• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

J3nga

Lots of people trying to convince themselves that a 3090 is a good buy.
Yes and no. Depends, if just for gaming then yeah value is quite shitty if you ask me and I wouldn't understand why pay more than 100% over 3080 just to get +10% of performance. On the other hand if you're doing something other than video games where you really benefit of extra 14 VRAM and/or perhaps you make buck out of it then it makes perfect sense also if you're rich AF.

TriSuit666

Banned
Almost exactly like he said. Though to be fair, just about anyone paying attention could have made a pretty close/similar prediction. Let's not forget he also said that the 30xx series would have a "Traversal Co-processor" which was absolutely WAY off.

Oh yeah, I always filter what he says through the bullshit meter. I don’t like how he crows when he gets something right, have a listen to the latest podcast for a prime example.

CuNi

Anyone speak German?

Didn't see if anyone posted this already.
He begins with obviously saying that nothing is set in stone and he's just relaying what he's heard/rumors/experience etc.
He says RTX 3070 will be a bigger stocked launch with units even being available in store with enough demand and "somewhat of a miracle must happen for that stock be to sold out" but is not saying this won't happen.
He also says that Radeon 6800 XT performance is supposed to be somewhere between RTX 3070 and RTX 3080 with it more leaning towards RTX 3080 than the RTX 3070.
Rumors say a price could be either 549$ or 599$ but release will be in November, where RTX 3070 will launch the day after AMD conference.
Also suggests that 6800 XTs ray tracing is "not quit what people would expect in terms of performance compared to RTX" and says this could also be a reason why some people might go with NVIDIAs RTX 3070 to play CP2077 with RTX instead.

I think he didn't 100% state this but since he was showing Navi 21/22 tables, I think he assumes that the 6800 XT will be "biggest Navi".

Oh yeah, I always filter what he says through the bullshit meter. I don’t like how he crows when he gets something right, have a listen to the latest podcast for a prime example.

I don't know what it is about him, but his face makes me think this is what Minecraft would look like with photorealistic textures and lightning.. he's got a weirdly blocky head...

Last edited:

TheContact

I was about to do the math to see if two 3080s in SLI was faster than a 3090 (two 3080s is a bit cheaper), but it looks like nvidia isn't supporting SLI with ampere and probably going forward. I mean, yeah, very few people actually used SLI but it was a cool thing for enthusiasts to play with

Ulysses 31

I was about to do the math to see if two 3080s in SLI was faster than a 3090 (two 3080s is a bit cheaper), but it looks like nvidia isn't supporting SLI with ampere and probably going forward. I mean, yeah, very few people actually used SLI but it was a cool thing for enthusiasts to play with
Only 3090s can be SLId.

Even 2080TI in SLI beats a 3090 if the game has 80%+ scaling but since to few games support SLI nowadays it's mainly for games older than 5 years. I recall getting higher FPS in Metro 2033 with 2080TI SLI than I do with my 3090.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Only 3090s can be SLId.

Even 2080TI in SLI beats a 3090 if the game has 80%+ scaling but since to few games support SLI nowadays it's mainly for games older than 5 years. I recall getting higher FPS in Metro 2033 with 2080TI SLI than I do with my 3090.
Yeah, SLI has effectively been dead for years. It's just such a small use case that they put no effort into ensuring proper support leaving it to the users to duct tape solutions together. I remember to on my first SLI set-up thinking I was in for a treat and then realizing how it just doesn't work how one would thing it does and the frame pacing was always a problem.

TheContact

Only 3090s can be SLId.

Ah ok I saw conflicting reports about the 3090 using SLI, but some YT videos show it's working. Yeah SLI reminds me of multi core CPUs and how some games don't even take advantage of them

BluRayHiDef

Banned
In most games you're GPU bounded especially @4K so it makes sense that extra CPU boost has no effect whatsoever. Having that said, if you're planning to upgrade whole platform(last time you said you want 5900X, correct me if I'm wrong) then there's no rush really, unless you'll buy just ram sticks now and later on use those on your new platform if there's no compatibility issue, up to you really, but neither scenario is better or worse than the other IMO.

Depending on how my system performs when running Cyberpunk 2077, I may or may not wait until DDR5-compatible chipsets are released to upgrade my system; if I see test runs on YouTube in which the game runs better at 4K with max settings with a more recently released CPU, then I'll upgrade sooner.

Also, I just received a phone call from PNY's executive office; I called them about three or four weeks ago asking when they'll have RTX 3090s in stock and the woman with whom I spoke said that they didn't know but that I could give them my name so that she could put it on a waiting list. I was number one on that list and finally received my call back a few minutes ago; I placed my order for the XLR8 RTX 3090, received a confirmation email, and was informed that the order will ship on Monday via 2nd-day air shipping, which means that I should receive it on Tuesday or Wednesday (I'm assuming Tuesday because it's coming from a neighboring state).

DeaDPo0L84

Depending on how my system performs when running Cyberpunk 2077, I may or may not wait until DDR5-compatible chipsets are released to upgrade my system; if I see test runs on YouTube in which the game runs better at 4K with max settings with a more recently released CPU, then I'll upgrade sooner.

Also, I just received a phone call from PNY's executive office; I called them about three or four weeks ago asking when they'll have RTX 3090s in stock and the woman with whom I spoke said that they didn't know but that I could give them my name so that she could put it on a waiting list. I was number one on that list and finally received my call back a few minutes ago; I placed my order for the XLR8 RTX 3090, received a confirmation email, and was informed that the order will ship on Monday via 2nd-day air shipping, which means that I should receive it on Tuesday or Wednesday (I'm assuming Tuesday because it's coming from a neighboring state).

So what I'm hearing is you're gonna sell me your EVGA ftw3 ultra? Lol

I kid, hope the new 3090 works out for ya 👍

BluRayHiDef

Banned
So what I'm hearing is you're gonna sell me your EVGA ftw3 ultra? Lol

I kid, hope the new 3090 works out for ya 👍

My rational brain is telling me to sell my RTX 3080 FTW3 on eBay for a little less than twice what I paid for it after tax was applied ($881.88) to subsidize the cost of the PNY RTX 3090 ($1,633.11 USD). So, if I can sell it for $1600, $881.88 of that $1600 would cover the cost of the RTX 3080 FTW3 and the remaining funds ($718.12) would cover part of the cost of the PNY RTX 3090, which would result in a net expense of only $914.99 ($1633.11 - $718.12 = $914.99). However...I've grown attached to my precio..RTX 3080 FTW3.

DeaDPo0L84

My rational brain is telling me to sell my RTX 3080 FTW3 on eBay for a little less than twice what I paid for it after tax was applied ($881.88) to subsidize the cost of the PNY RTX 3090 ($1,633.11 USD). So, if I can sell it for $1600, $881.88 of that $1600 would cover the cost of the RTX 3080 FTW3 and the remaining funds ($718.12) would cover part of the cost of the PNY RTX 3090, which would result in a net expense of only $914.99 ($1633.11 - $718.12 = $914.99). However...I've grown attached to my precio..RTX 3080 FTW3.

Well that's up to you, personally I wouldn't so that cause Ebay had become a terrible place, especially for expensive items,plus scalpers suck ass tbh. I used to sell on there quite a bit. If you decide to sell it to a member here to help them out let me know, I'd love to discuss the possibility.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Well that's up to you, personally I wouldn't so that cause Ebay had become a terrible place, especially for expensive items,plus scalpers suck ass tbh. I used to sell on there quite a bit. If you decide to sell it to a member here to help them out let me know, I'd love to discuss the possibility.
I was also thinking about taking it back to Microcenter and exchanging it for store credit that I'd use to get a Ryzen 5950X.

Malakhov

Banned
Yes and no. Depends, if just for gaming then yeah value is quite shitty if you ask me and I wouldn't understand why pay more than 100% over 3080 just to get +10% of performance. On the other hand if you're doing something other than video games where you really benefit of extra 14 VRAM and/or perhaps you make buck out of it then it makes perfect sense also if you're rich AF.
Yeah obviously, if you use it for something else than gaming, which the 3090 is for then yeah absolutely worth it.

If not you can just buy a 3080 and throw away 750$ in the garbage

Malakhov

Banned
I was also thinking about taking it back to Microcenter and exchanging it for store credit that I'd use to get a Ryzen 5950X.
Do NOT sell on eBay. I was ripped of of 400$ from a transformers g1 toys sale. Even though I had proof of delivery, the buyer said he never got it and well buyer always win. Fuck ebay as a seller

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Do NOT sell on eBay. I was ripped of of 400$ from a transformers g1 toys sale. Even though I had proof of delivery, the buyer said he never got it and well buyer always win. Fuck ebay as a seller
Yea, I've been worried about that. However, I've thought about a solution: recording myself holding the item, packaging it, and handing it off to a UPS delivery person - all in one take. Do you think that would help?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Lots of people trying to convince themselves that a 3090 is a good buy.

LOL, I don't have to convince myself that the RTX 3090 is a good buy; I know that it's a poor investment, but I want it anyway. Also, I do amateur video editing via Magix Movie Studio Platinum 17, so the 24GBs of VRAM will be useful for me.

Plus I am pretty sure he said he is running a 4790k. Would be way way way better off using that extra money to overhaul his system.
No, I'm using an i7-5820K, which probably isn't much better, but I wanted to clarify that.

Having said that, because I game at 4K, a modern CPU actually wouldn't be very beneficial for me in gaming since gaming at 4K is bound by GPUs rather than CPUs; my RTX 3080 is fully saturated (at 98% to 100% usage) when gaming at 4K, which means that my i7-5820K is sufficiently supplying it with data and instructions.

For example, below are two videos of "Control" running on PCs at 4K with maximum settings via DLSS Quality Mode (1440p). The PC in the first video includes an i9-9900K and an RTX 3080, and the PC in the second video is my PC; the frame rate is in the 50s most of the time in both videos, even dropping to the very high 40s in both. The only difference is that in the first video, the player ventures through areas that are mostly very dark and lacking detail, which makes them easy to render and results in frame rates at or a little above 60 frames per second. However, in brightly lit environments, the frame rates are similar in both videos.

Control running on i9-9900K and RTX 3080:

Control running on i7-5820K and RTX 3080:

Last edited:

evanft

Here is where I am getting that from. Screen I sent to one of my buddies on Aug 29. “OK Availability” for the 3080.
lg5NGAE.jpg

Source: Trust me, bro.

Malakhov

Banned
Yea, I've been worried about that. However, I've thought about a solution: recording myself holding the item, packaging it, and handing it off to a UPS delivery person - all in one take. Do you think that would help?
Wouldnt of helped in my case, I had tracking and a proof of delivery and ebay still went with the buyer claiming he didnt receive it. Also, he could claim it was damaged or not the right card etc.. Dont take a chance, im sure you can get more than ebay locally as well and with no fees. A lot of them have been selling on facebook marketplace here.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Another week of no EVGA 3080 from amazon de .

what an absolute wank launch fuck nvidia 🤣
Ordered the card more then 1 month ago.

why the fuck do you want to launch your product like this? 🤣

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Wouldnt of helped in my case, I had tracking and a proof of delivery and ebay still went with the buyer claiming he didnt receive it. Also, he could claim it was damaged or not the right card etc.. Dont take a chance, im sure you can get more than ebay locally as well and with no fees. A lot of them have been selling on facebook marketplace here.

How do scalpers avoid this problem? How common is this problem; I've sold items on eBay before and have never had an issue (though I've never sold anything as expensive as a graphics card).

Malakhov

Banned
How do scalpers avoid this problem? How common is this problem; I've sold items on eBay before and have never had an issue (though I've never sold anything as expensive as a graphics card).
It doesnt happen often, in all of my transactions it happened once but that one time was enough for me to boycott ebay as a seller. You should really look into selling it locally or through paypal goods and services for a small fee. Paypal is very fair, moreso than ebay, for both parties.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It doesnt happen often, in all of my transactions it happened once but that one time was enough for me to boycott ebay as a seller. You should really look into selling it locally or through paypal goods and services for a small fee. Paypal is very fair, moreso than ebay, for both parties.

I think I should just avoid the hassle by returning the card to Micro Center via their 30-day return policy.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I have a question. Due to the EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 having three power-pin connector ports and a maximum TDP of 450 watts via EVGA's latest XOC BIOS, is it faster than an RTX 3090 SKU that has only two power-pin connector ports and a maximum TDP that's less than 400 watts, such as Palit's/ Gainward's/ PNY's RTX 3090, which has a maximum TDP of 365 watts?

Same exact thing happened to me. Essentially, the buyer got my card and I got nothing. Never used ebay again after that. As seller or buyer.

Malakhov

Banned
I think I should just avoid the hassle by returning the card to Micro Center via their 30-day return policy.
Don't see why you wouldn't sell it to someone through PayPal. I'm sure a lot of people here would gladly buy it off of you.

Just make sure to use the goods and services and ask for that small fee, I think it is 3 or 4%. Protects you and buyer

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Don't see why you wouldn't sell it to someone through PayPal. I'm sure a lot of people here would gladly buy it off of you.

Just make sure to use the goods and services and ask for that small fee, I think it is 3 or 4%. Protects you and buyer

I did offer 🤷‍♂️ . I actually have a 3090fe but keep going back and forth between swapping it for a 3080, who knows what the hell I decide to do.

Another week of no EVGA 3080 from amazon de .

what an absolute wank launch fuck nvidia 🤣
Ordered the card more then 1 month ago.

why the fuck do you want to launch your product like this? 🤣

Well, I placed my order for a FTW3 Ultra from Amazon.co.uk since release day, and still it is stuck at the “Delivery date pending” status message, actually it’s been a month since I placed my order and while Amazon has already charged my the order I still don’t know if/when will I receive it.

No, I'm using an i7-5820K, which probably isn't much better, but I wanted to clarify that.

Having said that, because I game at 4K, a modern CPU actually wouldn't be very beneficial for me in gaming since gaming at 4K is bound by GPUs rather than CPUs; my RTX 3080 is fully saturated (at 98% to 100% usage) when gaming at 4K, which means that my i7-5820K is sufficiently supplying it with data and instructions.

For example, below are two videos of "Control" running on PCs at 4K with maximum settings via DLSS Quality Mode (1440p). The PC in the first video includes an i9-9900K and an RTX 3080, and the PC in the second video is my PC; the frame rate is in the 50s most of the time in both videos, even dropping to the very high 40s in both. The only difference is that in the first video, the player ventures through areas that are mostly very dark and lacking detail, which makes them easy to render and results in frame rates at or a little above 60 frames per second. However, in brightly lit environments, the frame rates are similar in both videos.

neah, a modern cpu would most definitely benefit you. At 4k. You're gonna have smoother frametimes and higher minimum framerates, fewer spikes and stutters. The cpu you're using is too ancient. I noticed a substantial improvement in these aspect going from a 8400, which is a modern, strong 6 core cpu. It just wasnt enough. At 4k or otherwise. The framerate was high, but quickly turning in Horizon for example meant a small stutter. An enemy attacking was a small sttuter. Every time when you will reach a section of a game that leans more on the cpu you're gonna notice. The 3080 needs proper cpu power.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
neah, a modern cpu would most definitely benefit you. At 4k. You're gonna have smoother frametimes and higher minimum framerates, fewer spikes and stutters. The cpu you're using is too ancient. I noticed a substantial improvement in these aspect going from a 8400, which is a modern, strong 6 core cpu. It just wasnt enough. At 4k or otherwise. The framerate was high, but quickly turning in Horizon for example meant a small stutter. An enemy attacking was a small sttuter. Every time when you will reach a section of a game that leans more on the cpu you're gonna notice. The 3080 needs proper cpu power.
Did you notice any stutters or other issues in my video?

Did you notice any stutters or other issues in my video?

It depends on the game. Control is perhaps very low on cpu. Im telling you how things are from my own testing with my 3080 and 2 cpu's. An 8400 cant serve it at max, be it 4k or otherwise. Switched it with a 9900 and that made things more fluid. If you run Horizon, or Watch Dogs or Assassins Creed or Metro or a lot of other games i have no doubt you'll skip frames no mather the resolution.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It depends on the game. Control is perhaps very low on cpu. Im telling you how things are from my own testing with my 3080 and 2 cpu's. An 8400 cant serve it at max, be it 4k or otherwise. Switched it with a 9900 and that made things more fluid. If you run Horizon, or Watch Dogs or Assassins Creed or Metro or a lot of other games i have no doubt you'll skip frames no mather the resolution.

We'll see. If that happens, then I'll upgrade immediately.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My 3080 FE arrived yesterday. Wow. It’s like holding some precious, rare artifact. Haven’t yet tried it but I hope to soon.

Malakhov

Banned
I did offer 🤷‍♂️ . I actually have a 3090fe but keep going back and forth between swapping it for a 3080, who knows what the hell I decide to do.
Get a 3080 and use the rest for latter upgrades
Here's an interesting video and why the r5 3600 is king value wise

R5 3600 + rtx 3080
Vs
Intel 10900k + rtx 3080

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
SLI is dead and not even worth discussing.

If nvidia were to revive it, it needs to be done at the OS level and not a game by game basis.

baphomet

Restricted delivery with signature confirmation. Obviously with insurance as well.

People shipping crazy expensive shit to randoms with no services are literally just asking to be scammed.

They have to verify the ID of the person signing is the same as the person it's addressed to before it can be delivered.

Top Bottom