• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA may announce new RTX 2060, 2070 and 2080 “Super” GPUs at E3 2019

CyberPanda

Banned
Last week, we informed you about NVIDIA teasing something “Super.” Our guess back then was that the green team was planning to announce some refresh models for its Turing graphics cards at Computex 2019, however that never came to fruition. Still, and according to the latest rumours, NVIDIA is indeed working on faster version of its Turing GPUs.

According to Tweaktown, NVIDIA may announce new models for the RTX 2060, RTX 2070 and RTX 2080 at E3 2019. These new models will feature faster GDDR6 memory and slightly higher clocks.

Tweaktown also claims that there won’t be a new model for RTX2080Ti, which will remain the best gaming GPU for NVIDIA until its brand new series arrives. If this is true, RTX2080Ti will remain the fastest gaming GPU for almost an entire year; something that will definitely please its early adopters.

As said, this is a rumour so we strongly suggest taking it with a grain of salt. Right now we don’t know the specs or what performance these upgraded variants will target (though we can assume they will be slightly faster than their already released models). Furthermore, we don’t know how NVIDIA will call these GPUs (some assume that the green team will use the “SUPER” word in order to distinguish them from its previous models).

It will be interesting to see whether this rumour will come true. We do know that AMD will reveal more details about its NAVI GPUs at E3 2019 so we expect NVIDIA to counter AMD’s upcoming GPUs with this rumoured refresh of its Turing graphics cards.

Dontero

Banned
Seems like they are trying to steal AMD spotlight as AMD decided to properly announce their new GPU to coincide with next gen consoles who will be equipped with it which would produce good amount of PR for AMD. This is important because on this E3 there will be first next gen games shown and for sure AMD will want to have their sticker on them.

Smart move by nv.

Last edited:
Feels like they released a thousand cards in the last couple of months already. Smells like panic mode tbh. Don't know if this is a good idea with regards to their brand image.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I guess i will wait a little bit
I want that 2080ti

And a pricedrop might be all i need

Also drop that 9900k 😂

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Will this work if I connect it to my PS4 using the front USB port? It's a hassle reaching for the back ports.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
GTFO, Nvidia!

giphy.gif

At this point it is better to just wait for refresh models rather than to buy those that they'll launch first. Lesson learned. I mean, why the fuck would you buy at launch if even not a year later they'll launch a slightly better version with higher clock and faster memory? It's so damn irritating. AMD, come on! It's about goddamn time to compete on a high level and release real good GPUs which won't be just matching performance of Nvidia cards a year later.

Last edited:
Looks like these will be the only answer to Navi, along with price cuts, until 7 nm EUV cards are coming out next year. Nvidia has plenty of room to deal with Navi, and tbh what we've heard of RX5700 isn't particularly impressive as AMD is seriously lagging in efficiency even with a process node lead. RDNA sounds an awful lot like just suped up GCN right now instead of fundamentally new architecture like Ryzen was on the CPU side. Hopefully they'll still manage to bring something competitive out that forces 2080 performance class down in price. There's a lot of people with 1070's or 1080's waiting to upgrade to something that makes a meaningful difference and isn't insanely overpriced. 2070 class performance isn't quite there though, and I'm kind of worried that AMD doesn't really have what it takes to pressure Nvidia enough to engage in a price war, so they'll end up just slotting RX5700 close to 2070 so it won't really move the market significantly, and Nvidia's superclocked models and maybe slight price adjustment will be enough to keep people buying their cards. The GPU market is moving at a glacial pace compared to the past, and we seriously need more competition against Nvidia than a single chip from AMD once in a blue moon. Intel's GPUs can't come soon enough.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
eh if it's just a memory overclock then forget it.

my 2080 kicks ass. they'd need to do something significant for me to replace it. i'll probably wait for 7nm cards.

Ellery

Well yes if the rumor is true then those cards are not aimed at people that already threw money at them 8 months ago for the RTX 20 series, but for people wanting to upgrade alongside Ryzen 3000 and are not sure whether they should pick Navi or Turing.

I hope that this includes price cuts to make the RTX 20 series overall more attractive.

johntown

Banned
Please have a new card that I will actually care about. Hoping the Super will be that card but my hopes are not too high for this whole RTX series.

Kenpachii

Be super cheap or be super useless.

Honestly what are the series now

2000 series, 2000 ti series, 1100 series, and 2600 super series and probably a titan on the way with it. All the same gen.

What a cluster of confusion.

Terrible.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
If the rumors of being "cheaper and faster" are true then the RTX 2080 Ti price/performance staying the same will look even more outlandish with all the other models getting price cuts. I'm curious to see how close a Super RTX 2080 can get to the Ti model.

Last edited:
Let me guess...10-15% performance improvement for the same price....given the prices are hugely inflated at the top end it's a rip off anyway. I tire of Nvidia and their antics.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I assume they are waiting for yields to go up, they might jump straight to 7nm EUV.
After all AMD is making small GPU chips this year.

EDIT: Maybe this super refresh will add PCIe 4.0 support.
Even with a shrink the 20XX chips will be big 'uns for 7nm. They'd be able to transition the 16XX series relatively easily, I think.

Ivellios

It would be best if they reduced the prices of current RTX GPUs tbh.

If these rumours are true, these super cards will probably be even more expensive...

CJY

Banned
...What are the odds of an upgraded Shield?
I really love my K1 shield Tab, and would buy an update day-1... but cannot see it happening whatsoever. Shame really. It’s still the best android tablet with LineageOS

somerset

Here's the thing. Nvidia only gets 'generous' when AMD returns to form. And believe me, Nvidia *knows* the state of the competition far better than any outside speculator (like us).

So we have good times coming as far as GPU tech (and pricing) is concerned.

Brilliant new consoles, all based on AMD IP, CPU and GPU and Bus.

A product war between AMD and Nvidia that will finally bring improvements in the high end, improvements in worthwhile features, and improvements in performance per dollar above the 1080 target (for 1080, the AMD 570 already kills it- Nvidia has nothing that comes close- *nothing*).

However, AMD does not hit hard until *after* the new consoles release. Until then, AMD has promised MS and Sony that their consoles will get the perfromance glory. The pre-console Navi is purposely aimed at a sub-new-console performance.

Today Turing stinks only cos of the pricing (well thanks to the tensor cores- intended for crypto-currency mining before the big bust- Turing dies are *way* too big, but that probably helps power density issues, even as it costs Nvidia a fortune). If Turing was actually sold at a decent price, no-one would complain.

7nm for Nvidia is another matter. Dumb dumb *fake news* tech 'journalists' still haven't got the memo that Nvidia has moved to samsung for 7nm, and is betting the farm on an as yet unproven tech lead Samsung will have over TSMC. I'd trust tech led Nvidia over any other company to have sussed out that Samsung is about to become great, but it is still a giant gamble- one that Apple tried some years earlier and then got badly burnt before crawling back to TSMC.

The biggie is when will 1080TI class performance finally get a decent price on the PC. 1080TI level of performance has actually gotten *more* expensive since the day the 1080TI first released. Today the same is embodied in the 2080.

1080TI is an absolute minimum for VR and mediocre 4K. The coming Navi will get close, but only on a few games with very modern engines. 1080TI is like an 8-core CPU- once dribblers thought such a CPU must always cost the earth, cos that's how Intel groomed them. Now one sees the brilliant 1700 for as low as 120 quid. There is *nothing* amazing in a 1080TI die today- shrunk to 7nm it *should* be similarly cheap. Again a fact every dribbler will try to deny.

It will take time for GPU prices to get sane again, after many years of horrific exploitation by Nvidia, but within a few years it will certainly happen.

The big issue for AMD and Nvidia tho is the poor acceptance of 4K gaming by PC gamers. Making a killer 1440 GPU is many dies down from the biggest GPU one can build in 7nm, meaning that 1440 rez GPU solutions should have the same excellent value as the 570. Yet AMD and Nvidia need to sell far more 4K solutions than seems likely or possible.

Ellery

However, AMD does not hit hard until *after* the new consoles release. Until then, AMD has promised MS and Sony that their consoles will get the perfromance glory. The pre-console Navi is purposely aimed at a sub-new-console performance.

Do you have any sort of source for this?

Kenpachii

Here's the thing. Nvidia only gets 'generous' when AMD returns to form. And believe me, Nvidia *knows* the state of the competition far better than any outside speculator (like us).

So we have good times coming as far as GPU tech (and pricing) is concerned.

Brilliant new consoles, all based on AMD IP, CPU and GPU and Bus.

A product war between AMD and Nvidia that will finally bring improvements in the high end, improvements in worthwhile features, and improvements in performance per dollar above the 1080 target (for 1080, the AMD 570 already kills it- Nvidia has nothing that comes close- *nothing*).

Today Turing stinks only cos of the pricing (well thanks to the tensor cores- intended for crypto-currency mining before the big bust- Turing dies are *way* too big, but that probably helps power density issues, even as it costs Nvidia a fortune). If Turing was actually sold at a decent price, no-one would complain.

7nm for Nvidia is another matter. Dumb dumb *fake news* tech 'journalists' still haven't got the memo that Nvidia has moved to samsung for 7nm, and is betting the farm on an as yet unproven tech lead Samsung will have over TSMC. I'd trust tech led Nvidia over any other company to have sussed out that Samsung is about to become great, but it is still a giant gamble- one that Apple tried some years earlier and then got badly burnt before crawling back to TSMC.

The biggie is when will 1080TI class performance finally get a decent price on the PC. 1080TI level of performance has actually gotten *more* expensive since the day the 1080TI first released. Today the same is embodied in the 2080.

1080TI is an absolute minimum for VR and mediocre 4K. The coming Navi will get close, but only on a few games with very modern engines. 1080TI is like an 8-core CPU- once dribblers thought such a CPU must always cost the earth, cos that's how Intel groomed them. Now one sees the brilliant 1700 for as low as 120 quid. There is *nothing* amazing in a 1080TI die today- shrunk to 7nm it *should* be similarly cheap. Again a fact every dribbler will try to deny.

It will take time for GPU prices to get sane again, after many years of horrific exploitation by Nvidia, but within a few years it will certainly happen.

The big issue for AMD and Nvidia tho is the poor acceptance of 4K gaming by PC gamers. Making a killer 1440 GPU is many dies down from the biggest GPU one can build in 7nm, meaning that 1440 rez GPU solutions should have the same excellent value as the 570. Yet AMD and Nvidia need to sell far more 4K solutions than seems likely or possible.

U can blame nvidia all you want but it's the consumers are the end of the day that buy still buy them and support them.

Just look at forums when a new top GPU gets announced.

"oh i must preorder fast because otherwise they will be sold out"

It's laughable.

Almost bought a 2070 to pass down an old 780 in my sons school pc to my nephew. He’s gonna have to wait a bit now that I saw these articles popping up today. Shifting one of my 1070s that pc. Poor nephew is running a 660ti.

llien

Is GDDR6 cheaper than 5? (yes, I'm being naive)
Because if not, then it's an answer to what's coming from AMD.

RDNA sounds an awful lot like just suped up GCN right now instead of fundamentally new architecture like Ryzen was on the CPU side
Based on what?

1080TI level of performance has actually gotten *more* expensive since the day the 1080TI first released. Today the same is embodied in the 2080.
Good point.

Last edited:

Hellgardia

I bet these Super versions will occupy current 20-series normal lineup.

The discounted versions will be the current ones.

That or these ones are actually SE versions like someone said before.

Imagine this lineup:
RTX2080Ti
RTX2080Super
RTX2080
RTX2070Super
RTX2070
RTX2060Super
RTX2060
GTX1660Ti
GTX1660
GTX1650

Last edited:

MadAnon

Feels like they released a thousand cards in the last couple of months already. Smells like panic mode tbh. Don't know if this is a good idea with regards to their brand image.
AMD with 7nm can barely beat 1 year old 14nm Nvidia cards. What's there to panic about? Sometimes it seems like people want to see what they want to see. In my country, RTX 2060 is a much much better buy than anything AMD can offer. Nvidia without any effort will just refresh their Turing and beat AMD again. Obviously, the current Turing lineup will decrease in price making them an even better buy.

Last edited:

More leaked info as of an hour ago.

I’m totally getting a 2080 super if it really has a 2080 ti chip with 11gb ram.

Zannegan

More leaked info as of an hour ago.

I’m totally getting a 2080 super if it really has a 2080 ti chip with 11gb ram.
Is this a reputable website? I ask because I've read more evenhanded posts from Forbes contributers and fan forums. This person sounds so hyped--not about the coming cards, of course, but the brilliance and inevitable world domination from NVidia--that a stock bump might make them weep for joy.

As a longtime console gamer who's been planning to finally build that gaming PC for the past three years, I'm too far outside the PC space to even know who to turn to for solid information, much less to have a horse in this race. Based on tone alone though, I'm feeling a little skeptical of their claims, and I don't even know what those numbers would mean in terms of real-world performance. Lol.

Help me out here.

Ellery

Is this a reputable website? I ask because I've read more evenhanded posts from Forbes contributers and fan forums. This person sounds so hyped--not about the coming cards, of course, but the brilliance and inevitable world domination from NVidia--that a stock bump might make them weep for joy.

As a longtime console gamer who's been planning to finally build that gaming PC for the past three years, I'm too far outside the PC space to even know who to turn to for solid information, much less to have a horse in this race. Based on tone alone though, I'm feeling a little skeptical of their claims, and I don't even know what those numbers would mean in terms of real-world performance. Lol.

Help me out here.

WCCFTECH is as low as it gets. Pure clickbait. Pure hype. Pure speculation. They do a "news" bit for everything. I could mail them that Navi 64 CU card comes out in August faster than RTX Titan for 899$ and they would publish it 5 minutes later.

Top Bottom