• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NxGamer: Assassins Creed: Valhalla - Patch 1.04 Performance and Graphic Analysis - PS5 | SX | SS

So NX and VG have very different results for the same game?
And NX and DF have different results for the same Game?
Oh my.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Is it just me or does he seem to run in circles a lot on the SX version? Probably just a coincidence, it just seemed he kept more characters in view on average on the SX side. It must be hard to get like for like in a game like this while also attempting to stress the hardware.
As a SX owner, I told myself not to watch comparisons as I love my box and am happy with it, so what is the point.... Yet here I am!

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Everyone can kina shut up a little now..no?
tenor.gif

vpance

To be honest 720p on a 4tf state of the art gpu is a joke even if it is 60fps, the game doesn't even scream next gen or have any crazy amount of extra effects. Lots of versions is causing lots of the cross gen games to be disappointing.

He says even though it hits 720p it’s not as bad since it’s doing reconstruction, TAA and sharpening.

Personally I have doubts but I’d have to see it in person on XSS, which is likely never.

TLZ

Banned
Didn't we have a thread about this? Or was that another youtuber? I'm very confused. So many youtube comparison threads.

Is it just me or does he seem to run in circles a lot on the SX version? Probably just a coincidence, it just seemed he kept more characters in view on average on the SX side. It must be hard to get like for like in a game like this while also attempting to stress the hardware.
As a SX owner, I told myself not to watch comparisons as I love my box and am happy with it, so what is the point.... Yet here I am!

Sony Shill

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Such a rollercoaster with this game, omg, lmao.

So....patch installation bug for PS5? John did say PS5 didn't get messed up.

thelastword

Banned
To be honest 720p on a 4tf state of the art gpu is a joke even if it is 60fps, the game doesn't even scream next gen or have any crazy amount of extra effects. Lots of versions is causing lots of the cross gen games to be disappointing.
Weren't some people laughing at the PS4, a 7 year old console doing 720 60fps in a recent game on an old Jaguar CPU?.....Theses persons should be livid with XSS's performance then..

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yes the guys caught reading a script for their Gears 5 tech review are very neutral
Yes the guy who because of his rabid fan base wouldn't do videos of the first nextgen game because it was a Microsoft game. Call me when he puts up some pro Microsoft videos he had lots of opportunities with fs2020. Digital foundry kisses Sonys ass all the time see spiderman and souls videos on top of many more. They are still the only unbiased site who treats each with respect

Unknown?

Yes the guy who because of his rabid fan base wouldn't do videos of the first nextgen game because it was a Microsoft game. Call me when he puts up some pro Microsoft videos he had lots of opportunities with fs2020. Digital foundry kisses Sonys ass all the time see spiderman and souls videos on top of many more. They are still the only unbiased site who treats each with respect
They are biased but not biased. Got it.

thelastword

Banned
So better effects and LOD on PS5.....I think if this was reversed, a certain tech channel would be making it known as a huge gulf....Funny the silence and get ready for "it's pretty much the same" when they would pinpoint an extra leaf, a better texture in one part of an entire level or anything on the XBONEX that was better....Yet now, like for like is back in the dialogue...They can't see anything or too busy...

ethomaz

Banned
It is not even a fair comparison for Xbox anymore.

PS5 was downgraded with the new patch. IQ drop, resolution drop, performance drop and even so it continue having better IQ, better resolution and better performance than Series X.

Maybe next patch Ubisoft reach the bottom parity.

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

Good work NXG. Could you just clarify if the PS5 settings you mentioned (LoDs, alphas) were always this high or have they changed after this patch? I'm just trying to figure out why the tearing has gotten worse seemingly.

I've seen a few NXgamer vids now and I'm not impressed. Completely amateur and his Sony bias is on display for all to see.

But the real problem is with his analysis. They're just not very in depth. He TALKS a lot but doesn't SHOW you very much at all. I find myself watching the same scenes on repeat over and over again while listening to some guys opinions that aren't backed up with what's being shown in the video.

I do enjoy watching technical breakdowns and performance analysis so I hope NXgamer will improve with time, but as it stands right now his analysis just don't bring much to the table.

JonkyDonk

I've seen a few NXgamer vids now and I'm not impressed. Completely amateur and his Sony bias is on display for all to see.

But the real problem is with his analysis. They're just not very in depth. He TALKS a lot but doesn't SHOW you very much at all. I find myself watching the same scenes on repeat over and over again while listening to some guys opinions that aren't backed up with what's being shown in the video.

I do enjoy watching technical breakdowns and performance analysis so I hope NXgamer will improve with time, but as it stands right now his analysis just don't bring much to the table.
What are you talking about? His last two comparison vids were in depth and he showed a lot of good examples of what he was talking about. This one was just a quick update on something he already covered before. And this 'Sony bias' thing is utter nonsense. He likes Playstation games so what? Are you accusing him of making things up or tampering with the data? What proof do you have?

Last edited:

TJC

He works full time and is independent, can't put the hours in that DF can as that's they're full time gig. I think you're being unfair he's very good at getting to the point. Sometimes he doesn't break it down for the dummy's to understand but that's a them problem.

What are you talking about? His last two comparison vids were in depth and he showed a lot of good examples of what he was talking about. This one was just a quick update on something he already covered before. And this 'Sony bias' thing is utter nonsense. He likes Playstation games so what? Are you accusing him of making things up or tampering with the data? What proof do you have?

Whoa there, put the gun away. I'm not attacking him personally or accusing him of tampering with anything. You just made all that up out of thin air.

And as a PC gamer ( I don't own an Xbox ) who recently just started watching his vids, it's just obvious that he leans heavily towards Sony. And that's actually kind of a problem for someone in his position.

What I said is that I don't find his analysis to be very in depth. It's also heavy on opinion and light on fact. Or it may just be an issue with his style of editing. My advice would be to always SHOW the thing that you're talking about. This is a graphics analysis after all. I find it very off putting when what he's talking about is nowhere onscreen.

Last edited:
And as a PC gamer ( I don't own an Xbox ) who recently just started watching his vids, it's just obvious that he leans heavily towards Sony. And that's actually kind of a problem for someone in his position.

True. that’s also the reason why isn’t really considered Professional by MS nor Sony

MS and Sony approached DF, Mark Cerny even had an interview with DF. Not with NXGamer. And this is the reason.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The problem with this analysis is that it only covers a small beginning portion of the game. I understand why Michael couldn't do exhuasting testing again; he has a lot more stuff to do and doesn't have the time.

But if we look at a bigger sample size, it becomes apparent that Ubisoft has messed up the PS5 version.

Pre-patch, PS5 was holding 60 FPS 97% of the time (XSX was 87%). Now post-patch, PS5 is holding 60 FPS only 92% of the time (and XSX does it 96%).

They improved the XSX by lowering the average resolution (right call) and made it closer to PS5's pre-patch 97% frametime. But there was absolutely 0 reason to tweak and mess up the PS5 version. Now it drops frames and tears 250% more than XSX's version (previously it was 500% less than XSX).

Doesn't make any sense!

Last edited:
NXGamer NXGamer - could you please do a video on PC, XSX, PS5 in Quality mode vs. PC @ Ultra mode. I'd like to know if they are using the same fidelity in the shaders, LOD, lighting, etc..

See. Now THIS would be an in depth analysis. I'd love to see NXgamer attempt it. I get that he works and that this would be a much more involved video that he usually makes but it would be of real value.
That was something! 😂😂😂

Can anyone give me a TLDR of this vid? Can't stand the way he talks.

NXGamer

So better effects and LOD on PS5.....I think if this was reversed, a certain tech channel would be making it known as a huge gulf....Funny the silence and get ready for "it's pretty much the same" when they would pinpoint an extra leaf, a better texture in one part of an entire level or anything on the XBONEX that was better....Yet now, like for like is back in the dialogue...They can't see anything or too busy...

I think that the difference on this game in the visuals is very, very minor. I noticed far more in Cold War than this. Aside the small boost in Alpha spawn time and some minor LoD here (which as I say could be transitional). The performance between then was bigger at points but is very close now to be identical, if a minor dip in resolution is the key to that then great stuff.

Yeah, no, I guess you did not watch my Cold War video yesterday or my earlier AC video across all versions, or my Development videos, Hardware analysis of next gen consoles, SSD's etc etc.

I am glad you are "hoping" for me, can you throw a few prayers my way to, then I will see what I can do for ya Guvnor!

Don't really see the point of this video.. gets off the boat and does one fight encounter and makes a conclusion, atleast go to a few towns or some of the raids and see how it performs.

It is a like for like, small sample set as close as possible that I had analysed Prior to the patch. So in fact it is fully indicative of the delta as it removes as many variables as possible. Plus this is about 20% into the game not at that start which I saw elsewhere in this thread.

Adding in time of day, Dynamic crowds, weather etc etc can push things out to far and becomes more about the runs than the identical matches.

Good work NXG. Could you just clarify if the PS5 settings you mentioned (LoDs, alphas) were always this high or have they changed after this patch? I'm just trying to figure out why the tearing has gotten worse seemingly.

The Alpha's looked higher here but LoD looks the same. I cannot be 100% on these as so many things in games are dynamic like this and maybe I was luck here on PS5 to get so many. But the SX seemed shorter than before and lighter. The end result is almost no visible difference but better performance, so that is a positive patch in my opinion.

Schnozberry

The problem with this analysis is that it only covers a small beginning portion of the game. I understand why Michael couldn't do exhuasting testing again; he has a lot more stuff to do and doesn't have the time.

But if we look at a bigger sample size, it becomes apparent that Ubisoft has messed up the PS5 version.

Pre-patch, PS5 was holding 60 FPS 97% of the time (XSX was 87%). Now post-patch, PS5 is holding 60 FPS only 92% of the time (and XSX does it 96%).

They improved the XSX by lowering the average resolution (right call) and made it closer to PS5's pre-patch 97% frametime. But there was absolutely 0 reason to tweak and mess up the PS5 version. Now it drops frames and tears 250% more than XSX's version (previously it was 500% less than XSX).

Doesn't make any sense!

They'll probably get around to sorting the performance problems on both XSX and PS5 when it's time to sell DLC.

thelastword

Banned
Whoa there, put the gun away. I'm not attacking him personally or accusing him of tampering with anything. You just made all that up out of thin air.

What I said is that I don't find his analysis to be very in depth. It's also heavy on opinion and light on fact. Or it may just be an issue with his style of editing. My advice would be to always SHOW the thing that you're talking about. This is a graphics analysis after all. I find it very off putting when what he's talking about is nowhere onscreen.
I think you are explaining another tech channel precisely not NXgamer...If anything NXgamer shows you exactly what's happening on screen, unlike "XBOX version runs better" trust me dawg, without showing the 120Hz framerate mode or a blip.....

sircaw

Banned
Ok NXGamer NXGamer , I said to you a week ago, put more adverts in your videos as i don't mind helping you out in terms of watching a couple extra ads for you, but you have now gone too far, Last night when watching your new video, i had to sit through xbox ads of Cyberpunk ffs, I am a Sony fan damn you.

Just when i thought we were becoming family, you did this to me. "lollipop_disappointed:

This insult shall not be forgotten.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Lazy comparison, what is he testing here exactly cpu usage?

Go stand in a sewer with torch out in a city like lunden then call me back if that 60 fps stays stable.

oldergamer

I find it hard to believe that people are unaware that fixing bugs can either improve or lower performance. It depends on the issue that is being fixed.

If we are seeing lower performance on both consoles then you have a good indicator that the issues on both consoles is cpu related due to past games using the same open world, mission based, ai tracking multiple npcs, game engine. Or at the very least previous asscreed games have been cpu limited if i recall.

Still curious how improvement to both systems os software will impact game performance going forward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom