• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffram

Meanwhile at Nintendo...
JokerBurnsMoney.jpg

They cannot possibly get rid of buttons. If this controller is real, I bet the console will come with a more standard controller too.

I'm gonna say that there's no way it's fake. Yes, it's entirely possible someone took the time to physically create this controller weeks after a previous leak... lol.

Yeah, it's real. Hell, it may be super early or a prototype. The RETAIL version could be different. It could even have buttons. But these images of the controller are real, there's no doubt in my mind. It looks like a Nintendo design IMO, and something they would do.

At this point I'm fully under the assumption that this is the real deal and what I expect to see for the most part.

Gah, I'm afraid it's going to be like another Wii U all over again.

I really hope this isn't going to be another case where the system is $299 and the controller takes up $199 of that cost, and we're left with shitty last gen hardware.

akileese

Have the ones on denial reached acceptance yet?

I'm getting there quickly. I also told my wife if that's the controller and it's totally buttonless like it looks, I'm out. I'm not a huge fan of fake button gaming at all. Even if they can do it properly, I just don't like how it feels.

Tenebrous

If it looks anything like that then this might be my first generation skip since the N64 (never had a SNES/NES - Team Sega)... I can make my peace with a lot of things, but no buttons isn't one of them.

Zyrox

This shit looks dumber than the Wii U Gamepad which is...quite an achievement.
I really hope this is fake (or a prototype and the real controller is something COMPLETELY different)...for Nintendo's sake.

GOOCHY

I don't play games on a smart phone precisely because there are no buttons and feedback. Nintendo going that direction? I don't know, man.

takoyaki

They cant make traditions games with this

It has to be all new

We don't know that until we've tried it, taptic engine on AppleWatch and the feedback on the Steam Controller both feel pretty good. If Nintendo use a refined version, built specifically for gaming, this just might work.

I still think about it as a smartphone with the added benefit of real sticks, not a traditional controller without real buttons.

Funny enough the design confirms BC is going to be a thing.
You got two screens (controller and TV).

Curious how it will be handled.

Kolx

Then the device is dead to me even before the reveal if this is true. Nin is really good at fuckin their hardware. At least this time they might be forced to go third party.

I'm not gonna rule this thing out entirely until they give a full presentation, but honestly looking like the Wii U and 3DS were my last Nintendo consoles.

jonno394

Honestly, If this is the handheld, then I can completely understand why Nintendo have gone buttonless. So many people game on phones and tablets nowadays, and if they're trying to cross over and tap in to that market, then no buttons will at least be something mobile gamers are used to.

How much hate it'll get from "traditional" gamers though. ..

cyba89

God damn, I usually trust Nintendo with controller stuff but a controller without DPad+Buttons would be extremely hard to swallow, even for me.

But let's wait for E3 and HandOn impressions before freaking out.

The Nintendo brand is finally over! Maybe next decade!

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for NX. Nintendo has nothing left, nothing they can reveal at E3 would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in NX. Except if they want to play Zelda. Which will also come to iOS/Android at some point.

The age of Nintendo is done.

/amir0x

Wouldn't the handheld system be a successor to the 3DS, therefore be a literal RPG machine? That lack of face buttons doesn't deter me in that regard, but I'd like to see how they handle platformers before sending the thing to hell.

A Nintendo console/handheld that cannot properly play a super Mario bros platformer would be a sad, sad thing.

Ricky_R

I'm getting there quickly. I also told my wife if that's the controller and it's totally buttonless like it looks, I'm out. I'm not a huge fan of fake button gaming at all. Even if they can do it properly, I just don't like how it feels.

Yeah, non-physical buttons might be an issue for many. Hopefully they can pull it off.

RoKKeR

That looks... bad. I don't want to play any game with that thing.

The design itself is neat though, especially with the wrapped screen.

Mechazawa

Now that it's looking pretty fucking real:

Why does the screen wrap around the analog sticks, that's the dumbest shit of of all time jesus Nintendo aaaaaahhhhhhhh

If this is real my interest in NX dropped a lot more than I expected.
If it is real I pray that standard controls are an option.
They won't be

Hip Hop

Sigh. And I was hoping Nintendo would go a bit more traditional to capitalize on MS's downfall.

That's what I'm saying. Nintendo can't keep cannibalizing their consoles by being way too different. So here comes another console that gives devs another wall to not develop for again with it being different from the other 2 consoles, as if relations wasn't enough.

This has gotta be the handheld, where they are the only ones to dictate in what direction to go, as they have the "crown" there. That doesn't translate well on the console side where Sony and Msoft are making the moves.

Oppo

what's crazy about this thing

is that it looks pretty much like what I'd expect Sony to make as a followup to the Vita

if they were insane enough to make a followup to the Vita

BowieZ

Banned
Why do so many people think it's the controller?

Surely this is the handheld??

The title of the thread really ought to be changed I guess.

MikeyB

I have big hands. Sticks on Sony controllers generally rest at the middle joint of my thumbs (thumb tips bump sometimes when playing). Putting a screen in between the sticks? Yeah okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom