• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA: PS4 GPU 3x less powerful than Titan, but more powerful than Xbox 720

Spongebob

Banned
Having 1/3 the power of a $1000 GPU is nothing to be ashamed of.

I really don't understand why NVIDIA keep on commenting on this.

SparkTR

But you know what I love about consoles now that I'm not 15 and have all the time in the world to troubleshoot shit? Just popping that fucker in and playing it. No modifying .dll's, no driver updates, no nothing. I got stupid grown up shit to do, so I want to do my childish hobby as fast and easy as possible.

Let's not shit up this thread, alright?

Remmy2112

How would NVIDIA know the exact specs of the 720?

Unless I'm horribly mistaken they -may- know because of the process that had AMD and Nvidia competing to supply the GPU for the consoles, which they ultimately did not get/backed out of. They may be in a position to know at least something about what AMD got the job with.

Burt

I don't get why Nvidia keeps feeling the need to flaunt these kind of numbers. We get it already.

The real question is that if they're already releasing GPUs that are 3 times as powerful as consoles and consoles are almost always the baseline for major releases, what hardware are they going to be releasing 2-3 years down the line? I really don't think there's going to be much of a market for the highest end hardware at that point, and that's just gonna lower as the generation goes on.

Just to jog my memory, current gen is something like a 7800 GTX equivalent and it got passed in terms of power by the 8800 GT, right?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
But you know what I love about consoles now that I'm not 15 and have all the time in the world to troubleshoot shit? Just popping that fucker in and playing it. No modifying .dll's, no driver updates, no nothing. I got stupid grown up shit to do, so I want to do my childish hobby as fast and easy as possible.

can't you put off masturbating for the extra 9 seconds it takes to switch to native resolution?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
All that graph says to me is:

Console: bought/relax for 6 - 10 years
PC: Upgrade/upgrade/upgrade/upgrade/upgrade ...

b382e1f7.jpg

Keslord

Banned
I don't care about power. In fact, I would prefer if power was used solely for better AI, and the money that we've been using for gorgeous setpieces get put towards better soundtracks, stories, etc.

Anyways, I realize PC gaming has it's merits. I've got an okay gaming PC myself, although with next gen coming I need to upgrade my CPU and ditch the SLI 450s. However, there's some kind of... Atmosphere around playing console games. Especially older consoles that were just pop in the disc and go.

SparkTR

I don't get why Nvidia keeps feeling the need to flaunt these kind of numbers. We get it already.

The real question is that if they're already releasing GPUs that are 3 times as powerful as consoles and consoles are almost always the baseline for major releases, what hardware are they going to be releasing 2-3 years down the line? I really don't think there's going to be much of a market for the highest end hardware at that point, and that's just gonna lower as the generation goes on.

VR needs lots of raw power to use correctly, that coupled with stuff like 4k monitors (which Intel are apparently pushing in 2014) will mean a need for more power.

Well their GPU series in 2016 (Volta) has a 1TB/s bandwith...

Oh god, here we go again.

Let me pre-cap the thread:
- salty
- console optimization
- to the metal
- carmack
- overhead
- $3000 PCs

Did I miss anything?

To the metal always makes me laugh when most devs are using some middleware where half the game logic is running in some kind of VM for LUA, UnrealScript, or Javascript.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
The graph also show the PS4 releasing first, or am I reading that incorrectly?

Perhaps it just means unveiled.

VanWinkle

So the PS4 GPU has 1/3rd of the performance of a THOUSAND DOLLAR GPU?! That's way better than I thought it would be. When you take into account the advantages of console development, that's pretty darn good.

Jedi2016

Off the chartz.
Yeah.. the bottom of the chartz.

All I'm hearing from NVidia is "Yeah, we don't know what the hell's in either one, but here's our best guess". I'm fairly sure they don't have any "inside information" on the exact system specs of XBW (XboxWhatever). Hell, we don't even know the exact specs of the PS4 hardware, only generalized info.

Durante

but carmack said
Just to make that clear, in my first post in the thread I don't mean to imply that Carmack is wrong. However:
1) what he said has no bearing on what NV is doing here (comparing hardware capabilities)
2) even adding in the full "Carmack factor" (2x) -- which I think is rather high given the relative lack of architectural difference this time around -- a Titan is still more powerful.

onQ123

Damn all the talking Nvidia put together a Grid render farm & make games for it & rent it out for $15 a month.

007.jpg

SparkTR

I don't care about power. In fact, I would prefer if power was used solely for better AI, and the money that we've been using for gorgeous setpieces get put towards better soundtracks, stories, etc.

Anyways, I realize PC gaming has it's merits. I've got an okay gaming PC myself, although with next gen coming I need to upgrade my CPU and ditch the SLI 450s. However, there's some kind of... Atmosphere around playing console games. Especially older consoles that were just pop in the disc and go.

That atmosphere largely died for me this generation, else I'd still be a mainly console only gamer. I still get that with older consoles though, which I love.

Spongebob

Banned
Just to make that clear, in my first post in the thread I don't mean to imply that Carmack is wrong. However:
1) what he said has no bearing on what NV is doing here (comparing hardware capabilities)
2) even adding in the full "Carmack factor" (2x) -- which I think is rather high given the relative lack of architectural difference this time around -- a Titan is still more powerful.
A $400 console being capable of 2/3 of what a $1000 GPU is capable of doing is amazing.

Dumbest response ever read.

MechaZain

Banned
All that graph says to me is:

Console: bought/relax for 6 - 10 years
PC: Upgrade/upgrade/upgrade/upgrade/upgrade ...

b382e1f7.jpg

The interesting thing about this graph that's going to be ignored is the widening gap between PC and consoles at launch. I honestly wonder why/how the 360 and PS3 were on par with the high end GPUs and the PS4/Nextbox aren't.

kuroshiki

Well they didn't include the RROD and dying PhatPS3s in it so one could come to that conclusion.

You make it sound like videocard never go out bad. =X

But I also do agree that this gen's console had some high failure rate. I don't expect next gen would follow its footstep, however. (with all talk about efficiency over power craziness)

Top Bottom