• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Xbox Performance Boosts | Technical Analysis - Series X | Series S

Shoutout NXGamer NXGamer for the great content as usual

With the second round of Xbox Backwards Compatibility titles landing on the Series S and X I thought it would be good to look into this and discuss the:- How, Why and What of this Performance Enhancement.
We also get to test them at 4K with a Resume trick, giving us a great view under the hoo
(timestamped links)
0:00 Intro
0:34 The How
6:43 The Why
9:43 The What

Enjoy the video in 1440p/60 for best experience

edit

I just learned he put this video up on IGN Games two days ago, not sure if it got a thread or not

Last edited:

n0body

Banned
Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Excellent video, very clear and concise description of all aspects of MS strategy around this.

As always, people need to be realistic about what the tech is, and what its limitations are. Or in this case, how its limitations are imposed on it depending on how the original releases were coded.

What this shows generally is what I've been saying for awhile: Although implementing these sorts of changes are in terms of coding effort minimal, the time cost in creating these enhanced versions is all about the validation stage and whether the original build needs to be touched in order to update it.

It'll be interesting to see how many older Japanese titles will be able to be enhanced in this way, especially ones that didn't launch simultaneously (if ever) on PC. Because this essentially is about coding standards and practices, specifically if at the time of production a higher frame-rate version was ever a consideration.

I'd stress before people get all judgey about the rights-and-wrongs of "best programming practice", you can't fault the coders for not accommodating something outside of the scope of the task they were set. If you're building for deployment on a single fixed system specification, you have set parameters that you can rely on absolutely.

Shmunter

Well done.

I’m somewhat puzzled by the poor fallout performance. I would expect close to 2x framerate increase over One X based on GPU brute force.

So does it run in the 20’s often on One X or XsX simply not doing as well as it should here? How will games pushing One X work out here, will most default to One S profile??

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Fantastic video, Microsoft did the right choice on the 1080p, locked 60 is more than important imo.
Seems like more of a bug, since you can go around it, with turning on the FPS boost while you have the game running. Doesn't make much sense to have same version on XSS and XSX. But who knows.

Shmunter

Seems like more of a bug, since you can go around it, with turning on the FPS boost while you have the game running. Doesn't make much sense to have same version on XSS and XSX. But who knows.
Seems deliberate considering the game runs at 40fps for prolonged periods when using One X profile.

Well done.

I’m somewhat puzzled by the poor fallout performance. I would expect close to 2x framerate increase over One X based on GPU brute force.

So does it run in the 20’s often on One X or XsX simply not doing as well as it should here? How will games pushing One X work out here, will most default to One S profile??
Engine is not optimised properly. It drops frame rate even on gtx 3060 with Ryzen 5. Just scripting and data streaming issues mostly which causes dips.

Riky

$MSFT
Good videos, this is a brilliant upgrade, making Far Cry 4 and Watch Dogs 2 so much better. Might try the trick on the Fallout games to get 4k60 and see if VRR can help out.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This explains why the res drops were happening.
I wonder how he figured it out just kept quick resuming in and out of the games?

Brilliant video.

10/10

Caio

I would play Far Cry4 on XSX, because I coudn't finish on PS4 years ago, too busy for job and other things, and never played again. Apart from the ultra smooth 60fps, did the game receive other improvements ? It looks like it has more draw distance, or is it just me ?

And what about 4K(native or dynamic whatever it is) later on ?
By the way, I will definitely play Far Cry 4 as I get a XSX.

Riky

$MSFT
I would play Far Cry4 on XSX, because I coudn't finish on PS4 years ago, too busy for job and other things, and never played again. Apart from the ultra smooth 60fps, did the game receive other improvements ? It looks like it has more draw distance, or is it just me ?

And what about 4K(native or dynamic whatever it is) later on ?
By the way, I will definitely play Far Cry 4 as I get a XSX.

It's the same it never got a One X patch, but it still looks pretty nice and it plays so much better at 60fps with Auto HDR and 16x AF.
Jason Ronald say they are working on more enhancements so hopefully we will get some sort of resolution unlock later.

Last edited:

Caio

It's the same it never got a One X patch, but it still looks pretty nice and it plays so much better at 60fps with Auto HDR and 16x AF.
Jason Ronald say they are working on more enhancements so hopefully we will get some sort of resolution unlock later.

It would be really appreciated, Far Cry 4 still looks so nice and play great, and exploration is amazing !
I'll play it as it gets all the upgrades, I'm quiet sure 4K will follow soon, as other improvements. I'll stay tuned on this one.

Top Bottom