• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Marbles RTX demo shows off the glorious future of real-time raytracing

(There has already been discussion about this in another thread but I think an accomplishment of this caliber deserves more publicity.)

This is easily the most impressive real-time ray tracing demo I've seen and one of the highest quality demos in general.

There's a catch though, which is that a single $5500 Quadro RTX 8000 card is needed to run this minigame at playable framerates. Things could, however, change when Ampere-based cards are released...

Demo might get released at some point in the future. Fingers crossed!

More gameplay: https://developer.download.nvidia.com/Omniverse/video/marbles.mp4

Gavriil Klimov said:
Finally can share something that I consider truly outstanding for the future of computer graphics and makes me so happy about the work we are doing at NVIDIA. In the last few months, we have been working on a playable minigame that runs entirely on our platform called NVIDIA Omniverse: project Marbles RTX. I acted as creative director and art director for the project.

It's a fully playable game that is ENTIRELY ray-traced, denoised by NVIDIA's AI and DLSS, and obeys the laws of physics - all running in real-time on a single RTX GPU.

The work done on this demo from both engineers and artists is truly outstanding and I am excited about what's to come next. Huge props to the art team who killed it and did an amazing job.
Jacob Norris said:
Everything is HAND MODELED AND TEXTURED in 3D by the team. Zero photogrammetry.

Huge props to the core team at Nvidia who put more hours into this in 2 months than should be humanly possible.

gavriil-klimov-m-final-01.jpg

jacob-norris-jacob-norris-nvidia-marblesrtx-61.jpg

artur-szymczak-69.jpg

gavriil-klimov-m-final-19.jpg

Tons of additional screenshots:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is Cerny, then, the "Dark Souls" of designers/programmers????

giphy.gif

I had the NES version, and oh man was it hard with the D-pad.

I only played it in the arcade (with the trackball) a few times when I was young.

Many reviewers felt that the high level of skill required to play the game was part of its appeal.[3][12] In 2008, Levi Buchanan of IGN listed Marble Madness as one of several titles in his "dream arcade", citing the game's difficulty and the fond memories he had playing it.[12] Author John Sellers wrote that difficulty was a major reason that players were attracted. Other engaging factors included the graphics, visual design, and the soundtrack.[1] Retro Gamer's Craig Grannell, in referring to the game as one of the most distinctive arcade games ever made, praised its visuals as "pure and timeless".[2] In 1996, Next Generation ranked the arcade version of Marble Madness as 15 on their "Top 100 Games of All Time".[13] In 1997 Electronic Gaming Monthly listed it as the 10th best arcade game of all time.[14] In 2008, Guinness World Records listed it as the number seventy-nine arcade game in technical, creative, and cultural impact.[15] Marble Madness was one of the first games to use true stereo sound and have a recognizable musical score.[3][8] British composer Paul Weir commented that the music had character and helped give the game a unique identity.[8] A common complaint about the arcade cabinet was that the track ball controls frequently broke from repeated use.[12][16]

Last edited:
Fun fact: Mark Cerny was the designer of this game.

This was the "dark souls" of puzzle games. Like most games back then, difficult.

I knew I was forgetting something xD. Cerny also worked at SEGA Technical Institute in the early years and IIRC was a principal design lead on Sonic 2.

Wish he had a means of fighting for STI's continued existence in the early-mid '90s before he left and it was shut down, goodness knows it could've been helpful for SEGA at the time.

GymWolf

But the lighting is what helps majorly with bringing those details to life.
i'm sure it's partially like you said.

we can agree that it's a mix of both, but if i have to choose on pc, i'm always gonna go with higher details\res\framerate before rtx.

let's see how 3000 series is gonna handle rtx first and if they can implement dlss 2.0 at launch in every game (it's useless if you release that stuff when i already completed the game)

Great Hair

Banned
That didn´t look real time to me. The guy was using the arrow keys? while the marbel was going down the spiral thingy. His inputs do not correspond to the actions seen on screen.

TNtxkrI.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i'm sure it's partially like you said.

we can agree that it's a mix of both, but if i have to choose on pc, i'm always gonna go with higher details\res\framerate before rtx.

let's see how 3000 series is gonna handle rtx first and if they can implement dlss 2.0 at launch in every game (it's useless if you release that stuff when i already completed the game)

I agree with this as well. If rasterization and voxel methods can get it pretty darn close with much better performance to boot (for now), I am down with that.

Last edited:

sendit

Everything looked real. However, the interaction between the ball and the objects broke the immersion for me. (Fully aware this was a ray tracing specific demo, not physics)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That is straight up cgi level of graphics.
Just disable the tilting. I like to steer the ball and not the world. Like in this old game ballance

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Damn near photo-realism.

I think for next-gen our games will still look like games but we really aren't far away from this being possible.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yes, it is the usual YouTube 1080p crap. I have no idea why NVIDIA decided to release the 1080p version when they clearly have the 4K version of it, as seen in the GTC 2020 talk:

Time-stamped:

it looks better but if that shit is called 4k hahaha wtf

MDSLKTR

I'd play literally anything with those graphics... even the kind of shovelware made in Dreams, all of it.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

I think the screenshots look miles better. There's a lot of dithering if that's the right word, the edge of the marble looks fuzzy and some objects in the environment. The stills cut that out though.

Arkam

The stills look like real life. In motion that was some serious uncanny valley. The marble shadow alone ruined it for me. Shape was far to uniform for all the changes in light direction... then there was the fact that it was the shadow of a light blocking/opaque object... but its a mostly clear marble that light would transmit through and change as the nvidia logo flips around. Still, very pretty.

Top Bottom