• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

TaySan

Banned
Pricing error a 3090 for $850

Pre ordered the moment it was posted on Era, but there's no way in hell they are going to honor it. lol They must be flooded with thousands of orders by now.

I've been hearing over and over how much power or watts these cards need. Should this be a concern for someone afraid of high electric bills?

No. If you ran this thing 24/7 with a game peaking it at 100% you'd add MAYBE $10 a month to your bill. With normal gaming? Pennies.

It would add more than that, you're only considering the power draw of the card only.

Anyway, the big issue with 320-400W cards is not the cost necessarily but the heat and thus noise being spat out into your case and room. A 2080 and certainly 2080 Ti were bad enough as it was, they can solve the noise with an OTT cooler but the heat has to go somewhere. It's horrible gaming when all your case and CPU fans spin up because the temp in the case dramatically rises. And the effect on the ambient temp of your room makes gaming more of an issue than it should be.

Many people will find this an issue after a short while with these cards at home.

DeaDPo0L84

Pre ordered the moment it was posted on Era, but there's no way in hell they are going to honor it. lol They must be flooded with thousands of orders by now.

If it would've went out of stock at any point I would've remained hopeful. The fact that it's still up just means the morning staff on Monday is going to be extremely busy.

GHG

Gold Member
That sounds ridiculous, because they're not obligated to have their benchmark results ready by the embargo's end. They could have still released them days after the original date of the embargo's end.

They're are some reviewers who have already conducted their benchmarks and are ready to publish their results. What about them?

I guess one could say that it's not fair for some people to be able to publish their results first because they received their cards first...but, damn, I guess extending the embargo was the ethical thing to do.
Love how one can see the curve of outrage and anger into the moment you actually think about it and come to a sensible conclusion. You're in it with heart and brain, good on you :)

pawel86ck

Banned
RTX 3080 performance in Control is just insane (100fps at 4K DLSS + RTX effects). It's like 14x 1080ti 😯(single 1080ti 7fps at 4K😏).

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
It would add more than that, you're only considering the power draw of the card only.

Anyway, the big issue with 320-400W cards is not the cost necessarily but the heat and thus noise being spat out into your case and room. A 2080 and certainly 2080 Ti were bad enough as it was, they can solve the noise with an OTT cooler but the heat has to go somewhere. It's horrible gaming when all your case and CPU fans spin up because the temp in the case dramatically rises. And the effect on the ambient temp of your room makes gaming more of an issue than it should be.

Many people will find this an issue after a short while with these cards at home.

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the gaming room! LOL.

Nfactor_AF

Neo Member
Just for some fun silly math, the RTX 3090 has more then double some GPU stats then 2 x 2080ti's.

plus NVLink/SLI will never be as efficient to use 2 GPU together vs. just one.

it's pretty crazy just how powerful the 3090 is vs. 2x2080ti's while using less power and being cheaper

Example:

2080ti 2 x 2080ti's 3090
CUDA Cores: 4352 Cuda Cores: 8704 Cuda Cores: 10496
TMU: 272 TMU: 544 TMU: 328
ROP: 88 ROP: 176 ROP: 112
RT Cores: 68 RT Cores: 136 RT Cores: 82
Tensor Cores: 544 Tensor Cores: 1088 Tensor Cores: 328
Pixel Rate: 118.8 Pixel Rate: 237.6 Pixel Rate: 190.4
Texture Rate: 367.2 Texture Rate: 734.4 Texture Rate: 557.6
VRam: 11Gb VRam: 22Gb VRam: 24Gb
Bandwidth: 616Gbps Bandwidth: 936Gbps
352-Bit Bus 384-Bit Bus
13.4Tflop FP32 27Tflop FP32 36Tflop FP32
250W TDP 500W TDP 350W TDP

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Just for some fun silly math, the RTX 3090 has more then double some GPU stats then 2 x 2080ti's.

plus NVLink/SLI will never be as efficient to use 2 GPU together vs. just one.

it's pretty crazy just how powerful the 3090 is vs. 2x2080ti's while using less power and being cheaper

Example:

2080ti 2 x 2080ti's 3090
CUDA Cores: 4352 Cuda Cores: 8704 Cuda Cores: 10496
TMU: 272 TMU: 544 TMU: 328
ROP: 88 ROP: 176 ROP: 112
RT Cores: 68 RT Cores: 136 RT Cores: 82
Tensor Cores: 544 Tensor Cores: 1088 Tensor Cores: 328
Pixel Rate: 118.8 Pixel Rate: 237.6 Pixel Rate: 190.4
Texture Rate: 367.2 Texture Rate: 734.4 Texture Rate: 557.6
VRam: 11Gb VRam: 22Gb VRam: 24Gb
Bandwidth: 616Gbps Bandwidth: 936Gbps
352-Bit Bus 384-Bit Bus
13.4Tflop FP32 27Tflop FP32 36Tflop FP32
250W TDP 500W TDP 350W TDP

But in terms of real-world performance, it isn't as powerful as two 2080Ti's; however, I'm sure that the reason is that it's capped at 350 watts to 400 watts (AIB SKUs). If it had an unlimited power budget, its performance could definitely equal that of two 2080Tis.

I'm pretty sure Nvidia like to fuck with the drivers so their older cards don't perform as well as they should.

I think it's totally possible, even the 1080TI would bend the knee at 4K when trying to do raytracing without RT cores

According to Youtube it seems to be around 25fps without RT

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
I think it's totally possible, even the 1080TI would bend the knee at 4K when trying to do raytracing without RT cores

According to Youtube it seems to be around 25fps without RT

Oh that's with RT enabled?

Nevermind then. If that was for raw 4k performance then my point would absolutely stand.

Oh that's with RT enabled?

Nevermind then. If that was for raw 4k performance then my point would absolutely stand.

I don't know if they purposefully cripple old cards, but I think it's been demonstrated that when a new generation is released the drivers stop making any real difference with the old cards so one way or the other there is some sort of programmed obsolescence

Rygeist

Banned
So torn between waiting for the 3080ti and just nabbing a PS5. I want the 3080, but my 2070 Super has been good to me for 1440p. I hate making these decisions man.

Rikkori

So torn between waiting for the 3080ti and just nabbing a PS5. I want the 3080, but my 2070 Super has been good to me for 1440p. I hate making these decisions man.
Keep in mind the PS5 will hold its value better than a GPU, so hard to go wrong with one. 2070 Super ain't no slouch neither. 🏋️‍♂️

DeaDPo0L84

Is there a general idea of best places to purchase aib cards? I'm specifically looking to get the msi gaming trio x. I have the page for B&H and newegg pulled up but nobody else in the US seems to have them up.

CuNi

I honestly wonder how AIB vs FE will compare, not only in Base/OC but also cooling temp and decibels...
Hopefully they'll get to bench as close to 100% of the models on the 16th as possible.
So far I'm considering the FE, it just really really looks awesome tbh.

ZywyPL

Banned
Wonder how good the 3080 OCs, the memory OC didn't show anything good. Maybe that was just 3DMark sucking. 2080 Ti goes beast mode when you take off the PL.

Memory OC alone barely ever gives more than 1-2 extra FPS, you'll sooner see artifacts than any meaningful performance gains, that's why I personally never even bother when overclocking the GPU. It's all about the GPU core, I cannot wait to see how far the cards can go, and if OCed 3080 can match the 3090, technically it should at 2GHz, but you never know.

Rikkori

Memory OC alone barely ever gives more than 1-2 extra FPS, you'll sooner see artifacts than any meaningful performance gains, that's why I personally never even bother when overclocking the GPU. It's all about the GPU core, I cannot wait to see how far the cards can go, and if OCed 3080 can match the 3090, technically it should at 2GHz, but you never know.
Dunno, I guess I'm used to seeing bigger gains for my GPUs but that's partly down to AMD arch choices. I guess in this case GDDR6X is already near a limit in terms of tolerances perhaps and it's just error correcting with OC, or perhaps the memory bandwidth is enough. We'll see.

In other news, this is SEXY A.F. ! Makes me want to wish I went for FE.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Three days boys and girls. I wonder if I'm going to have to stay up late to order a FE from best buy or if I can snag one when I get up to get my daughter on the bus?

think I’m gonna wait the week and pick up a 3090....everything else on my pc is overkill so that gpu would probably last a good 5 years

gotta sell my 2080 ti which is a couple of months old now...what’s a good price to sell ?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Still mounting my AIO "incorrectly".

tumblr_oy66c81ld31req0yeo1_r1_640.gifv

Kanton

so when does the new ryzen come out? am i ok with buying a motherboard now or should i wait?

i am totally green when it comes to pc but i want that 3090 toy.

Rikkori

so when does the new ryzen come out? am i ok with buying a motherboard now or should i wait?

i am totally green when it comes to pc but i want that 3090 toy.
We don't know. There's an announcement about it in 2 weeks but afaik the same mobos will be used in terms of chipsets. So in theory you can buy a mobo now just fine (but will likely require a bios update - depending on the mobo this might require you to have an AMD cpu already in order to update) but why do it? Wait unless you find a killer deal. Easier to RMA stuff within the first week or two of accepting the delivery.

edit: this got leaked as well by zee Germans

Last edited:

Kanton

got it, thanks. has there been any standard when it comes to the amount of time after the announcement the new edition comes to the stores? 2-3 months or more?

Rikkori

got it, thanks. has there been any standard when it comes to the amount of time after the announcement the new edition comes to the stores? 2-3 months or more?
I'd imagine 1-2 months, but availability will be scarce probably. Demand is definitely outstripping supply. So make sure to pull the trigger if you see one in stock.

saintjules

I went to a local Best Buy earlier to return something. I spoke to one of their sales people on the floor. Seemed to have knowledge on graphics card in general.

He was telling me that they only get one shipment a week and they aren't expected to get the 3080 FE on release day, but maybe next week sometime. He doesn't expect it to sell out here, but he was telling me it's not worth the upgrade unless you're using it for VR...Has anyone heard anything like that? Thought it was funny af tbh.

This is just one of the local BBs around me. I plan to buy from them directly via online and pick it up in store if it's possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom