• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX fan concept art thread

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Here's my concept art
AhlEH2Ph.jpg

ozfunghi

Übermatik;216766939 said:
This thread was a... terrible idea.

Mods keep locking other threads and every time they do, a new thread pops up that gets crazier than the last. Topics have been closed for little to no reason in the past, so instead of leaving these threads open, by closing them they are making matters worse, since they force all the crazies into one new über-coocoo topic, making normal discussion impossible in every new topic because all the posters that are reaching the limits of sanity, all get together in the new topic. Had the old topics still be open for regular discussion, the insanity would be much more dispersed, imo.

Mods keep locking other threads and every time they do, a new thread pops up that gets crazier than the last. Topics have been closed for little to no reason in the past, so instead of leaving these threads open, by closing them they are making matters worse, since they force all the crazies into one new über-coocoo topic, making normal discussion impossible in every new topic because all the posters that are reaching the limits of sanity, all get together in the new topic. Had the old topics still be open for regular discussion, the insanity would be much more dispersed, imo.

You're absolutely right about this. Honestly most of the recent threads (barring yesterday's) had good discussions happening until people came in asking for the thread to be locked or just plain shitposting. For instance I still very much wanted to discuss the possibility of a clickable free form donut screen button surrounding a centered stick or button, but it was locked because people came in asking for it get locked without actually noticing the meaningful discussion going on. So now we get meaningless crazy like this thread (which, don't get me wrong, is entertaining) because apparently meaningful discussion is boring to some people.

I was being flippant. My post was in reference to the bizarro designs above.

ggx2ac

From my last post: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=216722979

Going on about the above fan mock-up/concept some more. As mentioned, the shaded blue areas are Free Form Display Donut Shaped Screens which are for contextual inputs.

I think there's a problem with the practicality of this, there would have to be some spacing between the stick and the screen otherwise if it was using an electrostatic touchscreen, your skin would be touching the screen where your thumb is resting and would cause accidental inputs.

So I think the Donut Shaped Screens would use resistive screen tech while the display screen shaded in green would use an electrostatic capacitance screen. The question then is, how would you make the screen feel like pressing a button? Haptic Feedback?

I tried checking out Tactus Technology where they have the buttons that can pop out of screens and can press them but I don't know what's going on with that company, their website lists their last activity happening back in June 5th 2015 and I don't even know if they appeared at CES in 2016. (I can't even link the Nintendo mystery acquisition to this company because the mystery acquisition was 4Q FY 2015 -> before April 2015. Acquisition was announced in August 2014.)

udivision

From my last post: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=216722979

Going on about the above fan mock-up/concept some more. As mentioned, the shaded blue areas are Free Form Display Donut Shaped Screens which are for contextual inputs.

I think there's a problem with the practicality of this, there would have to be some spacing between the stick and the screen otherwise if it was using an electrostatic touchscreen, your skin would be touching the screen where your thumb is resting and would cause accidental inputs.

So I think the Donut Shaped Screens would use resistive screen tech while the display screen shaded in green would use an electrostatic capacitance screen. The question then is, how would you make the screen feel like pressing a button? Haptic Feedback?

I tried checking out Tactus Technology where they have the buttons that can pop out of screens and can press them but I don't know what's going on with that company, their website lists their last activity happening back in June 5th 2015 and I don't even know if they appeared at CES in 2016. (I can't even link the Nintendo mystery acquisition to this company because the mystery acquisition was 4Q FY 2015 -> before April 2015. Acquisition was announced in August 2014.)

Contextual screens is a patently awkward idea.
Games have leapfrogged that issue--developers already make context sensitive buttons. Gamers have shown they are able to adapt to idea that different buttons do different things based on the the current game state, without having to look down at their controllers.
And then there's the problem of the buttons being "fake" as you mention.

ggx2ac

Contextual screens is a patently awkward idea.
Games have leapfrogged that issue--developers already make context sensitive buttons. Gamers have shown they are able to adapt to idea that different buttons do different things based on the the current game state, without having to look down at their controllers.
And then there's the problem of the buttons being "fake" as you mention.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking there was less of a reason for context inputs but the other part of the mock-up was to get directional and action inputs in one area to reduce discomfort with holding a handheld as the 3DS has shown if you wanted to play something using the D-pad.

That's why I keep bugging about putting GameCube style buttons around an analog stick like Speely's post lol.

I got this. If I never post again, you know why.

F7xeIYf.jpg

Yeah, that's why I was thinking there was less of a reason for context inputs but the other part of the mock-up was to get directional and action inputs in one area to reduce discomfort with holding a handheld as the 3DS has shown if you wanted to play something using the D-pad.

That's why I keep bugging about putting GameCube style buttons around an analog stick like Speely's post lol.

I believe Refreshment.01 posited that the donut screens wouldn't even need to be touch screens- you could set them up to be clickable at an angle such that you would simply depress the donut at the location of the button you wanted to press and it physically clicks. The major problem with that is that you aren't able to press two buttons on the donut at once but in his initial mockup there was a single traditional button at the center of the donut, not an analog stick or circle pad.

Been rather enjoying this piece i found on the interwebs...

http://imgur.com/a/iFTc4

qJtnAFg.jpg

Fig. 1
The NX will be roughly half the size of an Olympic swimming pool. It will have hundreds of controller ports to allow large crowds of people to play. It will feature full 3D holographic AR. A select few will man the face buttons, d-pad, and thumb sticks.

sDFUQRM.jpg

Fig. 2
Decisive Battle with the beast Ganon. The team operating the face buttons are likely to perish in the conflict. It is not yet known whether Ganon possesses his own personal NX unit.

ggx2ac

I just realised the mock-up I did feels somewhat similar to the Steam controller even though I've never used it.

Of course I was trying to think up something that used less face buttons but that didn't work.

Now I'm thinking of something with regards to the split D-pad.

Picture the C-stick of the New 3DS which is like a trackpad.

So how about a split D-pad that touching the surface moves a character in a direction (I haven't thought whether it should be analog or digital) and when you press the D-pad button it will do a function.

So compared to a clickable analog stick that has one button to do one action, you can have a D-pad that does directional movement and 4 buttons to press to do different actions.

Edit: Here it is, the Wonderswan inspired NX.

The blue shading indicates analog controls when you touch the surface like a trackpad and each button is its own action button aside from giving directional movements.

The red shading indicates digital controls when you touch the surface like a trackpad and each button is its own action button aside from giving directional movements.

green shading is the display screen and it has shoulder and trigger buttons.

ozfunghi

Übermatik;216780778 said:
I was being flippant. My post was in reference to the bizarro designs above.

Oh, ok, lol.

You're absolutely right about this. Honestly most of the recent threads (barring yesterday's) had good discussions happening until people came in asking for the thread to be locked or just plain shitposting. For instance I still very much wanted to discuss the possibility of a clickable free form donut screen button surrounding a centered stick or button, but it was locked because people came in asking for it get locked without actually noticing the meaningful discussion going on. So now we get meaningless crazy like this thread (which, don't get me wrong, is entertaining) because apparently meaningful discussion is boring to some people.

One thread got locked because two or three guys were arguing about the validity of a couple of twitter sources... i mean, WTF.

PopeReal

Oh man... the meltdowns. So glad I was on team fake for this.

The best part of it all were the people going in hard after others for thinking it was fake. Their reasoning was that others were in denial because they themselves KNEW that the NX was going to bomb. This was their proof.

I actually thought it was real, they got me.

Top Bottom