• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia introducing Ampere in march 2020 & releasing RTX 3080 in june

Kenpachii

I usually just ebay my latest board and buy the latest and best x080Ti board -- which ends up being around 50% off.

It's going to be cheaper - $1199 will be $1198. LOL!

U give nvidia to much cedit, 1198.99

I'm only interested in mid-range cards.

The 960 2GB to 1060 6GB upgrade was massive. The 1060 to 1660 or even the 2060 not so much. I hope the 3060 will be at least as fast as a 1080ti and have at least 8GB VRAM.

I think v-ram amounts are going to skyrocket if that gpu is builded for next gen consoles early generation. I could see them push on there higher end models 16gb minimums with 24gb+ if not higher on there top models like ti.

8gb is going to be the biggest weakness of current lineup and will most likely be the bare minimum for next generation like 2gb was back in the day with ps4.

I hope with the move to 7nm on nvidia that gpu is going to push atleast double 1080ti performance.

Last edited:

nkarafo

U give nvidia to much cedit, 1198.99

I think v-ram amounts are going to skyrocket if that gpu is builded for next gen consoles early generation. I could see them push on there higher end models 16gb minimums with 24gb+ if not higher on there top models like ti.

8gb is going to be the biggest weakness of current lineup and will most likely be the bare minimum for next generation like 2gb was back in the day with ps4.

I hope with the move to 7nm on nvidia that gpu is going to push atleast double 1080ti performance.
I'm not worried about 8GB cards for next gen. It being the 2GB equivalent during early gen is a bit hyperbolic. I think it will be like how 4GB cards were during the whole duration of this gen. Enough for 99% of games except a few odd ones. 2GB isn't even enough to run some current gen games at low settings/resolution. I don't think 8GB cards will reach that low during next gen but 6GB ones might.

Myths

Soon? Last gen came out fall 2018. Even if it came out today, I wouldn’t consider that soon. Always buy things when they’re new so you maximize your product lifecycle.
It’s relative to when the individual purchased the product in question. For me, it’s soon (since a year will whisk by hurriedly). That’s just my perception of time, something not unusual as you age. That’s also just... the age of technology rapidly evolving.

pawel86ck

Banned

The 960 2GB to 1060 6GB upgrade was massive. The 1060 to 1660 or even the 2060 not so much. I hope the 3060 will be at least as fast as a 1080ti and have at least 8GB VRAM.
GTX 1060 was around 2x faster compared to GTX 960. Standard RTX 2060 isnt as fast (in non RTX games at least), however 2060 super in higher resolutions and certain games can also provide 2x more fps, for example here in battlefield 5 at 4K. But I agree, waiting for 3060 is a wise decision, and especially now when Ampere GPU's are only few months away.

DuIGJCL.png

BTW- In the old days with each year new GPU's were around 2x faster, so I was changing GPU frequently, but now we no longer see such drastic performance gains. Even after 2.5 years 1080ti is still considered high end GPU and I wonder if 3080ti will finally provide 2x better results next year.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I feel i am stuck with my SLI 980s perpetually.
1080TI was always too expensive due to miners, 2080/TI is generally too expensive, and i have no hopes for 3080.

Someone give me advice please ☹️

REDRZA MWS

Just jumped back into PC gaming after a long hiatus. My rig is an intel i9 9900k, 32 GB ddr4 RAM, And an rtx 2080ti. My monitor is only 1440p. I have an LG OLED E7P, it has 120hz native panel. I’m not particularly liking the benq 1440p, will my rig push 4k 60 on my OLED? Thanks ahead of time.

Its a 1080p TV hooked up to my PC. If possible i am downsampling from 1440p or higher. My main issue with most games is the VRAM usage due to textures and shaders.
If you're not dead set on gaming at 4K you really don't need to spend a fortune on a new GPU. An RTX 2070 or 5700XT would seem a logical choice. Or just wait until the 30 series cards release. I would get a 1440p, 144HZ monitor, though, for sure.

nkarafo

GTX 1060 was around 2x faster compared to GTX 960. Standard RTX 2060 isnt as fast (in non RTX games at least), however 2060 super in higher resolutions and certain games can also provide 2x more fps, for example here in battlefield 5 at 4K. But I agree, waiting for 3060 is a wise decision, and especially now when Ampere GPU's are only few months away.
VRAM amount is also a factor. When i went from the 960 to the 1060 i got 3x the amount of VRAM. That felt like an even bigger upgrade than the already big performance gain. Now, i'm not expecting 3x6 GB anytime soon but 8 or 10 GB should be reasonable, i mean after skipping a whole graphics cards gen i would expect even more. I wouldn't upgrade to a new card with the same amount of VRAM even if it had 3x the speed.

Last edited:

SantaC

Just jumped back into PC gaming after a long hiatus. My rig is an intel i9 9900k, 32 GB ddr4 RAM, And an rtx 2080ti. My monitor is only 1440p. I have an LG OLED E7P, it has 120hz native panel. I’m not particularly liking the benq 1440p, will my rig push 4k 60 on my OLED? Thanks ahead of time.
yes it will, in most games.

you need a 4K monitor.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If you're not dead set on gaming at 4K you really don't need to spend a fortune on a new GPU. An RTX 2070 or 5700XT would seem a logical choice. Or just wait until the 30 series cards release. I would get a 1440p, 144HZ monitor, though, for sure.
Thanks
Well, I dont really want to play on a monitor honestly.
My PC is placed in a little living room with a sofa and hooked up to the TV. I might buy a 4K TV for that room some day, But i cant see myself sitting at a desk to play.

Thanks
Well, I dont really want to play on a monitor honestly.
My PC is placed in a little living room with a sofa and hooked up to the TV. I might buy a 4K TV for that room some day, But i cant see myself sitting at a desk to play.
I put my desk in my living room. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

No compromises.

Myths

Hiatus? Monitor aside, you’re up to date in hardware I’d say. You should be able to reach 4K60 too.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The E7 is indeed a native 120Hz, but be aware that you will not be able to push 4K 120fps due to being bandwidth limited by HDMI 2.0. However, you ought to be able to set the resolution to 1440p and get 120Hz.
Sadly you wont get VRR that is available on the LG 9-series.

magnumpy

Totally untrue. The GPU business has been given many death dates before but people keep buying them with no end in sight. Turns out people really like playing games with nice graphics on their computers.

But even if that market collapses Nvidia has made moves in many different areas - cloud computing, streaming services, embedded platforms, AI processing, autonomous driving, media players, etc. - that show they’re not as one note as you think they are. All of those haven’t been totally successful but it shows they’re a flexible and adaptable company.

so what is their long term future. beyond 1 year. pray that 20,000k graphics become a must have feature? then move to 40,000k graphics? surely you can see that this kind of scaling has a definite end date upon it...

the calculator used to represent a healthy thriving business say in the '70s. now calculators are so cheap they are given away for free, or as software, or simple apps you get on your cellphone. the "GPU" had a good run but let's move on now to more important things.

amigastar

Thats good to hear, i want to upgrade my PC at the end of 2020, till then my GTX 970 will have to work with my 2600k.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
my 2080 destroys everything so far but if it struggles with Cyberpunk, which i think it will, then that pathetic weak ass card is getting sold real fast lol.

They really need to hurry up, I want to play Cyberpunk 2077 with RTX On
It will struggle with low settings ray tracing.
Yea, this cycle of graphics cards will take a lot of money out of my wallet. I'll need a PCI 4.0 spec mb. If I get that, I might as well get a next-gen intel CPU with it.
Intel - PCI 4.0 ?... AMD

It depends on the VRAM.

I don't think so, next gen consoles probably 9Tf - 12Tf MAX, 24Gb+ Vram ? Nvidia ? NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN-NOPE, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16Gb Vram is what to expect from Nvidia & AMD, milk that shit, 24Gb is not good for business.
I'm not worried about 8GB cards for next gen. It being the 2GB equivalent during early gen is a bit hyperbolic. I think it will be like how 4GB cards were during the whole duration of this gen. Enough for 99% of games except a few odd ones. 2GB isn't even enough to run some current gen games at low settings/resolution. I don't think 8GB cards will reach that low during next gen but 6GB ones might.
I think it depends on Devs if they are willing to put time on optimization and knowing that most people will have low spec Pc's they need to optimize to sell more units (games).
I feel i am stuck with my SLI 980s perpetually.
1080TI was always too expensive due to miners, 2080/TI is generally too expensive, and i have no hopes for 3080.

Someone give me advice please ☹
SLI :/, wait and see for what AMD & Nvidia has to offer.
Depends on the game.

H4ze

My 1070 is still doing fine, therefore I did not see a reason to upgrade to somethin from the 2000 line. Maybe that will change with the 3000 versions.

Poppyseed

No. Not all games. 1440p G-Sync ~144hz is the sweet spot for the foreseeable future.

Nvidia 7nm gonna be crazy, a bit worried about AMD i wont lie, even tho they did a great job fighting against these greedy mf's.
I hope AMD next gpu's wont have heating issues.

AMD 7nm cards barely outperform Nvidia 12nm ones - it'll be back to slaughter once Ampere releases at process parity

Leonidas

Damn, and AMD still hasn't even caught up to 2080 Ti levels of gaming performance, and the 2080 Ti has already been out for over a year.

Nvidia remains two steps ahead of AMD.

Last edited:

Bkdk

So rtx 3080 ti will come around late 2020, perfect timing as I’m planning to upgrade to that card in 2021 depending on the date of a few highly anticipated game of mine will be released. Should be good enough for the whole gen.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Maybe minecraft would be ok.
But you def need to upgrade that gpu 🤔

Top Bottom