• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Retail Launch Now Oct 29th Day after Big Navi Reveal,

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

NVIDIA has just announced that the retail launch of its GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card has been pushed back to the end of October. The announcement comes just weeks after the launch of the GeForce RTX 3090 and GeForce RTX 3080 graphics cards which had severely limited quantities at launch and to make sure that it isn't the case with the RTX 3070, NVIDIA has updated its schedule.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Retail Launch Now A Day After AMD's Radeon RX 6000 Series Unveil
As per the latest schedule, the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 would now be available for retail on the 29th of October. This is almost a 2 weeks delay compared to the previous launch day of 15th. The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 specifications and prices remain unchanged but it looks like users who were planning to get the GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card on launch should now just wait to see what competition has to offer as AMD's Radeon RX 6000 series would be unveiled just a day prior to the retail launch.

Not sure what to make of this move. It could be seen as ballsy or desperate.
My guess? They're having supply issues and want to there to be more time to have more product in store for launch, since they will likely sell out quickly and give a big opening to AMD.

That's just my guess.

Last edited:

RobRSG

Hopefully they have at least enough cards available by then. 3080 and 3090 launches gone by and there are still no cards available as of now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hopefully they have at least enough cards available by then. 3080 and 3090 launches gone by and there are still no cards available as of now.
I am VERY glad I missed out on a 3080. The rumors of a 20GB variant make me feel like I will come out way ahead missing the launch. To be fair, I didn't even try to get one, but I could have busted out the credit card if one had falled into my lap.

Malakhov

Banned
If AMD can get some stock for their new cards they will do extremely well. I'm about to tell nvidia to fucking get lost.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If AMD can get some stock for their new cards they will do extremely well. I'm about to tell nvidia to fucking get lost.
For me it depends completely on how well the cards perform. If AMD cards underdeliver (possible, but I am expecting them to tread water) then nvidia will roll.

But I am not buying the 3070 or 3080 in their current variants. I'll consider the 16GB and 20GB refreshes though.
Drivers from AMD would still have me pause even if their cards smash in terms of performance.

Last edited:

RobRSG

I am VERY glad I missed out on a 3080. The rumors of a 20GB variant make me feel like I will come out way ahead missing the launch. To be fair, I didn't even try to get one, but I could have busted out the credit card if one had falled into my lap.

I am still salty over the fact that only youtubers and scalpers got the cards... Only to help this failure they call launch, Igor’s Lab jumped the gun and called hardware failure over a driver issue. Great times for Nvidia.

synce

I'd wager to avoid a shitstorm from reducing the price just two weeks after release when AMD outperforms and undercuts them. This will give them a day to react.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd wager to avoid a shitstorm from reducing the price just two weeks after release when AMD outperforms and undercuts them. This will give them a day to react.
That's what's funny is that there are multiple ways to look at it. It could be damage control or it could be nvidia wanting to twist the knife.

Malakhov

Banned
For me it depends completely on how well the cards perform. If AMD cards underdeliver (possible, but I am expecting them to tread water) then nvidia will roll.

But I am not buying the 3070 or 3080 in their current variants. I'll consider the 16GB and 20GB refreshes though.
Drivers from AMD would still have me pause even if their cards smash in terms of performance.
If I don't get a 3080 in the next week then I'll wait for amd or bigger vram version of the 3080, at worst.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am still salty over the fact that only youtubers and scalpers got the cards... Only to help this failure they call launch, Igor’s Lab jumped the gun and called hardware failure over a driver issue. Great times for Nvidia.
Im far more salty and pissed for not being able to secure a PS5 or XSX pre-order, especially XSX. I had multiple websites ready to go trying to get one. Just one. Tried for hours and couldn't get one to go through. Wasn't interested in scalping in anyway. I am just hoping that a lot of people who ordered multiple will cancel a few of theirs once they get a shipping confirmation. Of course, something else I am hopeful for is that credit card companies are cancelling credit cards for people who are out of work, I suspect MANY orders will end up cancelled and I am hoping I can swoop right in.

Ellery

Huh weird. One day after Shadowlands was announced for Oct 27th Nvidia decided to move up the release of the 3070 to Oct 15th and one day after Shadowlands was delayed Nvidia postponed the RTX 3070 as well.

Might just be a coincidence

AMD is announcing their cards on the 28th, not releasing them, so this makes no sense.

Last edited:
I mean it isn't official confirmation, but the AMD Radeon marketing guy kind of implied that Oct 28th is not a paper launch for the 6000 series cards.

The 28th is the announcement, isn't it? It's not the launch last I checked so you can't call it a paper launch at all. Just like September 1st was the announcement of Ampere and the 14th, the launch.

Ellery

The 28th is the announcement, isn't it? It's not the launch last I checked so you can't call it a paper launch at all. Just like September 1st was the announcement of Ampere and the 14th, the launch.

Yes I think it can be interpreted that way as well. I, too, would be surprised if AMD showed the cards on the 28th and will be available on the same day.

Orta

Banned
Pointless card. And I had it earmarked as my next gpu. It'll either be the ti variant instead or big navi if it lives up to the hype.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Milking the FOMO a bit longer for more 80/90 sales once the short supply issues are fixed for those.
You can't sale what isn't available....
qn0p3mkygvyo.jpg

I agree..I wanna throw down some loot for the 3080 but the 10 gbs is really throwing me off

Top Bottom