• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Control: Ultimate Edition Console Performance Review (PS5 & Xbox Series X|S)

JimboJones

Vrr is never going to add missing frames.

It's good on pc as fps is generally north of 60 fps.
Who is saying it adds missing frames? In fact that is exactly why can be useful, because it doesn't repeat frames.
Instead of a game repeating frames to fill in the blanks left by a framerate below 60 it syncs the gpu to the display so 48fps is out putting at 48htz so less perceived stuttering, no tearing, less latency.
It going to be a useful tool no matter where its used, and its only going to become more and more prevalent. TVs with hdmi2.1 spec will have it by default and PS5 will have it soon enough.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Vrr is never going to add missing frames.

It's good on pc as fps is generally north of 60 fps.
50fps with gsync looks perfectly smooth. The reason you think lower than 60 is stuttering without vrr is because you get doubled frames on a 60hz TV, which momentarily drops it down to 30fps.

12344566 at 50fps without gsync
1 2 3 4 5 6 at 50fps with gsync

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
have also ps5 and lg cx and many games are too dark (especialy in bc), probably you have to disable hdr or try to adjust brightness/gamma in game (using dynamic tone mapping in lg cx sometimes helps)

OLED's in general crush blacks by nature due to higher minimum luminance. So some fine details can get crushed.

Last edited:

Md Ray

The only thing nx is doing is amusing people with what a smatterer he is and what an amateur he is, not unlike a regular forum poster pretending he knows what he's saying. Not that he wasnt called for not knowing what hes talking about for years and years. Now he finds "double reflections" in his pursuit to cocksuck sony and playstation
salty GIF

What is NXG trying to imply? Not able to comprehend. I guess I need some caffeine to figure this out
He took parts in the great culture wars, drawing attention to the excesses of one side when the other is brought out. I think pointing the double standard is a correct thing to do, as we had constant violence, including kids being shot, coordinated attacks on government buildings, etc. framed as "mostly not violent" which taken to its literal definition is not a lie, but when you cover events that way you can't turn around when the political opponents do something you don't agree with FOR ONE DAY and act like this is the end of the world.

Enough of this, these posts belong in the other sections of the forum.

ethomaz

Banned
I remember those days. Now if the game has any performance advantage on ps5, it is immediately treated as a bug or diminished by SeriesX VRR.
But if and when ps5 VRR arrives, then what?

It is fun to discuss, but no matter whichever has the advantage, it is generally slight. And that wasn't supposed to be the case.
When PS5 VRR firmware arrive it will become a big thread with Riky memes.

You liked the world? Man I really can’t get into it. And there’s something off about her animation in terms of fluidity, why can’t I mantle things it’s weird she can do all this other shit but can’t pull herself up a damn ledge.
Yup, I'm on my second attempt at playing it and while I appreciate some of the visuals / special effects and the world they attempt at portraying (It kind of reminds me of Half-Life 2 in that way)... the controls are responsive too.

But there is something amiss, like in all the Remedy games I have ever played, the characters are off, animation sucks, etc. it doesn't feel grounded.

I'll probably keep going longer this time anyway.

MonarchJT

Banned
DF is obviously biased towards Xbox. It's totally evident watching the tones in the videos, the words they choose, the different way they react to things and so on.
They're still professionals but the bias is absolutely there.
There is a reason only Xbox fans in these threads pretend not to see it and that's because it's good for them they act that way (at the same time they attack NXgamer and other people for not being positive enough towards Xbox though :messenger_grinning_sweat: )
And it's not a recent thing, evidence has added up for years since... the PS3 vs 360 days?
It's obvious they have a really good relationship with Microsoft, which is proved by the fact they were chosen as partners to make important hardware related annoucements. Something that Sony never considered to do with them.
They have been seriously surprised to see PS5 doing so well in multiplaform comparisons, if everything had gone according to plan the PS5 should have been already labeled as 'underpowered' but instead here we are, PS5 is doing at least as well and the editorial line is pretty much to downplay and quickly sweep under the carpet every PS5 advantage and cheerlead with carefully selected titles, tones and words everything that goes in Xbox favour.
The good thing is that times have changed, they can do whatever they want but there are many voices now and their results will always be compared to others.
Once upon a time such nonsense would have been banned without the possibility of reply.but as you say "here we are" , you are allowed to rant.
Luckily you are a very old gaf user and we know your preferences well and the reason for your senseless attacks on DF

Last edited:

Entroyp

PS5 better ray tracing mentioned in 3:39.

PS5 Better performance mentioned in 8:42

PS5 no stutters like Series X mentioned

Winner PS5

Wow.. another easy win for PS5. Who would have thought after all the shit talk from MS and its fanatics.

Last edited:
couldn't that be said of most comparisons where there is a slight fps difference or res difference?

But sometimes the differences are so small that you won't even notice them side by side. Like in Controls case for example. It's going to be almost impossible for anyone to notice a difference between the two versions side by side. Hitman 3 is a different story though since there's a clear resolution advantage and settings advantage on the XSX.

bender

What time is it?
But sometimes the differences are so small that you won't even notice them side by side. Like in Controls case for example. It's going to be almost impossible for anyone to notice a difference between the two versions side by side. Hitman 3 is a different story though since there's a clear resolution advantage and settings advantage on the XSX.
RALktI3.gif

ethomaz

Banned
I think something is off on your settings. you shouldn’t have any crushed blacks. i don’t have that problem on my oled. I have a lcd monitor also
I agree here.
It is easy to notice crushed blacks and I don’t see it in a old PLASMA with PS5.

But maybe it is something related with 4k
Chroma and HDR that I can’t test.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think something is off on your settings. you shouldn’t have any crushed blacks. i don’t have that problem on my oled. I have a lcd monitor also

I don't have an OLED, but you may search about it as it's a "natural" downside of OLED's, as the pixel can't get low enough for certain degree before it shuts down totally obscuring potential fine details. Overall it's near impossible to point it out without side by side with an LCD. You may search about it, it's not something you can not have. Should you even care about it? No, because it's no where near as bad as bad FLAD black crushing.

Last edited:

Stooky

I don't have an OLED, but you may searched about it as it's "nature" downside of OLED's, as the pixel can't get low enough for certain degree before it shuts down totally obscuring potential fine details. Overall it's near impossible to point it out without side by side with an LCD. You mean search about it, it's not something you can not have. Should you even care about it? Now, because it's no where near bad FLAD black crushing.
I‘m aware of that. In older models it was bad. I’ve owned 2017 oled and now a 2020 oled. It’s not noticeable when compared to the entire image especially when compared the artifacts of lcd

Last edited:

Stooky

I agree here.
It is easy to notice crushed blacks and I don’t see it in a old PLASMA with PS5.

But maybe it is something related with 4k
Chroma and HDR that I can’t test.
There’s a lot of settings that can introduce and multiply the effects of black crush on oled. Like you said gamma , BFI, auto hdr, contrast settings etc, but with the right settings the oled tv looks amazing! Ive owned plasma lcd, oled beats them all IMO.

Last edited:
What’s the next face off?

Early March, Yakuza: Like a Dragon comes out on PS5. I bet that gets XsX vs PS5 analysis

After that I think Outriders in early April, RE8: Village in early May

That's just new releases, I don't know what currently released games are getting NG updates in that time as well (Avengers, etc)

PaintTinJr

There’s a lot of settings that can introduce and multiply the effects of black crush on oled. Like you said gamma , BFI, auto hdr, contrast settings etc, but with the right settings the oiled tv looks amazing! Ive owned plasma lcd, oled beats them all IMO.
IMO the best oled vs the best of LED in overall picture delivery is no contest, because the best of LED can do SDR at levels of brightness that OLED can just about reach/surpass for HDR, whereas LED HDR is almost a whole number multiplier better. The best of FALD is close enough in black level, contrast and colour reproduction IMHO, and sharper, that the imagine highlights - giving the punch - is pretty much the biggest difference on show - beyond the picture processing at different price points. And I believe that has been Sony's strategy with entry cost FALD, mid to high range FALD and OLED, and then flagship FALD at the top of their TV product range.

My last two mobile phones have had 4K screens, the XZ Premium was 4K 16:9 LED, and my current Xperia 1 has a 4K HDR OLED screen at 21:9, and for watching netflix/prime video the older phone was far superior because of the brightness, as it made dark scenes viewable in daylight conditions. The OLED has marginally better colour reproduction, and superior contrast in low light viewing, but not enough to make it the better option IMO, and I suspect that plays out in like for like OLED/LED comparisons.

Back on topic, playing the small amount of Control UE so far, that I have on PS5 on a Sony ZD9 FALD, I didn't notice any crushed blacks, even though I did need to adjust the game's contrast, twice after starting, to balance the deepest blacks against highlights.

The two screenshots -from the person's tweet - in my previous post above, don't show a loss of detail when recursively decomposed using wavelet decomposition and high pass filtering, in an image package, as the wavelets don't visually show a loss of data one way or the other AFAIK.

When you get past the first 7 layers, and then process the residual image again, you get to about level 10 or 11 of wavelets before the histogram even shows a noticeable difference in signal, and even then, it is hard to ascertain whether the difference is because the imagines aren't clamped to the same peak brightness from capture, or if the more exponent falloff look on the PS5, is actually supposed to have less overall brightness. Without identical pictures with both clamped to peak brightness it is hard to say which would be the superior image.

Stooky

IMO the best oled vs the best of LED in overall picture delivery is no contest, because the best of LED can do SDR at levels of brightness that OLED can just about reach/surpass for HDR, whereas LED HDR is almost a whole number multiplier better. The best of FALD is close enough in black level, contrast and colour reproduction IMHO, and sharper, that the imagine highlights - giving the punch - is pretty much the biggest difference on show - beyond the picture processing at different price points. And I believe that has been Sony's strategy with entry cost FALD, mid to high range FALD and OLED, and then flagship FALD at the top of their TV product range.

My last two mobile phones have had 4K screens, the XZ Premium was 4K 16:9 LED, and my current Xperia 1 has a 4K HDR OLED screen at 21:9, and for watching netflix/prime video the older phone was far superior because of the brightness, as it made dark scenes viewable in daylight conditions. The OLED has marginally better colour reproduction, and superior contrast in low light viewing, but not enough to make it the better option IMO, and I suspect that plays out in like for like OLED/LED comparisons.
Peak Brightness is on the lower end of image quality (excluding hdr) . An example would be watching oled vs Lcd in a medium to dark room. Led would look significantly worse with loss of detail from the led black light. Sure Led would be bright but blooming , raised black levels would loose all shadow detail, and in the case of some samsung led tvs it can wash out the overall image. FALD was a stop gap solution, just like mini led. Would have been to expensive to make, they could't produce large screen sizes, and i don't think they could make 4k screens with it. Quantum dot Oled is the future, its a true RGB display.

You cant compare oled , led phone screens to tvs, they use different panels for each of them.

Last edited:

Murdoch

It's safe to say I won't be posting there again 😂 the irony is off the charts. NXGamer... You're in good company 🤭

User Banned (Duration Pending Further Admin Review): Inflammatory False Equivalences Around Bigotry and Fascism)

I'm not comfortable in banning people with a difference of opinion in any capacity. If we applied this way of thinking to the real world then things like Trump coming to power and the Nazi party happen. You need balanced and represented views from all sides discussing things rather than the one way street we seemingly have. When you all start to wear little hats then extremism happens. (It would be ironic if I got banned for this and supports the above) 😂

Somewhat ironically, this ban was made permanent 😂

SkylineRKR

I platted this game on PS5, played 50% in 60fps mode and the other half with RT I think.

The crushed blacks are terrible. Some corners and halls I just can't see shit. Esp. when I play in daylight. And I'm not going to change my settings, other games and my Xbox have perfect picture in settings. On Pro, and vanilla on Xbox GP wasn't like this either. Other than that its fantastic. RT mode plays kinda worse which is expected, but later on the extra effects do add to the experience. There is just much more details going around during hectic battles. But 60fps mode has far, far better aiming and response. Gameplay is king isn't it? Play 60fps.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I platted this game on PS5, played 50% in 60fps mode and the other half with RT I think.

The crushed blacks are terrible. Some corners and halls I just can't see shit. Esp. when I play in daylight. And I'm not going to change my settings, other games and my Xbox have perfect picture in settings. On Pro, and vanilla on Xbox GP wasn't like this either. Other than that its fantastic. RT mode plays kinda worse which is expected, but later on the extra effects do add to the experience. There is just much more details going around during hectic battles. But 60fps mode has far, far better aiming and response. Gameplay is king isn't it? Play 60fps.
Crushed black are terrible on my Pro too.

Arias05

Banned
Can confirm it’s rock solid now no more stuttering! Went to the communications area where you fight that boss and no loss in FPS at all

Top Bottom