• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GTX 1060 Reviews

Widge

Gigabyte 1060 g1 installed with an i5 6500 and DDR4 plus SSD for my dad. Has radically overhauled gaming on his computer. Also using DVI and not VGA cable helped too!

Skyrim in the NVidia control panel recommended rendering it 4K! Opted for 1080p with all the trimmings on.

He was very impressed. He booted up, turned around to where he had come from, middle of a snow storm, and all the lushness kicked in, lighting, atmosphere... loved it. He'll be on that tonight.

I'm going to upgrade from:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Dedicated Memory: 1989 MB
I think ill see a good post of performance yeah?

Anyone know where the deals are and which 3rd party I should look at? MSI?PNY?ZOTAC?

Thanks!!!!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Trying to get the EVGA 6GB SC model and the goddamn thing is sold out everywhere. It's the last piece I need for my upgrade. Dammit!

Picked up a Gigabyte 1060 6GB over Labor Day for $260. Installation was easy and haven't run into any issues thus far, though I also haven't thrown any new games at it that would push it other than the Witcher 3. It's been working great though and I'm looking forward to the winter Steam sale!

Picked up a Gigabyte 1060 6GB over Labor Day for $260. Installation was easy and haven't run into any issues thus far, though I also haven't thrown any new games at it that would push it other than the Witcher 3. It's been working great though and I'm looking forward to the winter Steam sale!

There's a big sale on Humble Bundle right now. I bought MGS Ground Zeroes for $4.99. My EVGA 1060 SC should be up for the task.

Javin98

Banned
Wondering if my i5 3450 wont bottleneck this card...
It definitely will in some areas of certain games. I'm using an i5 6500, BTW. I just finished Rise Of The Tomb Raider and the large outdoor areas, specifically, Soviet Installation and Geothermal Valley, can send CPU utilization of all cores to 95%. The frame rate then crashes to low 40's in such areas. Ditto for Crysis 3. The large areas with lots of vegetation can drop the frame rate to low 40's. Surprisingly, Conquest on Battlefield 1 had my CPU utilization at 95% and above throughout the match but frame rate was at 60FPS 99.5% of the time.

I should add that GPU utilization wasn't completely maxed out, so it wasn't the cause of the frame rate dips. To prove that, I enabled 8x MSAA in Crysis 3 and 2x SSAA in RotTR in the aforementioned demanding areas with only a few frames hit.

There's a big sale on Humble Bundle right now. I bought MGS Ground Zeroes for $4.99. My EVGA 1060 SC should be up for the task.

Got that last night and yep, the 1060 pulls off a solid 60fps with everything turned on at 1080p. MGS5 is also up on sale for $22, so I snagged that too given how great Ground Zeroes performs.

Black_Red

I'm pretty new on PC gaming and iI have a question, afterburner syas my GTX 1060 is actually clocking at 1960 Mhz during the witcher 3 (in some sites) but looking at the card specs it shouldnt be that high. Maybe something isnt configured right?

RpszfO8.png

It should reach lower clocks

Boost Clock / Base Clock / Memory Frequency
1809 MHz / 1594 MHz / 8108 MHz (OC Mode)
1784 MHz / 1569 MHz / 8008 MHz (Gaming Mode)
1708 MHz / 1506 MHz / 8008 MHz (Silent Mode)

I dont want to manually overclock this card since I dont know how, and I dont think the rest of my PC can handle it.

Also, are this setting all on default?, I dont know if I moved something:
http://imgur.com/a/1TI2e

I'm pretty new on PC gaming and iI have a question, afterburner syas my GTX 1060 is actually clocking at 1960 Mhz during the witcher 3 (in some sites) but looking at the card specs it shouldnt be that high. Maybe something isnt configured right?

RpszfO8.png

It should reach lower clocks

Boost Clock / Base Clock / Memory Frequency
1809 MHz / 1594 MHz / 8108 MHz (OC Mode)
1784 MHz / 1569 MHz / 8008 MHz (Gaming Mode)
1708 MHz / 1506 MHz / 8008 MHz (Silent Mode)

I dont want to manually overclock this card since I dont know how, and I dont think the rest of my PC can handle it.

Boost 3.0 automatically does OCs for you.

Black_Red

Boost 3.0 automatically does OCs for you.

So, I shouldnt worry?, the thing is I have an i3, a really old PCI-E 2.0 Mobo and a "not so good" PSU (600B EVGA, most of the best models dont reach my country). I should leave it the way it is? Or maybe I should control it to stop it from overclocking?

(The only thing I know about overclocking is that it makes your VGA faster, but you need a really good PSU and cooling or it could damage your PC).

So, I shouldnt worry?, the thing is I have an i3, a really old PCI-E 2.0 Mobo and a "not so good" PSU (600B EVGA, most of the best models dont reach my country). I should leave it the way it is? Or maybe I should control it to stop it from overclocking?

(The only thing I know about overclocking is that it makes your VGA faster, but you need a really good PSU and cooling or it could damage your PC).
Don't worry about it, your GPU will downclock when it needs to.

MutFox

Banned
Soooo...
Was looking at 1070's, but they're having some micron issues...

Does the 1060 have any issues one should be aware of?

MutFox

Banned
UK gaffers, up for grabbing a 1060 tomorrow, any particular ones to aim for (if in stock ;) ) and any to avoid?

Or are they all pretty much in the same ball park?

joecanada

Just got an EVGA 1060 SC.
Was the best value I could find that's quiet and can be decently overclocked.

I've read of that specific card getting really hot, (compared to other 1060's)
and also cheap plastic being used, which can make the fans click at times.

There's better alternatives for the price.

Hey could you post a summary of your oc results? I have this card too but never tried yet .

Black_Red

I have another question D:

Are those yellow pixels on Lara's belt (and light blue on her pistol) artifacts?, a game glitch? or just an aliasing problem? (I can see those dots on various shiny objects while playing). My 1060 gets temperatures up to 65°C and I dont think that's hot enough to create artifacts (I'm really new to PC gaming so I'm just sacred because I read that artifacts are signs of GPU damage)

A7KJljn.jpg

MutFox

Banned
Hey could you post a summary of your oc results? I have this card too but never tried yet .

I haven't actually "got" it yet.
Should have said bought, it's on backorder, so waiting for it. :|

Don't mind the wait though, it's something I'll be using for years...

Once I get it, I'll post OC results. :p (If I even need to, seems stock will run my current games fine, it's more for future games...)
Though I'll probably just use the same OC settings I've seen in google results... ;)

nullref

I have another question D:

Are those yellow pixels on Lara's belt (and light blue on her pistol) artifacts?, a game glitch? or just an aliasing problem? (I can see those dots on various shiny objects while playing). My 1060 gets temperatures up to 65°C and I dont think that's hot enough to create artifacts (I'm really new to PC gaming so I'm just sacred because I read that artifacts are signs of GPU damage)

Those just look like the game applying small highlights to metal objects, and maybe they're small enough that they look a little aliased. I wouldn't worry about it; your temps are well below anything to worry about.

joecanada

I haven't actually "got" it yet.
Should have said bought, it's on backorder, so waiting for it. :|

Don't mind the wait though, it's something I'll be using for years...

Once I get it, I'll post OC results. :p (If I even need to, seems stock will run my current games fine, it's more for future games...)
Though I'll probably just use the same OC settings I've seen in google results... ;)

ah thanks that's a good idea I will check out videos or google see if others OC'd the EVGA SC already. my case is massive so temps haven't been a problem at all the thing never goes over like 55 degrees except once I ran heaven benchmark for 3 minutes straight on ultra settings and it went up to 74 degrees. (also maintained 50fps min. I think you'll be happy with it).

canocha

I'm going to upgrade from a MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1 GB and thinking about the MSI GTX1060 GAMING X 6GB GDDR5 PCI-E (359€), is it worth it?

You recommend another brand or card? (within this price range)

Veal

Just got an EVGA 1060 SC.
Was the best value I could find that's quiet and can be decently overclocked.

I've read of that specific card getting really hot, (compared to other 1060's)
and also cheap plastic being used, which can make the fans click at times.

There's better alternatives for the price.
I have that gigabyte card. The tennis really aren't that bad after adjusting the fan profile. The single heat pipe config is a bummer though.

trejo

I took the plunge and ordered a Gigabyte G1 GTX 1060 6GB. Hopefully it'll be a nice little step up from my ancient GTX 560. ;)

SenkiDala

I'm starting to think (but I'm still really not sure) about upgrading for a 1060 in the next few months/weeks, the KFA2 model OC 6gb version, in France you can have it for 250/270€.

I currently have a GTX 660ti.

I'm here because I wanna ask if it would be balanced with the other parts of my rig, here is what I have:

-i7 3770K
-16GB DDR3
-Win 10

When I built my rig, few years ago, I knew my GPU was "weak" compared to the rest, so it's normal that now, I feel that maybe I should upgrade that GPU.

I wanna add that I don't care about SLI, I often had SLI capable GPU but never did it, don't want bother so much, a single GPU is enough.

I'm starting to think (but I'm still really not sure) about upgrading for a 1060 in the next few months/weeks, the KFA2 model OC 6gb version, in France you can have it for 250/270€.

I currently have a GTX 660ti.

I'm here because I wanna ask if it would be balanced with the other parts of my rig, here is what I have:

-i7 3770K
-16GB DDR3
-Win 10

When I built my rig, few years ago, I knew my GPU was "weak" compared to the rest, so it's normal that now, I feel that maybe I should upgrade that GPU.

I wanna add that I don't care about SLI, I often had SLI capable GPU but never did it, don't want bother so much, a single GPU is enough.

Should be completely fine, it works great on my wife's system with 16gb ddr3 and an i5 3570k, if anything you would be less cpu bound on the odd game that is vs her i5.

She upgraded from a gtx 670

Since this apparently involves the EVGA 1060s too figured I might as well post this here as well.

Figured I might as well post this here too.

Update on the EVGA PWM/VRM overheating/cooling issue, now with a VBIOS update coming to change the default fan curve!

EVGA_JacobF said:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update

11/1/2016 - Recently, it was reported from several sources, that the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW PWM and memory temperature is running warmer than expected during Furmark (an extreme stress utility).

EVGA has investigated these reports and after extensive testing, below are our findings:

On ACX 3.0, EVGA focused on GPU temperature and the lowest acoustic levels possible. Running Furmark, the GPU is around 70C +/- and the fan speed is running approximately 30% duty cycle or lower.
However, during recent testing, the thermal temperature of the PWM and memory, in extreme circumstances, was marginally within spec and needed to be addressed.

Conclusion: EVGA offers full warranty support on its products, with cross-ship RMA*, and stands behind its products and commitment to our customers.

To resolve this, EVGA will be offering a VBIOS update, which adjusts the fan-speed curve to ensure sufficient cooling of all components across all operating temperatures. This VBIOS will be released in the next few days and users can download it and update their cards directly. This update resolves the potential thermal issues that have been reported, and ensures the card maintains safe operating temperatures.

For those users who want additional cooling beyond the VBIOS update, EVGA has optional thermal pads available. This update is not required, however; EVGA will make it available free of charge to any customer who is interested. To request the thermal pad kit, please visit www.evga.com/thermalmod

Any customer who is not comfortable performing the recommended VBIOS update, may request a warranty cross-shipment* to exchange the product to EVGA for an updated replacement.

All graphics cards shipped from EVGA after 11/1/2016 will have the VBIOS update applied.

*The EVGA EAR(Advanced RMA Program) and Cross Shipping options are available in the Continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, EU, UK, Norway, and Switzerland. EVGA offers Standard RMA replacement options in the Middle East, Africa, India or outside of the before mentioned supported areas.

FAQ

Q. Which cards are supported by these updates?

A. EVGA ACX 3.0 GeForce GTX 1080, 1070 or 1060 cards with the following part numbers:

z0AQuSF.jpg

*Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER cards do not need these updates.

Q. If my Graphics Card is not an ACX 3.0 design is it affected?

A. No, all other GPUs sold by EVGA including Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER editions are unaffected.

Q. Does the VBIOS fix the temperature issues?

A. Yes, the VBIOS update will fix the temperature issues.

Q. Is my card damaged from running at a higher temperature?

A. No, but should any future warranty service be needed, EVGA stands behind its products.

Q. What happens if my card is accidentally damaged during the optional thermal pad installation?

A. EVGA will stand behind its customers with full warranty and cross-shipment.*

Q. What if I am not comfortable updating my VBIOS?

A. While EVGA has very user friendly ways to update VBIOS’s, if you still do not feel comfortable, we will support you with and advanced RMA and ship you a replacement card with the latest VBIOS.
http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-10801070-PWM-Operating-Temperature-Update-m2573491.aspx

chrislowe

Ok, I was gonna get a new gfxcard. First I thought of a RX470, but the pricedifference to 1060 and RX480 is too small.

Now I dont know if I should get the RX480 8G or the 1060 6G, and I would really like to see benchmark not done on a highend CPU like the best i7 around which every benchmark seems to have.

It feels like that the RX480 is much better if you are doing DX12 and have a low end CPU is that correct, or Am I smoking something? :)

I am currently doing the old "classic" i5 2500K cpu.

Ok, I was gonna get a new gfxcard. First I thought of a RX470, but the pricedifference to 1060 and RX480 is too small.

Now I dont know if I should get the RX480 8G or the 1060 6G, and I would really like to see benchmark not done on a highend CPU like the best i7 around which every benchmark seems to have.

It feels like that the RX480 is much better if you are doing DX12 and have a low end CPU is that correct, or Am I smoking something? :)

I would definitely get the RX 480. It's simply faster in the big new releases like Deus Ex, Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2. It's only going to get faster comparatively as it ages as more games use DX12/Vulkan and its drivers mature.

I've done a bit of buying and selling of cards recently for profit and I currently have a Nitro 480. Take with a pinch of salt but apparently the latest batches of 480s have slightly improved chips. Regardless, the card I got last week does 1410Mhz core 2180 memory stable and counting. It did throttle a little at these frequencies but my bench scores were higher.

dr_rus

RX480 is better in some DX12 titles in general. Both cards will benefit from DX12 on a slow CPU. GTX1060 will run a lot better than RX480 in DX11 on a slow CPU.

I would definitely get the RX 480. It's simply faster in the big new releases like Deus Ex, Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2. It's only going to get faster comparatively as it ages as more games use DX12/Vulkan and its drivers mature.

I've done a bit of buying and selling of cards recently for profit and I currently have a Nitro 480. Take with a pinch of salt but apparently the latest batches of 480s have slightly improved chips. Regardless, the card I got last week does 1410Mhz core 2180 memory stable and counting. It did throttle a little at these frequencies but my bench scores were higher.

It is not.

kevin1025

Banned
I bought the Gigabyte Windforce 6GB card, and couldn't be happier. Everything runs great, it is whisper quiet (I had an HD7870 before, and I thought my computer was just loud... nope, it was the card all along). All of the more recent games running around 30fps are now on High/Ultra and 60fps. Very happy with my purchase!

The price in Canada, though, was a little rough.

I would definitely get the RX 480. It's simply faster in the big new releases like Deus Ex, Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2.

This is false, the 1060 is faster in DX11 in Deus Ex MD and Battlefield 1 than the 480 in DX12. Haven't seen any Titanfall 2 benchmarks, so I won't comment there.

Top Bottom