• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nVidia GeForce GTX 11-series projected to launch in July.

llien

https://seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4182662-nvidia-appears-gpu-inventory-problem

Summary
  • Reports out of Taiwan now suggest that Nvidia has a gaming GPU inventory problem.
  • 'Semiaccurate' reported on the issue yesterday, and cited excess inventory in the channel as the primary reason for new gaming GPU delay.
  • The glut is so severe that one top Asian OEM partner reportedly returned 300k GPUs to Nvidia.

So, faulty chips being produced? (curious, given that process is mature)
UPDATE: never mind.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not sure I buy this, as it was common knowledge (or was it?) that nvidia and AMD withheld ramping up production because they were afraid that mining would crash and they would have all these unsold GPUs. It is quite possible that many people are buying them second hand at much cheaper prices. I, personally, would NEVER buy a GPU that was used for mining.

Nevertheless, this is potentially good news for consumers as nvidia may want to discount these to sell them out.

We shall see.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

https://seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4182662-nvidia-appears-gpu-inventory-problem

Summary
  • Reports out of Taiwan now suggest that Nvidia has a gaming GPU inventory problem.
  • 'Semiaccurate' reported on the issue yesterday, and cited excess inventory in the channel as the primary reason for new gaming GPU delay.
  • The glut is so severe that one top Asian OEM partner reportedly returned 300k GPUs to Nvidia.
300k gpu's. yea they sure as hell won't release new gpu's for a while haha.

McHuj

300k gpu's. yea they sure as hell won't release new gpu's for a while haha.

It's a weird situation. Those waiting for 1170/1180 GPU's won't be buying any existing GPU's as they probably already own 1070/1080 cards. At the current prices, the 1070/80 cards don't look very appealing.

Klik

Summary
Can someone explain what this means? I wanna upgrade my old gpu but i really don't wanna spend money for 10xx series as it's 2 years old

Tarin02543

I don't think we'll see affordable 1080's, those 300k gpu's will more than likely end up in some chinese supercomputer.

n0razi

Im upgrading as soon as either...

- 1080ti hits $400 (or ~$350 used)
- 1170 hits $500 (assuming its faster than a 1080ti)

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
What games will a 1080 ti not run at 60fps, and what is coming out in the near future that will bring it to its knees? Do we really need a new generation with 10-20% gains currently that will take you from 100fps to 120fps?

xwez

Banned
What games will a 1080 ti not run at 60fps, and what is coming out in the near future that will bring it to its knees? Do we really need a new generation with 10-20% gains currently that will take you from 100fps to 120fps?

Metro, cyberpunk, and probably almost any AAA game coming out after 2018. Also yes, we need more power! Besides that, there are those expensive-ass 4k monitors with high refresh rates, so for the people who have the money, they shouldn't be "held back" by the GTX 1080 ti.

MultiCore

You must not own a high refresh rate display.

120-144hz is amazing.

Add in higher resolutions than 1080p and yeah, the 1080 Ti isn't perfect.

I'd love a card that would reliably do 200hz at 1440p.
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG35VQ/

Not to mention higher resolution VR and supersampling. That Pimax isn't going to render those frames itself.

Last edited:

ickythingz

Banned
Metro, cyberpunk, and probably almost any AAA game coming out after 2018. Also yes, we need more power! Besides that, there are those expensive-ass 4k monitors with high refresh rates, so for the people who have the money, they shouldn't be "held back" by the GTX 1080 ti.
This. My 1080ti is not up to the task that my display demands. We really need these new 11 series cards badly. If for nothing else, it will open up more power to devs, which in turn will allow them to take gaming to new heights we desperately need. Gaming has truely stagnated in so many regards. Lack of powerful hardware is a huge factor that limits possible gameplay advances. It is time to move forward.

Leonidas

Probably the titles that use RTX ray tracing settings since 10-series GPUs don't have the dedicated hardware for it.

I don't think we'll see affordable 1080's, those 300k gpu's will more than likely end up in some chinese supercomputer.
they are getting close to their normal prices, so that's good news. I may even get a 1080ti before the end of summer. I just hope I can find one in stock.

masterkajo

Release in July 30th.
8GB RAM
Suppport for DirectX 12.5 and 13.?¿?¿:unsure:
Price between 720-730$.

Yeah... I wouldn't trust GamerMeld. This channel is always stating rumors as facts and basically has one of those per day or as soon as someone posts something about anything somewhere.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
You must not own a high refresh rate display.

120-144hz is amazing.

Add in higher resolutions than 1080p and yeah, the 1080 Ti isn't perfect.

I'd love a card that would reliably do 200hz at 1440p.
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG35VQ/

Not to mention higher resolution VR and supersampling. That Pimax isn't going to render those frames itself.

I can really only tell the difference between 30 and 60 when placed side by side. or when there is a hitch and you have skipped frames. I guess if you can see the difference between 60 and 120 or 144, then fine, but to me, buying a card with the intention of doing more than 60 fps is like buying a $600 HDMI cable, purely psychological. And I own a 1080 ti since it is more profitable to mine with during the 18-20 hours a day I can't use it for gaming.

I'll sell you my FTW3 for $800. PM me with your verified PayPal address.

https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6696-KR

You know, the hybrid version of that card (with an AIO water block), was only $750 2 weeks ago on New Egg. Deals can be found sometimes. *edit* And that specific card is going to be on sale on Newegg today as another 12 hour flash deal, looks like for $750 according to Slickdeals.

Last edited:

MultiCore

I can really only tell the difference between 30 and 60 when placed side by side. or when there is a hitch and you have skipped frames. I guess if you can see the difference between 60 and 120 or 144, then fine, but to me, buying a card with the intention of doing more than 60 fps is like buying a $600 HDMI cable, purely psychological. And I own a 1080 ti since it is more profitable to mine with during the 18-20 hours a day I can't use it for gaming.

You know, the hybrid version of that card (with an AIO water block), was only $750 2 weeks ago on New Egg. Deals can be found sometimes. *edit* And that specific card is going to be on sale on Newegg today as another 12 hour flash deal, looks like for $750 according to Slickdeals.
Well, I guess I don't know what to tell you. The differences are stark at higher framerates. Just try VR without asynchronous frame warp on at 60fps.

Next time you have access to a high refresh rate display, go here: https://www.testufo.com

Make sure to turn on ULMB as well. It's not quite as good as a CRT, but we're getting there.

Last edited:

A.Romero

You should try playing with high refresh rates, it's truly a game changer. I have a pretty big tolerance to play at 30 fps but I can definitely see the difference between 30 and 60. There is absolutely nothing psychological about it. I mean, I enjoyed God of War for example which runs at solid 30 FPS but playing Just Cause 3 or Witcher 3 at 60 FPS with V-Sync is just amazing.

If you can't tell the difference, an Xbox One X will do just fine. There is a market for newer cards. There is a lot of people who can afford it and don't mind upgrading every 6 months. They would probably do it more often if they could.

Kenpachii

Go play at 200+ fps fortnite on a 240hz screen for a week. then drop back to 60 fps an a low hz screen and see how fast you want it back. Stuff will look shoppy and sluggish. And if that 240hz screen has gsync freesync, and the other screen does not, you will feel like your game is broken.

Last edited:

Klik

Between Jensen Huang saying it will be a while before next cards and 7nm being ramping up over next 6 months or so I wonder i'm getting the feeling they are skipping 12nm and going right to 7nm. Which I think they might as well. It will provide a decent leap over 1000 series.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-7nm-next-gen-gpus-tsmc/

Well i think it's time we see midrange cards run 4k above 30fps on higher settings.

Last edited:

MultiCore

Are the cards windows 10 exclusive ??
I wouldn't expect to run them on anything before 7, since that's the most recent driver architecture. (It really started with Vista, but I digress.)

However, all the bleeding edge features are sure to be Windows 10 exclusive, with them being tied to a future version of Direct3D.

Dr.brain64

I wouldn't expect to run them on anything before 7, since that's the most recent driver architecture. (It really started with Vista, but I digress.)

However, all the bleeding edge features are sure to be Windows 10 exclusive, with them being tied to a future version of Direct3D.

Right, makes sense. I should have asked instead: are these cards cpu bound (to the latest gen cpu?). Kinda getting scared here... I really dislike win10

MultiCore

Right, makes sense. I should have asked instead: are these cards cpu bound (to the latest gen cpu?). Kinda getting scared here... I really dislike win10
It'll vary from game to game, and remember, DX12 is supposed to help with CPU load on slower processors, but you need W10 to take advantage of that.

I've been running Windows 10 since beta, on all 7 computers in the house(just like every version since Win95 RC1.). You've got nothing to be scared of. It's great, boots faster than 7 did, it's where all the new gaming-centric features are going to be... It's just not worth being terrified of 10 if you want to play the latest games on the latest hardware, man.

Think I am going to stick with my 1070 and just upgrade my cpu to an i7 7700k using an i5 6700k right now.
I also have a 1070 and a i5 6700k. Feels like my cpu is bottlenecking my pc. Do you think it will be a huge gap in when it comes to performance?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I hope this is true.

If they do come out perhaps I will make an 1180 my christmas present, as it should provide a decent upgrade over my 1070 and allow me to run games at close to 4K/60fps.

Far Cry 5 is already hard to have a steady 60fps at 4K, so future titles like Fallout 76 will struggle too I imagine. Nobody 'needs' anything. Obviously these cards are for the enthusiasts crowd. Do we need cars that go over 100mph?

Top Bottom