• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

TVexperto

I was watching a few undervolting videos like this one from OptimumTech.

and this one:

Their base frequency is 1300 MHz

Just to add my starting frequency of the curve starts at stock 1200 MHz?

Is this normal? From their videos their base clock when setting a curve was higher. They also are using a Founders Edition 3080.
Screenshot:

Why is mine at 1200mhz and theirs at 1300mhz?

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I guess you can push to 4.5 and memory to 3200-3400. It will help a bit.
But yeah 4 cores is long in the tooth.
That's the thing. I have an i7-6700k oc'ed to 4.6 GHz. But every time I watch a video about CPUs there's usually some discussion about how antiquated Intel's 14 nm design is and how they just keep milking it. I don't want to end up buying the last antiquated design and then have them switch to something way more powerful and future-proof.

Type_Raver

I was watching a few undervolting videos like this one from OptimumTech.

and this one:

Their base frequency is 1300 MHz

Just to add my starting frequency of the curve starts at stock 1200 MHz?

Is this normal? From their videos their base clock when setting a curve was higher. They also are using a Founders Edition 3080.
Screenshot:

Why is mine at 1200mhz and theirs at 1300mhz?

Dont worry about the start of the curve, whats important is the frequency you want your GPU to peak.
From memory you hold the Shift key and drag the curve down to your desired frequency.
Then click and drag the desired mV point up to that frequency, hit apply.

Example, I did mine 1950Mhz at 850mV. (EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra)
This is how my Timespy scores compared to stock:

Timespy Score gfx 1gfx 2Clock maxClock avgMemory Power
STOCK13473115.65101.7219951933Default382w
UNDERVOLT13591118.42102.931920 1888+1100305w

Dont worry about the start of the curve, whats important is the frequency you want your GPU to peak.
From memory you hold the Shift key and drag the curve down to your desired frequency.
Then click and drag the desired mV point up to that frequency, hit apply.

Example, I did mine 1950Mhz at 850mV. (EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra)
This is how my Timespy scores compared to stock:

Timespy Score gfx 1gfx 2Clock maxClock avgMemory Power
STOCK13473115.65101.7219951933Default382w
UNDERVOLT13591118.42102.9319201888+1100305w

This Is the Way !

Looks like you've got yourself a nice clocker. I had to set mine to 1905 [MSi Gaming X] in order to just pass the test @0.850v, though during the test it was locked to 1920 all the way. Stock bios settings seem to be seriously bad and everytime board gets anywhere near 345-350W core frequency takes a dive.

Timespy Gfx scoreGfx 1 (fps)Gfx 2Clock maxClock avgfrequent drops toMemoryPower W
Stock @1,068 V17,745117.22100.561965~19201860stock~345
Undervolt @0.850 V18,212120.45103.09192019201920 [locked]+1175~295
Oced(?) @0.918 V18,695123.48105.962010~19651965+1175~340

Md Ray

Someone please post some good Ampere deep-dive articles to read. AFAIK, AnandTech doesn't seem to have one. I've watched Gamers Nexus's vid but I'm hungry for more!

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've been sitting in Queue for 3 different 3080's since 10/6. I've all but given up.
I had given up to be honest. I just happened to check my email on my lunch break and then I was like @_@
If it happened for me then it can definitely happen for you.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
So I had 2x RTX 3080 in pre-order, none have arrived thus far and won't any time soon. So I decided to jump on a 6900XT card that was in stock and can be delivered home to me by tomorrow. Time to set up that LG OLED CX 48" that's been in a box for a week now :).
I'll cancel at least one of the 3080s and perhaps keep the other, can always resell it if it ever arrives.

Last edited:
So I had 2x RTX 3080 in pre-order, none have arrived thus far and won't any time soon. So I decided to jump on a 6900XT card that was in stock and can be delivered home to me by tomorrow. Time to set up that LG OLED CX 48" that's been in a box for a week now :).
I'll cancel at least one of the 3080s and perhaps keep the other, can always resell it if it ever arrives.
Sell me the extra 3080?

//DEVIL//

hey guys. a quick question.

I just got my hand on an FTW 3 3070. amazing card and all. but the fans keep spinning on idle. any idea why? no MSI burner fan curve and the X1 software is on default I didn't even touch it.

the temp on the card is 28 degrees :/

RoboFu

One of the green rats
hey guys. a quick question.

I just got my hand on an FTW 3 3070. amazing card and all. but the fans keep spinning on idle. any idea why? no MSI burner fan curve and the X1 software is on default I didn't even touch it.

the temp on the card is 28 degrees :/

try updating your motherboard

//DEVIL//

What ? What does motherboard update has anything to do with this ? I had an FE card 3070 before and it didn’t do this issue

fixed it. All I had to do is a complete fresh reinstall of the drivers.

fuck I almost had a heart attack something is wrong with the card. because it's perfect. black trim not red. temp 61 max during heavy or benchmark gaming... no coil whine. just perfect I am in love with this.

knock on wood lol

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What ? What does motherboard update has anything to do with this ? I had an FE card 3070 before and it didn’t do this issue

I had issues with 2 2080s with that would run one fan as hard as it could. I updated my motherboards firmware based on a suggestion I found .. which fixed the issue.

Korranator

Fuck it.

Gave up on the 3080, and bought a 3070FE. Yeah, I paid a bit more than MRSP, but have you seen the current prices on newegg lately ($620 -$820)? Not that you can actually buy a 30XX there anyway.

Should be a huge upgrade from my old lowly 970. I'll probably install it this weekend, since I have to swap PSUs from my older PC.

Last edited:

AGRacing

fixed it. All I had to do is a complete fresh reinstall of the drivers.

fuck I almost had a heart attack something is wrong with the card. because it's perfect. black trim not red. temp 61 max during heavy or benchmark gaming... no coil whine. just perfect I am in love with this.

knock on wood lol
I have the same card right now.

+130 core
+1100 memory (may have more room there).

Any higher on core would crash in unreal engine games and cyberpunk. +130 absolutely stable. Avg core clock 2085. Never breaks low 60s in temp.

Excellent card.

mindfactory just bumped the price on Ampere and RDNA2 cards.
On the bright side, no problems with availability (except 3080, which is still MIA). :messenger_beaming:
E.g. $499 3070 is all yours, for mere 799 to 879€.

Treating people like rubes.

No respect for these two companies (red and green). They piss on your head and tell you its raining.

Jezbollah

Fuck it.

Gave up on the 3080, and bought a 3070FE. Yeah, I paid a bit more than MRSP, but have you seen the current prices on newegg lately ($620 -$820)? Not that you can actually buy a 30XX there anyway.

Should be a huge upgrade from my old lowly 970. I'll probably install it this weekend, since I have to swap PSUs from my older PC.

That's a really, REALLY nice upgrade. Enjoy!!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Gpus are all crazy expensive right now. I was looking for a 2080 super to tide me over thinking I'd find a good price. Wrong. Seen them going for 700+

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

holy shit 5600xt and 5700 cost their weight in gold too now... everything is like 2 or 3 times too expensive.
Not to mention, that graphics cards were to expensive even at msrp... getting my 3080 founders for msrp from nvidia site was the biggest achievement of my life lol

Last edited:

dave_d

I still haven't seen anything from the multiple EVGA queues I'm on, including the one where I got in on it within an hour of it starting. Funny thing is I managed to snag a EVGA 3070 a few weeks back from Bestbuy. (I'll really need to take some photos of my final rig and put it up in the PC building thread. Took months to actually get the GPU so I could finally finish it.)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Oh man loving this new system. Near instant boot, games load faster than the PS5, the liquid cooling keeps temps low.

tenor.gif

Celcius

°Temp. member
Under load, while playing Cyberpunk 2077, my EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming reaches ~75 degrees Celcius. Is this too high?

I've got my case fans running at full speed and I've applied a very aggressive fan curve that pushes the fans 20 units higher than the temperature (e.g. 40 degrees Celcius-> fans run at 60%; 70 degrees Celcius -> fans run at 90%; etc).
I just unboxed my EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming and I get the exact same temp as you during benchmarks. Sounds like it's completely normal :)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh man loving this new system. Near instant boot, games load faster than the PS5, the liquid cooling keeps temps low.

tenor.gif
say what?! I have 3080 and 3700x.
System takes 20 seconds to windows.
Games load like always. nvme is not utilized than normal ssd.
Unless nvidia and microsoft work together to make the faster io happen, ps5 will be better when it comes to load times

say what?! I have 3080 and 3700x.
System takes 20 seconds to windows.
Games load like always. nvme is not utilized than normal ssd.
Unless nvidia and microsoft work together to make the faster io happen, ps5 will be better when it comes to load times

Are you counting the mobo post on that loading ? You should put it after post, just when windows starts loading. No way its 20 seconds like that. PS5 wont be better in loading times because its theoretical max output wont be reached in a consistent manner. You'll load and play games in the exact same way on PC even after they start designing them for ssd output.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are you counting the mobo post on that loading ? You should put it after post, just when windows starts loading. No way its 20 seconds like that. PS5 wont be better in loading times because its theoretical max output wont be reached in a consistent manner. You'll load and play games in the exact same way on PC even after they start designing them for ssd output.
yes, total since button. It's up to 25s until I can move my mouse around. CSM is disabled and fast boot is enable in windows 10.
It's on x570 board... year ago this piece of shit was booting for 25 seconds PRE post and 20 for windows. thankfully uefi updates helped

ManaByte

Gold Member
yes, total since button. It's up to 25s until I can move my mouse around. CSM is disabled and fast boot is enable in windows 10.
It's on x570 board... year ago this piece of shit was booting for 25 seconds PRE post and 20 for windows. thankfully uefi updates helped

I'm running a MSI Z490-A Pro MB with a WD Black SN850. Tested side by side with Fortnite (one of the few things that has a PS5 enhanced version and a comparable PC version). The PC one loads faster now.

Sorry, but the PS5 SSD isn't some kind of mythical device that can't exist elsewhere. Comparable SSDs are now out on the market for the PC.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm running a MSI Z490-A Pro MB with a WD Black SN850. Tested side by side with Fortnite (one of the few things that has a PS5 enhanced version and a comparable PC version). The PC one loads faster now.

Sorry, but the PS5 SSD isn't some kind of mythical device that can't exist elsewhere. Comparable SSDs are now out on the market for the PC.
it's a very fast ssd... just like pcie4.0 drives on pc BUT the custom IO access makes all the difference.
Just needs some custom work like demons souls or astro bot. These games almost have no loading times. Ports do not utilize that

ManaByte

Gold Member
it's a very fast ssd... just like pcie4.0 drives on pc BUT the custom IO access makes all the difference.
Just needs some custom work like demons souls or astro bot. These games almost have no loading times. Ports do not utilize that

Astro's (I Platinumed it) has loading, it's just disguised with flashy transition animations.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Astro's (I Platinumed it) has loading, it's just disguised with flashy transition animations.
dude it's like 3 seconds and it fades in and out with a cool teleportation animation. Demons souls is like 5 seconds and a great animation.
For me, loading is sitting at a loading screen for 30 seconds.
You don't get that now on a pc. Maybe some old games load very fast now but not like that

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
For me, loading is sitting at a loading screen for 30 seconds.
You don't get that now on a pc. Maybe some old games load very fast now but not like that

I also put Cyberpunk on the SSD. It loads in about 5-7 seconds too.

Literally you see the guy on the TV and you can press space to start the game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I also put Cyberpunk on the SSD. It loads in about 5-7 seconds too.

Literally you see the guy on the TV and you can press space to start the game.
I finished it on my pc, yes. It loads fast but it somehow did not made that impression on me

kiphalfton

Finally got my computer built. Sold my old computer around the middle of December and have been using a crappy old laptop in the meantime. Also upgraded from an Acer Predator XB271HU monitor to an Alienware AW3420DW monitor.

This is living.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Toshiba X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

Pics:

qUUgWiN.png

5T2Q9dh.png

Jezbollah

I havent really tested my 3070 beyond a few of the lighter intensity games I play causally (Dota2, Gunfire Reborn, Diablo 3) and a few Heaven benchmarks - but I have to say, this fella is one cool dude. Even running Heaven at 1440p with everything cranked up after several benchmarks in a row, didnt get the temps beyond 63c. All other gaming hasnt gone beyond 57c.

Compared to it, my old Strix 1080TI was like Chernobyl Reactor 4 in comparison. This card is barely audible when Im gaming. I love it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom