• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NWR: Wii U's Compared to GameCube, Wii (Spoiler: It's ugly)

WiiU isn't comparable to the Virtual Boy at all. They had the N64 coming and the SNES was still alive. The Wii is dead and Nintendo doesn't have a system coming out in the near-term. Unless they intend to bow out of the market, they have to have something out there.

If you want to consider the VB more of a portable, there is still the fact the Gameboy never had a meaningful competitor and was still doing okay during those years. Another incomparable situation.

Just take a look at the STARK comparison between Virtual Boy and Wii U sales in the USA:

You can add this to the OP if you like. Here is a more nuanced comparison between Nintendo systems (all NPD data):

Launch Period:

Virtual Boy (August 1995 - December 1995)
0.15 million

Nintendo 64 (September 1996 - December 1996)
1.97 million

GameCube (November 2001 - December 2001)
1.24 million

Wii (November 2006 - December 2006)
1.08 million (MASSIVE shortages)

Wii U (November 2012 - December 2012)
0.88 million

2nd Year on the Market:

Virtual Boy (January 1996 - December 1996)
0.05 million (it sold much more in 1997)

Nintendo 64 (January 1997 - December 1997)
4.49 million

GameCube (January 2002 - December 2002)
2.26 million

Wii (January 2007 - December 2007)
6.29 million

Wii U (January 2013 - December 2013)
1.21 million

3rd Year on the Market (1st three months)

Nintendo 64 (January 1998 - March 1998)
0.53 million

GameCube (January 2003 - March 2003)
0.41 million

Wii (January 2008 - March 2008)
1.43 million

Wii U (January 2014 - March 2014)
0.20 million

Enjoy.

And another tidbit:

Final NPD sales for Virtual Boy: 0.50 million
Current LTD for Wii U: 2.30 million

It's clear that the Virtual Boy was dead on arrival, and there is a distinct difference between how hard Nintendo pushed Virtual Boy...and how hard they're pushing the Wii U.

The reason they discontinued the Virtual Boy so quickly is because it just wasn't taking off...and they had the N64 about to release. They had a decent rental program partnership, but the poor design of the console meant that the rentals weren't translating into sales.

It seems like Virtual Boy was more of an ill-fated experiment that Yamauchi quickly shut down once it became clear that the console didn't have much interest.

But they don't have something to instantly replace Wii U. There may be another handheld coming in 2016, but Nintendo expected much more out of Wii U longevity-wise.

Kriken

Those are some ugly numbers :/ while I do think 15-20 million LTD is obtainable, I hope Nintendo learns some sort of lesson out of this

Converse

Banned
At this point, I am used to liking things that apparently don't appeal to the majority. Funny enough, I've bought more games for my Wii U during the first 1.5 years of its life than I have for any other console in that period of time. "No games" my ass.

nron10

Neo Member
Hey all. I'm the dude who wrote this article. Entirely our fault on having the 2004 GameCube numbers (14.5 million) instead of the 2003 (9.5 million). Thanks for being one of the many who pointed it out. It was a stupid, dumb mistake.

However, it doesn't change the way I see things or how badly the Wii U is doing compared to the GameCube that much.

Popnbake

Wouldn't it be better to spend a massive $50,000,000 marketing the Wii U at its current price?

.....than cutting $50 off the price and losing $50,000,000 when you sell another million consoles?

I think a $50,000,000 marketing budget for Mario Kart 8 and Wii U would sell far more consoles to consumers than a $50 price cut would. In ideal world both would be nice...but marketing would have a much bigger impact.

$299 to $249 or even $149 won't do squat without the marketing to back it up.

That depends on whether or not the consumer market is already aware of the Wii U and just doesn't find it to be an appealing product.

I can see that being true at first with the initial confusion around the Wii U but after Mario 3D World not gaining traction for sale increase numbers, throwing that $50,000,000 towards more advertisements does not seem like a better alternative compared to making the console price more appealing to consumers.

But perhaps Mario Kart 8 can make a difference.

Its a shame because its some of their strongest software lineup ever. Proof that quality doesn't really matter in today's market.

What? What software?

I say this as an avid fan of every Nintendo console outside of VB. Fuck, its the only reason I don't own one. The first Nintendo console in my life I have yet to get Day One.

It's 18 months old and there isn't even a real first party online game.

The software lineup is deplorable, insulting and the biggest problem the console suffers from. I'll be buying mine when Kart comes out, but I honestly had to debate it since it will likely be another 6 months or more until I have another game new game to play.

It's shocking really.

Jeez. I knew it was doing bad, but not that bad. When you're not even at half of GC level sales, you know you're in trouble. I can't fathom how Nintendo will keep supporting this console past 2015 at the absolute latest.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If we get Kart, Smash, Bayonetta 2, X, SMTxFE, Yarn Yoshi, and the newly announced Fatal Frame.

Then they can kill it and I'll still be fine with it, I'm already happy with my purchase right now anyways.

That's kind of how I look at it, honestly. I think they're going to try and keep this thing going for a few more years, but let's just say they cut it off after releasing the games that have been announced. Assuming those games turn out, the system would've had a pretty phenomenal run in terms of quality software.

Well, if you're into Japanese games.

Mory Dunz

Its a shame because its some of their strongest software lineup ever. Proof that quality doesn't really matter in today's market.
It does. But other stuff matters as well.

If you're a Wii U owner like me, it's best to just be resigned to the sales.
Theories about turnarounds or an uptick in numbers will just make you disappointed.

It won't sell well. It won't catch up or beat the Xbox or anything.

Look forward to the games coming out, and have some fun. I definitely will.

Agreed, lots was going for the gamecube too bad MS had to screw it all up buying Rareware

Irrc, Rare's wanted to develop for other platforms, and in an attempt to do so they instigated a bidding war between Microsoft and Nintendo. Nintendo actually walked away with around three hundred million at the cost of a developer that didn't want to develop for them anymore. I'm just going off of memory.

No new game experiences. Sequels are heavily iterative. Half the first year line-up was made up of mini-games for an audience that is long gone. Still not up-to-date with online multiplayer and online standards. Potentially intimidating controller that resulted in a forced price hike, yet is central to the OS. Two disastrous reveals at E3.

Really, the list could go on and on. I just hope that once 3DS and Wii U are gone that Nintendo consolidates behind a single software platform and finally allows themselves to get creative again.

--

This isn't even close to being true.

Jamix012

Look at Aquamarines numbers. They only sold 1.2 million last year. They might not make it to a million this year. It could take 4 years to sell anther 3 million at this rate. This console will not be on the market for four more years. Not a snowballs chance in hell.

EDIT: thats NPD data. Still, I don't see 4 million more units in 2 years.

I don't think so. There is like a tiny sliver of a chance that the Wii U won't be up year on year this year, following Smash and MK. The Wii U needs like 6 million more to reach 12 million, and I'd put a small amount of money saying it'll reach 3 million worldwide this year and I'd argue it'll probably push a bit further than that. Possibly to 4 million.

Not like it matters all that much. 4 million is still dreadful WW.

I have owned a launch Gamecube and a launch Wii U.

Definitely Gamecube had more momentum when it was released and had some compelling games. Also I didn't consider it too underpowered compared to its competitors.

irishcow

If we get Kart, Smash, Bayonetta 2, X, SMTxFE, Yarn Yoshi, and the newly announced Fatal Frame.

Then they can kill it and I'll still be fine with it, I'm already happy with my purchase right now anyways.

I would be pissed if this happened. Has any console ever been released with only 20 or so games? That is ridiculous.

What? What software?

I say this as an avid fan of every Nintendo console outside of VB. Fuck, its the only reason I don't own one. The first Nintendo console in my life I have yet to get Day One.

The software lineup is deplorable, insulting and the biggest problem the console suffers from. I'll be buying mine when Kart comes out, but I honestly had to debate it since it will likely be another 6 months or more until I have another game new game to play.

It's shocking really.

If you love Nintendo so much you know online has never been the reason to own their systems, there's Monster Hunter 3U which is amazing anyways.

I bought a Wii U half a year ago with Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3U, Wonderful 101, and Mario 3D World. I've dumped hundreds of hours on these games and the quality of them is out of this world. I haven't even played Zombi U and Rayman Legends which supposedly are also really good(some even say they are the best Wii U games), there's also Donkey Kong and Mario/Luigi U if you want more 2D platformers.

And that's just the games that already came out, the games that will come out this and next year have me really excited.

The software is there, it just doesn't resonate with the mainstream market.

Irrc, Rare's wanted to develop for other platforms, and in an attempt to do so they instigated a bidding war between Microsoft and Nintendo. Nintendo actually walked away with around three hundred million at the cost of a developer that didn't want to develop for them anymore. I'm just going off of memory.

Close. The stampers wanted to sell of their shares and many people intended to leave the company anyways. They basically said "If you want our games, buy our shares or fuck yourself!" Nintendo then had the choice to get the shell of a company or sell their own shares to Microsoft and make a profit out of this mess.

It's a problem, certainly, but they're hardly prioritising it to the detriment of online play. When the get the hang of it with Mario Kart and Smash I'm sure we'll see much more online play in Nintendo games.

The problem that people have is that they've released games that would work with online multiplayer. Several games in Nintendo Land were perfectly suited for online multiplayer. Battle Quest, Metroid Blast and Pikmin Adventures are obvious choices. And the replay value would've been helped a lot by simply having leaderboards. There's also Pikmin 3. Nintendo claimed that it didn't have online multiplayer because there are too many units to control. Which makes no sense whatsoever when you take into account that there are PC game where your'e controlling thousands of units.

steveovig

The Wii was motion controls incorporated into seven or eight-year-old tech (at the time).

Yea but that gimmick was very practical. My grandma can understand the concept behind swinging the remote to hit a tennis ball. The Wii-U has that outdated tech mixed with a crappy tablet that has very limited range. It's not very practical or novel when compared with all the other tablets out there that do more things and have better touch screens.

Close. The stampers wanted to sell of their shares and many people intended to leave the company anyways. They basically said "If you want our games, buy our shares or fuck yourself!" Nintendo then had the choice to get the shell of a company or sell their own shares to Microsoft and make a profit out of this mess.

While they may have lost out on a lot of talent, they had a treasure trove (cove) of IP--some of which were more mature, that Nintendo could have definitely used throughout the years,

I would be pissed if this happened. Has any console ever been released with only 20 or so games? That is ridiculous.

I wouldn't be pissed at all, by the end of it's life the console will have at least 15 games that I consider great, I don't need more. If Nintendo announces more(which I expect) then I'll be even happier, I do understand it sucking if it's your only console.

Seriously how do people have that much time for games? Maybe it's because I own every console(except MS ones) but there's too many good games to play these days.

McLovin

We cant say its over until Mario kart. If it doesn't move systems then its time for them to cut their loses. I think they'll pull through.

We cant say its over until Mario kart. If it doesn't move systems then its time for them to cut their loses. I think they'll pull through.

Mario Kart is really the last chance it has, particularly as Smash is now coming first to 3DS. I'm not saying Smash won't help, but if Mario Kart doesn't, then it's really game over.

3D0, Jag, some hyper obscure handhelds like Game.com, N-Gage, Gizmondo...nothing major though.

It's really hard to understate how much of a flop WiiU really is. There's not a lot that's really on it's level. had early sales not been coasting on Wii brand recognition, it would be a contender for "worst of all time." the sales it had are hilariously frontloaded.

Iacobellis

I have owned a launch Gamecube and a launch Wii U.

Definitely Gamecube had more momentum when it was released and had some compelling games. Also I didn't consider it too underpowered compared to its competitors.

Luigi's Mansion and Smash Bros. within a month apart was killer. Also the last Nintendo system to have decent third-party support.

While they may have lost out on a lot of talent, they had a treasure trove (cove) of IP--some of which were more mature, that Nintendo could have definitely used throughout the years,

Talent at a software company is just HR. People were leaving, the stampers were leaving. The IPs are debatable. KI and PD might have been worth it, but are they worth a quarter billion? We dont know.

I feel pretty confident in predicting that Mario Kart won't save the Wii U; at most it'll provide a temporary bump to software sales.

All those same games didn't exactly help the Gamecube's long term sales either.

3D0, Jag, some hyper obscure handhelds like Game.com, N-Gage, Gizmondo...nothing major though.

It's really hard to understate how much of a flop WiiU really is. There's not a lot that's really on it's level. had early sales not been coasting on Wii brand recognition, it would be a contender for "worst of all time." the sales it had are hilariously frontloaded.

You really believe the wii U has just 20 games? Or are we just counting first party here?

What are you talking about? I already own more than 20 wii u retail games, and there are plenty that I don't own, plus others coming this year. Unless you were joking of course.

If you love Nintendo so much you know online has never been the reason to own their systems, there's Monster Hunter 3U which is amazing anyways.

I bought a Wii U half a year ago with Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3U, Wonderful 101, and Mario 3D World. I've dumped hundreds of hours on these games and the quality of them is out of this world. I haven't even played Zombi U and Rayman Legends which supposedly are also really good(some even say they are the best Wii U games), there's also Donkey Kong and Mario/Luigi U if you want more 2D platformers.

And that's just the games that already came out, the games that will come out this and next year have me really excited.

The software is there, it just doesn't resonate with the mainstream market.

You named a half dozen games. That's not much. At all.

Also being a fan of Nintendo games shouldn't require the understanding of a companies inability to get with the times. It's dumbfounding that Pikmin, Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong TF do not have an Online functionality.

Also your list includes a tired, boring 2D sidescroller. I can't be less interested in that game. Monster Hunter is for a pretty limited audience and it's not an exclusive game to the console, either is Rayman.

So you've got about 5 first party games, outside of W101 all are sequels, some are tired and none have online support. What great software :/

It's insulting that none of these really sell the systems functionality as to why I need the screen on the controller. Also lets not forget Donkey Kong. The fucking controller does nothing, the screen is literally off.

Also Zombi U is not a good game, it was an okay launch title at best.

Stop this Nintendo fanboy BS i see on here where we list a handful of games and pretend that those interested just don't get it.

We get it, we all do. Many of us would love to Play 3D world, DKTF and Pikmin easily the best and most attractive games on the system. The problem is there has yet to be more than a few games released, very far between one another.

Beyond this problem, I still am not sold on the controller as a necessity when only one player can sue it, and it hasn't changed the experience. The problem isn't the Mainstream market. The problem is Nintendo has yet to show us why anyone would want to drop 300$ on something they won't use more than a handful of times a year during the few new releases.

Mory Dunz

What? What software?

It's shocking really.

Well, maybe you shouldn't buy it. Or wait 2-3 years until all the games are out.

I see this on GAF a lot and it's confusing to me. If you're already complaining about your future enjoyment of a product that you don't own yet, then you probably shouldn't get it, especially when it's hundreds of dollars of an investment. Since only one game appeals to you. That way we don't end up with regretful LTTP threads.

I know the Wii U is garbage in a lot of ways. I also knew I'd enjoy it a lot. So I got one.

Not to be too critical, but I see this a lot and it's weird to me. Wii U will probably be cheap in a couple of years and there will be a better picture of the software. Maybe with more online games.

Oh yeah, we're definitely getting all those. I'm just saying, in 2015 I think they'll go silent about newer games coming out. They'll keep the focus on the 2015 games, and then start hyping up the next system.

Probably. Maybe.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wii U just needs more damn games. Between the increased HD costs and supporting the 3DS with a phenomenal year, Nintendo has yet to full out support the Wii U. There's always droughts to space out titles.

Wii U may have few exclusives but the few it does are phenomenal games amongst the best in their class.

Talent at a software company is just HR. People were leaving, the stampers were leaving. The IPs are debatable. KI and PD might have been worth it, but are they worth a quarter billion? We dont know.

I actually mis-wrote what I meant to say. I meant to say "While Rare may have been losing talent, Nintendo missed out on their IP."

KI and PD could have been good for the aforementioned mature angle, but Banjo-Kazooie also would have been very valuable. And even their smaller hits had untapped market potential, I'd argue.

But granted, whether it was worth the cost, I can't say. It's just a shame how it all turned out

That makes much more sense. Thanks.

Portugeezer

Why does Nintendo even bother with this console?

Ditching it would be worse if they plan on releasing another console.

If worse comes to worst, then they'd release Zelda U in 2016 as a cross-gen title on both Wii U and their new console, like Twilight Princess. I have mentioned this a few times because I think this could honestly happen.

Marceles

I'm enjoying my Wii U, but damn...they're really going to wait until Winter to release Smash Bros, which could bring the sales up a lot more. If anything they should be releasing the 3DS version later and the Wii U version in the Summer.

Oh yeah, we're definitely getting all those. I'm just saying, in 2015 I think they'll go silent about newer games coming out. They'll keep the focus on the 2015 games, and then start hyping up the next system.

Probably. Maybe.

I expect their next console by 2017, it's going to be pretty interesting, I'm really excited about the Nintendo OS they want to share between their next handheld and console.

Mory Dunz

I'm enjoying my Wii U, but damn...they're really going to wait until Winter to release Smash Bros, which could bring the sales up a lot more. If anything they should be releasing the 3DS version later and the Wii U version in the Summer.

- People wouldn't double dip if the Wii U one came first.
- Wii U version might have some sort of Christmas deal or something that would cause it to sell better then than in the summer.

prag16

Banned
You named a half dozen games. That's not much. At all.

Also being a fan of Nintendo games shouldn't require the understanding of a companies inability to get with the times. It's dumbfounding that Pikmin, Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong TF do not have an Online functionality.

Also your list includes a tired, boring 2D sidescroller. I can't be less interested in that game. Monster Hunter is for a pretty limited audience and it's not an exclusive game to the console, either is Rayman.

So you've got about 5 first party games, outside of W101 all are sequels, some are tired and none have online support. What great software :/

It's insulting that none of these really sell the systems functionality as to why I need the screen on the controller. Also lets not forget Donkey Kong. The fucking controller does nothing, the screen is literally off.

Also Zombi U is not a good game, it was an okay launch title at best.

Stop this Nintendo fanboy BS i see on here where we list a handful of games and pretend that those interested just don't get it.

We get it, we all do. Many of us would love to Play 3D world, DKTF and Pikmin easily the best and most attractive games on the system. The problem is there has yet to be more than a few games released, very far between one another.

Beyond this problem, I still am not sold on the controller as a necessity when only one player can sue it, and it hasn't changed the experience. The problem isn't the Mainstream market. The problem is Nintendo has yet to show us why anyone would want to drop 300$ on something they won't use more than a handful of times a year during the few new releases.

Have you played any of these games? You said you don't own the console, correct? I didn't expect to like Pikmin 3 or SM3DW that much and I was proven wrong. Numerous people swear by ZombiU. Have you played it?

As others have said, if you're not interested, don't buy it. But don't try to pass off all the games as objectively average/bad, especially if you haven't or have barely played most/all of them. That's all.

Top Bottom