• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markoman

I just watched The Jungle Book and Zootopia. Both were great movies. Now people say Nintendo is like Disney, but I feel like Nintendo is more like Pixar.

Disney is doing all types of movies that a for kids or kids movies with adult themes. They have movies like Pirates of the Carribean. I want Nintendo to be like Disney. Disney does it right with quality and much variety and themes.

Yes exactly, I can't even remember when I've seen Mickey Mouse for the last time. That automatic connection between toon characters and Disney is fading away.
Disney was very smart, Nintendo isn't. Nintnedo does not need western grittyness, no Gears, no COD and so on but some emphasis on PG13 content would really help them.
For example: a game like Vanquish could've been Nintendo's version of a 3rd person shooter.

georly

Rösti;202383449 said:
If Nintendo is going to have a live press conference in conjunction with E3, it would make sense to have it 06.00 or 07.00 PM PDT on June 13 at Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles due to this: http://www.dolbytheatre.com/events/details/the_legend_of_zelda

An hour long press conference for The Legend of Zelda for Wii U and the 30th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda I think could be just right. We do not know yet what time and date Sony will have its press conference, the most recent years they have held it at just 06.00 PM the day before E3 begins, so this suggestion could very well coincide with that and cause issues (for viewers/press anyway). But again, it would make sense for Nintendo to do something like that.

They had a concert at E3 in 2012 (ft zelda williams), iirc, and it didn't impact anything Nintendo was doing.

Nintendo should take a clue from Disney rather than Apple, imo.

They need an image overhaul that caters to a larger demographic. Bayonetta 2 was a right step into that direction, but they need more Marvel, Star Wars, PiratesotC equivalents.
They definitely have those franchises but have not properly managed them like say Disney or Marvel. I think they've improved lately with Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon and Mario Maker all being big consistent sellers.

But they are sitting on potentially highly appealing properties like Metroid, F-Zero and Star Fox (which granted Zero's success and impact remains to be seen).

Markoman

They definitely have those franchises but have not properly managed them like say Disney or Marvel. I think they've improved lately with Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon and Mario Maker all being big consistent sellers.

But they are sitting on potentially highly appealing properties like Metroid, F-Zero and Star Fox (which granted Zero's success and impact remains to be seen).

Next Metroid has to be a 3rd person game. It really puzzles me that this series hasn't evolved into a Sci-Fi Zelda. Metroid Prime games were great, but still...

Star Fox is dead now and it's honestly not a Teen or above rated franchise.
It's Saturday morning cartoon level.

F-Zero? A Captain Falcon open world game/ character action game + racing would be nice :D

But, that's the problem, Nintendo atm isn't creative enough to really make great use of what they have at hand.

E-phonk

Banned

They need an image overhaul that caters to a larger demographic. Bayonetta 2 was a right step into that direction, but they need more Marvel, Star Wars, PiratesotC equivalents.

While I agree, disney had to buy themselves in that market. And both times they were quite lucky with the price and opportunity.
Kudos to them for handling the franchises well though, both Marvell and SW. They could've easily totally mishandle both of them, but instead they did kind of exactly what (most) fans wanted and were able to grab the mainstream audience as well.

There are less opportunities for this in gaming I think, with rich franchises that are under/unexplored that can be bought and made into great, succesful games.
Nintendo tried this with the olympics for example, which worked out well for them (and for sega)

Nintendo could potentially still strike a deal with disney for this btw: letting disney license nintendo IP in return for nintendo getting exclusive right to certain franchises for video game adaptions.

ozfunghi

Bringing "Nintendo is doomed" in a discussion that talks about other points is a sign of lack of arguments and it is also rude. It's not even funny or smart in the context of the discussion.

NX might not get any Western 3rd party games and still be somehow successful if it's appealing to customers.

As about what we can talk, this is what Nintendo provides as information, this is what we can talk about. Mostly just speculation.

Oh, ok. WTF, lol. There is no lack of argument from my side, in fact, it's you that made the rather flimsly response "What if there is no mention at all at E3 from the 3rd parties? We play again the game of "Is there any chance that we get this game?" like with Wii U?"

Seriously, what else? Assume not one 3rd party game is in development? Either we speculate further (and discussing which games could potentially see a release is part of that speculation) or we discuss nothing at all but the little information we have (since Nintendo won't be talking about NX at E3). So what would you expect? And no, i don't believe there is a way for Nintendo to be succesful while ruling out 3rd parties. Either they force success and then 3rd parties will come (Wii scenario), or the other way around. I have no knowledge of there ever being a succesful console without plenty of 3rd party support, be it cause or effect. Ofcourse, that all depends on what you think "somehow succesful" means.

Or are you talking about Kingsnake Approved (TM) speculation? If there is no mention at E3 from 3rd parties regarding what games they will release for NX that means there are few options. Either they have no games in the works and won't be making games for it in the future. Or they have no games in the works but might still release games in the future. Or they actually do have games in the works but are keeping their lips sealed. Obviously one of those three, meaning more than enough to speculate. If they don't divulge any information, that doesn't mean no games are coming.

Also, spare me your sanctomonious BS.

Well, Wii U should have told us that if there is no mention of a Nintendo console in the release shedule of a third party title, it's probably that there won't be any nintendo console version of the said title.

As a Nintendo fan, this is going to be the lamest E3 I have ever seen. I have never been so unhyped by E3 before. I still can't believe this is happening.

They'd better go all out during an incredible fall reveal event...

EhoaVash

so with nintendo going big on digital revenue, and they're thinking its going to grow more and more for them.

do you guys think they're going to make their online on nx like PS+/Xbox live. online blocked by a pay wall?

I mean looking at sony's new financial results, PS+ subscription were a huge factor to how much money they generated.

Nintendo could be making huge banks with a subscription service too. terrible for us consumers, but it will bring in new profits, etc. It makes perfect sense from business point.

IF they do have a Sub service, i expect their incentives will be probably worst than ps+ lol. probably 3 new VC games every month. enjoy nes baseball.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, ok. WTF, lol. There is no lack of argument from my side, in fact, it's you that made the rather flimsly response "What if there is no mention at all at E3 from the 3rd parties? We play again the game of "Is there any chance that we get this game?" like with Wii U?"

Seriously, what else? Either we speculate further (and discussing which games could potentially see a release is part of that speculation) or we discuss nothing at all but the little information we have (since Nintendo won't be talking about NX at E3). So what would you expect? And no, i don't believe there is a way for Nintendo to be succesful while ruling out 3rd parties. Either they force success and then 3rd parties will come (Wii scenario), or the other way around. I have no knowledge of there ever being a succesful console without plenty of 3rd party support, be it cause or effect. Ofcourse, that all depends on what you think "somehow succesful" means.

Or are you talking about Kingsnake Approved (TM) speculation? If there is no mention at E3 from 3rd parties regarding what games they will release for NX that means there are few options. Either they have no games in the works and won't be making games for it in the future. Or they have no games in the works but might still release games in the future. Or they actually do have games in the works but are keeping their lips sealed. Obviously one of those three, meaning more than enough to speculate. If they don't divulge any information, that doesn't mean no games are coming.

Also, spare me your sanctomonious BS.

See, this is a much better post that the already tired "Nintendo is doomed" joke. This can be discussed on. And I didn't say that my speculations are the only ones that are good.

haimon

so with nintendo going big on digital revenue, and they're thinking its going to grow more and more for them.

do you guys think they're going to make their online on nx like PS+/Xbox live. online blocked by a pay wall?

I mean looking at sony's new financial results, PS+ subscription were a huge factor to how much money they generated.

Nintendo could be making huge banks with a subscription service too. terrible for us consumers, but it will bring in new profits, etc. It makes perfect sense from business point.

IF they do have a Sub service, i expect their incentives will be probably worst than ps+ lol. probably 3 new VC games every month. enjoy nes baseball.

Nintendo is so far behind in online infra that them trying to set up a pay for online would be one of the greatest troll jobs ever pulled.

They have so many games that could benefit from online and yet, they actively work against that.

ozfunghi

See, this is a much better post that the already tired "Nintendo is doomed" joke. This can be discussed on. And I didn't say that my speculations are the only ones that are good.

It was a stupid joke. There was no need for your respons like that. I was just responding to how your post gave the impression that we should not speculate about games if they weren't announced as if they would not be coming at all (in which case the "Nintendo is doomed, lol" respons). Nothing more.

For me personally as a consumer, the NX will be succesful with a typical 1st party output, with a few 3rd party exclusives (Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, The Last Story, ZombiU...) and a nice and varied selection of multiplat games. Those multiplat games would ideally be some of the casual heavy hitters such as Fifa, CoD etc... but also some AAA 3rd party multiplats such as Deus Ex. Personally i have no need for every other FPS or racer, just give me a small selection of each genre, preferably, the games that stand out. So, as a gamer, to me the GCN was a succes. But i don't think many people (corporate or other) will see the GCN as a succes.

Eolz

Nintendo is so far behind in online infra that them trying to set up a pay for online would be one of the greatest troll jobs ever pulled.

They have so many games that could benefit from online and yet, they actively work against that.

Having games not using online modes and having a bad online infrastructure (which isn't the case since a while) are two different and entirely separate things.

MilesTeg

Banned
Zelda delayed again and NX next year. Just great. The fact that E3 will be spent on a game releasing next year on a new platform seems absurd to me. Nintendo is just always late.

Roo

Nintendo is really in no position to ask for money in a component of their business that has been basic at best.

They would need to prove their online is actually worth a damn first before even thinking about a subscription based online.

Ive seen the future in a dream I had last night.

The NX will come with a standard controller and also a 6 inch touch screen accessory.

The screen won't be attached to the controller like with the Wii U gamepad although the NX console will be able to send images across in the same way.

I woke up as I was setting up the system :(

Shion

They already have at least 2 IPs that can help them with that:

iffEwld.png

Older demographics love sci-fi, open-ended gameplay, action-adventures, shooting mechanics and exploration in immersive worlds. In the current climate, a game like Metroid has the potential to help Nintendo. Same goes for Zelda -which used to be the biggest fantasy-based IP in the industry- older demographics love fantasy worlds, action-adventures, open-world games and RPG elements.

They just aren't delivering the games in the right manner.

Neoxon

iffEwld.png

Older demographics love sci-fi, open-ended gameplay, action-adventures, shooting mechanics and exploration in immersive worlds. In the current climate, a game like Metroid has the potential to help Nintendo. Same goes for Zelda -which used to be the biggest fantasy-based IP in the industry- older demographics love fantasy worlds, action-adventures, open-world games and RPG elements.

I understand you saying that they aren't delivering Metroid correctly, but what's wrong with how Nintendo's delivering Zelda?

Munkybhai

I don't get this line of thought. It's not like they can't just hire or form a partnership with people who know how to do that kind of thing (DeNA?) and spend a few years building it in the background whilst letting the Wii U coast out. They are a gaming technology company with large resources and the ability to recruit expertise rapidly and easily.

I love Nintendo. Look at my avatar, read my post history. I've never jumped on the Nintendoomed bandwagon, not for a second. Still not jumping on it.

That said, I can't help but think their business side is made of a bunch of crazy people. I honestly can't believe what I'm reading, they have no clue anymore about anything they're doing.

There will be terrible droughts once again, their home console has been dead in the water for a while and will stop production before the new one is even out. Zelda has been delayed yet another time after the ridiculous, doubled down, 2015 claim and after Aonuma took it upon himself to shorten the gap between main releases.

2016 line-up is all kinds of ridiculous, and they basically implied they won't announce any new game for the year, seeing as Zelda will be the only thing on the showfloor.

They decided not to show even a snippet of their new system fans are clamoring to hear about. Is it because the hardware and software isn't optimal yet? Well, I'm sorry Nintendo but what should I say if not "it's only your fault". They know their situation better than anyone else, but they still keep effing up release dates and basic expectations.

They're totally losing me at the moment, which of course isn't a big deal, but seeing as I'm very passionate and affectionate fan, my guess is that there are thousands like me or less invested as of now, if not more.

They're hemorraging goodwill.

I'm sorry if this goes too far into ovverreaction territory, but I've been with them since I was 3 years old, playing Super Mario Bros., I'm just costernated with their decisions. Hope everything will turn out well in the end.

Great post.

It's not so much about releasing it next year, but the reality is this: Nintendo's (hopefully) coming out of a period of years of terrible decisions and eroding mindshare and trust. The Wii U is sitting dead in the water with zero momentum. Many are questioning Nintendo's ability to pull the NX off, or are pissed (especially now with Zelda's delay). They can ill afford to remain silent right now, as leaving already angry and disappointed gamers in the dark only breeds more negative assumptions and doubt. It's more of a PR problem than anything. They need to get out there and be very pro-active in creating and nurturing goodwill and hype, and E3 affords them that opportunity. Sure it's lost relevance, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant. And I don't buy that they'd be "rushing" if they did show something as many are arguing. They're 10 months out from launch. If their games aren't showable to some extent at this point, then they're in real trouble.

But hemorraging goodwill is right. That's one thing Nintendo can't afford to lose right now. All this makes me wonder if they really understands how they are viewed.

Great post.

It's not so much about releasing it next year, but the reality is this: Nintendo's (hopefully) coming out of a period of years of terrible decisions and eroding mindshare and trust. The Wii U is sitting dead in the water with zero momentum. Many are questioning Nintendo's ability to pull the NX off, or are pissed (especially now with Zelda's delay). They can ill afford to remain silent right now, as leaving already angry and disappointed gamers in the dark only breeds more negative assumptions and doubt. It's more of a PR problem than anything. They need to get out there and be very pro-active in creating and nurturing goodwill and hype, and E3 affords them that opportunity. Sure it's lost relevance, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant. And I don't buy that they'd be "rushing" if they did show something as many are arguing. They're 10 months out from launch. If their games aren't showable to some extent at this point, then they're in real trouble.

But hemorraging goodwill is right. That's one thing Nintendo can't afford to lose right now. All this makes me wonder if they really understands how they are viewed.

Although trying to understand Nintendo's logic about most things is an exercise in frustration, one thing about them has seemed clear over the years: they hate that they have fans who aren't children, aside from parents, maybe.

They are, at heart, a toy company, and they're completely at a loss over how to engage with a community of people that they think should not be consuming their product.

Terrell

Although trying to understand Nintendo's logic about most things is an exercise in frustration, one thing about them has seemed clear over the years: they hate that they have fans who aren't children, aside from parents, maybe.

They are, at heart, a toy company, and they're completely at a loss over how to engage with a community of people that they think should not be consuming their product.

So why the allegations of leaning so heavily on nostalgia? It's not like children have anything to be nostalgic about. Your premise is shaky at best.

Astral Dog

F Zero and Star Fox?
Metroid is a slightly valuable ip with the proper care, but as Retro is doing their own thing we shall see.

Nintendo needs more new things, Splatoon was a big success for them on Wii U, and less relying on old outdated ips for nostalgia

iffEwld.png

Agreed, especially in regards to Metroid. Don't forget F-Zero, too. They have the IP, but excusing Zelda they don't really seem to give a flip about them because they don't bring in the money.

But like I've said before, that can't be the only reason for a platform holder to invest in game projects. I was actually worried about Sony in this regard too until they started showing off things like Dreams, Tomorrow Children and the such. It helped alleviate some of the talk I heard from them regarding playing it safe at the time news of cancellations were going around (like w/ that Stigs game). Granted, I still feel they could be doing more.

With Nintendo this worry is moreso about neglecting certain properties that would serve them really well in drawing in people who don't go for the typical Nintendo aesthetic. By that I mean the bright, poppy stuff in games like Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Pikmin etc. Most of those games also tend to be platformers. I'm not knocking those games at all, but just mentioning the truth of the matter. Stuff like Metroid and F-Zero are a bit "edgier" (for lack of a better term) than Nintendo's other stuff and aren't trying to be adorable. And more often than not they offer gameplay that's right up there w/ Nintendo's other stuff (for some people, likely better). They're games that could get people onto Nintendo's platforms who are not looking for offerings of Mario or Kirby in terms of looks, but are looking for comparable quality.

Call them superficial if you want, but that can go both ways. More importantly, them preferring one aesthetic over another for their games doesn't have to be completely superficial if the aesthetic greatly influences the game mechanics and design, and if that produces quality of a different variety. No one'll ever say the Souls games are all style and zero substance, but it's because of the type of substance they provide why it requires the style it provides. Yeah Nintendo can do quality stuff with Mario, Kirby, Yoshi, Pikmin etc., but there are certain game mechanics and themes those series simply can't support. That's why they need to be showing stuff like Metroid and F-Zero more love (and more importantly, love of substance).

Eolz

Don't think that is thread worthy, but thought it was interesting to see Game (the UK equivalent of gamestop) tweet that today:

Get READY. Register YOUR interest for Nintendo #NX, *INCOMING* March 2017! Info: http://bit.ly/1YcQLsI

Link sends a mail to a dedicated Game UK mail address. At least retailers are ready to see if there's any interest, that's a little bit promising.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I don't know if this is thread worthy or not, But does any of you guys also have very low hopes for nintendo next console ?

I'm not talking about the console itself which we know nothing about except rumors and speculations, but it's more about the games.

I used to be a big nintendo fan, for me nintendo was playing with my brother.It was about dreamy adventures, some cool concepts over familiar games.

But the Wii U software output really disappointed me.Besides Bayonetta 2 none of their exclusives really clicked with me.

I know it's a personnal opinion and I know their not fundamentally bad games it's just that the nintendo magic isn't there anymore.

Did I grew too old for nintendo ?

I wanna know if some people experienced it too and if they are worried about the NX and the games it'll have?

boxter432

I don't know if this is thread worthy or not, But does any of you guys also have very low hopes for nintendo next console ?

I'm not talking about the console itself which we know nothing about except rumors and speculations, but it's more about the games.

I used to be a big nintendo fan, for me nintendo was playing with my brother.It was about dreamy adventures, some cool concepts over familiar games.

But the Wii U software output really disappointed me.Besides Bayonetta 2 none of their exclusives really clicked with me.

I know it's a personnal opinion and I know their not fundamentally bad games it's just that the nintendo magic isn't there anymore.

Did I grew too old for nintendo ?

I wanna know if some people experienced it too and if they are worried about the NX and the games it'll have?
No you aren't too old, but your tastes may have changed.
The Nintendo magic was as alive as ever with their main games on WiiU

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
No you aren't too old, but your tastes may have changed.
The Nintendo magic was as alive as ever with their main games on WiiU

Well maybe their exclusives on Wii were just better than on Wii U.
When I wanted a mario galaxy 3 they produced mario 3D world, which I felt was very underwhelming with probably the worst camera of any super mario in 3D.
I hoped for a zelda and maybe it'll be good, this time I really hope,But it is coming a bit late.

I would've killed for another metroid prime ... seriously if you can make the game happen pin point me a target.

And the second screen experience was good in theory but too few games really uses it in a clever way.

There's only Bayonetta that I really liked on Wii U and I feel that they will keep this line of games on the next console and maybe focus too much on mobile.

Edit: To be clear I don't know if I lost Nintendo or if Nintedo lost me.

Hilarion

hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHA

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

holy shit hahahaa i'm fuckin dying

An FFVI remake in the style of FFIII DS or FFIVDS for the NX Portable would be totally believable to me...looking and sounding roughly like Bravely Default in higher resolution in terms of its visuals and music. The Bravely Default/Second engine would be perfect for FFV and FFVI remakes.

Roo

Anyone been to 10K's twitter lately? He posted this rumor roundup..
https://nin10k.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/nx-rumor-roundup-megadump-year-1-lineup/

The biggest news I heard, from the same three sources, is that Nintendo is in talks for a timed exclusive for Final Fantasy VI remake. No word on if it’ll be like VII (multi-part) or one whole game, or how long it’s exclusive for, or if it’ll even happen. But Nintendo seems to be throwing around that cash to built up a rapport of third party support and fight off the perception that Nintendo consoles are only for Nintendo games.

lmao

Eolz

Didn't Verendus sort of hint that FF6 was getting a remake that would be an exclusive to a 1st party?

He did, in a list where he said some of those games weren't Sony exclusives.
edit: found it

As usual (not talking about verendus) with those nx rumors, it's a mix of good guesses and wishlists + old rumors. People shouldn't read into that.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
This distinction is true in terms of categorizing the games based on functional aspects.

I would argue though that 64 and Sunshine belong in their own category for themselves, while Galaxy and 3D World are lumped together simply based on game feel. The former I feel are adventure games, especially given the open nature of the levels and the mission based star structure.

I would say it's the opposite. Galaxy and to a slightly lesser extent its sequel are closer to 64 and Sunshine than the 3D Land/World era of holding Y to run in a straight line without any real camera control, and on a strict time limit.

Meanwhile Galaxy keeps the mission structure of the first two in a lot of ways, which 3D Land and World entirely threw away.

At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter much since I think the weaksauce 3D Land/World type is the future 3D Mario we'll be getting. It's very risk adverse, so seems pretty Nintendo-like to me when it comes to their software nowadays.

To be fair, FFVIr was something I was expecting Nintendo to co-fund for the 3DS way back. I'm going to go with "What is possible, but highly improbable?" for $400, Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom