost you double if not tripple that.

A.Romero

It's simple but it doesn't make sense. They are a company, they are making money. I think their pricing is competitive unless they have some kind of secret agreement with AMD to keep pricing artificially high.

The whole PC market is kind of crazy right now. RAM is through the roof as well. I just built a new computer and could only afford to install 8 GB of DDR4 at the moment. I imagine those memory prices also impact the pricing of the cards. Also you have to consider inflation. Kenpachii mentioned a 580GTX for 450 US (although the original MSRP was 499 US). That would be about $513 USD today. The 1080 has a MSRP of 600 US so that is less than 20% increase for a product that: has 5 times more memory and produces about 8 times more TFlops.

I know it's frustrating but personally I feel there are way more options available now than 10 years ago. The cutting edge has never been affordable nor will be, it's for people that are willing to burn some money just to squeeze a few more FPS. That tier is not about value. There are way better value based offerings right now.

It's closer to a regular 980 (non ti).

I didn't wait for upgrading my 960 to a 1060 and it was the best decision i could make. Not only for the big gap in performance but also for the fact that the 960 was still kinda fresh and i could sell it at a decent price, making the 1060 easier to get. If you wait too long with these things, your previous hardware loses value.

Yeah, it makes sense in your situation. I'm holding to my 970, I'm thinking about building an arcade cabinet with my former computer. An important factor in my case is that I'm in Mexico, the market is a bit different than the US... Well, the whole economy, specially regarding this stuff.

magnumpy

supposedly the card is ready but it's still too expensive to manufacture and release at a consumer-friendly price. who knows about a release date, it could be 2019 for all I know D:

oh yeah, it's supposedly 12nm and 21.1 billion transistors for the high end?

Last edited:

Apple makes billions too, point is these companies are profit motivated. So until the market feels the need to go elsewhere they won't do you any favors. AMD is still struggling to keep up with Nvidia, that's the problem right there. They forced intel's hand with Ryzen and put some pressure on Nvidia but not on the higher end cards.

Paradicia

Really hope these cards aren't scalped by miners. I've wanted to build a PC since early 2016 but haven't been able to pull the trigger financially until now. If the 1180 is priced above 1000, I might hold out for another few months.

Armorian

Banned
Really hope these cards aren't scalped by miners. I've wanted to build a PC since early 2016 but haven't been able to pull the trigger financially until now. If the 1180 is priced above 1000, I might hold out for another few months.

There is no hope, they will buy first batch in ~24h. Cards won't be on shelves for months, shit os fucked up...

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

For a generational leap the 1060 matched the 980 (16nm vs 28nm) on average based on benchmarking a plethora of games.

For the 1160 if it's 10nm maybe you'll get 1070 performance i'm not expecting a 1080.

manfestival

considering the fact that the 10 series is still super hot right now and graphics cards in general are super hot. The pricing on these are going to be through the roof and there would be no real justification unless you are getting 1080ti graphics from a 1170 on release. I mean I just upgraded to a 1070 and the performance is fantastic. Super pleased with this card and feel like I would be just in diminishing returns if I went to a 1080... not even talking the ti versions.

sertopico

Problem is, nVidia is now pushing on its new RTX technology, which will humiliate any other GPU which doesn't come with this unit. This will happen as soon as new games with hybrid RT/Rasterization engines will be published, the 10 series will be therefore automatically obsolete. In any case, I hope my 1080Ti will last at least one more year.

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I doubt game developers will concentrate on the niche group of people who own a 11-series nv GPU. Your 1080ti will last longer than one more year.

Last edited:
I don't even get why you would release new cards this year like at all. I get gamers want new cards but nVidia can literally run these cards until next gen consoles come out.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't even get why you would release new cards this year like at all. I get gamers want new cards but nVidia can literally run these cards until next gen consoles come out.
I would assume because they want to sell new cards to people who buy new cards whenever they come out.

Shin

Banned
It's bad that AMD isn't offering competition in the high-end section, stagnation might happen if it already isn't.
See Intel and CPU's over the years until Ryzen, the same can be said about GPU's, it also affects what's available for console manufacturer's.
Meaning they might get spoon-fed some crap GPU and made to think it's the hottest shit ever because that's the best AMD got to offer.

-MD-

I'm not paying full price for 2 year old cards, I'll wait for the new ones.

llien

Just a reminder that AMD Vega 64 actually is a solid 1080 competitor, it's only Ti levels where things are missing.

llien

When asked when the next-gen GeForce would arrive, Jensen quipped, "It will be a long time from now. I'll invite you, and there will be lunch." That was it for discussions of the future Turing graphics cards, but that's hardly a surprise. Nvidia doesn't announce new GPUs months in advance -- it will tell us when it's ready to launch. Indications from other sources, including graphics card manufacturers, is that the Turing GPUs will arrive in late July at the earliest, with August/September for lower tier cards and custom designs.

It's bad that AMD isn't offering competition in the high-end section, stagnation might happen if it already isn't.
See Intel and CPU's over the years until Ryzen, the same can be said about GPU's, it also affects what's available for console manufacturer's.
Meaning they might get spoon-fed some crap GPU and made to think it's the hottest shit ever because that's the best AMD got to offer.

well that's what you get when idiots like me bought nvidia cards even when amd had the better offering. shame on you, shame on me. but it's quite unfair to make it sound like that was all amd's fault. it's the result of marketing winning over common sense.

Just a reminder that AMD Vega 64 actually is a solid 1080 competitor, it's only Ti levels where things are missing.

well it's more like amd has to have ruinous product pricing to be pricewise competetive while nvidia is selling what has been mid range silicon for high end money while making dingy margins.

amd is remaining competetive in price. but they sure aren't when it comes to (gaming) perf per die size or perf per watt. and that is what really matter from an economical standpoint.

xwez

Banned

Why stop there? Why don't we just stop releasing new models of anything (vehicles, electronics, etc.). It's all good enough as it is now.

Top Bottom