• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter much since I think the weaksauce 3D Land/World type is the future 3D Mario we'll be getting. It's very risk adverse, so seems pretty Nintendo-like to me when it comes to their software nowadays.
This, right here.

I fear the next 3D Mario will be a slightly prettier 3D Land/World expansion pack. Hope Nintendo opens the floodgates on VC on NX and includes GameCube titles. Or do a few more remasters, including Sunshine if NX has analogue triggers.

This, right here.

I fear the next 3D Mario will be a slightly prettier 3D Land/World expansion pack. Hope Nintendo opens the floodgates on VC on NX and includes GameCube titles. Or do a few more remasters, including Sunshine if NX has analogue triggers.

NX would be dead on arrival, if one of their biggest launch games would be 3D World 2.

They have to deliver a revolutionary and big 3D Mario, just like Galaxy was in 2006. Nobody would buy a NX just to play a enhanced 3D World

SCChappy

Banned
NX would be dead on arrival, if one of their biggest launch games would be 3D World 2.

They have to deliver a revolutionary and big 3D Mario, just like Galaxy was in 2006. Nobody would buy a NX just to play a enhanced 3D World

Considering that 3D World is the best 3D Mario, yes I would buy an NX just to play that.

Considering that 3D World is the best 3D Mario, yes I would buy an NX just to play that.

That's your opinion. If 3D World 2 happens, there will be meltdowns everywhere and rightfully so. Trust me.

I don't know if this is thread worthy or not, But does any of you guys also have very low hopes for nintendo next console ?

I'm not talking about the console itself which we know nothing about except rumors and speculations, but it's more about the games.

I used to be a big nintendo fan, for me nintendo was playing with my brother.It was about dreamy adventures, some cool concepts over familiar games.

But the Wii U software output really disappointed me.Besides Bayonetta 2 none of their exclusives really clicked with me.

I know it's a personnal opinion and I know their not fundamentally bad games it's just that the nintendo magic isn't there anymore.

Did I grew too old for nintendo ?

I wanna know if some people experienced it too and if they are worried about the NX and the games it'll have?

You're not alone. There are tons of people who think that way, including me.

Currently, this is one of the darkest timelines for Nintendo. But don't worry, NX is just around the corner, it will hopefully deliver

That's your opinion. If 3D World 2 happens, there will be meltdowns everywhere and rightfully so. Trust me.

Currently, this is one of the darkest timelines for Nintendo. But don't worry, NX is just around the corner, it will hopefully deliver

Exactly my thoughts too.
Nothing wrong with 3D World and a sequel is welcome but only after they release a new 3D Mario that is completely different.

NX needs games that are different from what the Wii U had to offer. What else is the point of releasing a new system?

TheJoRu

I think they took the 3D Land/World style of gameplay as far as they could in 3D World, it's time for something new again. Games on NX need to differentiate themselves from what's on earlier platforms if they are to become system sellers (like Mario should be), otherwise you'll just end up with people on especially 3DS wondering why they should buy this game that looks like the one they already have, which was one of the issues with the Wii U library with a lot being HD instalments of games that otherwise looked a little too much like games from Wii or 3DS.

Kevin

I really wish we could get a spiritual successor to Super Mario 64 or a full on remake. Still my favorite Mario game. :(

jonno394

Exactly my thoughts too.
Nothing wrong with 3D World and a sequel is welcome but only after they release a new 3D Mario that is completely different.

Completely different? I thought people wanted Galaxy 3 or something like Mario 64? They're not completely different.

Damn Mario fans, never satisfied :p

Mario 64 is so bad by modern standards.

I love it for purely nostalgic reasons, it was one of the first games I really sank my teeth into as a child. I love it as the landmark of 3D game design it's rightfully recognized as.

But it's just boring and bad compared to everything Galaxy and onwards.

On that note, those poor souls who can't look behind 3D World's lack of bombast and see it as one of the finest platformers ever made.

Raiden

Banned
3D World is great but its ni Mario 64 or Galaxy. Also i might be in the minority but i would love a Sunshine 2. Of something with a hub world leading to bigger levels to explore.

Aldric

I would say it's the opposite. Galaxy and to a slightly lesser extent its sequel are closer to 64 and Sunshine than the 3D Land/World era of holding Y to run in a straight line without any real camera control, and on a strict time limit.

Meanwhile Galaxy keeps the mission structure of the first two in a lot of ways, which 3D Land and World entirely threw away.

At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter much since I think the weaksauce 3D Land/World type is the future 3D Mario we'll be getting. It's very risk adverse, so seems pretty Nintendo-like to me when it comes to their software nowadays.

lt's not what Miyamoto repeatedly stated. l know a lot of people think Miyamoto has lost it but l don't see why he would state time and time again that 3D World isn't the future of the series and that they might go back to the adventure style of the Galaxy games if the future installment on NX was 3D World 2.

This distinction is true in terms of categorizing the games based on functional aspects.

I would argue though that 64 and Sunshine belong in their own category for themselves, while Galaxy and 3D World are lumped together simply based on game feel. The former I feel are adventure games, especially given the open nature of the levels and the mission based star structure.

They're more like sandbox platformers too because you can tackle something in different ways whereas in the other two games the path is linear and usually there's only one "correct" solution to progress. This is compounded by the fact that powerups like the fire flower are time based in Galaxy, essentially this is made to prevent you from taking it to a section of the game that wasn't designed with it in mind. So the latter have levels that the designer intended for you to experience in a specific and predetermined way, while the SM64 style the gameplay is more freeform, you have much more power to choose your way through the game and how you experience it.

That's a mistake people often make while comparing the games, Galaxy has non linear objectives like 64, something even Sunshine lacks. There's a significant number of stars you can grab out of order, you select a mission, explore a bit, find a different path with an entirely different task given to you. That's classic 3D Mario gameplay and Galaxy has a significant amount of it. 3D World in comparison has none, being entirely linear, even moreso than classic sidescrollers.

Also your example about powerups and the way traversal is fixed by the developpers doesn't apply to Galaxy IMO. Timed powerups are used like in 64, in specific scenarios where you have to use them to bypass environmental obstacles. Most of the time though you can completely ignore powerups and clear the courses using Mario's special jumps only. ln fact if you watch Galaxy speedruns you'll see exactly that. ln comparison you need the cat suit in 3D World to do anything remotely interesting sequence breaking wise, and the no powerup runs are the saddest thing.

ecosse_011172

The only things correct here are the first-party ports and the ARM CPU, but the former has been confirmed by other sources and the latter is the only possibility other than NX not having an AMD-based APU.

When was this APU confirmation?

It seems that the APU will definite be from APU , it just depends on whether the CPU is x86 or ARM.

llehuty

They will be meltdowns ALWAYS with Marios, since thanbase is really splitted.

"Why is it not a Mario 64 spiritual sequel?"
"Why is it a Mario 64 spiritual sequel?"

I have faith, since the last "bad" (read, not fantastic) game was Sunshine.

To go to the topic. I'm really curious about the timing of the whole reveal.

javac

What if Mother 3 really gets localised on Wii U and they packaged the whole trilogy on disc for the NX at launch, that'd be so good. Mother 3 feels like a pipe dream.

Eolz

What if Mother 3 really gets localised on Wii U and they packaged the whole trilogy on disc for the NX at launch, that'd be so good. Mother 3 feels like a pipe dream.

There has been a lot of hints/rumors at it being finally localized this year.
Douvt it'll be in a package before a long time though, since it's still just virtual console.

They will be meltdowns ALWAYS with Marios, since thanbase is really splitted.

"Why is it not a Mario 64 spiritual sequel?"
"Why is it a Mario 64 spiritual sequel?"

I have faith, since the last "bad" (read, not fantastic) game was Sunshine.

To go to the topic. I'm really curious about the timing of the whole reveal.

Sunshine was fantastic. I liked it much more than 3D World

javac

There has been a lot of hints/rumors at it being finally localized this year.
Douvt it'll be in a package before a long time though, since it's still just virtual console.

I hope that it actually comes to fruition :) In regards to the physical version I guess I was thinking of something akin to the Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary package. Does the Mother series have any anniversary coming up? Could be convenient.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Sorry for the delay I oculdn't answer earlier.

I think I'm tired of hoping, I did this for this whole generation with the Wii U and now it's hard to hope for nintendo.And it's even harder to hope considering their recent declarations about mobile gaming.

Luckydog

So let me get this strait....MS mentions investigating hardware revisions but doesn't want to move in small increments, wants to make big moves...given the limited information and lack of leaks, people assume 2017 and nothing in 2016....

Nintendo has been very cagey with NX and has now targeted 2017 for release of the new system with no real data out there.....

Now here comes the totally out of my ass dream....Nintendo partners with MS on hardware to be released in 2017. MS brings the more powerful hardware and third party relationships, Nintendo brings their IP....Everyone buys one because you can now buy one system with great multiplats, halo/forza/gears/Nintendo IP's. PROFIT!

Indigo Rush

Neo Member
Forgive me if this was mentioned or is irrelevant, but a Mojang dev tweeted this earlier:

https://twitter.com/pgeuder/status/729566892353032192

Today, the day we finally get to know what Nintendo NX is!

The Mario Minecraft Mash-Up pack was announced shortly afterwards, so maybe this was just him trying to get our attention for that? Whatever the case is, the clock is ticking. He mentioned that this would be public in a later comment, so it's not just Mojang that gets to know, if we're to believe this.

https://twitter.com/pgeuder/status/729580494111821824

@Veldhuis94YT No need. it's not for me exclusively. It's on the interwebz.

So let me get this strait....MS mentions investigating hardware revisions but doesn't want to move in small increments, wants to make big moves...given the limited information and lack of leaks, people assume 2017 and nothing in 2016....

Nintendo has been very cagey with NX and has now targeted 2017 for release of the new system with no real data out there.....

Now here comes the totally out of my ass dream....Nintendo partners with MS on hardware to be released in 2017. MS brings the more powerful hardware and third party relationships, Nintendo brings their IP....Everyone buys one because you can now buy one system with great multiplats, halo/forza/gears/Nintendo IP's. PROFIT!

Why wouldn't Nintendo just go multiplatform so their games can appear on a console with twice the sales and a vastly stronger Japanese market?

Rodin

Forgive me if this was mentioned or is irrelevant, but a Mojang dev tweeted this earlier:

https://twitter.com/pgeuder/status/729566892353032192

The Mario Minecraft Mash-Up pack was announced shortly afterwards, so maybe this was just him trying to get our attention for that? Whatever the case is, the clock is ticking. He mentioned that this would be public in a later comment, so it's not just Mojang that gets to know, if we're to believe this.

https://twitter.com/pgeuder/status/729580494111821824
It's a joke based on the "NX will be revealed on may 9th" rumor.

Anyone been to 10K's twitter lately? He posted this rumor roundup..
https://nin10k.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/nx-rumor-roundup-megadump-year-1-lineup/
Apparently he isn't even trying to sound legit anymore. He should immediately block these "sources" instead of posting the horseshit they tell him.

Eolz

The not plausible thing is Nintendo spending money for a timed exclusive for it. Or Square rebooting Legacy of Kain.

Basically. He's adding his own speculation to it obviously, but nintendo would want as much an exclusive as it could, and it doesn't care (nobody does) about Legacy of Kain at all. And it's not like Square didn't try to reboot it already...

Luckydog

Why wouldn't Nintendo just go multiplatform so their games can appear on a console with twice the sales and a vastly stronger Japanese market?

Look, in no way do I think this is real, just a funny way to review the facts. However, they could focus on one piece of hardware so software quality doesn't suffer, plus they would enter the relationship in a much stronger position then they would with Sony who is far and away the sales leader so they would have more control over direction and quality of the platform.

Kurt

New mario would be sync in time as they said.
Its not going to be another 3d world. The developer was keeping more open world in mind. Miyamotto also talked about galaxy 3 for next gen is a possibility...
I think it will have both (open world galaxy style. More the design like mario kart 8)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Its not going to be another 3d world. The developer was keeping more open world in mind. Miyamotto also talked about galaxy 3 for next gen is a possibility...
I think it will have both (open world galaxy style. More the design like mario kart 8)

Is Galaxy considered open-world? The levels were mostly pretty linear and a lot of the environments, because of the planet system, are individually quite small (almost like the platforming equivalent of puzzle rooms). Of course, there are exceptions.

Personally, I love Galaxy, but I see it as halfway between Mario 64 and 3D World. Mario 64 feels super different to me (which I think is why I struggle to get into it).

I expect something either entirely new or Galaxy 3 for NX's first year.

Ansatz

I'm thinking there is a strong case for another 3D World type game as far as camera view, because same-screen multiplayer only works in this context and they probably value it highly. This gen's Nintendo has been all about sharing your experience with others and I think this factor will play an even bigger role on NX.

I don't get the hate for 3D World, the level design follows the same philosophy as Galaxy but without using any of the gravity effects. This was to be expected, I mean where do you even go after Galaxy? Multiplayer was the (indirect) answer, and it was a clever decision I think.

I also don't understand how people place 3D Marios in weird categories, Galaxy to me is a guided obstacle course (just like 3D World), while 64 is an exploration based sandbox platformer. The two are based on completely different design philosophies. Just think about the layout of the levels themselves, in Galaxy you have a sequence of mandatory obstacles where you have to complete part A in order to reach B, and when you put them together they are shaped like a stretched out corridor for the most part. In SM64 the shape of the levels are more like cubes and you can generally go to area B without going through A (i.e. non linear). It's hard for me to imagine when someone says the two games are similar.

Aldric

I'm thinking there is a strong case for another 3D World type game as far as camera view, because same-screen multiplayer only works in this context and they probably value it highly. This gen's Nintendo has been all about sharing your experience with others and I think this factor will play an even bigger role on NX.

I don't get the hate for 3D World, the level design follows the same philosophy as Galaxy but without using any of the gravity effects. This was to be expected, I mean where do you even go after Galaxy? Multiplayer was the (indirect) answer, and it was a clever decision I think.

I also don't understand how people place 3D Marios in weird categories, Galaxy to me is a guided obstacle course (just like 3D World), while 64 is an exploration based sandbox platformer. The two are based on completely different design philosophies. Just think about the layout of the levels themselves, in Galaxy you have a sequence of mandatory obstacles where you have to complete part A in order to reach B, and when you put them together they are shaped like a stretched out corridor for the most part. In SM64 the shape of the levels are more like cubes and you can generally go to area B without going through A (i.e. non linear). It's hard for me to imagine when someone says the two games are similar.

l don't get how you can say Galaxy is a precision platformer based on "obstacle courses" like 3D World. The only way they're similar is level progression, outside of that the things you do in the two games are completely different and l'm always amazed people can't seem to see this.

Take an "iconic" level like Gusty Garden: out of the dozen or so of planetoids that compose the Galaxy, only one has anything resembling precision platforming, ie a series of dexterity based challenges punished by death if you fail, the last part of the gravity scramble mission. Everything else is you running around planetoids where you can't fall off, solving simplistic environmental puzzles, having fun light interactions like riding wind currents using large flowers or turning a giant worm into a bridge between large apple planets and collecting stuff. Typical action-adventure type 3D Mario gameplay, just more streamlined than in 64.

And that's a level where level progression is similar to 3D World. What about the giant mountain in Freezeflame? Buoy Base? Deep Dark? How are any of these levels different from the sandbox-type courses of 64, and where are their equivalent in 3D World?

Kurt

It's not about the hate, the game is fine. But it's not wow. It's just that the leveldesign (visual) it's not as impressive as mario kart 8 is. I don't agree that the next mario will be focus on multiplayer. But we shall see.

3D World is incredible in its own way, I feel, rather than being 'inferior' to Galaxy or 64. It's a more traditional platformer compared to those, and honestly the perfect emulation of 2D Mario in 3D gameplay. 64 is its own unique setup but hasn't really aged well in many ways, while Galaxy is sort of in the middle but is still great in its own right.

Also, 3D World brought back SMB2's playable character roster and abilities in a 'proper' Mario platformer, which is awesome.

Really, 64 with 3D World's incredibly tight controls would probably be amazing.

Ansatz

l don't get how you can say Galaxy is a precision platformer based on "obstacle courses" like 3D World. The only way they're similar is level progression, outside of that the things you do in the two games are completely different and l'm always amazed people can't seem to see this.

Take an "iconic" level like Gusty Garden: out of the dozen or so of planetoids that compose the Galaxy, only one has anything resembling precision platforming, ie a series of dexterity based challenges punished by death if you fail, the last part of the gravity scramble mission. Everything else is you running around planetoids where you can't fall off, solving simplistic environmental puzzles, having fun light interactions like riding wind currents using large flowers or turning a giant worm into a bridge between large apple planets and collecting stuff. Typical action-adventure type 3D Mario gameplay, just more streamlined than in 64.

And that's a level where level progression is similar to 3D World. What about the giant mountain in Freezeflame? Buoy Base? Deep Dark? How are any of these levels different from the sandbox-type courses of 64, and where are their equivalent in 3D World?

I see the point you're making, that 3D World is closer to the 2D games due to precision platforming and Galaxy is more adventure-y.

In Gusty Garden you're placed in the middle of a planetoid, your objective is clear and you're forced to complete it in a specific way in order to progress. Thus the structure of Galaxy is similar to 3D World, but you're saying the content itself is what makes SMG closer to SM64.

In Galaxy what is asked from you is obvious, so the games are about the doing part. You're supposed to immediately understand what you need to do. Everything about the environment is convenient so that there is only one conclusion you can draw. In SM64 figuring out where to go and how to get there is what the game really is about, which ties into the whole exploration aspect.

In modern Mario games you only see this type of design in ghost houses or collectibles like star coins and stamps, but in Mario 64 the actual stars which you need to progress play the role of star coins. "a star is trapped in a cage right in front of you, but how do you get it?" vs "I learned from the tutorial that you chase rabbits in this game, so I probably have to do the same in this part". It's a different state of mind.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People are not comparing 3D World directly with Galaxy. What they are comparing is the transition from Galaxy to Galaxy 2 to 3D Land. Despite the two Galaxy game sharing the same name and look, there was clearly a different approach to the way the levels were structured in the sequel. Even with the very first level you could see the game was far "flatter" with plenty of edges to fall off.

Peltz

Nobody would buy a NX just to play a enhanced 3D World

I'd buy the shit out of that, but I understand what you're saying. Mario is not a one trick pony and it'd be a shame to relegate him to the 3D style of games.

Edit: (damn... top of the page... better post something cool and neogaffy....)

Kimishima's going to announce bombs this fall.
ceo4.jpg

(phew!)

Kurt

So the issue what i had with 3d world is the level design. You can have better looking games on the hardware. Imaging this:

mario_kart_8_wild_woods_course_trailer_hd920.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Damn that's a long wait. What is the power in this thing supposed to be? It will be 3.5 years post PS4/XB1 launch by then. If it's only marginally better, then they might be pulling a Wii-U again...

Regardless, I'll be there Nintendo. There's nothing else like a Nintendo game.

georly

Damn that's a long wait. What is the power in this thing supposed to be? It will be 3.5 years post PS4/XB1 launch by then. If it's only marginally better, then they might be pulling a Wii-U again...

Regardless, I'll be there Nintendo. There's nothing else like a Nintendo game.

Unlike Wii U vs 360, this is only 3.5 years later instead of 7. Lagging behind, just not by as much. Unless a miracle happens, it can't "win" the generation (if you care about that kind of thing), but it can still do alright and build up momentum for the future, especially if NX as a platform is just designed to be upgraded every few years (using the same architecture/infrastructure, like a PC or apple device).

I saw something interesting on Semi Accurate today. The details are unfortunately for subscribers only so I have no hard info to post. I've been reading Charlies' stuff for a long time, since before he created Semi Accurate, and he is usually pretty well-informed with his educated guesses on things before he publishes them.

The part that caught my attention is bolded below.

"It’s new console time again and SemiAccurate brings you news of Nintendo’s NX silicon. If you recall our past guesses were pretty spot on and this time should be the same. You might also recall we made some pretty surprising calls on the console silicon front too, and this one will probably make most of you pick your jaw off the floor."

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/05/12/guess-whos-silicon-is-in-nintendos-nx/

Most people have speculated an AMD APU will be powering the NX, so my interest is piqued by the jaw dropping part. AMD x64 silicon isn't jaw dropping to me. What could the jaw dropping part be referring to?

There is a forum thread at Semi Accurate where people make some interesting guesses, one being that Charlie isn't referring the CPU/GPU, but rather some other chip in the NX.

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9162

For those unfamiliar with Semi Accurate, some content is locked behind a paywall, which it turn prevents forums from discussing the content as well. The info will probably trickle out at some point, but until it does I shall be waiting, interest piqued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom