• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorTom

This thread is crazy.
See you guys on page 150!

It's aesthetically pleasing, but it doesn't look like it'd be very nice to hold

platina

I, i just want to press some buttons man
full

" We have a product for people who don't have access to buttons."

PS4K
ipc6VlB.gif

On top of the virtual buttons, that thing looks incredibly uncomfortable to hold. More so if you imagine were those buttons would be. I can't ever imagine playing a fighting game on this thing. This looks like a disaster.

I mean

We have had Smartphones, tablets, Steam Controllers

I know what they COULD do with something like this

Im sure they could make some great and creative games and whatever

It will likely support the Pro Controller as well (and should be in the box)

I dunno though man......

Ferr986

What I don't get is, given the amount of people currently loving their smartphones, clearly there is a desire for touchscreen interfaces. So why so many declaring it'll fail?

I say this will hit with mainstream America a la Wii era and Sony and Microsoft will again be left playing catch up.

People don't love their smartphone as a dedicated console machine.

I love my smartphone but hate playing something non-swipe on it. This seems the worst of both worlds.

But we'll see. Too early to tell yet.

Well, I've lost all interest in NX if that is real.

I don't care what the console is or how powerful it is. I don't care how many good exclusives they throw onto it. I don't care about how sleek everything is.

I am not using THAT.

Fox318

That controller is gonna kill major 3rd party titles from being ported.

Unless Nintendo plans to only port F2P ios games.

megalowho

It looks pretty. But a touchscreen interface is a baffling decision. Nintendo interpreting the "go mobile" cries in the most Nintendo way possible.

LordOfChaos

Still wish for physical buttons as they already have the display donut tech, but now that I'm thinking about it, four larger buttons in a circle around the sticks/nubs with the tactical feedback may not be bad.

RulkezX

Will probably be fun to play a Mario Endlrss Runner on it when Nintendo go mobile only.

In seriousness if this is real I'll have extra money to put towards my PC upgrade this xmas.

dasme

And here I was thinking that this was the generation that Nintendo would be moving AWAY from the gimmick. Want to be wrong, but man...

Boogdud

Guys, guys, we haven't seen the back of it yet. It's totally got buttons on there right? THAT is the revolutionary feature, right?

...though how the hell would you use a d-pad in reverse. EFF

Unless Nintendo bundles the NX with a Wii U Pro Controller though, I dunno if I can get behind a controller without face buttons, at least not for Nintendo's next big console. I only hope that this controller exists to serve as a method to connect Nintendo's mobile games with the NX.

So that entire surface is a screen? Seems pointless. Your hands will cover up the corners. Could put face buttons there instead. I don't get it. Why is screen space you can't really use, a priority over useful functionality? Hope that changes.
The screen is a haptic screen that will be used to to create digital buttons with physical feedback. It's actually really cool if it works well, because it means any part of the screen can become a button, and that you could possibly do stuff like customize the exact position of face buttons

Thewonandonly

Wow nintendo knocking it out of the park with two consecutive console, which both have controllers that are in the running for worse possible controllers ever.

Guess what everyone this console isn't for you. Its for those that have grown up with tablet gaming.

Sincerely,

Generation Z

i.e. GTFO Gen X and Y this isn't your console.

FU, Gen X-er here and I'm not only interested, I'm starting to let myself get excited since this is seeming more and more real.

The hype train is the best train!

Linkhero1

If that is the controller and they do not offer a traditional controller as a side alternative, this will be the first Nintendo console I skip.

I still think lack of buttons is a reactionary response from people who have no real understanding of the concept of haptic technology. I'm not sure how well the technology will work, but theoretically it could simulate a physical button really well, while providing additional advantages not present with them.

Honestly, if anything concerns me, it's that the cost of the controller will likely be pretty high. Though they'll likely have pro controller equivalents anyways if that's the case

I just dont understand the practicality of haptic buttons. It seems like a large, large grab at the wii/phone market nintendo lost. It seems risky and needlessly ballsy

Again, what can haptic provide in terms of button layout that 4 simple face buttons cant?

You cant put them anywhere special because your thumbs naturally need to be close to the sticks

Whats the benefit besides the initial "wow! That's different, I wonder what it's like?" reaction

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They should sell some of those corn on the cob grips with this. They, like, plug into the sides.

Moofers

I don't see why not having buttons on the main controller should be a dealbreaker for anyone. The Wii U and the Wii both had their "pro controller" that you could buy for playing fighting games or whatever else. I'm sure Nintendo would love to make money on that with the NX as well.

The biggest question any of us should have right now is: How will this controller design make Nintendo's games better?

For me, if it serves as a portable way to play the games when I can't connect to a TV, I'd be willing to accept the controller as it is the same way I do with the Vita now. The Vita is no Dual Shock 4, but it gets the job done when I want to play on the road. I imagine this thing will be able to serve the same way.

JoeM86

I haven't read any of the posts in this thread, because there's too much to go. All I have to say is that I don't think this is "THE NX controller." If the NX is really a hybrid system, then this is likely the handheld system (3DS successor) that can also serve as a "Wii U gamepad" for the NX. I think it's safe to assume that the NX will also have traditional controllers.

I'm fairly certain Iwata said that this is not going to be a hybrid...

We don't know that until we've tried it, taptic engine on AppleWatch and the feedback on the Steam Controller both feel pretty good. If Nintendo use a refined version, built specifically for gaming, this just might work.

I still think about it as a smartphone with the added benefit of real sticks, not a traditional controller without real buttons.

Those are both terrible examples, for the apple watch you looking at it the whole time, if this is a controller and your looking at the tv your fingers aren't gonna stay on the buttons without you pressing them. Also the Steam controller only uses thumbsticks, not buttons.

MK_768

Well, I've lost all interest in NX if that is real.

I don't care what the console is or how powerful it is. I don't care how many good exclusives they throw onto it. I don't care about how sleek everything is.

I am not using THAT.

So you are making a decision based on how something looks rather than how it works? That's so nonsensical lol

Koozek

The console will have grips for this handheld with face-button overlays that go over parts of the touchscreen so you can press the face-buttons which then press the underlaying virtual buttons.

Phatcorns

Are you guys being serious with proclamations of Nintendo's death from one picture of something we don't even know what it is? I know this is the internet and we're supposed to be hyperbolic, but come on man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom