• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

mr.dilya

Banned
I couldnt really get above 90fps with my 1080 at only high settings ... so, no.

that’s a 4 year old card man I’d say that’s pretty good. Doom optimization is godly, if every dev put in the work they do people wouldn’t have to upgrade their gpus every 2 years.

FireFly

The reason that Ampere beats Big Navi in 4K is because AMD doesn't have access to GDDR6X and they've finally given up on HBM. They simply don't have enough memory bandwidth and even with Not That Infinite Cache there's not a lot you can do. You either have enough bandwidth or you don't. The cache design of Big Navi is enough for 1440p which is why it's able to edge out Ampere there, but they ran into unknown limitations of die size or yields which prevented them from making the cache large enough for 4K.
The 6800 has the same amount of available bandwidth as the 6800 XT, and the same size of InfinityCache, yet has 22% less compute power. So given its higher ratio of bandwidth to compute, if your theory is correct, we should expect to see a correspondingly smaller performance drop when moving to 4K. In fact, if we look at the aggregate framerates, performance falls by 41% on both the 6800 XT and 6800, when moving to 4K.

Ok, but maybe there is still some AMD specific weakness at play here. So lets compare to the 2080 Ti. Well, guess what, it also loses 41% of its performance! The 3070 drops by 42%. Looking at minimum frame times, the 6800 XT does better still, dropping 36% compared to 39% on the 2080 Ti and 3070. So the 6800 XT has a "normal" dropoff at 4K. It doesn't fall off a cliff, as you might suspect when comparing with the 3080. Rather, the 3080 has a surprisingly low 36% dropoff, which allows it to claw back the performance lead.

This might because it has extra available bandwidth, but it might also be because its huge compute advantage is better leveraged at 4K. If you remember, the 3080's comparatively poorer 1440p results were already a subject for discussion, long before the new AMD cards launched. So I think explaining the 3080's great 4K performance in terms of AMD's InfinityCache is to get things completely the wrong way around.

And on the subject of what was available to AMD, we should note that AMD could easily have equalled the 3080's bandwidth by using a 384-bit bus with the same 16 Gbps memory modules they're already shipping on the 6800s! So it was clearly a choice to go with a cache, not a necessity.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

If I could freakin find a RTX3090 that's not scalped that would be great...

Are you in the US. Check out zotac's website during the week (Monday thru Friday), on a daily basis, as stock is usually posted for 3070/3080/3090 at or around 6:30PM PST. Zotac only accepts paypal, so create a account on zotac, log into paypal, and have this stream playing in the background

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just finished Control. Is this game the most graphically intense PC game out there (currently available, not 2077)? It's my first experience with ray tracing, as I came from a 1070. It was cool to look at but the game was average.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I just finished Control. Is this game the most graphically intense PC game out there (currently available, not 2077)? It's my first experience with ray tracing, as I came from a 1070. It was cool to look at but the game was average.
Control is the most fun and graphically impressive game that I played in years.

Rickyiez

Watchdogs Legion is more demanding . I kept saying that it's very unoptimized and DLSS is kinda broken , but the more I played it , the more I can see why it's so taxing though . The draw distance and the scope of the world is much bigger than Control .

Last edited:
In Taiwan you can pretty much walk into the store and buy almost any 30XX card at will. I'm sure it's no coincidence that this influx of stock happens to coincide with the launch of the 6800XT.

AMD 6800 XT are all sold out and the ones that are available are only available if you are buying a whole new PC to go along with it.

My friend just bought a 3080 today. He was leaning more towards a 6800XT but with Cyberpunk so close he couldn't chance it. I told him that Cyberpunk will be best on a 3080 anyway with raytracing and DLSS fully supported. He's one happy camper right now.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Watchdogs Legion is more demanding . I kept saying that it's very unoptimized and DLSS is kinda broken , but the more I played it , the more I can see why it's so taxing though . The draw distance and the scope of the world is much bigger than Control .
Doesn't have motion vectors in this one so the DLSS is just there for marketing, plus their temporal filtering is decent already. Tbh WD:L ran well for me when I finished it on an rx480 on a mix of med/high settings + ultra txts & geo & SSR. Going back to it now with a new gpu I can max it at 4K but the thing is that's just gonna kill the cpu/memory and while driving there's no chance of keeping that 60. Imo true smoothness for this game at max settings will not come until DDR5 takes off because the game scales insanely well with mem OC & tight timings. Until then gotta keep extra details at 0%, shadows near high, environment high - especially if you enable RT too as that is going to hit the cpu hard as well.

Rbk_3

If I could freakin find a RTX3090 that's not scalped that would be great...

I could of grabbed at least 5 3090s by now in Canada online. I have seen a FTW3 available for like an hour and a TUF for at least half an hour. 3080 I only had one chance online and I got it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
At this point it looks like RTX 3070s wont be available anytime soon.
Might have to make a plan and just keep an eye on ebay for an RTX 2080Ti at a kind price.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Don’t do it.

Its either that or wait till what mid 2021?

Ive see 3070s going for ~700 pounds....and 2080Tis going for ~600 pounds....some clever bidding and I should be able to bag a 2080Ti for cheaper than I could currently get a 3070?

Whats the problem.
Unless this is a trick and you want to bag the 2080Ti by making me wait for 3070s to come back in stock just in time for the 4070s to show up.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Its either that or wait till what mid 2021?

Ive see 3070s going for ~700 pounds....and 2080Tis going for ~600 pounds....some clever bidding and I should be able to bag a 2080Ti for cheaper than I could currently get a 3070?

Whats the problem.
Unless this is a trick and you want to bag the 2080Ti by making me wait for 3070s to come back in stock just in time for the 4070s to show up.
I think you are looking at probably February time-frame at the latest as far as not fighting for availability. I don't have a card either and I don't expect to wait too much longer. Don't rush out and then regret it later. There are some exciting games on the horizon for sure, but they'll be even better playing if something comes out before you get your card.

Patrick S.

Banned
Even for a 6700k your graphics score should be way higher, pushing 17000. Here are all the 3080/6700k results

Set Windows Power Mode to High Performance.
Disable Intel Speed Shift in your bios if that's an option. Possibly update your Bios.
Make sure that all gsync/vsync is off
Nvidia control panel make sure you are set to high performance.
Reinstall drivers after using DDU to uninstall the old ones.
Make sure all unnecessary background applications are closed.
Make sure XMP is enabled

My 2080S had almost the same graphics score as you

I reinstalled Windows, because it was giving me some trouble anyway. Then it dawned on me that during all the benchmarks I had run, I had a 60 FPS cap set in Riva Tuner, which I had activated for a game that works better that way haha

Now that looks more like it:
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/53486182?

xsBR4yh.png

As comparison, this is the EVGA 3080 FTW3 my colleague managed to buy:

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/15519630

qqbBF0G.png

Lower graphics score than my Zotac, but overall better score because of the CPU.

I must say, I'm impressed with this Zotac card :)

pr0cs

I could of grabbed at least 5 3090s by now in Canada online. I have seen a FTW3 available for like an hour and a TUF for at least half an hour. 3080 I only had one chance online and I got it.
Where? Memex and CC haven't had stock in eons

How hot are you guys' Founders Editions running?

Under full load mine 3080 tends to plateau at 78deg. Seems kinda high lol.

It's in a H710i chassis with 3 front fans, 1 rear fan, 2top fans in a CPU radiator (3600x cpu is kraken cooled).

regawdless

Banned

It's in a H710i chassis with 3 front fans, 1 rear fan, 2top fans in a CPU radiator (3600x cpu is kraken cooled).

I have a 3080 Gainward Phoenix GS. Usually peaks at 69C, but I have a case with two intake fans in the front, one at the side directly blowing at the GPU and one blowing from the bottom. One fan in the back and two at the top to blow air out if the case.

In rare circumstances, when my room it very warm, it goes up to 71C, haven't seen it any higher.

But your 78C are fine, no need to worry. I think it starts throttling at 83C.

Edit: you can also change your fan profile if you want more cooling performance.

Last edited:

benno

check your fan speed with afterburner or similar. If your fans are going 100% then you need to sort something out, if they're going less than 100% then the manufacturer thought it was perfectly fine and to not put 100% fans on.

mitchman

Gold Member

That chassis is severely airflow restricted with no open front for air to be sucked in, so don't expect good thermal performance from anything inside it.

Rbk_3

I reinstalled Windows, because it was giving me some trouble anyway. Then it dawned on me that during all the benchmarks I had run, I had a 60 FPS cap set in Riva Tuner, which I had activated for a game that works better that way haha

Now that looks more like it:
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/53486182?

xsBR4yh.png

As comparison, this is the EVGA 3080 FTW3 my colleague managed to buy:

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/15519630

qqbBF0G.png

Lower graphics score than my Zotac, but overall better score because of the CPU.

I must say, I'm impressed with this Zotac card :)

I have a TUF and a Trio and the base graphics scores were about the same as yours.

This is the max OC score I was able to get on the TUF.

Madflavor

Should I expect more 3070s and 3080s to drop by Black Friday? I'm hoping to upgrade my computer before Cyberpunk drops, I'm running an RTX 2060.

Also I have an i5-8400. Do you think I have to upgrade my CPU if I upgrade my GPU to a 3070 or 3080, or will I be fine?

I have a 3080 Gainward Phoenix GS. Usually peaks at 69C, but I have a case with two intake fans in the front, one at the side directly blowing at the GPU and one blowing from the bottom. One fan in the back and two at the top to blow air out if the case.

In rare circumstances, when my room it very warm, it goes up to 71C, haven't seen it any higher.

But your 78C are fine, no need to worry. I think it starts throttling at 83C.

Edit: you can also change your fan profile if you want more cooling performance.

Alright, my room is a bit warm in that area where the PC is, fairly close to a wintertime radiator..

I just checked Gamers Nexus review and it seems thermal target of 75C ish is normal.

evanft

Mine tops out at around 72 C max, though that can vary by game. Many are below that. I've also undervolted it to about 0.925mV and my boost appears to hit around 1920 MHz. Fan speed at 72 C is 55%. That seems to be a good balance of sound/performance.

Make sure you've got a good path of air below the card. I'd also maybe remove the topmost intake fan if it's pointing right at the top fan of the card since it may make it difficult for that fan to pull air out of the heatsink.

Ascend

Rumors are saying that nVidia has some stock in place to release just at the time that the 6800 series AIB embargo lifts. Your best chance to get a 3000 series card is in about one and a half hours from the time of posting.

Mine tops out at around 72 C max, though that can vary by game. Many are below that. I've also undervolted it to about 0.925mV and my boost appears to hit around 1920 MHz. Fan speed at 72 C is 55%. That seems to be a good balance of sound/performance.

Make sure you've got a good path of air below the card. I'd also maybe remove the topmost intake fan if it's pointing right at the top fan of the card since it may make it difficult for that fan to pull air out of the heatsink.

Ok, how much is 55% in fan speed?

mitchman

Gold Member

Try removing the front cover to allow some airflow for the front fans, should improve it.

Top Bottom