• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer PS5 full spec analysis - a new generation is born

NXGamer

sorry, I'm trying to follow here. Wouldn't TFLOPS matter if XSX and PS5 are both using AMD TFLOPS though? Isn't this the case? Both are using RDNA 2 so they are comparable, correct?
yes they are, I am not sure what your comment is for or alluding to?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
yes they are, I am not sure what your comment is for or alluding to?
Well you had said this is that postt I responded to:

This just proves my point AGAIN, if Nvidia Tflops are not the same as AMD Tflops, then Tflops are not 100% accurate for a reference then are they?

But the Xbox and Ps5 are using the same kind of TFLOPS...being they are both made with AMD TFLOPS and therefore are comparable.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. It seemed like you were saying the XSX and PS5 comparision could not be 100% accurate due to a reason that doesn't apply to them.

FALCON_KICK

After watching 'The Road to PS5' and ensuing confusion due to speculations regarding variable frequency in multiple forums, it seems the confusion arises from Sony decision to implement the new AMD's 'SmartShift' tech in PS5 while Microsoft opted out.
From what I understood, CPU/GPU in every PC, almost always downclocks( NXGamer NXGamer video) for 2 main reasons,
1. that particular part of game is not GPU/CPU intensive to converse power.
2. due to temperature.
So is this same for locked systems like PS4/Xbox1?

Consoles are built around thermals and power constraint. Hence during certain sections of God Of War. both GPU/CPU inside PS4 together were drawing too much power to run those sections. So assuming PS4 had this AMD SmartShift tech. had that particular section of game been GPU intensive with no additional load on the CPU, AMD new tech would downclock the CPU frequency and redirect all the saved power to GPU without making the system draw additional power thereby maintaining the fan speed to run at constant levels.

This is where Sony stands to benefit whenever either CPU or GPU doesn't need that power, AMD 'SmartShift will ensure the CPU or GPU reduce its frequency and that power saved will instead be redirected to GPU or CPU respectively to perform efficiently without drawing additional power from the mains.

So in future PS5 game, PS5 would not run like "jet engine" assuming this is how AMD SmartShift works.

Last edited:

onQ123

But the Xbox and Ps5 are using the same kind of TFLOPS...being they are both made with AMD TFLOPS and therefore are comparable.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. It seemed like you were saying the XSX and PS5 comparision could not be 100% accurate due to a reason that doesn't apply to them.

PS5 & Xbox SX both use AMD but they are getting to their TFLOPS number differently & everything isn't in the compute units so PS5 will have the advantage for the GPU parts that are outside of the compute units because of the higher clock rate.

Journey

Banned
PS5 & Xbox SX both use AMD but they are getting to their TFLOPS number differently & everything isn't in the compute units so PS5 will have the advantage for the GPU parts that are outside of the compute units because of the higher clock rate.

What's outside of the compute units? :pie_thinking:

onQ123

What's outside of the compute units? :pie_thinking:

We don't know the complete design of the GPUs but most likely it's not going to change much from this

cMHxRnW.png

NXGamer

Ha ha, no, this was in relation to my December vid on Tflops and the question was that Nvidia cannot be compared with AMD flops. These consoles are the same Architecture so they can be compared, just like this gen.

Shmunter

Ha ha, no, this was in relation to my December vid on Tflops and the question was that Nvidia cannot be compared with AMD flops. These consoles are the same Architecture so they can be compared, just like this gen.
You'd have to be real special not to get that. Special Olympics special.

GymWolf

i have a question for NXGamer, is something like this gonna be possible (while still having a great graphic) with the new cpu inside the console? or it's still too much and you have to make a crackdown\zelda botw level of details to make it happen without tanking the framerate?

287e0126c922e5c9-600x338.gif

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Could this be a peek into what a PS5 boost could do to PS4 games? Rez increases & double, triple, framerates?

Don't count on any of it, the Pro already runs the games just as the base model unless patched, and PS5 will be no differ, the GPU will lock itself down to 18CU at 800MHz and run the games with the exact same framerates and resolutions as the base PS4. There maybe will be some boost mode, so the games won't drop FPS/resolution, but that's all.

HeadsUp7Up

I've seen only like one example of this paradigm shift in games/gameplay. Anyone else have any examples of why I should be excited for this other than, "It changes everything!"

Shmunter

Y
Don't count on any of it, the Pro already runs the games just as the base model unless patched, and PS5 will be no differ, the GPU will lock itself down to 18CU at 800MHz and run the games with the exact same framerates and resolutions as the base PS4. There maybe will be some boost mode, so the games won't drop FPS/resolution, but that's all.
you’re probably right

LixhulHot

Banned
Listen. It's pretty obvious XSX is noticeably more capable no matter how you spin it. PS5 will still sell much more though.

Shmunter

Nah. It will have a few more fps and higher resolution regarding multiplats.So saying noticeably is a stretch. I agree with the statement that the PS5 will sell more tho
Even that’s not guaranteed, pro outperforms X today on a regular basis. And the power gulf there is significantly larger. If devs cant properly harness that today, a smaller gap next gen is a crapshoot to predict. A bottleneck here or there may skew results to who knows where.

HawarMiran

Banned
Even that’s not guaranteed, pro outperforms X today on a regular basis. And the power gulf there is significantly larger. If devs cant properly harness that today, a smaller gap next gen is a crapshoot to predict. A bottleneck here or there may skew results to who knows where.
yeah, even if the Series X outperforms the PS5 I don't really care.A PC does everything better than the X (if you go for top of the line hardware soon). The only reason to buy that trashcan is if you ONLY play on consoles :p

On an FPS basis the Pro still wins over the X1X in some cases. But on a pixels per second basis (a far better judge of throughput), it's normal the X1X is vastly ahead.

Some developers harness the X1X power but waste it on massively higher resolutions.

If you have a 70% higher pixel output but waste it on a 100% higher resolution, then the performance is always going to be fucked.

Or if you take a 1600p PS4 Pro game that doesn't always maintain 60 fps, and run it at 4K on the X1X, while trying to milk your own balls by trying to suck on the tip of your own tiny penis, the problem isn't the X1X.

... and that's science.

Shmunter

On an FPS basis the Pro still wins over the X1X in some cases. But on a pixels per second basis (a far better judge of throughput), it's normal the X1X is vastly ahead.

Some developers harness the X1X power but waste it on massively higher resolutions.

If you have a 70% higher pixel output but waste it on a 100% higher resolution, then the performance is always going to be fucked.

Or if you take a 1600p PS4 Pro game that doesn't always maintain 60 fps, and run it at 4K on the X1X, while trying to milk your own balls by trying to suck on the tip of your own tiny penis, the problem isn't the X1X.

... and that's science.
Oh yeah, I’m well aware of the reason. And also the reality of potentially similar crapshoot next gen.

One fact for next gen, gap much smaller, upscale techniques more evolved than ever. Would be quite the thing if upscaled PS5 game looks negligibly lower rez than XsX but performance is much better. Can’t rule it out, just like you can’t rule the opposite out.

NXGamer

i have a question for NXGamer, is something like this gonna be possible (while still having a great graphic) with the new cpu inside the console? or it's still too much and you have to make a crackdown\zelda botw level of details to make it happen without tanking the framerate?

I do not see why not, maybe not quite as Dynamic as the Crackdown teaser was but we should see huge leaps in physical interaction and destruction so long as the teams are allowed to build and use the functions for this.

I am doing a video at the moment where I discuss this in more detail and some "possible" options these new consoles bring.

GymWolf

I do not see why not, maybe not quite as Dynamic as the Crackdown teaser was but we should see huge leaps in physical interaction and destruction so long as the teams are allowed to build and use the functions for this.

I am doing a video at the moment where I discuss this in more detail and some "possible" options these new consoles bring.
great, can't wait to see your video, i'm a huge fan of physics and destruction in games.

Last edited:

HeadsUp7Up

It’s a game changer. Because reasons. Or wait for the games, they will talk for themselves!
Yea I've posted it multiple times in a couple of different threads and it just goes ignored. That's why I started putting so many of them on the ignore list; the people making the threads are just as interested in console warring as the ones they accuse of coming in defending Xbox in each of them.

HeadsUp7Up

Interested in this video! I don't care about warring over specs, just what the practical possibilities are and not pie in the sky theoretical situations. Thanks in advance, looking forward to it.

LordKasual

Banned
That's why they whine endlessly about "Jaguar curse" and how "slow" the CPU is.
After Doom Eternal with the stable 60 fps they should all crawl under a rock, but they won't.
Next-gen will be "too slow" again, mark my words. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Looking at graphical showcases like Uncharted 4 and engine leaps like Doom Eternal is why i don't even care about the power of next-gen consoles.

We got so much mileage out of the current gen hardware

I sure hope so.

One of my biggest gripes with modern FPS games is how none of them seem to give attention to the actual physical interactions of bullets with matter in the real world.

There's no reason that we've gone so many years and consoles worth of shooters and the only leaps we've gotten in terms of destruction is blowing chunks off Matrix pillars/cover cement blocks, and The Division letting you break bricks.

There's so much improvement to be made on things like ballistics and explosions in games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom