• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I saw something interesting on Semi Accurate today. The details are unfortunately for subscribers only so I have no hard info to post. I've been reading Charlies' stuff for a long time, since before he created Semi Accurate, and he is usually pretty well-informed with his educated guesses on things before he publishes them.

The part that caught my attention is bolded below.

"It’s new console time again and SemiAccurate brings you news of Nintendo’s NX silicon. If you recall our past guesses were pretty spot on and this time should be the same. You might also recall we made some pretty surprising calls on the console silicon front too, and this one will probably make most of you pick your jaw off the floor."

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/05/12/guess-whos-silicon-is-in-nintendos-nx/

Most people have speculated an AMD APU will be powering the NX, so my interest is piqued by the jaw dropping part. AMD x64 silicon isn't jaw dropping to me. What could the jaw dropping part be referring to?

There is a forum thread at Semi Accurate where people make some interesting guesses, one being that Charlie isn't referring the CPU/GPU, but rather some other chip in the NX.

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9162

For those unfamiliar with Semi Accurate, some content is locked behind a paywall, which it turn prevents forums from discussing the content as well. The info will probably trickle out at some point, but until it does I shall be waiting, interest piqued.
Thread worthy in my opinion.

QaaQer

I saw something interesting on Semi Accurate today. The details are unfortunately for subscribers only so I have no hard info to post. I've been reading Charlies' stuff for a long time, since before he created Semi Accurate, and he is usually pretty well-informed with his educated guesses on things before he publishes them.

The part that caught my attention is bolded below.

"It’s new console time again and SemiAccurate brings you news of Nintendo’s NX silicon. If you recall our past guesses were pretty spot on and this time should be the same. You might also recall we made some pretty surprising calls on the console silicon front too, and this one will probably make most of you pick your jaw off the floor."

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/05/12/guess-whos-silicon-is-in-nintendos-nx/

Most people have speculated an AMD APU will be powering the NX, so my interest is piqued by the jaw dropping part. AMD x64 silicon isn't jaw dropping to me. What could the jaw dropping part be referring to?

There is a forum thread at Semi Accurate where people make some interesting guesses, one being that Charlie isn't referring the CPU/GPU, but rather some other chip in the NX.

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9162

For those unfamiliar with Semi Accurate, some content is locked behind a paywall, which it turn prevents forums from discussing the content as well. The info will probably trickle out at some point, but until it does I shall be waiting, interest piqued.

haha, yeah such a tease...He did get the iterative ps4 upgrade path right back in 2013, so he has some good sources. Are there any rich, wasteful Nintendo fans here willing to pony up?

Rösti;203526786 said:
Thread worthy in my opinion.

No real info though.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
We should probably find out if it contains legitimately sourced info before we get too excited.
Yes, of course. I assume someone here has a SemiAccurate subscription and can provide additional details.

Eolz

Rösti;203527878 said:
Yes, of course. I assume someone here has a SemiAccurate subscription and can provide additional details.

Didn't someone had a sub during the WUST era? Doubt people get one outside of time periods like now.

ozfunghi

Wonder if it's "positive" or not.

Some comments:

Hu??? As a subscriber, picking up my jaw!
Agreed, W.O.W..
Ok boys, nothing to see here, please move on....
Assuming tags are here to mislead non-subscribers and seeing ARM being listed makes me sad
Who would be thought that in the end Apple will ally with Nintendo? Just imagine: two of the most rabid fanboy team together... Only nvidia is missing from that poisonous mix, to declare NX the greatest console of all times.
If it is the Apple A11, my jaw would drop indeed.
If it is Samsung Exynos, my jaw still would drop.
If it is AMD K12, my jaw would drop with a soft landing.
If it is AMD x86, my jaw would just open to smile.
If it is Nvidia Tegra, my jaw would open to cry.

If it is a Qualcomm SoC with a Nvidia GPU, I would use my jaw as a WiiMote

Source contains these tags if it says something.

<article id="post-38631" class="post-38631 post type-post status-publish format-standard has-post-thumbnail hentry category-finance category-graphics category-memory category-microprocessors category-mobile category-opinion tag-amd tag-apu tag-arm tag-chip tag-console tag-intc tag-komododragon tag-mediatek tag-nintendo tag-nx tag-qualcomm tag-semi-custom tag-semiaccurate tag-silicon tag-utoo">

Edit: It probably doesn't say anything meaningful/useful as most silicon suppliers are mentioned in there - sorry.

Those tags are at the bottom of the excerpt :p

Edit2: You are right and I'm a complete idiot lol

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
A huge image sensor chip by Sony? ;p

Harlock

Can't wait for the Pachter Factor 25 be on Youtube. Pachter comments how march/2017 is a squeeze date and the NX probably is not defined yet. What I agree, with the NX not even being show at e3. Nintendo should be defining a good amount of NX specs.

ozfunghi

Yes, but what does this mean ?

What does this all mean?

but-what-does-it-mean-o.gif

Interesting reaction, but what does it meaaaaan?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
While we wait for whatever Semi Accurate's article states (for the love of Kimishima, who is a subscriber of Semi Accurate in GAF), this is something that came up today in the latest Media Create sales thread

http://nippon1.co.jp/news/pdf/2016/20160513_3.pdf

Nippon Ichi mentions Steam, Playstation VR and NX in their financial results on Page 5 talking about future outlook for the next fiscal year.

Not sure if that's just them talking about changes in the overall industry or whether it's active support plans from a machine translation.

Skimmed it. Doesn't really say much. They acknowledge that in the consumer game space there are increasingly more PS4 titles and the PSVR launch this year is going to be the spotlight of the industry. They also acknowledge that both domestic and overseas publishers are releasing a lot of digital stuff on PC using Steam as the main platform. They are committed to releasing more titles on Steam, including their back catalog, via NISA. But with regards to other consoles, they said they're actively looking into supporting the next generation of hardware - both PSVR and the NX, but it doesn't sound like a firm commitment.

keep in mind this is my deciphering of machine translation.

-console market is shrinking, steam is increasing
-despite this, the next generation is starting with ps vr and nx
-packaged games will continue to be main source of revenue
(this is more of an overview of the market and their place in it)

in addition, they had the following plans:
-increase support for steam (mostly for overseas stuff)
-use nippon ichi vietnam for 3d tech tools
-have nis america bring over stuff like yomawari and criminal girls
-before the end of the fiscal year, release stuff like cladun sengoku and coven (and develop 'new masterpiece' in-house

revenue:
nis america: $24.6m (72.5% of total revenue - last year they were 62.7% of total revenue)
nippon ichi group: $33.9m

net income:
nis america: $2.6m
nippon ichi group: $2m

As duckroll said, it's not THAT much, but I didn't expect Nippon Ichi to be looking into working on NX. It doesn't mean they will surely develop for it, but it's more than what I thought. I started reading with Google Translate (which makes the task harder) older financial forecasts to see how they positioned themselves about recent consoles before their launches, I don't think I found that much so far. I'll have to give a better look tomorrow.

Thraktor

A huge image sensor chip by Sony? ;p

People complained that the Wii U gamepad's camera wasn't any good in low light, so they're using the sensor from the A7S this time around. People gotta be able to use that video chat feature in pitch black, damnit!

Seriously, though, without knowing the content of the article, this could be anything, there are lots of pieces of silicon in a games console. It could be RAM, NAND, a wireless chip, an image sensor, or maybe even an SoC. That being said, SemiAccurate is a much more reliable source for this kind of information than most sites posting these kinds of rumours, so if we can find out what he wrote it could well be thread worthy.

Eolz

While we wait for whatever Semi Accurate's article states (for the love of Kimishima, who is a subscriber of Semi Accurate in GAF), this is something that came up today in the latest Media Create sales thread

As duckroll said, it's not THAT much, but I didn't expect Nippon Ichi to be looking into working on NX. It doesn't mean they will surely develop for it, but it's more than what I thought. I started reading with Google Translate (which makes the task harder) older financial forecasts to see how they positioned themselves about recent consoles before their launches, I don't think I found that much so far. I'll have to give a better look tomorrow.

I think it helps that their latest releases haven't been selling as well as expected and vita/ps3 won't be viable forever. They're probably more interested in the next handheld anyway.

Mpl90

I'm serious.

Now that's two milliseconds, my friend! Keep on saying it and I'll believe you for one second!

Seriously now, do you have access to Semi Accurate's subscription in any way? I suppose you should prove this. Unless you're trying to play us like a damn fiddle XD

Seems like it may be talking about the handheld? No idea about the home console, but NVidia confirmed according to SemiAccurate. Nvidia's stance on console's was supposedly a cover for the fact that MS and Sony wouldn't let them in on negotiations after the previous console contracts.

Yes, this info is from the article.

Pokemaniac

Seems like it may be talking about the handheld? No idea about the home console, but NVidia confirmed according to SemiAccurate. Nvidia's stance on console's was supposedly a cover for the fact that MS and Sony wouldn't let them in on negotiations after the previous console contracts.

I'm surprised Nintendo is letting them in after their previous console contract.

ozfunghi

I'm serious.

YOU WERE THE MOLE who had the subscription in the WUSTs! lol

Seriously though... when you say "It's Tegra"... do you mean this is what will actually be in the NX (and you know this for a fact)... or do you mean this is what the article is implying? (EDIT: read your other post)

Also, Tegra for both home and handheld? Will there be an aditional GPU for the homeconsole? If not, what kind of performance are we looking at in the Tegra family atm?

Apparently, the loss of consoles was a huge blow to NVidia's pride behind the scenes, and the team were told to get a "win" or don't bother coming to work. Nintendo got a good price on the chips. And yes, this is for the handheld only.

Whoa. Tegra... Did anyone see that coming?

Wonder if they're going with Nvidia for console as well. I would have thought they'd go with AMD, to help with ports from the other consoles.

Mpl90

Apparently, the loss of consoles was a huge blow to NVidia behind the scenes, and the team were told to get a "win" or don't bother coming to work. Nintendo got a good price on the chips. And yes, this is for the handheld only.

Oh God, the handheld! People seemed to forget abo-
Wait a second! Wasn't Nvidia seemingly behind 3DS's chip at first? It seems this time things went well, then?

EDIT: I suppose this IS material for a new topic, but first: I believe Fourth Storm should give proofs to mods about his / her subscription, or the article itself, in order to be verified as much as possible...

Russ T

Banned
If someone could assuage my desire for knowledge and explain to me what the hell WUST refers to, I'd mighty appreciate it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Apparently, the loss of consoles was a huge blow to NVidia's pride behind the scenes, and the team were told to get a "win" or don't bother coming to work. Nintendo got a good price on the chips. And yes, this is for the handheld only.

Wouldn't that need to be also in the console for a shared library? Or is the shared library out of the picture now?

Oh God, the handheld! People seemed to forget abo-
Wait a second! Wasn't Nvidia seemingly behind 3DS's chip at first? It seems this time things went well, then?

According to one of the SA sources, NVidia may even be taking a net loss on this one after software, support, and the whole shebang are done with. Crazy.

ozfunghi

So... in your professional opinion, doctor, do you think it makes sense to have AMD in the home console and Tegra in the handheld? Now that they're trying to bring both closer together at Nintendo (home & handheld)? Or could it be like one poster in the S-A forum said, that maybe they will keep the same chip in the homeconsole (in able to play handheld games) but add a more beefy GPU on top, for home console games?

Or what are the odds to go for Tegra in the homeconsole, and are there Tegra chips potent enough to take on PS4?

Schnozberry

Tegra will be perfectly fine for the handheld. They could even make it work for a console if Nvidia was willing to experiment with adding more cores and gpu power to the SOC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom