• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Reportedly Planning GeForce RTX 3080 SUPER & GeForce RTX 3070 SUPER Graphics Cards

Allandor

I don't see how they would want that in the near future. The cards are just not available. Just ordered a RTX 3070 for ~680€. The price is so high because those cards are still very rare. Even the basic RX6800 card is at least 200€ more expensive and not available. So as long as this situation doesn't change, it wouldn't make sense for nvidia to launch new products.
I am really not happy about my Vega 56 card from Asus. Asus really nailed it how to make a good foundation from AMD really bad. And they made it again with their RX6800 cards. As if they do this intentionell. At least it seems like I can sell my vega card for the same price I bought it back then.

Hardware market is really ridiculous these days. Even older cards are selling for much higher prices.

Tallahassee

Apparently the mining shit is taking off again and cards with more than 4GB of VRAM are being targeted.

All 3080s.

mining-rig-78-rtx-3080-php6-million-noypigeeks-5135.jpg
when he turns on the crypto farm

Guess my 8GB 3070 will be fine for 1440p, at least for the next 2 or 3 years, right?

In any case I guess at that point we can just sell our GPU and buy a new model without expending too much. There a good perks to PC gaming too.

Ascend

I couldn't care less. I'm not a fanboy to any billion dollar corporation. You stated something as fact by linking an article that stated allegedly.

I've seen your posts and I'm aware of your agenda. Again, I don't care.
You cared enough to reply to me. And now you're back tracking because there are two other articles that don't say "allegedly". Seems legit.
It's pretty much proven at this point that nVidia sold directly to miners. How else would anyone get so many cards as in the picture posted on the previous page? But yeah. Keep the denial, as expected from someone that has to point out that they're not a fanboy.

mango drank

At this point, it's like Nvidia has a storefront in a mall, and there's a window display that shows off all the fancy GPUs they sell, and new ones are added periodically. Except inside the store the shelves are always empty, and the door to the store is locked 24/7 anyway.

Trogdor1123

NVIDIA Reportedly Planning GeForce RTX 3080 SUPER & GeForce RTX 3070 SUPER Graphics Cards​

We have seen a ton of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 series graphics card configurations that have been through the rumor mill only to be canceled soon after. It looks like NVIDIA is still deciding on what to do next with its Ampere lineup and as such, there are new rumors emerging from Kopite7kimi (via Videocardz), according to who, NVIDIA is preparing two brand new SKUs which might possibly by the GeForce RTX 3080 SUPER & the GeForce RTX 3070 SUPER.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 SUPER & GeForce RTX 3070 SUPER Reportedly Under Consideration, Could These Feature 16 GB GDDR6(X) VRAM?​

For starters, the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 SUPER & the GeForce RTX 3070 SUPER are not going to affect the upcoming card lineup which would include the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti & the GeForce RTX 3060. The GeForce RTX 3070 Ti could be a whole different story since we have heard about this SKU for a while now but nothing has been formulated aside from some rumored specifications. The RTX 3080 Ti and RTX 3070 Ti have also been canceled and relaunched with different specs a couple of times now.

The GeForce RTX 3080 Ti is even going to be introduced earlier than the RTX 3070 Ti so the status of this particular SKU is not confirmed yet. At the same time, one thing to note about the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti and GeForce RTX 3060 is how both of them feature much higher memory capacities than their predecessors. The RTX 3080 Ti replaces the RTX 2080 Ti with 9 GB higher VRAM (11 GB vs 20 GB) and the RTX 3060 replaces the RTX 2060 with twice the memory buffer (6 GB vs 12 GB). The same might just be the case with the SUPER series that NVIDIA has planned.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 SUPER & RTX 3070 SUPER

We don't have any concrete specifications of these two chips but if we go back to earlier rumors, then we can tell that NVIDIA had initially planned higher VRAM variants of both RTX 3080 & RTX 3070 graphics cards. The RTX 3080 was expected to feature 12-16 GB VRAM while the RTX 3070 also had been expected to feature similar VRAM amounts. However, that plan was scrapped in favor of NVIDIA going literally bonkers with its RTX 3090 design and keeping the rest of the lineup capped to 10 GB VRAM due to limited availability of GDDR6(X) modules.

By the time the RTX 3080 Ti launches, the memory supply will be far better. NVIDIA themselves have also confirmed that supply would get better by the end of the first quarter of 2021 so that is probably when NVIDIA can devise a better plan to re-release their GeForce RTX lineup in a SUPER fashion.

For this purpose, the GeForce RTX 3080 SUPER and GeForce RTX 3070 SUPER could be the first entrants in the lineup. Similar to the previous generation, NVIDIA wouldn't want to touch the high-end models since they will be positioned right against the competition. It's the RTX 3080 and below lineups such as the RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti which would require a SUPER refresh to tackle AMD's Radeon RX 6800 and RX 6700 series.

For that purpose alone, NVIDIA could end up featuring 16 GB of GDDR6(X) memory on both, the RTX 3080 SUPER (GDDR6X) & the GeForce 3070 SUPER (GDDR6). As for core configurations, they might also change with the GeForce RTX 3070 SUPER expected to utilize the GA103S GPU while the GeForce RTX 3080 SUPER would retain its GA102 GPU.

However, one critical thing to consider here would be the prices. Whether NVIDIA offers a price cut on existing variants and ends their production to make room for the new cards which is similar to what they did in the last generation or keep the existing cards and offer the SUPER variants with a slight premium, that remains to be seen. Lastly, don't expect the SUPER cards anytime soon as the green team has yet to be done with the original lineup. We can probably expect an announcement around Computex or during Summer which was also the case with the GeForce RTX 20 SUPER line.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series 'Ampere' Graphics Card Specifications:​

Graphics Card NameNVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 TiNVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 TiNVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti?NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti?NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
GPU NameAmpere GA107Ampere GA106?Ampere GA106?Ampere GA104-200Ampere GA104-300Ampere GA102-150Ampere GA102-200Ampere GA102-250Ampere GA102-300
Process NodeSamsung 8nmSamsung 8nmSamsung 8nmSamsung 8nmSamsung 8nmSamsung 8nmSamsung 8nmSamsung 8nmSamsung 8nm
Die SizeTBATBATBA395.2mm2395.2mm2628.4mm2628.4mm2628.4mm2628.4mm2
TransistorsTBATBATBA17.4 Billion17.4 Billion28 Billion28 Billion28 Billion28 Billion
CUDA Cores23043584384048645888742487041049610496
TMUs / ROPsTBATBATBA152 / 80184 / 96232 / 80272 / 96328 / 112328 / 112
Tensor / RT CoresTBATBATBA152 / 38184 / 46232 / 58272 / 68328 / 82328 / 82
Base ClockTBATBATBA1410 MHz1500 MHzTBA1440 MHzTBA1400 MHz
Boost ClockTBATBATBA1665 MHz1730 MHzTBA1710 MHzTBA1700 MHz
FP32 ComputeTBATBATBA16.2 TFLOPs20 TFLOPsTBA30 TFLOPsTBA36 TFLOPs
RT TFLOPsTBATBATBA32.4 TFLOPs40 TFLOPsTBA58 TFLOPsTBA69 TFLOPs
Tensor-TOPsTBATBATBATBA163 TOPsTBA238 TOPsTBA285 TOPs
Memory Capacity4 GB GDDR6?6 GB GDDR6?6 GB GDDR6?8 GB GDDR68 GB GDDR610 GB GDDR6X?10 GB GDDR6X20 GB GDDR6X24 GB GDDR6X
Memory Bus128-bit192-bit?192-bit?256-bit256-bit320-bit320-bit320-bit384-bit
Memory SpeedTBATBATBA14 Gbps14 GbpsTBA19 Gbps19 Gbps19.5 Gbps
BandwidthTBATBATBA448 Gbps448 GbpsTBA760 Gbps760 Gbps936 Gbps
TGP90W?TBATBA180W?220W320W?320W320W350W
Price (MSRP / FE)$149?$199?$299?$399 US?$499 US$599 US?$699 US$899 US?$1499 US
Launch (Availability)2021?2021?2021?November 2020?29th OctoberQ4 2020?17th SeptemberJanuary 2021?24th September

Source: WCCFTech

Would be great if true... Not holding my breath. That 3050ti would be awesome value

Ascend

At this point, it's like Nvidia has a storefront in a mall, and there's a window display that shows off all the fancy GPUs they sell, and new ones are added periodically. Except inside the store the shelves are always empty, and the door to the store is locked 24/7 anyway.
This is true for pretty much the whole graphics market at this point. And also AMD's Ryzen 5000 CPUs. It also makes it hard to get excited for new graphics cards announcements.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ass. That's how I feel as a pc gamer.
Hunting for 3080fe for a month(i got it month after release), always having newest components and the damn pc is like 3k...
And you are always behind. Always fd. Glad ps5 should come this month. I am kinda sick of pc gaming sometimes.

That’s your own mental issue, not the fault of the industry. No one said you have to have the best all the time

OnionSnake

Banned
I like my 3080, but for my living room PC I will be looking for something stronger. 10GB of VRAM just doesn't feel like enough for 4K60 going forward.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
So stupid. It’s equivalent to Sony releasing ps6 tomorrow. Nobody has these. Why wouldn’t you get production better first

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like my 3080, but for my living room PC I will be looking for something stronger. 10GB of VRAM just doesn't feel like enough for 4K60 going forward.

The 3090 with its 24GB of VRAM is not enough for max settings 4K60 going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Don't kill my dream :messenger_fearful:

I think the smart move is a 3070 or 3080 now (or stick with 2080 Super/Ti if you have one) and then upgrade to 4080/5080 down the road and be mostly set for the generation, especially if the rumors about the 4000 series performance are true.

Last edited by a moderator:

Md Ray

But he doesn't explain "why" it's the way to go
Because next-gen games will be more VRAM intensive, maybe that's why? I mean isn't it obvious?

and I doubt he can point to a single game that is being bottlenecked at 1440p by 8GB of VRAM.
Why would he? All we have now are PS4/XB1 ports.

Going forward, a 3070 almost certainly isn't going to be enough to last you the entire generation anyway if you want to max out games and get 60+ FPS at 1440p.
Also, I'd like to make it clear that I'm not talking about maxing out and getting 60+fps. It's not about that. It's about at least matching with the console version in terms of texture quality and getting smoother frame times while lasting the entire generation. The way I see it, 3070, heck even the 3060 Ti have more horsepower in rendering than PS5/XSX GPUs but these NVIDIA GPUs lack in VRAM department that you may have to knock down the texture quality a step below PS5/XSX level in next-gen games if those games utilized up to 10 gigs of their RAM as video memory.

PS4 and XB1 allocated 5 GB for games out of 8 GB. And out of 5 GB, 3 to 3.5 GB was used as a VRAM and the rest as system memory on PS4. And this 3-4 GB became the general minimum required VRAM on PC. 2 GB quickly became outdated and wasn't enough.

BvZCd2G.png

Here's an e.g. showing Killzone SF a launch PS4 title using up to 3GB as VRAM. Anyway, I don't intend to derail the thread any further and hope I got my point across.

You cared enough to reply to me. And now you're back tracking because there are two other articles that don't say "allegedly". Seems legit.
It's pretty much proven at this point that nVidia sold directly to miners. How else would anyone get so many cards as in the picture posted on the previous page? But yeah. Keep the denial, as expected from someone that has to point out that they're not a fanboy.

I replied to you because you quoted me. And for the third time, I don't care, you weirdo. I couldn't care less if NVidia sold directly to miners. I don't care about Nvidia and I don't care about AMD. You posted an article that said 'allegedly' as fact. I called you on it. That's it.

You're an unashamed fanboy of a huge corporation who A). doesn't know you exist and B). couldn't care less about you. We aren't all as sad as you so don't treat us as such. Thanks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Here's an e.g. showing Killzone SF a launch PS4 title using up to 3GB as VRAM. Anyway, I don't intend to derail the thread any further and hope I got my point across.

Well, to be fair, Shadowfall is still one of the better looking games of the generation.

Hezekiah

Banned
Why am I not surprised. The 3080 seems like less value every passing day. Not that you can find one anyway.

vram.

3080 = 10GB
3090 = 24GB

the 3080 Ti is likely gonna be 16GB. the 3080S could be 20GB. or if the 3080 Ti is 12GB then the 3080S could be 16GB.
I'm not even sure why you're coming up with your own whacky and illogical VRAM capacities for the 3080 Ti when it's well known by now that it will have 20GB. Multiple 3rd party vendors have confirmed it. There's no point in speculating with such ridiculous amounts like that.

Buggy Loop

So stupid. It’s equivalent to Sony releasing ps6 tomorrow. Nobody has these. Why wouldn’t you get production better first

Yields, how do they work?

3070 Ti is the logical chipset that results in a worse yield of the G102, just under the 3080. Same with the 3080 Ti, a tad worse than the 3090.

This is recycling worse yields that happen during manufacturing, rather than throw them in the garbage.

I got a 3090 in my main rig and a 2080 super in my other one...would love to replace that one with a 3080 Super...but I feel like they're gonna do the low availability thing all over again lol

//DEVIL//

Guess my 8GB 3070 will be fine for 1440p, at least for the next 2 or 3 years, right?

In any case I guess at that point we can just sell our GPU and buy a new model without expending too much. There a good perks to PC gaming too.
for a 2k, I would rather use a 2080ti since they are about the same but has more VRAM. but yes you are fine for 2k gaming.

problem is 4k gaming really. if Cyberpunk is any indication of next gaming, even the 3090 I have will struggle with 4k ray tracing ultra even with DLSS. ( i get between 54 fps to up to 90 fps ) for some reason with everything ultra ray tracing on dlss auto

Patrick S.

Banned
So I spend 2 months waiting so that I can give nvidia my €800, and two months later they already devaluate my purchase? Fuck that shit, man.

Last edited:
So I spend 2 months waiting so that I can give nvidia my €800, and two months later they already devaluate my purchase? Fuck that shit, man.

My brother bought a 2070 for his first build. Then they dropped the Supers soon after. Always best to hold off for a while.

dave_d

Wait, so
175,000,000/ 800 = 218,750

Wait so they allegedly sold nearly a quarter of a million cards to miners? That's what the article is claiming?

Ascend

If you say so. Your posts in threads like this one suggest otherwise. Which I've always found odd because you seem like an intelligent guy.

Thanks for the compliment. Let me just say... People are too stuck in dualities.

I really dislike Apple as a company. Does that make me an Android fanboy? Or maybe a Microsoft fanboy?
I dislike Biden. I must be a Trump supporter that hates Mexicans, right?
I am against feminism. I guess that means I'm a mysogynist and a rapist.
I'm against forcing people to take medication. I guess that means I'm an anti-vaxxer.

And there are countless of other examples that have the same mentality. So... After all that... I'll say;
I really dislike nVidia as a company. Does that automatically make me an AMD fanboy...?
Only in the eyes of the nVidia fanboys, because what I dislike about their company offends them.

It's not like there are other alternatives to AMD, and I wish there were, because AMD always messes something up.

b0uncyfr0

NV will cheap out on the RAM - they dont have to give 16Gb like AMD because they still have the advantage with DLSS/RT. My money's on 12 for the midrange and 14GB tops for the upper range. Anything 16Gb wil prob have a different branding., like TI. Just so they can sell more..

Thanks for the compliment. Let me just say... People are too stuck in dualities.

I really dislike Apple as a company. Does that make me an Android fanboy? Or maybe a Microsoft fanboy?
I dislike Biden. I must be a Trump supporter that hates Mexicans, right?
I am against feminism. I guess that means I'm a mysogynist and a rapist.
I'm against forcing people to take medication. I guess that means I'm an anti-vaxxer.

And there are countless of other examples that have the same mentality. So... After all that... I'll say;
I really dislike nVidia as a company. Does that automatically make me an AMD fanboy...?
Only in the eyes of the nVidia fanboys, because what I dislike about their company offends them.

It's not like there are other alternatives to AMD, and I wish there were, because AMD always messes something up.

If you simply have an issue with Nvidia then that's fair enough. Wholly understandable.

PerfectDark

Banned
I have a evga 3070 unopened. Last part comes in a few days. Seeing this makes me not want to open or use my 3070 to have a 3070 super in a month replace it for the same price. Its just a slap in the face. Like hey you spend 3+ hrs a day for 100 days trying to get a 3000 card only to have it replaced just when you get one.

b0uncyfr0

I have a evga 3070 unopened. Last part comes in a few days. Seeing this makes me not want to open or use my 3070 to have a 3070 super in a month replace it for the same price. Its just a slap in the face. Like hey you spend 3+ hrs a day for 100 days trying to get a 3000 card only to have it replaced just when you get one.
Id stock it just for abit longer - you will make a profit.

WakeTheWolf

Am I best just sticking with my RX 5700 xt instead of the 3080 considering 10gb vram won't be enough for 4k 60 in future

GreatnessRD

It's just too much going on in the PC world right now. I don't like nothing bout it!

CES should be very, very interesting.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Those of you who want an RTX 3080 but still haven't been able to get one should just cave in and get an RTX 3090. Yes, its performance to cost ratio is poor, but it's obtainable due to the relatively low demand for it, it's got a future-proof amount of VRAM, and it's up to 15% faster than a 3080.

It's your best option if you don't live near a brick-and-mortar store such as Micro Center and are subsequetly reliant solely on online purchasing; it'll be months - if not longer - until you can actually get a 3080 via online options.

So, just get a 3090.

Those of you who want an RTX 3080 but still haven't been able to get one should just cave in and get an RTX 3090. Yes, its performance to cost ratio is poor, but it's obtainable due to the relatively low demand for it, it's got a future-proof amount of VRAM, and it's up to 15% faster than a 3080.

It's your best option if you don't live near a brick-and-mortar store such as Micro Center and are subsequetly reliant solely on online purchasing; it'll be months - if not longer - until you can actually get a 3080 via online options.

So, just get a 3090.

I want a founders edition 3090 but they are nowhere to be found in Sweden, not even on Nvidias store can you get one.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I want a founders edition 3090 but they are nowhere to be found in Sweden, not even on Nvidias store can you get one.

Why not get an EVGA FTW3 Ultra Gaming? It's beautiful, it's faster than the Founders Edition out of the box, and has higher overclockability.

Why not get an EVGA FTW3 Ultra Gaming? It's beautiful, it's faster than the Founders Edition out of the box, and has higher overclockability.

I dont like that triple fan design, I want a card that pushes the air out of the case instead of spreading it around. Also founders edition looks way better, I have a glass window and I like looking at it.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I dont like that triple fan design, I want a card that pushes the air out of the case instead of spreading it around. Also founders edition looks way better, I have a glass window and I like looking at it.

I have a glass case too and I love looking at my 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming in it.

q70rjnw.jpg

lONz7Fg.jpg

K.S v2.0

Banned
Absolutely no surprise.

I totally called they were going to release a 'super' or whatever variant of this considering how it's public knowledge they are having all sorts of issues with chip yield of the current cards, which is one factor to the shortages. That and the clear highlighted heat issues and similar... yeah, they're going to need to fix these issues with a refresh, so here we are.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Absolutely no surprise.

I totally called they were going to release a 'super' or whatever variant of this considering how it's public knowledge they are having all sorts of issues with chip yield of the current cards, which is one factor to the shortages. That and the clear highlighted heat issues and similar... yeah, they're going to need to fix these issues with a refresh, so here we are.

There's nothing to suggest that these cards will be a refresh (i.e. a redesign of the chips); it seems that the only differences will be the amounts of VRAM.

K.S v2.0

Banned
There's nothing to suggest that these cards will be a refresh (i.e. a redesign of the chips); it seems that the only differences will be the amounts of VRAM.

They at least better fix the heat issues... Otherwise, increased RAM is still enough of a reason to not buy 'vanilla'. To this day I still feel slight regret over buying a vanilla RTX 2080 back in the day.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
What heat issues? The chips produce a lot of heat due to Samsung's less efficient 8nm node relative to TSMC's 7nm node. However, both the Founders Edition cards and most of the 3rd-party cards have very effective coolers. For example, my RTX 3090 FTW3 peaks at about 74 degrees Celcius when running Cyberpunk 2077 at 4K; that's pretty good for an air-cooled chip.

Furthermore, that's in the same range of temps that the RX 6900 XT produces. According to the review below, the RX 6900 XT can reach 81 degrees Celcius under load.

Top Bottom