• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leatherface

GAF team detective here. One thing to note is there only seems to be a smudge on the left hand side where the hand would touch the screen. There are zero smudges on the screen where you would normally press buttons. Seeing as how the controller looks like it is used for testing of some soort, one would think there would be smudges elsewhere from tapping on screen buttons. There may be another explanation besides touch screen buttons as we all assume.

I going to withhold absolute judgement until we actually know 100% what the controller is. That said, if that's the real deal...oh dear.

georly

I'm sure it's been posted, but this thread is moving fast.

Swedish keyboard layout.

keyboard-153.png

DICE, Ubisoft Massive, Mojang?

Ubi is leak capital, so I'll go for division port to NX.

In all honesty? I'm extremely intrigued by this design.

I mean, it's undoubtedly more original than the GamePad, this MIGHT bring some new ideas if done right. The GamePad was just really DS on a console.

Playing the wait and see approach.

Rvaisse

Buttons are there, the sticks are used as primary buttons according to the patent, i guess these new kind of stick will have a better "push" than the clicky stick we already now.

Also worth noting there's a hdmi cable ready to be plugged in on one of the photo...

Please be the handheld

FUCK no thats even worse!

Well if thats the console you know the handheld will be that way. Hell honestly I am starting to think that handheld/console combo is real. That is why no one knows which one is coming out because they both are. You price that for $299-$350 and Sony and MS may have some competition. Not only does it fly off the shelves because its a 2/1 deal but it plays current gen games.

From that link.

• Only the upper 'nubs' of the sticks move. The bottom part is static (kind of like the circle pad, but it moves along the bottom 'sphere'.

This is the thing that made it look like a fake to me. It didn't look like the analogs were real! This makes more sense now. I am leaning towards this being the real thing. I am generally ok with Nintendo trying whatever weird stuff they want to because I love their IPs and in that sense they always deliver, but NO BUTTONS?!?! Oh Nintendo.

Will be there day one regardless.

if it ends up being on-screen buttons you touch like on a smartphone, then it doesn't matter if it's a handheld or the NX controller itself, i won't be touching (heh) it with a ten foot thumb. (someone plz photoshop this)

i can totally see the masses digging it simply because "omg the screen isn't square and the sticks are embedded! how they do this?!?!" just like waggle. ugh.

i can't handle all the internal speculation anymore though. i just want it to be E3 already so they can just announce the thing and clear the air. at least i will have something factual to feel sick about.

"Buttons? Where we are going we won't need buttons."

E3... please hurry. Good, bad, whatever happens with NX is going to be goddamned entertaining around here! :D

ViciousDS

Banned
(with this near confirmation, allow me to go off the handle and be reactionary)

Eff. What the hell, they're really going through with this haptic button shit?! Even Nintendo can't pull this off, you have to keep your eyes on the controller to make sure you're even hitting the button. Your fingers have no feedback to keep them guided on the button, it slips 1/4" and you're suddenly not hitting a button but you have no idea. People are excited for this? Why because it'll vibrate when you hit a button? That's going to be so damn annoying after about 3 minutes.

I just can't make sense of this.

ok, I feel better.

even the steam controller has buttons.....come the fuck on Nintendo!!!

Boogdud

I like it. Way smaller than the Gamepad, and I'm happy that someone finally took the steps to remove buttons from the controller. Everyone else wants to stay in 2005, that's their decision, but give me the new shit.

Buttons are so 2005... Are you for real?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I cannot claim this serendipity. Harmful surges are these recent events.

Anth0ny

This is amazing.

If that thing is the primary controller for the NX... somehow, that's the lesson they took out of the Wii U.

That's what they came up with to follow their greatest failure.

Unreal. This thing is going to fucking bomb! Quote me mother fuckers! Add this post to your bookmarks! Less than Wii U.

This shit is NOT viable in the current console marketplace. It's just not. NO ONE is going to port their shit to this weird fucking... thing.

Mumford

Oh boy, that could be the handheld? This is gonna be glorious to watch unfold. If this is a fake it's very well done.

Brinbe

Well, it seems they're content to sit on their current strategy. Throw out more gimmicky iterations of their first party legacy titles and get next to no third party support... at least it'll probably get those iOS/Android ports though! The NX will be THE mobile gaming platform of choice. *Barf*

Kansoku

What kills me the most is the shape. I can already fill it pressing the center of my palm.
At least it looks like it has the scrollable shoulder buttons.

But well, I'll wait the announcement before crying wolf.

jeffram

Yes but giving this up allows for infinite control schemes tailored to each individual game. The sticks are surrounded by a touch screen correct? Even for gestures alone this could allow for more seamless controls. Want to throw grenades in call of duty? Flick your thumb up the right side of the control stick. Cycle thru weapons by sliding along the bottom of the control stick.

Want to introduce someone to gaming? Have the controller display button prompts. Want to learn a combo but just can't get the timing right? Have the controller show you right there on the pad.

I think there's great potential.
On screen prompts work just fine. Moreover, if timing is an issue, why would you want to have you fingers off the button so you can see the prompt?

Oppo

honestly it's sort of growing on me

it has the shoulder "scroll wheel" buttons so maybe Nintendo decided that was enough, + haptic/contextual touch stuff.

it's very interesting. like an evolved Vita. sorta cautiously digging it. my last Nintendo handheld was a DS.

bachikarn

Haven't been able to read the thread, but does this seem like the handheld? Not sure why you need a head phone jack otherwise.

Ploid 3.0

Nintendo: So I hear you want buttons, and no expensive screen controllers. Look at our new screen controller with no buttons!

I'm honestly kind of scared right now. That can't actually be the final design of the main controller, can it?

It-It's gotta be some kind of peripheral. Some kind of separate hand-held thing.

Yeah. I'll refuse to believe anything about the NX until E3.

BadWolf

If that is the new console's controller then they are pretty much embracing the fact that 3rd parties don't care about their consoles.

Makes sense in a way I guess.

Well if thats the console you know the handheld will be that way. Hell honestly I am starting to think that handheld/console combo is real. That is why no one knows which one is coming out because they both are. You price that for $299-$350 and Sony and MS may have some competition. Not only does it fly off the shelves because its a 2/1 deal but it plays current gen games.

I can see this doing a handful of games just fine

I suppose that any game with a preferred traditional method will have controller support? (smash)

As for handhelds though..... CMON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom