• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia plans to lock Game Ready drivers behind GeForce Experience registration

Bl@de

Ok but the fixes of previous games are included in the newer game ready releases?

For instance, i had the Witcher 3 game ready driver. I upgraded to the latest one (Star Wars). Are the Witcher 3 fixes included? Or do i have to uninstall and go back in order to maximize performance in that game?

Of course they are included. But performance always varies to a certain extent (0-2%) for every version. Keep in mind that the gameready driver is not necessary the fastest for a game. It's just the first and releases the same day. I think it's more important for SLI users because of the profile.

Grassy

No word of a lie, the only time in the last 2 years I've had a corrupt videocard driver install was the one time when I tried to update the drivers with Geforce Experience. I promptly deleted that piece of shit and have never used it since.

The1Ski

Does anyone here actually LIKE GeForce Experience? Honest question.

Had anybody ever said "oh, you game on PC? Dude you gotta rock the GeForce Experience! It's dooooooope!"

Guri

Yeah, I don't get what Nvidia gets from this, with the exception of forcing users to keep a software most of them don't use. It limits choice and with a risk of keeping away those who can't use GFE for some reason.

Had anybody ever said "oh, you game on PC? Dude you gotta rock the GeForce Experience! It's dooooooope!"
I liked it when I could stream from my PC to my Nexus 7 using Limelight/Moonlight, but they took that away a long time ago.

AP90

It lets me know when my drivers are out of date =P. And if you have a lower end gpu, you could get some benefit from there game optimizer maybe?? But you can also do that yourself by reading online posts if you actually care about performance and etc..

Edit: My 980ti and my OC'ed settings (or any high end gpu) would not really require the optimizing features IMO.

Bolivar687

Banned

I really didn't like it back when I was a Nvidia user. The tweaking never seemed close for what I could actually do myself if I wanted prioritize visuals or performance. It probably wasn't intended for users like me but I would never recommend a casual PC gamer to use it over just playing around with the settings themselves.

This probably isn't a big deal, though.

dr_rus

Yeah, I don't get what Nvidia gets from this, with the exception of forcing users to keep a software most of them don't use. It limits choice and with a risk of keeping away those who can't use GFE for some reason.

Well, I have a couple of ideas which may actually lead to them somewhat requiring this for intermediate driver updates - but since they're too busy to tell us any details on this and provide solid reasons for such decision then I won't even bother talking about what could these reasons be.

Let'em burn.

Guri

Well, I have a couple of ideas which may actually lead to them somewhat requiring this for intermediate driver updates - but since they're too busy to tell us any details on this and provide solid reasons for such decision then I won't even bother talking about what could these reasons be.

Let'em burn.

Let's wait and see them. Also, I hope that at least they fix GFE for those who can't use, as shown by some people in this thread.

realcZk

Interesting... don't really see the need for this. Really wouldn't care if GeForce experience was a stable application that opened when I clicked it and always worked correctly.

Guess I'll wait for someone to post the direct links then.

bobeth

A shame if this happens. There is absolutely nothing in GeForce Experience I need, hopefully there is a way to shut it down once the drivers are updated..

Guri

what is a game ready driver? can i still get drivers in their website?

Drivers released specifically for the launch of a big game, also including SLI profiles. For example, Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Star Wars: Battlefront will get game-ready drivers.

PaulLFC

This would be bad enough if GeForce Experience actually worked. It doesn't.

It's telling me my currently installed driver (355.82) is current and up to date. I've known it to not update drivers in the past when they are already on the website, so I just checked while drivers are still on their site - sure enough, what's the latest version? 358.50.

GeForce "Experience" indeed. An experience in software that doesn't work.

DeaviL

Banned
So i'll only be able to download new drivers once all the bugs are actually removed from the game-ready ones?
Eh, try harder Nvidia. I'm not installing Geforce Experience.

pestul

I had a pretty good experience with GFE on my gaming rig.. until the last set of Game Ready drivers. It finished then I started getting weird runtime errors and random closes.. :s

There should always be an option for manual install of beta drivers.

SigSig

This is just a taste of the 100% Nvidia GPU monopoly future.
Prepare for paid optimized drivers and other hijinks once AMD is out of the picture for good.

CSJ

GF Experience for updating drivers is bullshit, it doesn't work properly, I've dealt with way too many people's issue to come to that anecdotal conclusion though.

As for game ready drivers, I couldn't give a flying fuck personally, I've never had to upgrade to get a game to work nicely before now but whenever I do(upgrade that is), there's always a bug someone missed. The latest one however was the battlefront drivers that required a minimum driver level; these one's killed performance in GM200 cards with G-Sync, specifically in any window mode.

It's always something, so that's why I run drivers a few months back.
Nothing good comes from jumping on the latest stuff, if it aint broke... :p

This, along with Win10, is one of those deals where they build a walled garden around a largely captive audience instead of attracting a large captive audience to an attractive walled garden. They have no real impetus to do much more than bread and circuses to keep backlash from getting focused as we're not really in there of our own accord. Slowness, lack of features, lack of control, lack of transparency are the new normal, and strange devil's advocacy tut-tuts those wary or angry about this.

Watch as this happens ALOT more in the future.

etta

my hard graphic balls
This is just a taste of the 100% Nvidia GPU monopoly future.
Prepare for paid optimized drivers and other hijinks once AMD is out of the picture for good.
That's not going to happen, someone else will pick up AMD's place.

Daingurse

Lame. I stopped installing it since I don't really use Shadowplay anymore, and I heard GFE had processes running in the background that I don't want or need.

Buburibon

I don't like that they're doing that. I've been avoiding GeForce Experience ever since it was introduced. It's just another background process I currently have no use for, and I'd much rather continue to opt out of it and download drivers directly from the website as soon as they're available.

diffusionx

Gold Member

You don't see what Nvidia would get with a full list of everyone's hardware and game installs tied to an e-mail address?

I really hate Nvidia. I keep buying their hardware because they are so much better than AMD, but I would drop them at the first available opportunity. GeForce Experience was something I liked because it automatically updates stuff and sets up games. But I'm not registering for it.

Caayn

And so it begins. Just Cause 3 drivers are currently locked behind Geforce Experience. Users that don't have Geforce Experience need to wait for it to be released to everyone.

shiyrley

Banned
Not sure why this is a problem.
Because GeForce Experience is absolute trash. The program itself is good but it doesn't work properly

Screenshot by me:
d8712aeaa8.png

I get this behaviour almost every time I check the task manager

"but but but that's your problem, it doesn't happen to anybody else"
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ce-experience-backend-taking-up-a-lot-of-cpu/

"b-b-b-b-b-but it doesn't happen to me so the problem doesn't exist!"

TVOyg5s.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I also have issues with nvBackend eating up CPU cycles for no obvious reason. Very frustrating.

Deepo

The driver isn't out yet, neither in GFE or on the website.

Andrew Burnes said:
It's available tomorrow for Just Cause 3 and Rainbow Six. Note, both games were originally due out on the 1st after our planned driver release, but were moved up today.

Top Bottom