• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia taps the GTX 1050 Ti and the RTX 2060 to battle graphics card shortages

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The rumors are true: Nvidia is supplementing the sky-high demand for GeForce RTX 30-series graphics cards by releasing stock of older GPUs to board partners, who can then use those to craft new hardware. It’s a smart solution for the frustrating graphics card market we’re currently mired in.

“There have been a lot of rumors recently about Nvidia releasing more GPUs to AIBs from older generations—the [GeForce] RTX 2060 and GTX 1050 Ti were specifically mentioned,” I asked an Nvidia spokesperson via email. “Can you comment on whether there’s any truth to that?”

“The products referenced below were never EOLed [end-of-lifed—ed]. So ‘reviving’ seems like the wrong terminology to use here,” Nvidia told me, referencing the use of the word “reviving” in my subject line. “More of an ebb and flow really. We’re just meeting market demand which remains extremely high as you noted.”

The 2060 I can understand, that's a decently powerful card that will probably run most games just fine for the foreseeable future. The 1050 ti though? I'm using one myself and it's really showing its age. It's just not future proof, and if all you want to do is play Minecraft and MOBAs, you're better off getting a CPU with integrated graphics.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Damn I bought one for 5k CZK in 2017 and now they are selling these for 5.5k bazar? Damn, on it...

:troll_face:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
My card the 2060 Super is selling new for $800 on ebay right now 🤡 Crazy times

Last edited:

BigBooper

Some 980ti are selling for $300. Got me thinking about it. Might take years for the chip shortage to balance though.

NinjaMouse

Gold Member
I had a 2060 I paid $350 for 2 years ago and sold on eBay for for $430 2 months ago. The current market makes zero sense to me right now.

Yeah i'm in disbelief at the 1050ti thing. Granted it beats the pants off current integrated but man... Maybe for 100 bucks and you're desperate, and it's the 4gb model

If you have a good cpu you can play witcher 3 at low/med settings with ultra textures, 1080p60 on the 4gb

IBH.gif

raduque

Glad I got my 2060 Super when I did. The mark ups for graphics cards now are basically new PC money.
The whole PC's have been marked up too. A PC with a Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram, GTX 1660 Super, 1tb hdd/512gb SSD are around a thousand bucks now.

The whole PC's have been marked up too. A PC with a Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram, GTX 1660 Super, 1tb hdd/512gb SSD are around a thousand bucks now.
Find sale prices? There was a $1200 alienware prebuilt with a 3700x and a 3070 the other day. Was in stock for a few. The dell version, with a 3060ti and a 10700 wasn't as smoking of a deal but was in stock for much longer comparatively. You can part it out if you absolutely hate it but for people looking to buy a complete unit, there have been much, much better options recently.

Dont understand why there such low stock of new gpus, or is it just bitcoin mining that is taking all the new cards, is there no way, nivida and amd cant disable mining on gpus, well im done with pc gaming, not gonna pay these crazy prices,

mhirano

Just snatched a 3070.
It was ridiculously expensive here but actually cheaper than in the US right now ($1100, when in the US it seems to be found by $1200+).

Md Ray

My GTX 970 crapped itself and downclocks its core clock so low (500-600 MHz) while gaming that it practically became equivalent to 1050 Ti...

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The whole thing is at silly levels. Pc gaming is effectively dead right for new potential owners, all the local pc parts stores have zero stock on all cards.

Fredrik

The whole thing is at silly levels. Pc gaming is effectively dead right for new potential owners, all the local pc parts stores have zero stock on all cards.
Yep the whole industry is broken right now, everything is either out of stock or ridiculously overpriced.

Md Ray

Temps? You can always try to clean cooling/reApply thermal paste.
60-65 C max. This started happening after freshly applying thermal paste.

Looking at GPU-Z stats, my card used to limited by "Vrel" when it used to run at 1300-1400 MHz, but now it's limited by "pwr". Something on the VRM side is probably busted.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah. Months ago I got a RTX 2060 ‘cause I couldn’t get any other cards. It’s surprisingly good but will upgrade when RTX 3060ti’s become available.

horkrux

I should sell my 2070S for the price I got it for and retreat to the comforts of my PS5 until sanity returns to the lands.

raduque

Find sale prices? There was a $1200 alienware prebuilt with a 3700x and a 3070 the other day. Was in stock for a few. The dell version, with a 3060ti and a 10700 wasn't as smoking of a deal but was in stock for much longer comparatively. You can part it out if you absolutely hate it but for people looking to buy a complete unit, there have been much, much better options recently.
Wish it was that easy though.

Wish it was that easy though.
The Dell was in stock for quite a while, at least half an hour. Possibly hours, I don't know. I wasnt shopping for one but my suspicion is that most of the posters here aren't either. They'd rather just go with the heard mentality and complain online about GPU shortages instead of actually try to secure one (or a prebuilt with one which really isn't that hard).

lukilladog

Nvidia has become such a bunch of clowns, no compromise with the people who made them who they are now (the gamers).

Top Bottom