• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you use those sticks if do?
Probably would have to have a big enough area on the top to support the analog, but you could put the circuits on it, bottom part would be just d-pad and buttons.
Nothing about the design says it couldn't be like the Go. Would probably still be a bit big for a portable though, probably the size of 3DS XXL.

Just speculation, it could or could not have buttons based on its design.

Also, freaking LOL at all your overreactions in here!

While it's looking a lot more like the real thing, we still don't know ANYTHING!

Not if this is the handheld or the console controller, not what's in the thing, HELL NOT EVEN IT'S BACKSIDE!

But you guys already know everything about it, just by looking at the pics.

This is some pure comedy gold in here, someone hand me the popcorn!

Yes but it makes me so happy and gives me the fuzzies. People see new controller and fuckin WIG out. The hyperbole both positive and negative is hilarious and makes for such good times. This is why I love Nintendo, motherfuckers can rile folks up EFFORTLESSLY.

cormack12

Gold Member
It's rare that you need to press two buttons at once right? So what if the scroll wheels are dials with say 4 positions and each position represents a different button? So press the button in when scroll wheel 2 is in position 1 then it's mapped to jump. Scroll wheel 1 in position 2 is mapped to 'run'. Then you can change the position on the fly for things like crouch or reload etc.

On one hand I'm scared, on the other, the Wii U Gamepad changed from the first time it was publicly revealed and release

17oo9662scic1jpg.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5915316/the-wii-u-gamepad-is-different-heres-how/

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/gamepad/0/3

Edit: Because reading is too hard and people only look at pictures, changes included:
1. Changing the nubs to actual, clickable sticks
2. Adding back grips and the rest for the triggers
photo14.jpg

3. Tweaking button sizes, positioning (check the dpad and face buttons relative to the sticks)

Yeah, I'm not saying they'll go as drastic as adding physical face buttons, but they made some fairly significant changes

Steejee

Like I said before, Nintendo needs to speak up. The air is leaking out of the balloon.

Sorta depends - if it's fake, then they don't need to say a thing as the actual reveal would make it pretty obvious all the leaks were made up.

If it's real, then any statement beyond 'The images are of a concept testing prototype that is no longer in use' probably isn't needed.

Discomurf

Hmm this is either one of the most impressive fakes ever or the real deal. If real maybe the unit could be 'snapped into' different adapters like a hand grip shown in the patent.

In addition to haptic feedback if it also has face tracking 3D it could act as a heads up display of items etc which would be pretty cool.

I dig.

Empty

it looks classy. the wii u gamepad is definitely chunky chidrens toy next to it.

i have no idea what their concept is for the system.

Hip Hop

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is a handheld.

Shouldn't we see some kind of dev kit right next to it if it was a console? It would be obvious.

jmizzal

This one looks sleek and real, would like more info, I couldnt imagine Nintendo would go with another expensive controller .

I'm thinking handheld but can be used as a controller for the console, maybe bundled also.

Arkeband

Banned
Would make perfect sense except the nubs are on the screen, which would make for a horrible user experience.

Folks have assumed that the 16x9 screen would be centered on the pad, and devs could just use the rest of the area for "themes" or whatever.

teiresias

There's a reason I can't play games on my phone, and that's because touch-based controls suck. This is quickly going from "I'll see what Nintendo brings to the table" to a hard "Nope" from me if this is even remotely true.

It's like Nintendo is throwing out everything known about good game input design to either chase a market this won't break into, or to desperately find the next input gimmick to buy some time with a Wii-like fad.

Banned
Barber: what you want fam?
Vita: just fuck my shit up.
Barber: say no more.
giphy.gif

Well on the bright side, Nintendo's path to becoming third party is gonna happen sooner than later when this flops as hard as the Wii U and won't have the 3DS to save it.

So, uh, where are the buttons?

That's the $1000 question.

The truth is, the vast majority of portable gamers (i.e. phone and tablet users) use onscreen buttons without any problems. Nintendo is probably banking on this.

Of course, the problem is that those types of gamers aren't going to buy your NX regardless, Nintendo. Your remaining market is the old-school types, and they are going to turn their noses up at your lack of physical buttons. This is potentially a colossal mistake on their part.

EDIT - at least in the US. Never underestimate Nintendo's tunnel-like focus on the Japanese market. It's possible that this will fly over there, and, as far as Nintendo's concerned, that's the primary goal. The desires of the western gamer/market are secondary, and pretty much always have been.

I want this to be true if only to see certain people who have spent years railing against mobile have to try and spin haptic buttons into a good thing.

daveo42

Banned
I actually really like the look, but I worry that it'll handle like absolute shit. Please, surprise us Nintendo and make a touchpad controller that doesn't feel like ass when it's being used.

Goddammit I don't know what to think. (if it's real)

On one hand it looks sexy/slick, but on the other hand lack of buttons is undeniably scary.

Well, shit. If there's no buttons, it's going to take a very compelling game to make me give a shit about the system. I can't handle a lack of tactile buttons.

Kimawolf

Looks cool and different. I like it. Jesus do we really need all three of the exact same fucking system generation in an out? gets really old. I personally can't wait to play with it to give a better impression.

funny enough there was a time when none of the hardware was the same, and developers played to the strengths and weaknesses of each system and made for some fascinating games. Now its just copy paste over and over. jesus.

fabprems

Obviously #teamfake, they didn't even try to create a credible macbook keyboard layout :
lKmUGJi

Anyway, I kinda feel that this thread will remind me of the wiimote reveal thread ("WAT ! This looks like a tv remote, Nintendo is so doomed")

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is it upside down? Because there are thumb smudges next to the left (would be right) joystick, implying touch screen buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom