• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Dirt 5 | The Next Gen 2.0 Patch Technical Analysis - PS5 | SX | SS

Shout out to NXGamer NXGamer for the great content

With New Year about to ring out, I wrap up 2020 with a look at the 2.0 Patch that just landed. Xbox Players and Playstation players get an update but not all is equal?

Video is available up to 4k/60

Watching now...

Looks like XsX was improved in 120hz mode

MLcRw5n.png
Na2OSDS.png

(summarizing what I hear NX say)
- settings are much closer now but PS5 still has slightly better draw, AO, filtering, textures
- holds 120hz more often on both consoles, tears less in 120hz mode

FzRbV0z.png

- bug introduced on PS5 where ground looks burnt and game stutters at random points
- sharpening filter added on 120hz mode on XsX, introduces some shimmering in background details

6SZBh3Q.png

- generally slightly sharper image on XsX but better texture details on PS5 in 120hz mode
- quality mode (60fps) on PS5 still has slightly better texture filtering, texture quality and details, very close though, average higher resolution

c6eO0C5.png

edit:

Should add:

- he points out a few cases where VRS appears to be hurting shadow and texture detail in spots
- he shows a few spots where this new PS5 bug causes moments of judder that tank the framerate momentarily, then stabilize

Last edited:
Incoming screenshots of ps5 being better and series being better for fanboys to post on Twitter.
Yeah a improvement on Xbox series x which is good.

XsX version definitely got an upgrade, which is cool.

For people who love to cherry pick there are some gold moments to choose from in this vid. Spots where he shows the PS5 stuttering bug (in places where it never had the issue pre-patch) and in that one moment of judder the PS5 is 20ish FPS lower than XsX.

Also some side by shots that aren't like for like, different level of activity on screen. I tried to avoid those. But yeah, the warriors will pull what they want.

Last edited:

DJ12

Before it was noticeably worse than the PS5 version in the 120FPs mode. At least they fixed that issue. Shame about the occasional stutters in the PS5 version though.

Also he sure mentions VRS alot in this video.
It's still noticeable, the start of races, and the "lets show the cars at funky angles at the start" sections, series X is clearly lower res than PS5 on 120. Whatever was being filmed at 60FPS (quality or performance isn't stated) also dips more on Series X.

Having VRS, basically ruining the image quality in this game (I'm sure done properly it's going to be barely noticeable though) and performing worse however slightly, with lower settings, is not a good look for "Worlds Most Powerful Console".

Maybe another few rounds of patches, with more bugs introduced into the PS5 version will finally give the Xbox the dubya its fans appear to need.

Since I play my games at 500% zoom this is going to be a huge dealbreaker for me.
But you will always know the PS5 version is better, deep down, however slight you want to convince yourself the difference is. Lets be honest, you don't need to zoom the image to see the resolution is lower when it drops down on Series X.

I am happy Codemasters have given xbox users a similar level of quality to the PS5 version, so everyone can enjoy the look of the game, but lets not beat around the bush, the PS5 looks better in all modes and doesn't us VRS which is supposed to improve performance.

Definitely looks like the xbox series x version is 👑 again, hopefully EA will allow codemasters to fix the issues the ps5 version has as right now xbox series x - xbox series S - - - - - - then ps5 version.

Season 1 Episode 3 GIF by Rick and Morty

don't mind me, I am just here to watch whatever happens next

Good luck, my son.

Last edited:
Whatever was being filmed at 60FPS (quality or performance isn't stated) also dips more on Series X.

It looked like avg framerate in 60fps mode was around 59 for XsX and 59.75 on PS5, for whatever it was worth, but that wasn't expanded on very much, just going off footage from one portion of one race

Bravedwarf

Neo Member
And here we go. This be on Twitter and Xbox fanboys will post this and then ps5 fanboys will be like pfffff potatoe and show ps5 advantage (at this point it’s basically if you own a series x like me) it got a nice upgrade from previous patch. Looking forward to see if they will still tweak this game or do afew more bug fixes etc and drop it.

skneogaf

And here we go. This be on Twitter and Xbox fanboys will post this and then ps5 fanboys will be like pfffff potatoe and show ps5 advantage (at this point it’s basically if you own a series x like me) it got a nice upgrade from previous patch. Looking forward to see if they will still tweak this game or do afew more bug fixes etc and drop it.

I had to be quick to screenshot this bad boy! 😍

DJ12

It looked like avg framerate in 60fps mode was around 59 for XsX and 59.75 on PS5, for whatever it was worth, but that wasn't expanded on very much, just going off footage from one portion of one race
It was more the resolution I was referring to. Fps neither here nor there when you look at the averages.

J_Gamer.exe

So still higher res, textures etc on ps5 in quality, 120 is closer but still lower texture details on series x.

And series x is using vrs.....

Must be a slight concern for MS and people who boasted about its power as VRS was touted by the hardcore as a major advantage they thought Sony wouldn't have. To be using it and only nearly able to keep close with ps5 wasn't what many on here had envisaged or predicted. Also VRS makes things look worse.

Ps5 I believe can use VRS but I read its earlier in the pipeline as part of the geometry engine so probably not even used yet.

If series x is using vrs and ps5 isn't what would performance look like if it didn't use it?

This is still not a great look for the once claimed'world's most powerful on paper console based solely on teraflops' imo....

Codemasters said the tools were good and they were happy with them, they have had more time and made improvements but still no xbox win.

I dont think there will be any major changes as we go forward, the 2 consoles will be close all gen. Both will improve and have own advantages. No magical xbox comeback like some think imo.

skit_data

I am so tired of seeing this game at this point... how many threads are there now? 5?

Still cant wrap my head around the fact that some games seems to perform worse on PS5 after a patch? I mean...I dont want to sound like a tinfoil hat but it is really strange that a patch introduces stuttering is it not? In two games?

AnotherOne

So still higher res, textures etc on ps5 in quality, 120 is closer but still lower texture details on series x.

And series x is using vrs.....

Must be a slight concern for MS and people who boasted about its power as VRS was touted by the hardcore as a major advantage they thought Sony wouldn't have. To be using it and only nearly able to keep close with ps5 wasn't what many on here had envisaged or predicted. Also VRS makes things look worse.

Ps5 I believe can use VRS but I read its earlier in the pipeline as part of the geometry engine so probably not even used yet.

If series x is using vrs and ps5 isn't what would performance look like if it didn't use it?

This is still not a great look for the once claimed'world's most powerful on paper console based solely on teraflops' imo....

Codemasters said the tools were good and they were happy with them, they have had more time and made improvements but still no xbox win.

I dont think there will be any major changes as we go forward, the 2 consoles will be close all gen. Both will improve and have own advantages. No magical xbox comeback like some think imo.
Has anyone ever accused you of being a sony fanboy?

I am so tired of seeing this game at this point... how many threads are there now? 5?

Still cant wrap my head around the fact that some games seems to perform worse on PS5 after a patch? I mean...I dont want to sound like a tinfoil hat but it is really strange that a patch introduces stuttering is it not? In two games?

There are new threads because there are new analysis being done since the game was changed in a recent patch. When a game launches optimized and the results are cut and dry, you get the initial wave of videos/breakdowns, the dust settles, people move on.

This was different. It was openly suggested that the XsX version of the game launched bugged, settings wise, as it was running much lower settings than the PS5 version, even when XsX was in Quality Mode and PS5 was in 120hz mode.

That bug was fixed recently. The XsX version had settings upgraded/fixed, and also performance was adjusted slightly on both consoles, hence we have NEW analysis, hence we have NEW threads. The game changed, there are technical adjustments/differences/big fixes compared to launch.

Not to get defensive, but if I didn't start the thread, someone else would have 10 seconds later. It was gonna happen no matter what. At least I am not just posting a video or link with no explanation. People have been curious to see what the 2.00 patch fixed on XsX and also the bugs it seemed to introduce on PS5. Worth discussing, worth taking note of, IMO.

Personally, I MUCH prefer these threads to the Cyberpunk Flood we endured a couple weeks ago. I'm glad that slowed down.

As far as PS5 being worse post-patch (and this goes to TGO TGO 's question too ((edit and also to assurdum assurdum 's post below mine now))), I think they had to make adjustments in 120hz mode so both consoles would hold 120 more frequently and have less tearing. So basically, settings were raised on one and lowered on the other to a point where both can hit 120 more often and tear less, but that is what I got from NX's words. I could be wrong.

The other game is Valhalla, right? I haven't played that yet, but just bought it off Amazon.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

It seems when they are too focus to fix series X via update something goes wrong on the ps5 size. Obviously is not intentional but it's the second time which happens (AC Valhalla was the first case).

Last edited:
I had the concern that vrs would affect graphics more than its proponents were saying. Like, no way was it going to be completely unnoticeable.

DF posted a vid back in the summer about VRS and showed cases where it clearly had an effect on IQ (Gears Tactics) but others where it wasn't noticeable at all (I believe the most recent Wolfenstein game) and offered a nice FPS boost for no IQ loss. I dunno if there are different versions of VRS, if the consoles aren't capable of the best form of it, or if that is a game by game thing.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

The most talked about game that nobody bought.

assurdum

Banned
There is nothing of magic in VRS. It saves performance but at cost of horrible IQ flaws. Hope the fact ps5 uses his version integrated in the GE means it less noticeable in the IQ and tricked to mask such issues.
Everytime I seen VRS in action on series X is a big nonono thanks.

Last edited:
How again is this gun considered the gold standard? He didn't test resolution mode...ya know, the one most people are going to be using.....the fuck?

Had he tested it, it would be paramount to know if the random stuttering on the ps5 and drops from 60fps are worsened, improved or no different vs quality mode (and how that compares to the Series X in overall smoothness and avg framerate as well).

So parity then? Both consoles are on par?

So another nail in the 12TF coffin. Nice.

The hell? That's a random, stupidly simplified conclusion to draw. They are clearly not on par in some areas and the ps5 actually loses noticeably in others due to what he hypothesizes is a bug. As a buyer of the digital version of the ps5, I will be pissed if this isn't fixed, given I don't have the opportunity to go back to the prepatch version like disc users can.

There is nothing of magic in VRS. It saves performance but at cost of horrible IQ flaws. Hope the fact ps5 uses his version integrated in the GE means it less noticeable in the IQ and tricked to mask such issues.
Everytime I seen VRS in action on series X is a big nonono thanks.

Doesn't Gears 5 on XsX use it? The new Hivebusters DLC is some of the best lookin content on NG consoles right now, IMO

assurdum

Banned
Doesn't Gears 5 on XsX use it? The new Hivebusters DLC is some of the best lookin content on NG consoles right now, IMO
VRS blurred and aliased the IQ. Doesn't means the whole graphic can't be good in any manner but if you know where to look, such issue is far from unnoticeable.

Last edited:

Unknown?

The hell? That's a random, stupidly simplified conclusion to draw. They are clearly not on par in some areas and the ps5 actually loses noticeably in others due to what he hypothesizes is a bug. As a buyer of the digital version of the ps5, I will be pissed if this isn't fixed, given I don't have the opportunity to go back to the prepatch version like disc users can.
Don't worry, rumor is Sony didn't give them enough time with their dev kits, once they get to patch 3.0 they'll have this bug fixed and improved everything.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
All these micro-analyses seem to do is fuel pointless tribalistic wars, while completely missing the point of why people play games in the first place. I'm starting to wonder if these types of analyses do more harm than good to the overall gaming community.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Dat average resolution tho.

Whoo boy.

Again, someone said to wait for the analysis of this patch before making threads about it. I think I've seen enough comparisons.

PS5 is a beast.
All these micro-analyses seem to do is fuel pointless tribalistic wars, while completely missing the point of why people play games in the first place. I'm starting to wonder if these types of analyses do more harm than good to the overall gaming community.
Where have you been for the past 15 years?

This is just a continuation of the PS360 Wii era.

Last edited:
Top Bottom