• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660. New under $250 GPU king.

Leonidas

$220
1080p beast
Faster than RX 590 while using less than half the power and being $60 cheaper
Performance per watt king at 1080p
Overclocking headroom

Nvidia has complete dominance of the $220-$2500 GPU market.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean yeah, the competition still hasnt released anything since 2017, so of course nvidia has dominance over a 580 with their just released gpu.
Kinda weird how this ocs well, while the ti really doesnt gain very much.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I just bought a 580 last month. I'm probably going to buy one of these to replace it. The 580 isn't stable at the clocks it shipped with. On top of that it is loud and doubles as a space heater. As long as nvidia's pricing is reasonable on this board I'm giving amd the finger.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
I'm always surprised by how far Nvidia enthusiasts will go to oversell their favorite corporation's products.

Putting "1080p" and "beast" next to eachother just feels weird in 2019.

Leonidas

I'm always surprised by how far Nvidia enthusiasts will go to oversell their favorite corporation's products.

Putting "1080p" and "beast" next to eachother just feels weird in 2019.

Everything in the OP is true. Facts aren't over-selling.
It's not weird when you look at Steam hardware survey and see that the vast majority of PC gamers are still gaming on 1080p displays.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Dumb idea to buy any gpu right now though

What conditions need to be met for a GPU purchase to not be dumb to you?
I'm really curious as the 16-series offers a generational improvement, the first generational improvement to the sub $300 GPUs we've seen since 2016.

What more needs to be done to make it worth it for you?

What would you suggest to someone with a very old graphic card (GTX 670)?
You held on this long, wait for next gen. Or at least Navi/7nm nvidia cards.

This 6gb low bandwidth card will be obsolete when next gen launches. I would suggest an 8gb card at the minimum if you must upgrade now, but vega is a power hungry monster and the 2070 is stupid overpriced for what it is. Gpu market is fucked right now.

Of course if you don't care about future proofing whatsoever and can't wait, sure get the 1660, then sell it before new cards launch to recoup some of your money.

Last edited:
See folks, only a corporate drone roots against competition.

Bottom line it's launching in july or so it seems, yes if you have been gaming on the 670 this long that's just a few more months plushyp plushyp

What I think i'll do is buy the ryzen 8 core apu, so I can at least play games while I wait for next gen to launch. And whenever you do sell cards to recoup costs, again you can still play games with integrated. Intel too will have decent integrated graphics whenever they launch 10nm.

Last edited:
I'm not rooting against anyone. I have Ryzen in my rig, 8 Cores at $150. I guess I'm dumb though because I had to buy a GPU to get it to work since according to you buying GPUs is dumb.
It is if you don't time when you sell it right. Also I don't know why pc gamers want "peasant 1080p" still lol.

The same could be said of any GPU. Your argument makes no sense.
It's a bit different now with next gen right around the corner. This is like buying the gtx 570 expecting it to last into ps4 era.

Where as if you bought a 7870 this gen you at least put your performance over base consoles. (Edit : well except textures in some games) Once next gen launches you know what performance you need to keep up with games roughly

In the here and now the 1660 isn't bad just don't get stuck with the thing is all i'm saying.

Last edited:

Leonidas

It's a bit different now with next gen right around the corner.
It's no different than any other GPU generation. 20 or more months away is not right around the corner.

Once next gen launches you know what performance you need to keep up with games roughly
You won't know because console resolutions and settings are highly variable, and they will be especially variable next gen as they target high resolutions. 1660 on the other hand will remain a great 1080p card for a very long time.

Last edited:

Ellery

Is this some sort of confirmation bias or nvidia shilling?

The RX 590 is 230€ where I live and you can find plenty of RX 580 for around 162€.
The RX 590 comes with 3 free AAA games (Resident Evil 2, The Division 2, Devil May Cry5) and the RX 580 comes with 2 games of your choice.

Moreover the AMD cards have 2GB more VRAM which is actually something that people should not forget especially when moving away from 1080p FullHD to higher resolutions.

I mean I need a new PC quite soon, but I feel like all the GPUs are right now are very lackluster in terms of price/performance. Nothing really stands out.
You have this ultra high end segment with the Vega VII, RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti which are all awfully expensive.
Then you have this mid-high end hardware with the Vega 56,64,RTX2070 and maybe older 10 series cards which are getting hard to find because EOL( end of life ).
The RTX 2070 is just too expensive compared to the RTX 2060, but the RTX 2060 is planned obsolescense with that 6GB of VRAM and will soon punch you (the customer)
in the face. The Vega cards are old tech, even though they are good hardware and currently at an amazing price/performance point with 3 games and HBM2 they
still are not quite where you want to be. Power draw, especially when overclocking, is one of the reasons I have not yet made the jump.
And then you have all this crowded space below ranging from the 1660, 570,580 to the 1660 Ti and 590 which are only a bit faster than my GPU from 2013 which is like 5 1/2 years old now.

So my options are basically waiting for 7nm, because I am just not happy where GPUs are right now in terms of price/perf. (I am also waiting for Zen2).

Okay sorry for this personal rant back to the topic at hand. I think there is no reason to buy any of the new weird naming scheme Nvidia cards which are confusing customers into thinking they are higher
up the hierarchy than they actually are other than being a fanboy that absolutely loathes AMD or you plan to stay on 1080p and absolutely don't need any of those 3 games.
Still hoping Nvidia maybe releases something 7nm this year that occupies the 400-500$ segment and isn't hold back by additional RT cores (in terms of price added) or low amount of VRAM, but I don't have
high hopes because AMD needs to force Nvidias hand and it is unlikely that AMD can improve on the horrible Vega enough to release 7nm Navi cards that are disruptive enough.

I can see this card being an upgrade for some. The good stuff probably isn't coming until next year. Nothing wrong with a stop gap. That said, I'd probably just buy 2060. The RTX only cost you something like 30 bucks after price/performance adjustments.

Over the TI, that is.

1080p and am not sure about the budget given how some have said to wait while others to go with 1070ti/1080ti/2060/Vega 56 etc etc.

1080p and considering youre coming from a 670, I'll say go for something used, if you feel comfortable.
Anything will be a big upgrade, considering where youre coming from.
if you want to buy new only, rx580+2 free games or gtx 1660, seem like a good choice for that res and they both are pretty cheap.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
What conditions need to be met for a GPU purchase to not be dumb to you?
I'm really curious as the 16-series offers a generational improvement, the first generational improvement to the sub $300 GPUs we've seen since 2016.

What more needs to be done to make it worth it for you?

The Pascal/Turing generations of cards are going to age HORRIBLY

They aren't analog like the 700/900 series (retro gamers will always need these) but they also don't support HDMI 2.1 either

They are great for now or if you still have a 400/500 series card but other than that I'd wait

The Pascal/Turing generations of cards are going to age HORRIBLY

They aren't analog like the 700/900 series (retro gamers will always need these) but they also don't support HDMI 2.1 either

They are great for now or if you still have a 400/500 series card but other than that I'd wait
Well to be fair high end Turing should be ok or at least the 2080 ti for next gen - Its got good async compute unlike pascal - at least until drivers start being shit.

2.1 really only matters for hdr @4k and hdr is a joke on pc

Ascend

Yeah... The ones celebrating this will soon enough feel the hurt in their pockets when AMD is completely out of the picture.

Ascend

Good thing Intel is getting in the GPU market, maybe they can actually compete against Nvidia :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
True, although I doubt Intel will be immediately competing at the high end. To get an idea.... AMD's internal GPUs on their CPU parts are vastly superior than Intel's... Are we really to expect that Intel can do on the graphical performance front what AMD can't?

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Are we really to expect that Intel can do on the graphical performance front what AMD can't?

Are we living in an age where we doubt Intel’s engineering prowess? If they really wanted to and the shareholders didn’t mind the huge R&D spend, Intel could embarass Nvidia.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Still hanging out on my 970 until the next gen of cards. Originally wanted to go all in on high end last year... Then came NV with the 2080ti price point...

Nope... Here's me hoping their next high end cards will be worth the price they ask for em.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Now is a fine time to buy a GPU. Have people forgotten the crazy prices during the big mining craze? Right now you can get a RX 580 8GB for $189 with 2 of 3 game options consisting of the The Division 2, DMC 5, or RE2.

The 1660 6GB at $220 is a good card too. When overclocked it manages a 15% increase in framerate in a game like TW3, putting around the same neighborhood as a stock Vega 56 at 1080p. For $220.

Next-gen consoles are probably 18 months away, and I doubt they'll blow the 1660 6GB oc'd out of the water at 1080p anyway. Next-gen consoles are supposed to be between a Vega 56 and a Vega 64 in power. If you need a new card just go for it.

Ascend

Are we living in an age where we doubt Intel’s engineering prowess? If they really wanted to and the shareholders didn’t mind the huge R&D spend, Intel could embarass Nvidia.
Note how I said they won't be competing at the high end immediately. Sure. In the long term, they can possibly overtake nVidia. But as of now, the fact that Intel integrated graphics are inferior to AMD's, and the fact that Intel at one point even resorted to Vega for graphics, is quite telling. We can't expect Intel to suddenly shake the whole market with their first graphics card. If Intel releases their first GPU in the next year or two, we should be expecting an upper mid range card at best (GTX 1070/2060/Vega64 range). Not a 2080Ti killer.

And do we really expect Intel to play the game of lowering prices to compete with nVidia? Nah...

thelastword

Banned

I am not impressed either....3-7% better perf over a RX 590, but at least you get 3 relatively new highly rated games with the Radeon Card.....About 10-13% more perf over an RX 580, but you can get an RX 580 for $169-189 and it was even cheaper earlier in the year...You also get two highly rated games of your choosing with top notch graphics with every RX-580 purchase.....

Besides, that 6GB GDDR5 will show it's weakness soon and with more DX12 titles coming, there is not going to be a huge divide between an RX 590 and 1660....It's funny too, because RX 590 is basically a RX 580 at 12nm OC'd, a refresh if you will, and 1660 is only about 3-7% faster than that card on a brand new NV architecture.......RX 590 is still polaris........If Turing is all they have this year, Nvidia is in trouble...What's next? The GTX 1650 with 3-4GB Vram that will barely beat an RX 570 in some games or a GT 1630 with DDR4 memory?

Leonidas

weird naming scheme Nvidia cards which are confusing customers into thinking they are higher up the hierarchy than they actually are

How is 1060 to 1660 higher in the hierarchy? x60 to x60 is the same tier. It's a new generation. 1660 is a generational improvement.

What you're accusing Nvidia of is what AMD actually did with cards you just recommended. 580, 590 vs 480.

To get an idea.... AMD's internal GPUs on their CPU parts are vastly superior than Intel's...

Intel Iris Pro was faster than AMD integrated solutions for a number of years.

Are we really to expect that Intel can do on the graphical performance front what AMD can't?

Don't know what to expect, but I have more hope for Intel than AMD, which for the past 5 years has been a continuous wait for the next big thing that fails to match Nvidia.

Leonidas

Tell us more about the future.
Judging by current rumors this is the expectation. Massive jump over current gen, but is already a mid-range GPU today in the PC landscape and by the time next-gen launches who knows where it will be compared to Nvidia, Intel and AMD GPUs.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Tell us more about the future.
There's no "us", it's just you. If you think they will offer better performance than the Vega 64 then great.

I believe the 2-tier Xbox $250 4TF "Lockhart" and $500 12TF "Anaconda" rumor. I'm expecting a $400 PS5, so in effect next-gen will be something in between Vega 56 and 64. I'll be surprised if a $400 2020 console can even outperform an overclocked RTX 2060.

bati

1080p and considering youre coming from a 670, I'll say go for something used, if you feel comfortable.
Anything will be a big upgrade, considering where youre coming from.
if you want to buy new only, rx580+2 free games or gtx 1660, seem like a good choice for that res and they both are pretty cheap.

That's what I did with the Rx 580. Card prices here in Europe (some parts, anyway) are significantly higher than the msrp or even US retailer prices, enough to push cards like the 2060 (which costs 400 to 450€ here) out of an impulse buy range. And since I'll make a full pc upgrade next year I also wanted to avoid scenarios where my i5 4670k would be the bottleneck, rather than the card. Plus I planned on buying The Division 2 which pretty much made the choice for me. Extra game on top was just an added bonus really.

bitbydeath

Judging by current rumors this is the expectation. Massive jump over current gen, but is already a mid-range GPU today in the PC landscape and by the time next-gen launches who knows where it will be compared to Nvidia, Intel and AMD GPUs.

The rumours from AMD themselves was that Navi is going to be competing with high end Turing cards.

It’s also expected to be the first AMD card that moves away from GCN.

There's no "us", it's just you. If you think they will offer better performance than the Vega 64 then great.

I believe the 2-tier Xbox $250 4TF "Lockhart" and $500 12TF "Anaconda" rumor. I'm expecting a $400 PS5, so in effect next-gen will be something in between Vega 56 and 64. I'll be surprised if a $400 2020 console can even outperform an overclocked RTX 2060.

You’re underestimating the jump to 7nm and matching against 12nm/15nm tech. You’re also guessing PS4 will be $399.

So what else do you see in your crystal ball?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
You’re underestimating the jump to 7nm and matching against 12nm/15nm tech. You’re also guessing PS4 will be $399.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm fine with going with more conservative estimates. I'm also cool with the fact you are expecting consoles to be more powerful than a Vega 64.

Going by "just wait for Polaris" and "just wait for Vega"...I'm cool with the $500 12TF "Anaconda" rumor.

Top Bottom