• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti GPU configuration confirmed, gaming performance leaked

Faustek

ok so it's just I that think it weird that they write

"Full HD". Then again I haven't touched 3Dmark in ages but every test I've seen everywhere else have never used the term "full HD". That is something that has only been associated with PR fluff for TVs and consoles since everyone is to keen on not using the correct term "sub-hd" for everything below 1080p

ok so it's just I that think it weird that they write

"Full HD". Then again I haven't touched 3Dmark in ages but every test I've seen everywhere else have never used the term "full HD". That is something that has only been associated with PR fluff for TVs and consoles since everyone is to keen on not using the correct term "sub-hd" for everything below 1080p

HD is 720p
Full HD is 1080p
Ultra HD is 4K

AMD got some big driver boosts last year closer to the end from memory. But not just 280x; 290 and 290x also got some fairly good improvements, not only relative to Kepler but also to Maxwell. But the additional allegation that Kepler performance is tanking and not being optimised seems unsupported by those links.

In the first chart the 970 - 780ti are within spitting distance of each other, slightly 780ti favoured. The 780 is like <10% below these two. In the second the high end comparison is useless since they all top out at 60 no matter what, but the 780 is almost at the top there with them too, a min of 56 or something. In the third chart the 780ti and 970 are once again close together with slight advantage to the Ti, and 780 regular about 10% below them. That all seems roughly in line with what it should be, no?

Yasae

Banned
Such a hard call, but I'll wait a year for the next gen of cards, this one has been a stop gap generation. Struggling with this 770gtx, but I have such a big back log it'll be fine.
Same here. 770 has been one of the weakest purchases I've made. Meanwhile the 460 back in 2010 was one of the best. $200 and that card held on for years.

Sigh.

viveks86

I am in tears over here. How could they release a 980Ti? How could they do this to me? Fuk Nvidia Andy pls

tumblr_lyowetKWYe1qfkbxw.gif

Acer has a 28" 4K 60hz G-Sync panel out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009658

So now you can stop making excuses :p

Honestly, I don't see the appeal of the "peripheral" vision on multi-monitor setups. It comes at a huge performance cost for additional real-estate that you'll only barely see. At that point, and where we are now, just wait for final hardware for the Vive and Rift to come out. People seem to do it more for the "bling, look at me 3 monitors l337 g4m3r" aspect rather than actual graphical fidelity (not saying that's why you'd want it).

Of course, those setups are legitimate for things like racing or flight simulators but, again, VR. For me, the idea setup would be a 27" 1440p IPS GSync panel (XB270HU) and 2x 24" 1080p panels on either side for coding working and reading web content.

You're totally right about just waiting for VR.

Thanks for the link to the 28". I'll check it out.

njean777

Why would they release this card after releasing the Titan X? Aren't they going to lose money from the people who would have just bought the Titan instead and now will buy this?

CHC

The dangers of buying cards close to new gen of consoles.

Yeah really. Kinda regret going all-in on a 780, my first and only top-of-the-line purchase (in its day). I think in the future I'll just stick to the $300 sweet spot.

so many tears. i am distraught. DISTRAUGHT

eBay dat shit, most people would probably pay like $50 less than you bought for them there, I don't think anyone does their research.

Yeah really. Kinda regret going all-in on a 780, my first and only top-of-the-line purchase (in its day). I think in the future I'll just stick to the $300 sweet spot.

eBay dat shit, most people would probably pay like $50 less than you bought for them there, I don't think anyone does their research.

I regret nothing of my 780.

GHG

Gold Member
I am in tears over here. How could they release a 980Ti? How could they do this to me? Fuk Nvidia Andy pls

Hope you got your Titan X's through EVGA Smokey.

You need to use their step up program to get these.

But seriously, what's the TDP of these cards? Will it be the same as the TItan X or less? Does anyone know?

No reason to upgrade from 970 sli. It near maxes witcher 3 on my rog swift (1440p).

SLI has its problems but don't see hassle of flipping these cards for a single one yet

GHG

Gold Member
No reason to upgrade from 970 sli. It near maxes witcher 3 on my rog swift (1440p).

SLI has its problems but don't see hassle of flipping these cards for a single one yet

Well it technically wouldn't even be an upgrade unless you have issues with SLI (I never have in the last 3 years) or there is a factory overclocked 980ti such as the inevitable classified version.

Yasae

Banned
The dangers of buying cards close to new gen of consoles.
It wouldn't have been a waste of money had my monitor not died (it was 10 years old almost - literally burnt out). So I buy a new one and of course I'm not choosing 1080p - future proofing and all that right? But I had gotten the 770 6 months prior. I went from 1280x1024 to 2560x1440. Goodbye playing games at native res! Well except maybe GTA V...

I'd just like to buy two cards or less for the whole gen and be done with it. This shit gets old really fast.

mkenyon

Banned
For those curious about those gains AMD cards are making in comparison to Kepler cards, I found the post:

Sure thing.

At the 780 launch, it was 20% faster than a 7970GHz (which is an overclocked 280X).
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780/images/perfrel_1920.gif

At the 290 launch, it was 19% faster than a 280X, and equal to a 290:
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290/images/perfrel_1920.gif

In the most recent review summary, it is 13% faster than a 280X, while the 290 is 9% faster.
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_960_G1_Gaming/images/perfrel_1920.gif

More evidence:

An average of 10 games released in late 2014:
http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...rds-game_2014-video-test-games__2014_1920.jpg
Source http://gamegpu.ru/test-video-cards/igry-2014-goda-protiv-sovremennykh-videokart.html

The 780 is only 10% faster than a 280X, and the 290 enjoys a 9% lead again.

And in the newest PC release the 780 is only 3% faster than a 280X while the 290 flaunts a 25% lead:
http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...s-Test_GPU-Action-Evolve-test-Evolve_1920.jpg

Would I choose a 780 over a 280X if both cards were offered for free? Yes. But would I pay more for a 780 over a 290, let alone the even more radically cheaper 280X? No! Even a 290X can be had for the same price as a 780, and it's 20% faster in the 2014 video game test. Not to mention, more VRAM for even more longevity.

GHG

Gold Member
It wouldn't have been a waste of money had my monitor not died (it was 10 years old almost - literally burnt out). So I buy a new one and of course I'm not choosing 1080p - future proofing and all that right? But I had gotten the 770 6 months prior. I went from 1280x1024 to 2560x1440. Goodbye playing games at native res! Well except maybe GTA V...

I'd just like to buy two cards or less for the whole gen and be done with it. This shit gets old really fast.

You've got to get your timing right an get the best single or dual GPU setup at the time that you can for the resolution you play at (within whatever budget you set of course).

I got 2 3GB 660's in SLI despite for roughly £300 almost 3 years ago despite every man and their dog telling me it was a mistake on here and that I would have been better off with a single 2gb 680/670.

Fast forward to now, I see people struggling with their single 2gb 670/680 setups, meanwhile my 2 3gb 660's are still trooping along maxing out witcher 3 (with AA and hairworks on) at 30fps locked at 1080p.

One thing I've learnt when doing PC upgrades - don't listen to other people. Do your research (benchmarks, reviews, YouTube videos) and get whatever you think is best for your needs.

You can buy 2 cards and be set for a generation, you've just got to be smart about it.

Qassim

Kepler performance drop off since fall 2014 is not just one game. 780Ti can still hang with the newer cards since it's Big Kepler. It's the 660 through 780 guys that really are feeling the sting of Nvidia's Gameworks.

The 780 is also "Big Kepler".

Don Lapre

Only paid ~$850 for my Titan X after the 10% ebay bucks promo. If the 980ti is $750 id rather pay $100 more for 6 more gb of vram.

ruddiger7

Banned
Not a chance. The most recent rumoured price tag is USD$799, which is $50 more than what the 780 Ti launched at. Couple that with how shit our dollar is at the moment and you're looking at $1199 at the absolute least.

Cant see it being that much. I was thinking around the 1000 dollar mark. If its that bloody price though Ill pick up two titan x next week.

Durante

Why would you ever benchmark a card like this at 1080p?

That's like evaluating a Jaguar by driving to work in the morning.

Seanspeed

Banned
Fast forward to now, I see people struggling with their single 2gb 670/680 setups, meanwhile my 2 3gb 660's are still trooping along maxing out witcher 3 (with AA and hairworks on) at 30fps locked at 1080p.
That's great, but a single 670 will be close to maxing the game out at a locked 30fps too, just without Hairworks. So yea, you've spent an extra $100+(probably more since you got two 3GB versions) for a couple settings.

So there's that, but the biggest reason people advise against it is that SLI has occasional issues and more often than not does not have support Day 1 for most games, with some games only getting it very late or never at all.

It's a risk vs reward thing that will pay off at times, and not so much at other times. Personally, I'd say that it can be a worthy route to go down if you're looking for an alternative to an extremely high end card, stacking two good midrange cards instead. That's where the value in it lies. But the value proposition doesn't sound nearly as good against an upper mid range card.

Not trying to make you feel bad or anything, glad you're happy with your purchase, but there is a reason people advise what they do often enough and I don't think it's good to just always dismiss what some people are telling you.

Firebrand

Kepler performance drop off since fall 2014 is not just one game. 780Ti can still hang with the newer cards since it's Big Kepler. It's the 660 through 780 guys that really are feeling the sting of Nvidia's Gameworks.
Is there anything particular about Maxwell that makes them better equipped for GameWorks other than just being faster? Can't you simply disable the GameWorks stuff?

Seems to me it's kinda like PhysX, which also had a significant performance impact for what (imo) little you got in return.

Seanspeed

Banned
Has Kepler performance 'dropped off' or has Nvidia simply made driver improvements for Maxwell since it was new architecture and had plenty of room for improvement stil?

GHG

Gold Member
That's great, but a single 670 will be close to maxing the game out at a locked 30fps too, just without Hairworks. So yea, you've spent an extra $100+(probably more since you got two 3GB versions) for a couple settings.

So there's that, but the biggest reason people advise against it is that SLI has occasional issues and more often than not does not have support Day 1 for most games, with some games only getting it very late or never at all.

It's a risk vs reward thing that will pay off at times, and not so much at other times. Personally, I'd say that it can be a worthy route to go down if you're looking for an alternative to an extremely high end card, stacking two good midrange cards instead. That's where the value in it lies. But the value proposition doesn't sound nearly as good against an upper mid range card.

Not trying to make you feel bad or anything, glad you're happy with your purchase, but there is a reason people advise what they do and I don't think it's good to just always dismiss what some people are telling you.

At the end of the day I got the best price/perf available to the at the time and managed to get 2 3gb cards instead of the 2gb ones due to what turned out to be a misprice from Scan. Even if I had to pay the extra £40 it should have to get them at the time I was still prepared to do it due to knowing the whole "2gb is enough" mantra that was going on at the time was not going to be the case in the long run.

I got them for less than I could have any version of the 670 at the time and they perform much better than any 670 would across the board barring games where there is no sli support such as wolfenstein. In the time I've had them I can count on one hand games I've had SLI issues with. And all of those got fixed relatively quickly anyway.

The reason people advise you to get certain things is because they are more often than not advising based on what would be best for them. Hence why I say it's best to take the time and do some research of your own such as reviews/benchmarks/YouTube gameplay videos on the hardware you are considering. That will inform you better than anyone on here will be able to on whether the hardware you are considering is suited to your needs.

Why would you ever benchmark a card like this at 1080p?

That's like evaluating a Jaguar by driving to work in the morning.

That's because that's the resolution a lot of people who buy this card will play at.

Also, the most common use of Jaguars is people driving to work in them :) .

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cant see it being that much. I was thinking around the 1000 dollar mark. If its that bloody price though Ill pick up two titan x next week.

$1199 would still be $350-$400 cheaper than the Titan X, so I wouldn't discount the possibility.

Has Kepler performance 'dropped off' or has Nvidia simply made driver improvements for Maxwell since it was new architecture and had plenty of room for improvement stil?
Well the performance relative to AMD also changed, so either it dropped off or AMD improved it more.

Seanspeed

Banned
At the end of the day I got the best price/perf available to the at the time and managed to get 2 3gb cards instead of the 2gb ones due to what turned out to be a misprice from Scan. Even if I had to pay the extra £40 it should have to get them at the time I was still prepared to do it due to knowing the whole "2gb is enough" mantra that was going on at the time was not going to be the case in the long run.

I got them for less than I could have any version of the 670 at the time
So you got extremely lucky with some pretty major pricing mistakes then. No way should two premium 660's have cost less than a single 2GB 670.

When people give advice, they probably aren't taking into consideration that a person may have some very unusual and fortunate pricing situation they can take advantage of.

But yea, always do research of your own. I wasn't saying anybody should rely *solely* on the advise of others, but to suggest that people completely ignore advice is probably not a very good approach, either. It is not always just people saying what is best for themselves. SLI issues are not uncommon, for instance. So you say it was great for you, but I will still caution people about it because it is a known source of problems at times.

Well the performance relative to AMD also changed, so either it dropped off or AMD improved it more.
But haven't AMD improved? That's what many keep telling me.

Top Bottom