• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Gsync is amazing!

hlhbk

For those who don't know what Gsync is please check the review from Gamespot below:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/review-nvidia-g-sync-makes-your-pc-games-look-amaz/1100-6424349/

First my specs:

Intel 4790k
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 980

I recently picked up a monitor that included Nvidia Gsync functionality, and its like a whole new world when it comes to performance in games! I recently built my current configuration and while I could run mostly anything maxed there were certain games (Assassins Creed 4, AC Unity, Shadow of Mordor, Batman Arkham City with DX11 and PhysX enabled, and more) that the frame rate would vary and it was quite noticeable when it happened. Before I get into this please keep in mind I am running these games at max settings unless I specify otherwise.

As soon as I got this monitor, set it to 144Hz and the first thing I booted up was AC4. Before I got this monitor if I tried going through the first city without fail every time I got near the smoke rising the FPS would dip into the 40's. If it rained it would go into the low 30s. With the new monitor the game still appears to be capped at 60 fps but there is 0 dips no matter what.

AC Unity even after the latest patches ran pretty bad for me in my new rig prior to gsync. I would be lucky if I ever went above 40 FPS. Now with Gsync I am always around 90 fps and never dip below 80.

Shadow of Mordor any time I ever enabled max settings including the high res textures I would be lucky to get above 45 fps. With Gsync enabled I am getting between 90-100 FPS.

One game I need to specifically call out the benefit of gsync to would be Batman Arkham city. In the past to get a constant 60 FPS I had to disable DX11 features and disable PhysX. If I had both on I never would get above 35 fps and the fps drops would be very noticeable. While I still can't stay above 60 FPS in the benchmark with PhysX on High and dx11 on if I leave DX11 on and leave the PhysX to normal I get an average of 117 fps and the minimum I get is 63 fps.

Other than the performance gain the other than I went to mention is while there can still be FPS drops I never ever notice them and everything is so much smoother. This stuff would constantly bother me before, and stopped me from playing games like AC4. Another special moment was booting up both NBA 2k15, and Fifa 15 and playing them at 144 FPS with everything on. I could never go back to 60 FPS or below after that experience.

The monitors with the Gsync are quite expensive, and I was on the fence on if I wanted to drop that kind of money into a monitor. Gsync in my opinion is the most important and revolutionary new technology since dedicated video cards came out when I was a teenager in the 90's.

Anyone on the fence about getting into this tech I can't recommend it enough. I could never go back to pc gaming without it.

Hip Hop

I would love to add Gsync to my monitor, but isn't the module phased out?

Never saw it anywhere for lower than $300.

Feep

Banned
You...what? Unless I'm mistaken, GSync doesn't actually improve framerate, just the perceived smoothness by aligning refresh and sync cycles with the GPU, i.e., no frame tearing or skipping.

Or I'm extremely confused, or something.

Some of those games are known for having bad vsync/lack of triple buffering. Is it possible you just disabled Vsync and are no longer experiencing the random drops from 60 to 30?

That's a problem with AC4 iirc. If in game vsync is enabled and you haven't forced triple buffering there are constant shifts to 30 fps of the frame rate drops by just a few frames.

Only way I can see your post making sense. Even then...

Durante

You...what? Unless I'm mistaken, GSync doesn't actually improve framerate, just the perceived smoothness by aligning refresh and sync cycles with the GPU, i.e., no frame tearing or skipping.

Well, it is possible that it would improve framerate in some scenarios, e.g. compared to standard v-sync without frame queuing. In those cases it would eliminate waiting times for the GPU. But it still seems quite unlikely that would cause an improvement to the extent described in the OP.

Dreathlock

Today i will be replacing my LG 21:9 monitor with an Acer XB270HU 144Hz Gsync. Will report back. Really looking forward to seeing Gsync in action for the first time.

hesido

Erm, G-sync doesn't improve frame rate.

It's great tho.

It may indirectly improve frame rate by letting you disable vsync and allowing arbitrary frame rates for cases when you'd run 30fps, but G-sync would let you go 40 fps. (But I'm guessing in OP's case this could be due to wrong readings.)

edit: I guess Vsync is the root of all evil. You are basically idling the GPU / stealing GPU time although there are no guarantees that the next frame can by completed inside a single refresh.

I literally could screenshot the fps difference if u want. It may just be because there is no vsync but I am certainly seeing the improvements described in the OP.
Possibly that but your increases seem very large. Are you sure all your settings are still maxed?

Theonik

You are correct in what it does but it can also increase framerate if you were previously using VSync since you don't need to wait for frames anymore.

When I got my g-sync monitor and tested games there were a few times I thought "wow those framerates seem higher than they should be" especially considering I also upgraded from 1080p to 1440p. Like Battlefield 4 ran at pretty much the same rate as when I was using a 1080 p monitor. Then again it's not like I had made official records of my framerates in the past so I could have just been wrong. I also might be confusing framerates from the times I had a 670 instead of a 970

G-sync does not improve performance. As others have said, any difference is likely related to the V-sync implementation in those games being unusually poor. G-sync overcoming that is cool, but it's not representative of actual GPU perf increases. It's an edge case, basically.

I'm rolling an AOC 1080p G-sync display, it's pretty good.

Leb

Ironically, G-sync actually imposes a(n insignificant) performance penalty of around 1-2%, per TFTCentral.

Whenever that 4k G-sync monitor comes out, I'm definitely picking it up. It'll probably be like $800 but I'm sure it'll be worth it

Whenever that 4k G-sync monitor comes out, I'm definitely picking it up. It'll probably be like $800 but I'm sure it'll be worth it

The current gsync 27" monitors that are 1440p are $800 expect to be paying upwards of $1k+

Man, hearing all these people gush about Gsync has got me in a "I want it! I want it!' kinda mood.

well there is this

That monitor is only 60hz though the one he is referring to is the 144hz.

Isn't freesync a thing? Why pay 200+ for gsync?

It's the only choice if you have a nvidia card, and nvidia will have the performance edge on high end single gpu's until the summer when amd's new line drops, so until then if you're buying high end you're buying nvidia - so gsync.

Anybody got a recommendation for a good Gsync monitor with excellent color reproduction? Ideally, at 1080p, and if higher res, how well does 1080p content scale to it?

Oh I thought that freesync was a open solution

Async (the adaptive sync scaler solution via displayport that amd pushed through vesa) is open. Freesync is how AMD's graphic cards use async.

Nvidia could quickly write their own version of freesync but they won't until people stop buying gsync displays.

Melpontro

Would this fix that problem in assassins creed black flag where the frame rate goes down to 30 but never in between 60 ?

Yes, it does just that. The monitor will synchronize to whatever FPS you are running the game at. You'll no longer have the game locking down to 30 whenever the FPS drops below 60. Although, I believe Gsync stops working at framerates below 30.

The current gsync 27" monitors that are 1440p are $800 expect to be paying upwards of $1k+

That monitor is only 60hz though the one he is referring to is the 144hz.

No, the one I'm referring to is the 60Hz one. There won't be a 4k144Hz monitor for a while, I'm pretty sure the bandwidth in the cables isn't there yet

Edit: the one I'm referring to is the Asus ROG PG27AQ. 4k60 with gsync and an IPS panel. The others are TN I believe

derFeef

Yes, it does just that. The monitor will synchronize to whatever FPS you are running the game at. You'll no longer have the game locking down to 30 whenever the FPS drops below 60. Although, I believe Gsync stops working at framerates below 30.

I am not sure how Gsync fixes engine/fps problems.

Just played the witcher 2 with settings set high enough that it would get around 40fps, just so I could see the gsync in action. It looked like shit. found out that my gsync disabled itself in the control for the second time in the last week or so. I don't know why but g-sync automatically gets turned off after awhile ( 4 days or so?) . I check my nvidia control panel and I don't even have the option to use gsync( no option that says "set up gsync" under display,and no option for gsync in the vertical sync global settings I have to reinstall the driver and then I can set gsync back on, with the gsync options back to normal.
Does anybody know why this happens?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Too bad that we will likely never see a projector (or a TV) with that tech.

It doesn't actually improve performance, just makes it feel smoother. You should do a comparison with vsync off and Gsync on. Because vsync is gonna cap your framerate.

Top Bottom