• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX officially has the least time between reveal and release of any Nintendo platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Effective today, September 22 2016, it will be the shortest time between the official reveal of a new Nintendo gaming platform, and its release date, barring any delays. I'm including all handhelds in this as well, although I'm not counting hardware revisions like the GBA SP, Game Boy Micro, DS Lite, and New 3DS XL. This includes Japanese versions of the same platform, so while the NES/Super NES may have had a shorter time between announcement and launch, they were based on an existing gaming platform that had already been released in Japan. Also, reveal does not equal announcement, so while the NX has been known about and announced by Nintendo for some time now, nothing about it bar its release date has been officially announced by Nintendo. I think this may also be the shortest time between the console reveal and release of any platform ever (not just Nintendo) but since there have been so many game consoles throughout history it's very difficult to make such a statement.

Game Boy Advance: Revealed on August 24, 2000 at Spaceworld. Launched March 21, 2001 = 6 months, 28 days.

Nintendo DS: Revealed on May 11, 2004 at Nintendo's E3 2004 conference. Launched November 21, 2004 = 6 months, 10 days.

Nintendo NX: Revealed (at absolute earliest) on September 22, 2016. Launched (at absolute latest) on March 31, 2017 = 6 months, 9 days.

EDIT: My apologies for putting "Officially" in the topic title. It should read "Currently". A delay, as many are pointing out, is very likely. I have put in a request to change it.

Ultima_5

Yes, but it doesn't necessarily have to be coming out in March. I know that was mentioned at one point but we don't know if it's getting pushed back

LordRaptor

I think this may also be the shortest time between the console reveal and release of any platform ever (not just Nintendo)

"We would like to announce the Sega Saturn. In stores now!"

e:
Or indeed
"We would like to announce the PS4 Slim. In stores a couple of weeks ago!"

Neiteio

Reggie is going to appear in a Direct and say, "You've had the NX all along. The NX is in your hearts."

And we'll all roll our eyes at the cheese... before clutching our chests in pain.

"Reggie... What did you do??"

"I told you: It's in your heart."

Sadist

MeanwhileAtNintendo.gif

Reggie is going to appear in a Direct and say, "You've had the NX all along. The NX is in your hearts."

And we'll all roll our eyes at the cheese... before clutching our chests in pain.

"Reggie... What did you do??"

"I told you: It's in your heart."

LMAO that would sure be something.

It also beat the Xbone time from reveal to launch. It's going after that Saturn.

I can't find an official Japanese announcement date for the Saturn, but it was released in November 1994 there, before the surprise US release in May, and one would assume it had been announced for some time.

I would be okay to have a more finalized product with launch games that are definitely ready to go and be able to get it shortly after.

I really hate the hype build ups when a product is announced and won't be available for a long period of time - it's just a waiting game at that point.

If Nintendo held off on announcing it until December/January with a March release, I'd be ecstatic. If the system looks good, I'm all for getting it immediately.

Chinbo37

Its a lot of NX speculation. I guess what else is there to talk about for Nintendo right now. Other than Zelda speculation?

Mobile speculation?

Sure isnt Wii U games ...

RoadDogg

Apple launches new devices with a 1 week turn around. That is the new normal for consumer electronics. It has always been kind of silly from a mass consumer standpoint to have huge gaps between announcement and launch, you are just letting hype die for most of your non-mainstream customers. If you announce with lots of hype and launch quickly after you get way more impulse purchases because no one has had time to let their excitement wear off. Add in some fake shortages and you can ride that hype time for months.

Jawmuncher

I really doubt march at this point. Which will make the wiiu drought even more sad.

Apple launches new devices with a 1 week turn around. That is the new normal for consumer electronics. It has always been kind of silly from a mass consumer standpoint to have huge gaps between announcement and launch, you are just letting hype die for most of your non-mainstream customers. If you announce with lots of hype and launch quickly after you get way more impulse purchases because no one has had time to let their excitement wear off. Add in some fake shortages and you can ride that hype time for months.

With apple products they're all part of the same ecosystem. So while what you said applies in a general sense. I don't know how well it'll work with a console launch. Something like a WiiU slim can be announced and in stores in a week, a whole new system not as much. Since you have all of the games to promote among other things. Rather than just being able to piggy back on everything already released and some new apps.

That's not to say they aren't going to do this. But I'd be very surprised to see a full on console launch in this way. Since there's just so many more variables to consider.

Officially, it hasn't been revealed yet and we don't know when it's actually getting released. The whole thing is an unknown unknown to paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld.

orioto

Good Art™

Not the same thing at all.

Apple launch product that people know and want already... Also they are upgrades, not new concepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom