• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Dirt 5 | The Next Gen 2.0 Patch Technical Analysis - PS5 | SX | SS

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I am so tired of seeing this game at this point... how many threads are there now? 5?

Still cant wrap my head around the fact that some games seems to perform worse on PS5 after a patch? I mean...I dont want to sound like a tinfoil hat but it is really strange that a patch introduces stuttering is it not? In two games?

It seems when they are too focus to fix series X via update something goes wrong on the ps5 size. Obviously is not intentional but it's the second time which happens (AC Valhalla was the first case).
Yeah, it is what it is.

Like someone mentioned, one shot it looks like they downgraded the PS5 version to match Series X.

PS5 still a beast tho, lol. 2020 still delivering, what a crazy ass year.

That average res in the OP was the assumed and agreed upon theory by damn near everyone, PS fans included, but in reverse.

All these micro-analyses seem to do is fuel pointless tribalistic wars, while completely missing the point of why people play games in the first place. I'm starting to wonder if these types of analyses do more harm than good to the overall gaming community.

first time GIF

No, but I agree with you. I think you're right. This trend kinda bugged me at first, but it's just one of those things that felt like there was no stopping, so I tried to embrace it and keep it as lighthearted as possible

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
first time GIF

No, but I agree with you. I think you're right. It's just one of those things that felt like there was no stopping, so I tried to embrace it and keep it as lighthearted as possible
This wasn't necessarily directed at this post. Nothing wrong with the analysis at all and seems fair and on point. Its just the unfortunate byproduct of these things that suck.

Yeah, it is what it is.

Like someone mentioned, one shot it looks like they downgraded the PS5 version to match Series X.

PS5 still a beast tho, lol. 2020 still delivering, what a crazy ass year.

That average res in the OP was the assumed and agreed upon theory by damn near everyone, PS fans included, but in reverse.

Was Valhalla confirmed to be post-patch downgraded on PS5, or was that debunked? I honestly can't remember

Last edited:
DF posted a vid back in the summer about VRS and showed cases where it clearly had an effect on IQ (Gears Tactics) but others where it wasn't noticeable at all (I believe the most recent Wolfenstein game) and offered a nice FPS boost for no IQ loss. I dunno if there are different versions of VRS, if the consoles aren't capable of the best form of it, or if that is a game by game thing.
If the developers know that it will integrate well, and they're pushing some really taxing rendering elsewhere, sure, use it, but as of now it shouldn't be a no brainer addition. I think DF also said there were at least 2 different implementations of VRS.

I'm not sure but when DF started talking about it, I thought to myself "Oh god, the war on banding and artifacts will never end" lol.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
not a fan of this downgrade on the ps5. it just leaves a bad taste. not the first time either. i remember origins getting downgraded after launch, even god of war. god i hate patches sometimes.

DavidGzz

We're all going to have way more hours of fun comparing games this gen than actually playing them. What percentage of you all even own this game? lol

Fredrik

”Nobody” plays in 120fps mode though...

It’s a much bigger thing that there are more fps stutters in the 60fps mode on PS5, the mode most of us actually use. While NX isn’t outright saying that PS5 version is broken like some grumpy PS5 owners said it’s clearly something Codemasters needs to look at, and NX is talking to them so maybe they’ll fix it. Framerate stutter in a racing game is obviously more noticeable than any other difference shown here so I’m not entirely sure why NXGamer NXGamer still says PS5 takes this round 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
”Nobody” plays in 120fps mode though...

It’s a much bigger thing that there are more fps stutters in the 60fps mode on PS5, the mode most of us actually use. While NX isn’t outright saying that PS5 version is broken like some grumpy PS5 owners said it’s clearly something Codemasters needs to look at, and NX is talking to them so maybe they’ll fix it. Framerate stutter in a racing game is obviously more noticeable than any other difference shown here so I’m not entirely sure why NXGamer NXGamer still says PS5 takes this round 🤷‍♂️
The mean average frame is higher on ps5 and has better texture and draw distance . That sounds like a win to me .

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The hell? That's a random, stupidly simplified conclusion to draw. They are clearly not on par in some areas and the ps5 actually loses noticeably in others due to what he hypothesizes is a bug. As a buyer of the digital version of the ps5, I will be pissed if this isn't fixed, given I don't have the opportunity to go back to the prepatch version like disc users can.
Fair play to you for being honest, we need more people like you in these threads.
Regarding your previous post I would have like to have seen more analysis on fps between XS and PS5 in all modes.
NX gamer seems to go into good detail at times but then somtimes says stuff and doesn't give examples and then just brushes over other stuff.
The lights in the tunnel seem to me like a bug on SX but to him its lower settings but then says the Ps5 over does the bloom etc amd that's a bug.
I can't take his comparisons as gospel.

YlUt1kE.jpg

Looks better in 60hz as well on Xbox. Remember all those people who were saying that once they update the settings bug on Xbox it would cost performance on 120hz mode? I should really go find their quotes😂
It has lower res texture and lower draw distance and worse ambient occlusion on xsx. Only u would believe it looks better on xsx despite the same video u r quoting mentions ps5 is superior in all aspects 🤣🤣🤣

Zathalus

YlUt1kE.jpg

Looks better in 60hz as well on Xbox with VRR.Remember all those people who were saying that once they update the settings bug on Xbox it would cost performance on 120hz mode? I should really go find their quotes😂
I think its obvious those crushed black areas are a bug of some kind. Both versions of the game appear to have tons of visual bugs between them.

YlUt1kE.jpg

Looks better in 60hz as well on Xbox with VRR.Remember all those people who were saying that once they update the settings bug on Xbox it would cost performance on 120hz mode? I should really go find their quotes😂
Have you seen the average framerate here ? Better ligthing (or is it AO?) + higher average fps on PS5.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I think its obvious those crushed black areas are a bug of some kind. Both versions of the game appear to have tons of visual bugs between them.
I think DF pointed that out about the PS5 version and said it can make the PS5 look better at times for it. Do you think NXgamer is mistaking it for better ambient occlusion ? Because I can't see better AO on PS5 only darker shadows.

DJ12

YlUt1kE.jpg

Go ahead, but don't make me go back to the original video to prove the xbox version now drops frames a hell of a lot more in 120 mode, so much so ps5 now beats it where as before it never.

Despite still having higher detail settings.

Think I will just start referring to you as Comical Ali.

Last edited:
I think DF pointed that out about the PS5 version and said it can make the PS5 look better at times for it. Do you think NXgamer is mistaking it for better ambient occlusion ? Because I can't see better AO on PS5 only darker shadows.
Not really the other video done by elandebit also showed better AO in his video for ps5 vs xsx. So not just nxgamer

Riky

$MSFT

Yeah the difference disappears when you have HDR on, it's something to do with capturing in SDR.

dcmk7

Banned
So nothing has changed, PS5 is the better version, according to the video creator, despite the newly introduced stutter bug.

Good to also see lots of mentioning of the VRS involved in the XSX version. Confirming it's existence.

Riky

$MSFT
Go ahead, but don't make me go back to the original video to prove the xbox version now drops frames a hell of a lot more in 120 mode, so much so ps5 now beats it where as before it never.

He just said at 3:43 in this very video it holds 120fps better than before😂

I've just shown you a screen where the PS5 version drops almost THIRTY frames with no VRR support that's a going to be game breaking stutter and judder.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Average Frame rate:

XSX 118.78
PS5: 117.23

All those frames difference while having lesser graphical options, the server blade is paying off. :messenger_relieved:
This is why we need longer fps examples. He hasn't even reached the first corner and soon as he's clear of the cars PS5 jumps to 120 from 90 while SX is 110 plus when in the cars. All the other comparisons he's way ahead of the cars so its 120 easy.
Not for console wars but for constructive discussion if he actually stayed with the cars maybe we could see why they have made changes to the PS5 version.

J_Gamer.exe

Has anyone ever accused you of being a sony fanboy?
Only usually xbox fanboys who don't want to listen to facts and actual results but instead repeat their companies marketing slogans, so yes usually that sort.

Please point me to what I said thats unreasonable.

Xbox using vrs and still not being able to get a 'win' given the apparent performance boost that should give you is certainly worth noting, after all the bragging.

If you think people are just going to forget all those months of bragging then its just not how life works. Many xbox fans on here rather than accept the reality and move on have prolonged it by saying xbox will best ps5 over time after tools and all that jazz.

So don't be surprised when people point out when its not happening like these people claim.

This gen DF seem to be totally unreliable when comparing games (when they actually try to compare them). They are often missing things (usually when PS5 has the advantage) or simply not doing any proper analysis. After one whole year of declaring XSX winner by default simply du to 12 > 10, they seem to be completly confused with those results, even when both versions are virtually identical.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
This is why we need longer fps examples. He hasn't even reached the first corner and soon as he's clear of the cars PS5 jumps to 120 from 90 while SX is 110 plus when in the cars. All the other comparisons he's way ahead of the cars so its 120 easy.
Not for console wars but for constructive discussion if he actually stayed with the cars maybe we could see why they have made changes to the PS5 version.

Since it ran smoother pre patch, it's very obviously a bug introduced whilst fixing the XSX rendering, so it's not worth getting excited about.

There is a tweet from one of the developers saying they are focusing on bug fixes and optimisation in coming updates. So assuming this will become top of the list.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
This gen DF seem to be totally unreliable when comparing games (when they actually try to compare them). They are often missing things (usually when PS5 has the advantage) or simply not doing any proper analysis. After one whole year of declaring XSX winner by default simply du to 12 > 10, they seem to be completly confused with those results, even when both versions are virtually identical.
DF are not perfect and you've got allow them some human error. But I don't recall often DF pointing things out and not giving a example. NX does it quite regularly.

J_Gamer.exe

It's the most disgusting feature being shouted from rooftop because of marketing 😅.imagine capping for a feature that makes the game look muddy and last gen
I dont know if its this bad or being used wrong, I just don't know.

Also we dont know if the ps5 is even using it doesn't appear so, although they apparently use is as part of the geometry engine earlier in the pipeline. Imagine of ps5 isn't even getting a gain from it yet, how fast could it run with it, not that you'd want to if the results are so bad.

But its just amazing that xbox seem to be using it and no evidence of ps5 using it and yet youd expect a big performance gain for xbox, yet its only just similar at lower res and texture detail etc.

A quick and dirty Google search I got this...

''It's not just integrated graphics that stand to benefit from VRS, though. We also ran the test on a handful of discrete GPUs. Shown above is our benchmark run with a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti installed into a testbed alongside AMD's Ryzen 9 3900X CPU. As you can see, flipping the VRS toggle netted us a greater than 46 percent performance gain.

To rule out this being a possible outlier, we ran the same test on two other graphics cards, those being the GeForce RTX 2080 and GeForce RTX 2060 Super. Here are the numbers from each one (with the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti plotted as well)...

And no, it was not an outlier. Our GeForce RTX 2080 test run netted the biggest performance gain of all at 52.9 percent, while the GeForce RTX 2060 Super was not all that far behind at 49.5 percent."

If those percentages are accurate such a boost should be putting xbox into the lead rather obviously no? But yet its not.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Since it ran smoother pre patch, it's very obviously a bug introduced whilst fixing the XSX rendering, so it's not worth getting excited about.

There is a tweet from one of the developers saying they are focusing on bug fixes and optimisation in coming updates. So assuming this will become top of the list.
I haven't seen in the comparison videos PS5 running worse. Not saying it doesn't but that's my point. They should do a full lap and stay in with the pack of cars.
And if the Ps5 bug drops frames blatantly Id restart the game and re record

Last edited:

DJ12

He just said at 3:43 in this very video it holds 120fps better than before😂

I've just shown you a screen where the PS5 version drops almost THIRTY frames with no VRR support that's a going to be game breaking stutter and judder.
And yet the averages are so close which tells you the xbox is dropping just as much overall so post cherry picked picture xbox taking a big l everywhere else.

Ps5 takes a bug hit to start then maintains 120 pretty consistently, xbox drops frames everywhere.

Also note in your picture ps5 rendering more cars, at higher detail than series x

I dont know if its this bad or being used wrong, I just don't know.

Also we dont know if the ps5 is even using it doesn't appear so, although they apparently use is as part of the geometry engine earlier in the pipeline. Imagine of ps5 isn't even getting a gain from it yet, how fast could it run with it, not that you'd want to if the results are so bad.

But its just amazing that xbox seem to be using it and no evidence of ps5 using it and yet youd expect a big performance gain for xbox, yet its only just similar at lower res and texture detail etc.

A quick and dirty Google search I got this...

''It's not just integrated graphics that stand to benefit from VRS, though. We also ran the test on a handful of discrete GPUs. Shown above is our benchmark run with a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti installed into a testbed alongside AMD's Ryzen 9 3900X CPU. As you can see, flipping the VRS toggle netted us a greater than 46 percent performance gain.

To rule out this being a possible outlier, we ran the same test on two other graphics cards, those being the GeForce RTX 2080 and GeForce RTX 2060 Super. Here are the numbers from each one (with the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti plotted as well)...

And no, it was not an outlier. Our GeForce RTX 2080 test run netted the biggest performance gain of all at 52.9 percent, while the GeForce RTX 2060 Super was not all that far behind at 49.5 percent."

If those percentages are accurate such a boost should be putting xbox into the lead rather obviously no? But yet its not.

That's simply the beginning for such technology with new AMD GPU, when you have a look on Gears 5, where VRS seems to be very well used, the result is very nice. I think it will simply be better used in the futur to have nice results. When you see how the game runs better now on series consoles with just one patch...
Series X and PS5 need time to really show their capabilities.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Have you seen the average framerate here ? Better ligthing (or is it AO?) + higher average fps on PS5.

Riky Riky is the only person on GAF that does not understand what an average is and likes to screenshot any dip in his favour and ignor dips that are against his fixed position. But dont forget, Riky has a VRR TV, didnt you know ? Yes its comical.

Back on topic, this game still has bugs which is why I watched it, will buy when its fixed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom