• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NWR: Skylanders Imaginators is not so hot on Wii U

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/43537/skylanders-imaginators-wii-u-review

Skylanders Imaginators does a fine job of bringing about a novel new concept to the series with the addition of a robust character creator, but it looks muddy and runs poorly on Wii U. Imaginators is the first Skylanders game to ever truly disappoint me.

A bulk of the issues are technical ones - load times are abundant, graphical hitches occur often - but even the structure of the adventure seems like a step down from last year’s superb SuperChargers. The adventure seems more staid and routine than the more epic and dynamic proceedings in last year’s entry. Delightfully goofy stuff still happens, as for example, you totally fight a giant guacamole monster, but overall, the experience is far more guided than the more organic flow of some past games.

From their review of the game.

DK and Bowser are playable (no screens or footage yet though), as is the Crash content (it's getting a standalone release soon after). Neal seems to think that even with the Wii U version's faults aside, it's not as good as SuperChargers last year. Though he loved the creation-aspect of the game.

Hopefully we do get an NX version at launch, unless that's too late and they'll just start with next year's game instead. It's funny as the original Skylanders got a Japan-only very late Wii U port back in 2013.

11 year old tech trying to run a modern game. I'm not surprised.

dHsw0sa.jpg

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Yikes, I guess I'm glad I jumped into Skylanders with last year's game and didn't wait for this one. I always had a suspicion that this game might be an afterthought on Wii U, given how it was presented and marketed compared to how they handled SuperChargers in 2015, but I didn't think it would seemingly be a regression.

Interestingly, I see that there is no Wii or 3DS version this year. I wonder how the PS3 and 360 versions fare.

Let's hope the future of Skylanders and Nintendo is brighter than the present.

MAtgS

Ugh, I was counting on the Wii U version so I could keep using the amiibos. That's sorta the long term repercussion of those 2: not just committing to a particular console for one iteration but for all future sequels as well.

PSqueak

Banned
Dammit, i was really hoping it would be good because i liked the idea of Crash and Cortex teaming up with DK and Bowser.

The game itself sounds lackluster in their review. The story is only 10 levels long (they call it "brisk") and there are 10 additional levels locked behind having one of each sensei toy type? Add that to the creation crystal not being rewritable once you choose a type, and my interest in this game is at a low point other than Crash and Cortex.

Lan_97

Honestly, superchargers wasn't great on WiiU either. I grabbed the WiiU version for the figures, but ended up waiting to get a standalone ps4 copy to actually play the game.

That said, this is the first Skylanders game I'll be skipping out on, primarily due to the anti-consumer setup of unreset-able crystals and single use physical 'booster packs'.

Top Bottom