• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia releases Game Ready Driver 465.89 with Resizable BAR support for RTX 3000 series

As promised by Nvidia a while ago now, a new Game Ready driver is now available with support for Resizable BAR on all RTX 3000 cards.

What is Resizable BAR?

Note that this Nvidia page is already out of date, as AMD has already implemented Resizable BAR on Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000/4000 series) as well as Zen 3 (Ryzen 5000 series). If you have Zen 2, you will need a motherboard BIOS with AGESA 1.2.0.1 to get Resizable BAR support. Zen 3 has had it since AGESA 1.1.0.0.

Intel support for Resizable BAR is currently officially limited to only 10th and 11th gen Core processors running 400 series chipsets, however many motherboard manufacturers have implemented Resizable BAR on 300 series as well so if you have 8th or 9th gen and your motherboard has a BIOS with Resizable BAR then you are probably good to go.

My BAR has now reached Maximum Resizability. I have a 3900X so I can confirm that Zen 2 is indeed working with Resizable BAR.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
any performance gains with zen2?
mine is also zen2, would be nice if it helps so i can upgrade to 3080ti soon

Ok but what is it lol?
It lets you make your BAR bigger. Everyone wants a bigger BAR so they can serve more drinks. Or I dunno, read the Nvidia page I linked which explains what it does.
any performance gains with zen2?
mine is also zen2, would be nice if it helps so i can upgrade to 3080ti soon
People have been benchmarking Zen 2 vs. Zen 3 and the performance benefit is definitely smaller for Zen 2, AMD stated they changed the cache design in Zen 3 which benefits Resizable BAR. I'm watching people posting their results at https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/ and that's what it looks like anyways.

mxbison

I'll wait for some more benchmarks before going through the hassle of a BIOS update.

(Yes, I'm that lazy)

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
gWIT2HE.jpg

sSl33ac.jpg

AMAZING MAN i just tried borderlands 3 and it still has micro stutters from time to time.
Metro EXODUS still controls like hot wank.

srsly tho. didn't really noticed anything so far,
REFLEX impressed me a lot in COD cold war and overwatch. This is kinda.. eh Cool if you have a 3060 i guess?

100 or 104 fps is really not something i would care about. Tone one BS setting lower and BAM free 20+ fps

Last edited:

Ironbunny

"Resizable BAR is an optional PCI Express interface technology. As you move through a world in a game, GPU memory (VRAM) constantly transfers textures, shaders and geometry via many small CPU to GPU transfers.

With the ever-growing size of modern game assets, this results in a lot of transfers. Using Resizable BAR, assets can instead be requested as-needed and sent in full, so the CPU can efficiently access the entire frame buffer. And if multiple requests are made, transfers can occur concurrently, rather than queuing. "

geforce-rtx-3080-resizable-bar-performance-improvements.png

Last edited:
For anyone interested, I'm seeing reports that if you have a BIOS update for your motherboard, 8th and 9th gen Intel do in fact have working Resizable BAR.

So basically everyone except ASUS motherboard owners :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Red-Town

Isn't there a whitelist of games that support this so far? I remember reading some games were losing performance with BAR on.

Might do it, see how much I gain on Cyberpunk with the 3090.

Last edited:

RobRSG

I went through the Mobo Bios upgrade, GPU Vbios upgrade and GPU driver upgrade.

Can confirm a 5% performance increase in Forza Horizon 4.

3700X, ASUS TUF X570 Plus Wifi and ASUS TUF 3080 OC.

Isn't there a whitelist of games that support this so far? I remember reading some games were losing performance with BAR on.

Might do it, see how much I gain on Cyberpunk with the 3090.
There is a whitelist and Cyberpunk is on it.

Between this BAR Embiggening and patch 1.2, I'm thinking about starting to play it finally.

This actually doesn't look good for Zen 2 users. If Nvidia only tests on the officially supported Zen 3, then Zen 2 users will always be left with situations like this where they might face performance regressions because their whitelist only applies to Zen 3.

rofif

Banned
Apparently it works on my 3700x/x570 combo.
I was already on latest bios, so updated nvidia drivers and 3080fe with the vbios and rbar is on. nice.
I think 10 more fps in death stranding and tiny bit better result in timespy benchmark. at least it's now worse

Last edited:

Soodanim

Pretty big performance boosts in some games, especially in RDR2 which is tough to run. I imagine this will only get better over time.

Last edited:

llien

"Resizable BAR is an optional PCI Express interface technology. As you move through a world in a game, GPU memory (VRAM) constantly transfers textures, shaders and geometry via many small CPU to GPU transfers.

With the ever-growing size of modern game assets, this results in a lot of transfers. Using Resizable BAR, assets can instead be requested as-needed and sent in full, so the CPU can efficiently access the entire frame buffer. And if multiple requests are made, transfers can occur concurrently, rather than queuing. "

geforce-rtx-3080-resizable-bar-performance-improvements.png
Curious.
TPU told me "BAR brings barely any improvement to NV GPUs".

PS
Ah, I see why:

UjCYAMu.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom