• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Subreddit mods "verifying" the the source of NX *RUMORS.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol never fails to get a kick to pop in a Nintendo hardware thread and see armchair industrial analysts talk about how doa an unrevealed piece of hardware is if it's not under "$zzzz"

Like shoo wee guess you cracked it huh? I guess ya better get on the horn to Nintendo and let them know before they release this thing.

(Also if you wanna have a discussion about new hardware launches and what they need to do to be successful, try not just shallowly mimicking the same post about how cheap it needs to be.)

OCD Guy

The market the NX is targeting is Android gaming tablets not PS4 and Xbones.

If it launches at more than $200 it will be dead on arrival.

You don't capture the low end of the market with high end prices. If the $400 price point is true then Nintendo have failed to learn from their many missteps with the Wii U.

Is it possible to discuss what price something should cost if we don't know what the exact product is or what functionality it offers.

Of course this device could be an absolute piece of shit that's severely underpowered, crappy build quality, lack of games, tacky gimmick and a commercial flop.

Or it could be the Wii all over again with some of the quality the Wii U catalgoue had. I don't think nowadays it takes a lot for a fad to catch on, infact I'd say with the way social media is it's probably easier than ever. If any of the big 3 are able to create a fad it's Nintendo.

I'd agree in general that history has shown that expensive gaming devices have ALWAYS been detrimental to sales.

I don't know why but I think the NX is going to be massively successful, and even if it's not I'm pretty much confident that it will be home to some of the best games this gen. Nintendo make some of the greatest games in my opinion, and you can always guarantee that they'll be polished and not released completely broken and in need of 10 patches.

With regards to the Wii U, I don't think it was price alone that caused it to bomb. The main thing for me was the way it was marketed, and the name. I can see the thinking behind it. Nintendo thought milking the Wii name would be easy, but it backfired, with many people not even knowing what the hell it was, add on or console, and also by that point many people who bought Wii's had them gathering dust, did they really need another?

Lack of 3rd party, and power is often mentioned but I don't think Nintendo need a "me too" console. Infact I think that would be the worst thing they could do. Why would Joe Consumer buy a Nintendo console that does the EXACT same as his PS4 or Xbox One.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
lol never fails to get a kick to pop in a Nintendo hardware thread and see armchair industrial analysts talk about how doa an unrevealed piece of hardware is if it's not under "$zzzz"

Like shoo wee guess you cracked it huh? I guess ya better get on the horn to Nintendo and let them know before they release this thing.

(Also if you wanna have a discussion about new hardware launches and what they need to do to be successful, try not just shallowly mimicking the same post about how cheap it needs to be.)

Meanwhile you made a meaningful post with a very well written argumentation towards a very interesting conclusion. Kudos. We all learned something from you today.

gafneo

Banned
What was verified? The reddit just says info was aquired from a retailer. This is no different from any other rumour. I could just say I have verified my sources from so and so and this stuff goes viral?

using past history and looking at the current market is not some insane theory crafting

Why are some of you getting so upset when people say the rumored prices are too much? Like what bubble do you live in where if we all see the nx things would magically change and justify those prices to the mainstream

What was verified? The reddit just says info was aquired from a retailer. This is no different from any other rumour. I could just say I have verified my sources from so and so and this stuff goes viral?
Yep. Literally that's all you need to do.

Let's assume for the sake of argument (and this thread) that this rumor is true.

#1 - "Interact with your game on the go"

A lot of people think this is dumb, but I think they are missing or not remembering some of the early patents. They involve "processing units" that interact with other consoles. I think the main problem is that we are all thinking about existing frameworks and not being creative.

The way this phrase is worded suggests your game is independent. That your game is occurring on its own. That when you play the console you play the game, but you can also contribute to the game on the go. If you aren't contributing on the go, *something* is still happening without you. This may be one of the secret features of the NX we have overlooked because we are all stuck on the "hybrid" theory with blinders on. Keep in mind Nintendo likes to create new paradigms for gaming, so don't think of things in the same old ways.

Hoo-doo

Banned

They are targeting the handheld market. There's no 'android gaming tablet market' outside of some niche fucking devices that completely failed to take off.

Also, unless it's actually running Android with the play store enabled, it's not an 'android tablet'.

th4tguy

Assuming the console is indeed a hybrid, $299 is too much for me as I'd be using it as just a handheld. The rumors for this are all over the place. Just ready for a real Nintendo announcement.

OCD Guy

Well apparently the difference here is that this "leaker" who mentioned several things has apparently provided proof to reddit.

The issue here is how accurate the proof was, and how thorough is the verification processes.

There have been a few cases where apparently verified reddit sources have turned out to be inaccurate.

So in theory this could be a game stop employee who claims these things, but has simply provided evidence that he is a gamestop employee, and provided images showing his information.

My view on all these rumours and "leakers" is many of them are simply people who throw lots of shit on a wall to see how much of it sticks.

Let's assume for the sake of argument (and this thread) that this rumor is true.

A lot of people think this is dumb, but I think they are missing or not remembering some of the early patents. They involve "processing units" that interact with other consoles. I think the main problem is that we are all thinking about existing frameworks and not being creative.

The way this phrase is worded suggests your game is independent. That your game is occurring on its own. That when you play the console you play the game, but you can also contribute to the game on the go. If you aren't contributing on the go, *something* is still happening without you. This may be one of the secret features of the NX we have overlooked because we are all stuck on the "hybrid" theory with blinders on. Keep in mind Nintendo likes to create new paradigms for gaming, so don't think of things in the same old ways.

You make a very good point.

I think a lot of people are imagining the NX to be pretty much an evolution of the Wii U Gamepad in that the only difference is you're not restricted to being within a certain distance from a console.

So pretty much the NX is a combination of Wii U and 3DS. Which simplified might well be the case, but as you say this is Nintendo we're talking about, a company that likes to be different, and also made many references to not wanting to announce anything for fear of being copied by competitors.

The NX is more than just PS Vita remote play with cartridges and a shared catalogue of games lol.

Doctre81

You don't capture the low end of the market with high end prices. If the $400 price point is true then Nintendo have failed to learn from their many missteps with the Wii U.

Based on what? I love how people are trying to say what market a console to going after without even knowing what it is or seeing its games.

jmizzal

Am I imagining it or did some of these NX "leakers" say September too? We all know how that turned out.

To be honest at this stage I don't think Nintendo are going to officially unveil anything in 2016.

Eurogamer said Sept, but we have had GAF insiders say it was gonna prob be pushed back last month, then Emily said Oct

It has to be Oct since, the investors meeting is Oct 26th, by then we will have a reveal or know its delayed

OCD Guy

Eurogamer said Sept, but we have had GAF insiders say it was prob pushed back, then Emily said Oct

It has to be Oct since, the investors meeting is Oct 26th, by then we will have a reveal or know its delayed

I hope so, I'm really looking forward to seeing exactly what it is, and more importantly the games.

My memory is bad, how did things play out with the Wii U in terms of leaks, official unveils etc? Any similarities with the NX at all?

What surprises me is with any other hardware it's common that we see actual real leaks of the hardware, even companies like Apple who are known to be locked down quite tight we've seen hardware leaks really early, and they've been accurate. But with the NX there's nothing. Yes we have rumours, but nothing remotely accurate, with other devices we've had balls on accurate spec sheets, pictures of the actual device, but the NX is pretty much a ghost at this point.

Are Nintendo completely locked down? If so has this always been the case, or just moreso with the NX?

Caffeine

Eurogamer said Sept, but we have had GAF insiders say it was gonna prob be pushed back last month, then Emily said Oct

so basically in the next 12 days it has to be announced to make the investor meeting ? I don't think they would announce it on a weekend, or 2 days before the meeting.

and we know they like announcing stuff on a tuesday.

The lack of information from Nintendo is slowly turning into a poison for themselves. The more they wait, the higher the expectations will be. And if they under deliver... The tight schedule means they'll have no time for a turnaround.

Believe it or not, you can bring the "lol nintendoooomed since 30 years" flag, but this NX reveal will be decisive for Nintendo's business as we know it. It'll either make it or break it and they're basically betting their whole hardware division on this one.

I hope so, I'm really looking forward to seeing exactly what it is, and more importantly the games.

My memory is bad, how did things play out with the Wii U in terms of leaks, official unveils etc? Any similarities with the NX at all?
October 11th is the big day to look out for. NX news would most likely come that day more than any other day before the investors meeting.

Peterc

Lol, you even haven't a clue. Those are the same saying 1080p output is impossible if the screen is 720p. Nintendo isn't targeting mobile games. There are enough proof that it's sure something they want to leave for the casual market. They want those gamers that using those systems to make a transition to the nx to play NOT mobile games but real diamond games like zelda bow. They are using their hybrid concept for this. Even there own IPs such as mario run, to convince them. It are the ones where mobile gaming is not enough for them.

Also beside those gamers, they also want the PS4 and xbox1 players too. It's logic to have 3rd party on board for that reason

jmizzal

What surprises me is with any other hardware it's common that we see actual real leaks of the hardware, even companies like Apple who are known to be locked down quite tight we've seen hardware leaks really early, and they've been accurate. But with the NX there's nothing. Yes we have rumours, but nothing remotely accurate, with other devices we've had balls on accurate spec sheets, pictures of the actual device, but the NX is pretty much a ghost at this point.

WiiU had way more leaks, but it looks like Nintendo put tighter NDA's on the NX

The lack of information from Nintendo is slowly turning into a poison for themselves. The more they wait, the higher the expectations will be. And if they under deliver... The tight schedule means they'll have no time for a turnaround.

Believe it or not, you can bring the "lol nintendoooomed since 30 years" flag, but this NX reveal will be decisive for Nintendo's business as we know it. It'll either make it or break it and they're basically betting their whole hardware division on this one.

The only poison I see are hardcore fans turning insane over the NX and people jumping to conclusions lol.

I'm honestly more worried about the fans than Nintendo at this point.

TLZ

Banned

Agree with everything.

Lothars

I'm laughing at anyone who thinks $199 for the base of the NX is gonna happen.

$250 is more reasonable.
It should happen, 299 for the base console is overpriced as is 399 for the bundle. They haven't produced a console worth that price because the wii u certainly was not. It needs to be at most 250.

P44

Agree with everything.

After the actual product itself, price is the most critical issue. I don't understand why you're just discarding it. This appealing to authority is dumb, Nintendo are not all knowing and infallible, they can make mistakes, if they misjudge the value proposition, it stunts the hardware sales in the initial stages.

It's not good enough to say wow whee so unique, $400 please. I don't know if you realised, at some point you have to pay for this thing, you can't appreciate the whole package without a price.

The only poison I see are hardcore fans turning insane over the NX and people jumping to conclusions lol.

I'm honestly more worried about the fans than Nintendo at this point.

Believe it or not, but the core fanbase is what allows to spread the word of mouth easily. This is, imo, Wii U biggest failure: making a huge part of its core fanbase annoyed. Sure there are still some fans who may find their fun there, but it's also the ones who gets okay with nearly everything Nintendo does.

It's not only about the fans. 5 months before release. Basically, there'll be nothing between the reveal and the launch to carry on or to do a turnover if something gets wrong. This is why the reveal will make it or break it.

Exactly. It seems like Nintendo hasn't learned a thing when it comes to marketing and PR. Not a good sign for NX.

It can be the best piece of hardware, Nintendo is aiming for a specific target. This target doesn't exist over 250 dollars for home consoles and 199 dollars for handhelds.

The NX will be minimum $249. In fact, if it launched at that price I would be shocked.The 3DS launched at the same price for Pete's sake! So we are talking about the most powerful handheld ever with a 720p screen and console-level graphics for $199? lol

This is what I'm thinking. Some people around here have really strange expectations for price. Based on what we've been told there is no doubt that this is going to be priced as a console.

Anth0ny

I gave Nintendo shit about wii u pricing, too. And I was right cause it fucking bombed.

Multi billion dollar companies aren't right all the time...

L Thammy

I assume the person who made up this stuff doesn't want to come up with a fake name, so they just claim it still says NX.

I think so too, but there was this fake-ass letter to retailers a while ago where there was something similar, albeit with a codename. Wouldn't it make more sense to not bring up the name at all and hope that no one notices rather than bringing attention to it? I feel like they're trying to future proof their leaks by saying "oh I wasn't lying but things just changed completely".

jmizzal

Exactly. It seems like Nintendo hasn't learned a thing when it comes to marketing and PR. Not a good sign for NX.

How? WiiU was revealed like 2 years before it came out and that was wayyy too long, it got so much negative press, then to go along with terrible marketing and high price, it was pretty much DOA

NX right now has a lot of buzz due to its mystery, and like Ghostrick said, they just need to knock it out with the reveal and it could be a big hit

The NX will be minimum $249. In fact, if it launched at that price I would be shocked.The 3DS launched at the same price for Pete's sake! So we are talking about the most powerful handheld ever with a 720p screen and console-level graphics for $199? lol

So ? 720p screen are really cheap. You have great hardware at 150 dollars from chinese companies. For 200 dollars, you can do it. If Nintendo can't, then they made the wrong hardware.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I gave Nintendo shit about wii u pricing, too. And I was right cause it fucking bombed.

Multi billion dollar companies aren't right all the time...

Nintendo was actually wrong with the prices for the last two launches of new devices, so not a great basis to build on there.

120v

Believe it or not, but the core fanbase is what allows to spread the word of mouth easily. This is, imo, Wii U biggest failure: making a huge part of its core fanbase annoyed. Sure there are still some fans who may find their fun there, but it's also the ones who gets okay with nearly everything Nintendo does.

It's not only about the fans. 5 months before release. Basically, there'll be nothing between the reveal and the launch to carry on or to do a turnover if something gets wrong. This is why the reveal will make it or break it.

nintendo fans will buy it regardless of what it is

any console's success rests on ~40+ million joe six packs out there that couldn't care less about this kind of stuff. when it comes out it comes out and if they want it they'll buy it. it's only hardcore forum dwellers on the edge of their seat over this thing.

TLZ

Banned
After the actual product itself, price is the most critical issue. I don't understand why you're just discarding it. This appealing to authority is dumb, Nintendo are not all knowing and infallible, they can make mistakes, if they misjudge the value proposition, it stunts the hardware sales in the initial stages.

It's not good enough to say wow whee so unique, $400 please. I don't know if you realised, at some point you have to pay for this thing, you can't appreciate the whole package without a price.

Care to tell me what the actual product is so I can put a value to it? We aren't certain it's a handheld with a dock, or a console with some form of handheld, or both with some crazy new tech that would blow our minds. And even if it was a handheld with a dock or vice versa, how do we know what unprecedented crazy tech that has? I'm not into jumping into conclusions based on vague rumors, sorry. Give me something solid and I'll tell you how much.

I agree. There's no creativity going at all here. Just hybrid this and that and extremely simplified handheld that will use hdmi to display on tv and that's it. And "omg that costs $299?! DOA!11!1!!!". No one thinks outside the box.

Yesterday I was thinking if it was a home console that had some form of detachable hardware that would connect wirelessly to your smart device to continue gaming on it. Maybe the game has a code that can be verified via a Nintendo app or something and play some form of it on it. Don't know don't ask, just brain farts trying to squeeze my brains thinking differently.

How? WiiU was revealed like 2 years before it came out and that was wayyy too long, it got so much negative press, then to go along with terrible marketing and high price, it was pretty much DOA

NX right now has a lot of buzz due to its mystery, and like Ghostrick said, they just need to knock it out with the reveal and it could be a big hit

Wii U wasn't revealed way too long. It's just that Nintendo never managed to turn it around. In 2011, the reveal was badly managed with nothing but tech demos. 2012 was a shit show. Late ports and Nintendo Land... TWICE. The console was expensive and outdated. The game announcement was underwhelming at best.

nintendo fans will buy it regardless of what it is

any console's success rests on ~40+ million joe six packs out there that couldn't care less about this kind of stuff. when it comes out it comes out and if they want it they'll buy it. it's only hardcore forum dwellers on the edge of their seat over this thing.

Nintendo fanbase is shrinking rapidly. There's a lot of people like me who bought a Wii U and won't buy a NX unless they show something relevant. There's a lot of peopme who didn't bought a Wii U at all. Check the 3DS reveal and the Wii U reveal and see what worked and what didn't.

Cwarrior

NX sounds like another WIIU disaster or maybe bigger.

Revealing it to late,means they can't react to feed back or criticism by tweaking/improving the product.

jmizzal

Wii U wasn't revealed way too long. It's just that Nintendo never managed to turn it around. In 2011, the reveal was badly managed with nothing but tech demos. 2012 was a shit show. Late ports and Nintendo Land... TWICE. The console was expensive and outdated. The game announcement was underwhelming at best.

Yea but two E3's for a console is too long to me, show it off once at your event and once at E3 and then release it, no need to drag it out, but right now Nintendo is cutting it close

Am I imagining it or did some of these NX "leakers" say September too? We all know how that turned out.

To be honest at this stage I don't think Nintendo are going to officially unveil anything in 2016.

Eurogamer did say it was supposed to be a September reveal, but to be fair, the reveal date is probably the thing most likely to change for any number of reasons. Eurogamer getting September wrong isn't exactly a nail in the coffin, but if the reveal comes and they were significantly off in terms of the details of the machine it would be safe to label them as bullshit.

IIRC, isn't the next investor's briefing on the week of the 23rd? If that's the case, my amateur guess would be more likely to put it on the week of the 16th, which gives the announcement a week or so to make the rounds and provide a bump in shares before addressing the investors. That would mean that an announcement for the reveal date could come this week, or potentially at the beginning of next week if the reveal is late in the week.

But my logic could also be completely bunk, all that good bourbon over the years getting to my brain.

Based on what? I love how people are trying to say what market a console to going after without even knowing what it is or seeing its games.

Nintendo wants a larger customer base. They have the hand held market sewn up already. The dedicated hand held market is in decline.

DS sales were 150m+. PSP sales were 80m+. 3ds is probably around 60m. Vita numbers aren't even worth mentioning. That's a huge decline over a generation.

We know that it's unlikely that Nintendo will attempt to compete with PS/Xbone because they don't have the third party support (or superior tech) that are popular on those platforms. So if Nintendo want to expand their market then they have to go after customers that have either left gaming (DS gaming grannies etc) or those that are gaming on phones and tablets (kids).

Knowing how Nintendo titles skew towards the kid friendly approach its not a huge jump in logic to assume they'll be targeting phone/tablet gaming children. Which means they have to shoot for the $200 and below price point for any chance of success. Previously $200 has been a line in the sand where mass market sales have significantly accelerated once the price drops below that figure.

maxcriden

I swore I read no Mario at launch. Probably misremembering something tho.

900p for the handheld weren't ppl saying even 720p would be a shocker?

$400 for a bundle seems pretty risky if they're going full casual marketing tho I guess depends what it is

Miyamoto did indicate at E3 last year that we'd probably see the next major Mario title (unclear if he meant a 3D one) at the next E3 at the earliest.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1235065

120v

Nintendo fanbase is shrinking rapidly. There's a lot of people like me who bought a Wii U and won't buy a NX unless they show something relevant. There's a lot of peopme who didn't bought a Wii U at all. Check the 3DS reveal and the Wii U reveal and see what worked and what didn't.

nintendo jerked fans around even worse with the revolution (wii) for far longer and it sold out the first shipment

if it's something people want they'll buy it

nintendo jerked fans around even worse with the revolution (wii) for far longer and it sold out the first shipment

if it's something people want they'll buy it

No, people were really excited by the Wii. The graphics weren't hot but the games reveal was amazing.

120v

No, people were really excited by the Wii. The graphics weren't hot but the games reveal was amazing.

they witheld what the thing was for years. they teased the "revolutionary controller" a year out, expectations were insane, it'd be a VR helmet, haptic glove, ect.... fanboys grew up crazy schematics on how the GPU would be a trojan horse powerhouse

if you want to talk about poisoning the well with the expectations game, this is child's play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom