• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060/2070 Super Review Thread. New $399/$499 GPU King.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I am waiting for some 2080S benchmarks but even if I wanted a 2070S its still out of stock.
You might already know this, but when RX 480 and GTX 1060 released I used the Nowinstock.net tracker and Newegg Auto-notify to hunt them down...
Are you after the 2070S FE? Looks like that's the only option for 2080S, with Zotac Gaming Amp coming soon.

Reactions: 888

You might already know this, but when RX 480 and GTX 1060 released I used the Nowinstock.net tracker and Newegg Auto-notify to hunt them down...
Are you after the 2070S FE? Looks like that's the only option for 2080S, with Zotac Gaming Amp coming soon.

I’m still up in the air on a FE or Partner card. It helps they aren’t using blowers anymore. I glanced at a stock tracker yesterday and it looks pretty empty. I figured I would give it a week or so to see what stock looks like. Luckily I’m not in a rush since I have a 1070 to hold me over. Gives me the ability to really pick what I want.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I’m still up in the air on a FE or Partner card. It helps they aren’t using blowers anymore.
The FEs are nice, so if I go 2060S over a 5700 card I've decided to go with the FE if there's no partner AiBs at the same price. Why spend more when the FE are cool, quiet, and have decent OC.

Excellent design:
960x0.jpg

The FEs are nice, so if I go 2060S over a 5700 card I've decided to go with the FE if there's no partner AiBs at the same price. Why spend more when the FE are cool, quiet, and have decent OC.

Excellent design:
960x0.jpg

Yeah they certainly have come a long way. I suppose I could do a FE and push the OC myself as long as the cooling keeps up.

Last edited:

Vbrasa

Holy moly, it apparently will be quite the big jump.

Huge, u will jump up in games that barely run at 15 fps on high towards ultra 60 fps at higher resolutions. It's night and day 2070 super is basically specially if you oc it a 1080 ti.

I've still been managing to play Overwatch at 150 frames a second with the 960. I know that's not a very taxxing game, but it's what I've been playing the most of lately (due to a summer work schedule of 6 days a week, hahah), but I'm definitely looking more into bigger games like Nier, and Wolfenstein, etc.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
True but if you were to put a water block on it, the binned chip would get better OC or temps, I'd assume.
That's what the Tom's Hardware article I linked in the edit above mentioned. You can use the 3DMark database to see what cards are the fastest. For Time Spy RTX 2070 the brands that populate the Top 50 are mostly MSI, EVGA, and Gigabyte.

Evilms

Banned
2 others reviews for 2070 S from techpowerup :

Pulled the trigger on one. Got the Asus Strix 2070 Super A8G. Wanted the O8G but I can’t find any trace of it truly existing outside of Asus product pages. I’ll just finish the overclock myself.

I wanted a FE but I figured I would just do Asus since I have 3 of them already and they have never failed me. Unlike Evga cards I’ve had.

I did next day shipping so hopefully should have it for the weekend.

Kenpachii

Aint gona lie 2070s is what the 2070 should have been. Still to high price tho 399 and i would picked it up.

Last edited:

Aint gona lie 2070s is what the 2070 should have been. Still to high price tho 399 and i would picked it up.

Yeah. I basically just paid 514 after the games were deducted. I paid 440ish for my Strix 1070S

I am just glad to see more performance out of these. Tho I wish I could have done the 2080s but the price would have been near 800 for a partner board and then I really don’t see how much closer they can push to a 2080ti and they say the ti isn’t getting a super. I suspect the 2080 may not be getting as big of a boost as the 2060 and 2070.

Ivellios

Navi 5700 XT lose to the 2070S by 5-10% approximately depending on the game, and you save $100.

Though if you care about RTX than this is not really an option

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Contemplating if I should get the 2070S over the 2080S now that it’s back in stock, but I have a thirst for power. I’ll wait and see how the 2080S fairs.

Last edited:

Contemplating if I should get the 2070S over the 2080S now that it’s back in stock, but I have a thirst for power. I’ll wait and see how the 2080S fairs.

I was in the same boat. Went with the 2070s because I’m hoping for a big uptick in power with their next line up. I mostly needed a card to pass one of mine down to a kid.

Disaster has struck!

My sons pc which is next to mine started making some serious fan ramping sounds. Took it apart and the water cooler leaked all over his 1070. I’m trying to get the liquid out but I can get it all without taking it apart and voiding what’s left of the warranty. Grrrr.

Edit, Seem to have saved the GPU. Went back to testing and fired up FF15. Set DSR to 4K and turned on DLSS. Getting 59FPS Maxed. The game is a beauty to see in motion.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Looks like Wolfenstein Youngblood, which comes with current purchases of RTX cards, is launching a day early on PC :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Took it apart and the water cooler leaked all over his 1070. I’m trying to get the liquid out but I can get it all without taking it apart and voiding what’s left of the warranty. Grrrr.

Stories like this push me towards air cooling, I doubt I'll ever get a liquid cooled PC part again out of fear that this might happen. Air cooling satisfies my needs.
I'm curious though, was it an AIO that leaked? If so which brand?

Looks like Wolfenstein Youngblood, which comes with current purchases of RTX cards, is launching a day early on PC :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Stories like this push me towards air cooling, I doubt I'll ever get a liquid cooled PC part again out of fear that this might happen. Air cooling satisfies my needs.
I'm curious though, was it an AIO that leaked? If so which brand?

It was a deepcool captain 240 RGB. I’ve worked mostly with Corsair and only had one pump die on those and no other issues. Certainly no leaks. This was the one time I went with another brand. Just ordered a h100i from Corsair to replace it. Still doesn’t change my mind on water cooling. I have one air cooled pc and it’s ok but cleaning it is a pain in the ass.

Leonidas

2070 Super NVLink was tested.

Most NVLink scaling leaves a bit to be desired but Shadow of the Tomb Raider sees insane performance at 4K with NVLink, 86% scaling makes 2070 Super NVLink 37% faster than 2080 Ti in that instance. Would be nice if more games saw that kind of NVLink scaling.

Kenpachii

Yeah. I basically just paid 514 after the games were deducted. I paid 440ish for my Strix 1070S

I am just glad to see more performance out of these. Tho I wish I could have done the 2080s but the price would have been near 800 for a partner board and then I really don’t see how much closer they can push to a 2080ti and they say the ti isn’t getting a super. I suspect the 2080 may not be getting as big of a boost as the 2060 and 2070.

That's a really good deal, i personally went for a 1080 ti for 450 with 3 years warranty msi gaming one, like it so far.

Navi 5700 XT lose to the 2070S by 5-10% approximately depending on the game, and you save $100.

Though if you care about RTX than this is not really an option

Its slower and its AMD, has less support, less features. Yea u aint saving nothing.

For 400 bucks i would buy a 1080 ti with warranty and be done.

AMD really killed there card lineup off when they pushed it towards those prices. There is tons of GPU's out there on nvidia in that price area. Sadly there is nothing under the 300 mark that is actually good.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Damn, 2060/2070 Super is a beast in Divinci Resolve.
RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB is overall about 24% faster than the Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB while the RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB is even faster... This is a significant lead for NVIDIA and one that is going to require a lot of work on AMD's part to overcome.

Source

Last edited:

Leonidas

HUB says GeForce Sharpening Filter > RIS :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Impressive stuff. Hoping DLSS redeems itself eventually though as the technology is interesting.

Reactions: 888

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Impressive stuff. Hoping DLSS redeems itself eventually though as the technology is interesting.

I saw this. It's excellent news. DLSS was indeed dog shit, but they learned from AMD and made their own product better.

Leonidas

I saw this. It's excellent news. DLSS was indeed dog shit, but they learned from AMD and made their own product better.

Pretty insane how Nvidia came out with an enhanced sharpening filter so fast. RIS came out only last month and Nvidia has already improved their sharpening filter to be better than what AMD came out with (according to HUB), and it works on older GeForce cards too :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Pretty insane how Nvidia came out with an enhanced sharpening filter so fast. RIS came out only last month and Nvidia has already improved their sharpening filter to be better than what AMD came out with (according to HUB), and it works on older GeForce cards too :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
Nvidia deserves props for making changes to their drivers that respond to Intel and AMDs challenges.

Leonidas

Nvidia deserves props for making changes to their drivers that respond to Intel and AMDs challenges.

Yeah, Nvidia did a great job at improving features they already had. It's too bad AMD doesn't have hardware that supports the latest DirectX 12 tech such as DXR and Variable Rate Shading.

Ascend

If the roles were reversed, everyone would be saying that AMD is always late and are copying nVidia.

Yeah, Nvidia did a great job at improving features they already had. It's too bad AMD doesn't have hardware that supports the latest DirectX 12 tech such as DXR and Variable Rate Shading.
I guess it must be really great to play games with a few nicer reflections at 720p 65 fps or 1080p 45 fps with a $400 graphics card.

Last edited:

Leonidas

I guess it must be really great to play games with a few nicer reflections at 720p 65 fps or 1080p 45 fps with a $400 graphics card.

Next-Gen Ultra High graphics feature lowers FPS. Shocking.
Turn DLSS on and that $400 card gives 1080p60 average. Much better experience than to not even be able to run the game at max settings because your preferred vendor didn't include next-gen features in their latest cards.

Ascend

Next-Gen Ultra High graphics feature lowers FPS. Shocking.
Turn DLSS on and that $400 card gives 1080p60 average. Much better experience than to not even be able to run the game at max settings because your preferred vendor didn't include next-gen features in their latest cards.
Look at all that next gen difference.

Keep up the excuses though. If it was the exact same situation in reverse with AMD having ray tracing and nVidia on the side lines, you would all be slamming it.

Leonidas

Keep up the excuses though. If it was the exact same situation in reverse with AMD having ray tracing and nVidia on the side lines, you would all be slamming it.

Excuses? I have the game. I played the game, looks insane with RTX enabled and performs great for me as well. Can't imagine playing this masterpiece without Ray Tracing.

Ascend

Excuses? I have the game. I played the game, looks insane with RTX enabled and performs great for me as well. Can't imagine playing this masterpiece without Ray Tracing.
Are you playing at 480p? Because right now there is one rule. RTX on = FPS off

Let me guess. It's a masterpiece because it has RTX :messenger_smirking:

Top Bottom