• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 to have 24GB GDDR6X VRAM, RTX 3080 10GB VRAM

Tschumi

Although i am a PC gamer, the amounts of money dedicated graphics questers spend when one of these top of the line graphics cards suddenly becomes obsolete is jaw dropping. Yeah, consoles are definitely making sense to me these days.

Hostile_18

Banned
Although i am a PC gamer, the amounts of money dedicated graphics questers spend when one of these top of the line graphics cards suddenly becomes obsolete is jaw dropping. Yeah, consoles are definitely making sense to me these days.

Seems like the top cards just aren't worth it IMO cost to performance increase is insane. Lower high end is where it's at for most of us.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Oh yes that is still a mighty fine CPU. I was considering going with a Ryzen 3600 but decided to go with something with a little more longevity. When did you first pick up your i7?
I picked it up back in 2016; that's when I built my current system, though it initially included a 980Ti, which I replaced with a 1080Ti in 2017.

supernova8

Banned

I suppose the sort of person going for a 2080 Ti at that price (or a 3090 in this case) is likely not bothered. They're already spending way more than the average person spends on a PC/laptop just on the GPU.

Myths

This won't matter much if game actualy needs more than 10GB of memory, 3080 memory setup is for people that play in high fps/1440p. 20GB version will be for 4K lovers.

You have to be shitting me, almost no performance upgrade if your 9900K is overclocked. and 10/20 setup is weird, no games will use it. Wait for some new arch from Intel or Ryzen 4xxx. Oh any you would be locked to PCIE 3.0 for that 3090, who knows if that card needs more BW or not.

My reason for upgrading isn’t just for games, thanks for asking. And in case it hasn’t occurred to you, many of us resell our components to deflect some of that cost.

So relax, it’s not just splurging because “brand.”

Hostile_18

Banned
So full range, specs and price tomorrow? At least its exciting to get something solid after Sony leaving us in the dark so close to launch.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
So full range, specs and price tomorrow? At least its exciting to get something solid after Sony leaving us in the dark so close to launch.

You'll probably be able to order a GTX 3080 tomorrow and have it in your home in just a few weeks. PS5 is going to be released almost two months later.

Type_Raver

I'm using an i7-5820k and don't intend to upgrade until DDR5 is released.

I'm using an older i7 3930k and was thinking of waiting until DDR5 systems are available. However with Zen 3 and RTX3000 around the corner, im jumping in now and will upgrade to these by years end.

GHG

Gold Member

The trick is to sell off your old parts before they become obsolete.

If I'm upgrading yo a 3080/3090 then I'll just sell off my 2070 super for a decent proportion of what I bought it for despite only buying it a couple of months ago.

CuNi

I'm using an older i7 3930k and was thinking of waiting until DDR5 systems are available. However with Zen 3 and RTX3000 around the corner, im jumping in now and will upgrade to these by years end.

Comming from a 4770k and 970 and planning on doing the same.
ZEN 3 12-Core and a 3080 (20gb) or 3090 all the way baby!

nemiroff

Gold Member
I can't wait for tomorrow.. The iffy feeling I have right now is that 3090 is oxazepam with severe money withdrawal while the 3080 is pure anxiety. I hope Nvidia will be able to clear things up.

Last edited:

Rikkori

like I said, moores law is debunked dead is an idiot who engages in writing his own "leaks"

Hostile_18

Banned

like I said, moores law is debunked dead is an idiot who engages in writing his own "leaks"

He was right about the 21st information. 1 for 1 while I've been following him 😊.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Seems impulsive since DDR5 is scheduled to be released next year. If you've waited this long, you might as well wait a little longer.

Is there an event happening tomorrow or is it just a Youtube video? Was planning to do a viewing with friends at home after Future of Gaming being a success lol

I'd hold for PCIE 4.0 and DDR5.

Big jumps for sure... I'm staying with my 8700k for now as well due to that.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I definitely think within a year nvidia will slot a card between the 3080 and 3090, as that's a wide vram gap.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

3090 is nowhere near a titan, titan v-ram pool should be 32gb+. 24gb is basically what u would expect the 3080ti to sit at.

then about 3080.

3080 is a budget card sold for top end money. Anything below 16gb of v-ram has no future simple as that.

I would not even consider the card as a 3060 option.

People are currently looking through this generation glasses. Next generation baseline for v-ram will be 16gb of memory. the base line will go up massively.

This reminds me of a 580 1,5gb, totally solid gpu performance and memory performance, v-ram was fine for ultra settings on any game until PS4 games arrived. It couldn't even run unity or watch dogs on any setting because v-ram bottleneck. Now it probably won't be as bad for the 3080, but expect medium settings being a thing for the card through the entire generation if not low with it.

Any gpu at 400+ when next gen consoles are out needs 16gb of v-ram modules.

10gb makes absolute no sense at all in any way other then they eyeballed for that number. The only way that card has any reason to exist is if its dirt cheap like 200 bucks. And we all know that won't be the case.

It's clear to me that the entire 3000 series besides the 3090 is going to be replaced in 6 months with proper versions when amd has there cards on the market. Anybody buying into these cards will be burned hard.

And for me with a 1080ti, i will be sitting this clusterfuck of a card generation out until they offer something half decent.

Well looks like you were wrong.

sendit

Biggest take away for me:

12:25pm: Nvidia RTX IO is the answer to the PS5 storage, with a pipeline loading information straight from the SSD to the graphics card, cutting out the CPU bottleneck. This is exactly what I was hoping for here, PC will still be the best place to play.

KingT731

Just watched Marques Brownlee's video on the 3090 and oh my damn is that thing massive.
rjmOb1I.png

6rpXZk2.png

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
I thought this was interesting video talking to the guys and girls who sat out there for 3 days. Best quote, "i always skip a generation, so $1500 is not really a big deal.' Thats actually pretty smart.

Top Bottom