• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: Resident Evil 4: REmake - PS5, Xbox Series X, PC, Steam Deck Technical Review

Madflavor

We have already seen a few games using a lot of vram and the trend is to continue to increase, like it has always been.
You can whine all you want and call others as misinformed, but the reality is that games are increasing vram usage.

Is that under the assumption that you'll be running these games at max settings, including RT?

winjer

Gold Member
Is that under the assumption that you'll be running these games at max settings, including RT?

RT increases vram usage even further, as we are rendering more of the world with reflections, or have new buffers for global illumination, and the BVH structure, and more shaders.

In the case of RE4 demo, without RT, my GPU was using 12Gb in the village section. With RT it went to 14GB.
And the RT in this game isn't that demanding.

kingyala

Banned
RT increases vram usage even further, as we are rendering more of the world with reflections, or have new buffers for global illumination, and the BVH structure, and more shaders.

In the case of RE4 demo, without RT, my GPU was using 12Gb in the village section. With RT it went to 14GB.
the problem isnt about using more vram everybody expected games to increase memory usage as nextgen consoles came out and add that to the ssd's but i dont see where the extra vram is needed in this game like really what in this game needs 12gb when ue4 last 2 the order days gone killzone shadow fall ran on a ps4 with a max ram roof of 5.5 gb for games... this is why people are mad... i would understand a game like demon souls remake or ratchet and clank would need 12gb on average but weve seen shitty looking games like forspoken that has repeated textures and now this game with vilage corridors suffocating memory usage.. it just doesnt add up

Ev1L AuRoN

Using controller? There is a deadzone on the sticks. M+kb don't have this issue.
Yes using the xbox controller, I'll try KB+M but this is the sort of game that a like to play on a big screen so it's unlikely that I'll play the game on my desk (my PC is set next to my gaming TV.).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The thing is though that this seems like poor optimization instead. Theres no reason the current consoles should be struggling with these games at this point. If your gonna be buying a new pro console ever 2 - 3 years, may as well just buy a pc. Consoles will always be 30 fps machines, maybe 40 or 60 if really well optimized like horizon forbidden west. so long as companies target that things like iq should hold up just fine
You just said it yourself. Consoles are 30 fps machines. This game is targeting 60 fps even in its fidelity resolution mode with RT. Just look at Dead Space. Its 60 fps mode runs at 960p before being checkerboarded to 1440p.

Comparing it to HFW is not fair because HFW doesnt use RT which is really taxing on VRAM and VRAM bandwidth. And even then HFW's 40 fps mode drops resolution by half to 4kcb compared to native 4k in its 30 fps mode. Optimization isnt everything. You need better hardware. We dont know why the PS5 and XSX are struggling with 60 fps modes, but its so prevalent that we cannot just blame the devs all the time. Having a mid gen refresh will let devs target native 4k or 1800p 60 fps for games like this solving the performance issues for those of us who care about Image Quality.

Also, the game is definitely a noticeable upgrade over RE2 and even Village when it comes to fidelity.

Way better lighting, textures, and post processing effects.
But my brother in Christ, does it even look good?! This sort of screenshot looks like something with graphical complexity, from 360 era, just rendered out to screenshot level. Does it even use tessellation (look at those rocks)?. Am I going crazy or something? Where the fuck is the GPU power going to in this game.
?? It looks great. Last gen as fuck yes, but great nonetheless.

See above to see just how big of an upgrade it is over RE2 and Village. Village looks flat in comparison.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You just said it yourself. Consoles are 30 fps machines. This game is targeting 60 fps even in its fidelity resolution mode with RT. Just look at Dead Space. Its 60 fps mode runs at 960p before being checkerboarded to 1440p.

Comparing it to HFW is not fair because HFW doesnt use RT which is really taxing on VRAM and VRAM bandwidth. And even then HFW's 40 fps mode drops resolution by half to 4kcb compared to native 4k in its 30 fps mode. Optimization isnt everything. You need better hardware. We dont know why the PS5 and XSX are struggling with 60 fps modes, but its so prevalent that we cannot just blame the devs all the time. Having a mid gen refresh will let devs target native 4k or 1800p 60 fps for games like this solving the performance issues for those of us who care about Image Quality.

Also, the game is definitely a noticeable upgrade over RE2 and even Village when it comes to fidelity.

See above to see just how big of an upgrade it is over RE2 and Village. Village looks flat in comparison.

To my eyes it looks bad, I don't know. Like one game which really stood up for me with ugliness in recent times.

Umbasaborne

Banned

I just think that if you value performance to the point of upgrading your console to what might potentially be a 6-800 dollar box, why not just build, or buy a pc that will promise long term performance gains instead of doing that every few years. Like yes the ps5 pro will be more powerful, but will it still be able to match a rig with a 4080 or 90 in it, using the latest intel processors?

Yes its way more expensive. But it might be worth it to take the money youd spend on a pro console and put it towards saving for a good pc that will rappidly outpace the pro console

Last edited:

Banned
Yes using the xbox controller, I'll try KB+M but this is the sort of game that a like to play on a big screen so it's unlikely that I'll play the game on my desk (my PC is set next to my gaming TV.).

use steam's controller settings to emulate a mouse on the right stick. that will solve controller issues in the game.

Madflavor

Was that RT but with the rest of the settings turned up to max?

winjer

Gold Member
the problem isnt about using more vram everybody expected games to increase memory usage as nextgen consoles came out and add that to the ssd's but i dont see where the extra vram is needed in this game like really what in this game needs 12gb when ue4 last 2 the order days gone killzone shadow fall ran on a ps4 with a max ram roof of 5.5 gb for games... this is why people are mad... i would understand a game like demon souls remake or ratchet and clank would need 12gb on average but weve seen shitty looking games like forspoken that has repeated textures and now this game with vilage corridors suffocating memory usage.. it just doesnt add up

The dark art style of this game is not very good to show higher resolution textures. DF showed there are diferences, with the PC on max settings having higher texture resolution than consoles.
The other thing to consider is that the RE engine caches a lot of data to prevent stutters. Unlike UE4, that relies on it's streaming engine, but then has a ton of stutters from asset streaming. Not only from shader compilation.
Also, this is not the first game to struggle with GPUs with 8GB of vram. And it won't be the last.

Was that RT but with the rest of the settings turned up to max?

RT. Max settings. FSR2 Quality. 1440p. Motion blur, film grain and dof disabled.

SlimySnake

I just think that if you value performance to the point of upgrading your console to what might potentially be a 6-800 dollar box, why not just build a pc that will promise long term performance gains instead of doing that every few years. Like yes the ps5 pro will be more powerful, but will it still be able to match a rig with a 4080 or 90 in it, using the latest intel processors?
Well, yeah, thats exactly what I did and why im playing the demo at native 4k 60 fps on my 3080.

I am talking about everyone else in this thread who is complaining about the poor IQ in the PS5 version.

And when the PS4 Pro came out in 2016, Nvidia had the 11.5 tflops 1080 Ti already out. Thats basically equivalent to a 2080 in non-RT games which is equivalent to the PS5/XSX. And yet, the PS4 Pro was able to double the resolution of most PS4 games with just 4 tflops. You dont need to target a 55 tflops 7900 xtx when a 24 tflops 6950 xt will double the performance which is basically the point of a mid gen refresh.

You want to play Horizon at native 4k? well the PS5 Pro will double the resolution from 30 to 60 fps. You want to play Demon Souls at native 4k 60 fps instead of settling for 1440p 60 fps? Get a PS5 pro. For $600, thats still far cheaper than what a 3080 PC will cost you.

SlimySnake

Fuck. I didn't crank everything to max cause my 3080 is a 10gb, but considering the game looks last gen, that's wild.
My 10 GB 3080 gives me 60 fps with some rare drops into the mid 50s at native 4k. No FSR or interlaced upscaling.

I have almost every setting set maxed out. No RT, no hair, textures on 4GB high. Volumetric lighting at mid. Both because i honestly couldnt tell a difference in the settings preview.

at 1440p native, I average 110-120 fps with some rare drops to 95 fps.

Last edited:

Madflavor

My 10 GB 3080 gives me 60 fps with some rare drops into the mid 50s at native 4k. No FSR or interlaced upscaling.

I have almost every setting set maxed out. No RT, no hair, textures on 4GB high. Volumetric lighting at mid. Both because i honestly couldnt tell a difference in the settings preview.

at 1440p native, I average 110-120 fps with some rare drops to 95 fps.

That's similar to my experience, also have a 3080 10gb. Same settings as yours and with my 1440p it hovers between 110-120. May drop to 90-100 at the Village. VRam usage hovers between 5.5 - 6.5, until I get to the Village where it cranked up to 7.2gb.

Previously I ran the Demo with RT on High and had textures at 2GB to compensate, and the game ran just as smooth. But if I cranked everything to max, including RT on, yeah I'd be in the Red for sure.

I wonder if Winjer uses a 4k.

SlimySnake

That's similar to my experience, also have a 3080 10gb. Same settings as yours and with my 1440p it hovers between 110-120. May drop to 90-100 at the Village. VRam usage hovers between 5.5 - 6.5, until I get to the Village where it cranked up to 7.2gb.

Previously I ran the Demo with RT on High and had textures at 2GB to compensate, and the game ran just as smooth. But if I cranked everything to max, including RT on, yeah I'd be in the Red for sure.

I wonder if Winjer uses a 4k.
My tests with RT on at 1440p 120 fps were disastrous. down to 74 FPS during gameplay. In the final cutscene which is a locked 120 fps with RT off with 90% GPU usage was only 55 FPS with RT and hair on. Fuck that.

TBH, the 3080 has disappointed me. Gotham Knights had awful stutters in the RT mode that would literally freeze the game by running at 2-3 FPS every half an hour or so. Hogwarts with RT is straight up unplayable. RE3 was more or less ok but almost no difference for a massive performance hit. And now this. I didnt even bother buying Callisto because its RT performance was so bad.

At this point, im thinking i probably shouldve bought a 6950xt which is better at standard rasterization performance than the 3080 and has more VRAM. I literally havent played an RT game since Cyberpunk on this GPU.

Madflavor

Xbox: Bad Controls
PS5: Bad IQ
PC: Stutter

Pick your poison.

PC obviously.

The only one of those three I would consider to be an actual real hinderance on your enjoyment is the deadzone issue on Xbox. Depending on your playstyle for shooters, it could actually be gamebreaking.

kingyala

Banned
The dark art style of this game is not very good to show higher resolution textures. DF showed there are diferences, with the PC on max settings having higher texture resolution than consoles.
The other thing to consider is that the RE engine caches a lot of data to prevent stutters. Unlike UE4, that relies on it's streaming engine, but then has a ton of stutters from asset streaming. Not only from shader compilation.
Also, this is not the first game to struggle with GPUs with 8GB of vram. And it won't be the last.

RT. Max settings. FSR2 Quality. 1440p. Motion blur, film grain and dof disabled.
exactly so its a developer and design problem not a memory problem... what high res textures.... you can clearly see repeated textures and assets in this game theres literally nothing impressive here low poly assets and repeated textures are everywhere... people need to know where their memory budget is being taxed.. you cant make some cheap ass game with cheap assets and require 12gb when better looking games ran on 5.5 gb memory.. Heres demon souls vs re4 can you please show me why re4 needs 12gb of ram
PzKLyMM.jpg
28UD1MA.jpg

khhXZI1.jpg

Madflavor

My tests with RT on at 1440p 120 fps were disastrous. down to 74 FPS during gameplay. In the final cutscene which is a locked 120 fps with RT off with 90% GPU usage was only 55 FPS with RT and hair on. Fuck that.

TBH, the 3080 has disappointed me. Gotham Knights had awful stutters in the RT mode that would literally freeze the game by running at 2-3 FPS every half an hour or so. Hogwarts with RT is straight up unplayable. RE3 was more or less ok but almost no difference for a massive performance hit. And now this. I didnt even bother buying Callisto because its RT performance was so bad.

At this point, im thinking i probably shouldve bought a 6950xt which is better at standard rasterization performance than the 3080 and has more VRAM. I literally havent played an RT game since Cyberpunk on this GPU.

In 2020, my 3080 was a dream to have. But these days, it feels so weird that games really haven't gotten that much more graphically impressive, but the 3080 isn't completely crushing like it used to. But to your 2nd point, I'm wondering if that has more to do with poor optimization. Gotham Knights and Hogwarts Legacy don't look any better than Cyberpunk 2077 or RE8.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Good bless long cable and/or wireless mouse+kb. Fuck desks.

SlimySnake

In 2020, my 3080 was a dream to have. But these days, it feels so weird that games really haven't gotten that much more graphically impressive, but the 3080 isn't completely crushing like it used to. But to your 2nd point, I'm wondering if that has more to do with poor optimization. Gotham Knights and Hogwarts Legacy don't look any better than Cyberpunk 2077 or RE8.
It's definitely partly optimization. Ive been playing RT games since 2019. I know my resolution or FPS is going to cut in half if I turn on RT features. Metro, Control, Cyberpunk... I was willing to make that sacrifice. Some of the latest games though like Witcher 3, simply dropping resolution from 4k to 1440p isnt enough. The performance is still all over the place. Witcher 3 goes from 60 fps to mid 20s as soon as I enter the city. Thats 1/4th the performance I get with RT off. Hogwarts is so fucking bad that I drop to 1080p and it still isnt consistent with drops to 40 fps in hogsmead. Gotham Knights is straight up broken with those 2-3 fps periodic stutters. Im like fuck it.

DF was speculating that devs are coding RT on consoles first nowadays with PS5 being the lead platform. I dont know why they would unlearn everything they had learned on the RTX 20 series cards, but those first few games at least had consistent performance as long as you were willing to reduce the resolution. Nowadays, even that wont do.

winjer

Gold Member
exactly so its a developer and design problem not a memory problem... what high res textures.... you can clearly see repeated textures and assets in this game theres literally nothing impressive here low poly assets and repeated textures are everywhere... people need to know where their memory budget is being taxed.. you cant make some cheap ass game with cheap assets and require 12gb when better looking games ran on 5.5 gb memory.. Heres demon souls vs re4 can you please show me why re4 needs 12gb of ram
PzKLyMM.jpg
28UD1MA.jpg

khhXZI1.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, Demon Souls was launched only for the PS5, a console with 16GB of unified ram.
A couple of GB are used by the OS. But because it's a unified memory architecture, it doesn't have to duplicate data on 2 pools of memory, like on PC.
If that game was to be ported to PC it would probably also use a good chunk of vram.

I agree that RE4 remake does look worse. Capcom is probably caching the whole section the player is in.
The advantage is that the game has no stutters from asset streaming, during most of the area. Only when the player is entering a new area, does is stutter as it's loading the next part.

Madflavor

Yeah I should've said this earlier, but I haven't gotten any stutters on RE4R PC. Game runs totally fine, plays good too.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
If I'm not mistaken, Demon Souls was launched only for the PS5, a console with 16GB of unified ram.
A couple of GB are used by the OS. But because it's a unified memory architecture, it doesn't have to duplicate data on 2 pools of memory, like on PC.
If that game was to be ported to PC it would probably also use a good chunk of vram.

I agree that RE4 remake does look worse. Capcom is probably caching the whole section the player is in.
The advantage is that the game has no stutters from asset streaming, during most of the area. Only when the player is entering a new area, does is stutter as it's loading the next part.
yes demon souls is a ps5 game i could have chosen a ps4 game to do comparisons but anyhow this is completely a bad design and engine problem nothing to do with hardware...what is it caching because almost all games cache data this was explained by mark cerny on his talk on ps5 only a few games ustilize ssd's for streaming demon souls certainly does at this is totally justified in how it looks but resident evil 4 looks worse than ps4 games and requires 12gb.. even worse with tonnes of cheap and repeated assets.. and it works not only bad on pc but even on console nx gamer found streaming stutters.. its badly made games like this and forspoken that carelessly use resources that make people think their harware is the problem.. before you know it they are gonna release another shitty looking game that requires 32gb ram again and people will jump to claiming its raytracing or high res textures complete bs

winjer

Gold Member
yes demon souls is a ps5 game i could have chosen a ps4 game to do comparisons but anyhow this is completely a bad design and engine problem nothing to do with hardware...what is it caching because almost all games cache data this was explained by mark cerny on his talk on ps5 only a few games ustilize ssd's for streaming demon souls certainly does at this is totally justified in how it looks but resident evil 4 looks worse than ps4 games and requires 12gb.. even worse with tonnes of cheap and repeated assets.. and it works not only bad on pc but even on console nx gamer found streaming stutters.. its badly made games like this and forspoken that carelessly use resources that make people think their harware is the problem.. before you know it they are gonna release another shitty looking game that requires 32gb ram again and people will jump to claiming its raytracing or high res textures complete bs

Caching data in memory is orders of magnitude faster, than using the SSD. Both in terms of latency and in bandwidth.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
Caching data in memory is orders of magnitude faster, than using the SSD. Both in terms of latency and in bandwidth.
nobody asked whether ram or storage is faster i dont know why ur trying to explain this to me, the reason for direct storage or ps5 io is to stream data direct to memory where as on pc you could cache it on system memory and its why you need 32gb on average to run games that where designed for something like ps5 io... my question is why does re4 require 12gb when it looks worse than some ps4 games! and why does it run like shit on current gen consoles even when compared to demon souls that has not only even higher resolution assets, textures, dynamic gi, fluid particles and all this with no loading screens!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Crashing for lots of people when RT is enabled?
Who is "lots of people", cuz very little about that on steam.
If it was actually an issue Steam would be blowing up about it.

High VRAM usage?
What constitutes high VRAM usage?
And when does using 10GB of VRAM at 4K become just normal VRAM usage.
How much VRAM would you suppose is "normal VRAM usage" at 4K?

Games were using ~8GB of VRAM at 4K like 3 - 4 years ago.....are you expecting them to stay at ~8GB of VRAM forever??
vram.png

vram.png

vram.png

vram.png
It’s ok to use all vram. But these games don’t crash and re crashes the moment it goes out.
The demo 100% crashes in few spots if I have max and rt enabled. Disabling rt or lowering few settings somewhat help.
3080 10gb

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
nobody asked whether ram or storage is faster i dont know why ur trying to explain this to me, the reason for direct storage or ps5 io is to stream data direct to memory where as on pc you could cache it on system memory and its why you need 32gb on average to run games that where designed for something like ps5 io... my question is why does re4 require 12gb when it looks worse than some ps4 games! and why does it run like shit on current gen consoles even when compared to demon souls that has not only even higher resolution assets, textures, dynamic gi, fluid particles and all this with no loading screens!

You were talking about using the SSD for caching, so I explained that memory is much faster. That's it.
Now, why does RE4 looks worse than some last gen games, is something you should ask Capcom.

You insist on talking about Demon Souls, but that game would probably use as much vram, if it was ported for PC.

SlimySnake

It’s ok to use all vram. But these games don’t crash and re crashes the moment it goes out.
The demo 100% crashes in few spots if I have max and rt enabled. Disabling rt or lowering few settings somewhat help.
3080 10gb
Yeah the game crashed for me too as soon as I pushed the VRAM limit. NX Gamer was able to recreate the crash every time.

The RE engine lets you overload the VRAM but it can cause these crashes. I remember some of these in RE3.

solidus12

I don’t understand, didn’t DF say that PS5 reached a 1440p resolution in the demo?

NX gamer is covering the demo here isn’t he?

Banned
I don’t understand, didn’t DF say that PS5 reached a 1440p resolution in the demo?

NX gamer is covering the demo here isn’t he?

DF said they think it's a dynamic res that can drop to 1440p.

what seems to actually be the case is a bit less straightforward.
looking at the demo on PS5 makes it look like the reconstruction they use is broken on PS5. if you look at the verical resolution you almost always get 1944p, but if you look at the horizontal resolution you will find edges that look extremely low resolution in comparison.
and some other issues with some post processing effects that look low res also add to that confusing looking final image.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
You were talking about using the SSD for caching, so I explained that memory is much faster. That's it.
Now, why does RE4 looks worse than some last gen games, is something you should ask Capcom.

You insist on talking about Demon Souls, but that game would probably use as much vram, if it was ported for PC.
you didnt asnwer anything... ssd for caching was developed because games used alot of memory in caching data that wasnt needed on screen and instead faster ssd's and io technology make it possible for developers to use more of the ram they need for whats on screen and only streaming from storage what they required without loading screens this is why ssd's and io technology was massively improved on console this gen... pc's could always cache data on system ram because you can add whatever amount of ram on a pc where as consoles are closed systems... second im not insisting on demon souls i just asked you why does re4 look worse than ps4 games like the order and last of us 2 yet requires more than 12gb ram on pc... the reason im asking that is because its a badly designed and optimized game to require such amounts of memory to no visual correlation this is what pisses me off its devs carelessly using up memory without consideration if demon souls was made by capcom with re engine you would probably require 64gb ram then.

winjer

Gold Member
you didnt asnwer anything... ssd for caching was developed because games used alot of memory in caching data that wasnt needed on screen and instead faster ssd's and io technology make it possible for developers to use more of the ram they need for whats on screen and only streaming from storage what they required without loading screens this is why ssd's and io technology was massively improved on console this gen... pc's could always cache data on system ram because you can add whatever amount of ram on a pc where as consoles are closed systems... second im not insisting on demon souls i just asked you why does re4 look worse than ps4 games like the order and last of us 2 yet requires more than 12gb ram on pc... the reason im asking that is because its a badly designed and optimized game to require such amounts of memory to no visual correlation this is what pisses me off its devs carelessly using up memory without consideration if demon souls was made by capcom with re engine you would probably require 64gb ram then.

I'm having trouble understand you, because of the lack of punctuation and capitalization.
You are right about PCs having more memory and using it to cache data.
But caching data on physical media has been done many times before, just more slowly.
Previous gen consoles would cache data on the HDD, as this was much faster than the BluRay or DVD drive.
The SSD does the same concept, but much faster than any HDD.

Now on PC, if we can cache more things on vram, it will be faster than getting that same data from ram or the SSD.
This is one of the reasons why UE4 games stutter so much.

You keep insisting on comparing Demon Souls with RE4 remake. If you look at the texture resolution, they are probably similar.
The issue is the rest of the game, such lighting, geometry, art style, etc.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah the game crashed for me too as soon as I pushed the VRAM limit. NX Gamer was able to recreate the crash every time.

The RE engine lets you overload the VRAM but it can cause these crashes. I remember some of these in RE3.
re2 and re3 do the same after RT patches.
Strangely, Village never does that for me

kingyala

Banned
I'm having trouble understand you, because of the lack of punctuation and capitalization.
You are right about PCs having more memory and using it to cache data.
But caching data on physical media has been done many times before, just more slowly.
Previous gen consoles would cache data on the HDD, as this was much faster than the BluRay or DVD drive.
The SSD does the same concept, but much faster than any HDD.

Now on PC, if we can cache more things on vram, it will be faster than getting that same data from ram or the SSD.
This is one of the reasons why UE4 games stutter so much.

You keep insisting on comparing Demon Souls with RE4 remake. If you look at the texture resolution, they are probably similar.
The issue is the rest of the game, such lighting, geometry, art style, etc.
jesus u keep repeating what ive said and twisting the argument without actually answering any questions i feel like im replying to a repeat machine, ue4 games stutter because of shader compilation not becuase of vram caching and pc's dont cache data on vram they cache it on system ram and i didnt just compare to demon souls as you are insisting ive told you there are ps4 games that look better than this game and have far more on screen than this game but run on 5.5gb memory the question was why does this mediocre looking game require 12gb memory! for what exactly?

winjer

Gold Member
jesus u keep repeating what ive said and twisting the argument without actually answering any questions i feel like im replying to a repeat machine, ue4 games stutter because of shader compilation not becuase of vram caching and pc's dont cache data on vram they cache it on system ram and i didnt just compare to demon souls as you are insisting ive told you there are ps4 games that look better than this game and have far more on screen than this game but run on 5.5gb memory the question was why does this mediocre looking game require 12gb memory! for what exactly?

UE4 doesn't stutter only because of shader compilation, it also stutters from asset streaming. You can test this yourself, by running a game first, let it compile shaders on runtime. Then run the same level again, with the shaders already compiled, and you still get stutters, but now from asset streaming.
This is common knowledge for anyone that plays on PC.

And yes, PCs cache data in the vram. UE4 is an example of this.
Here is the command to set the percentage of the streaming cache into the vram, default is one GB: r.Streaming.PoolSize.VRAMPercentageClamp
Here is the command to set the streaming cache only to vram: r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM

yamaci17

just reduce texture resolution/pool size, problem is solved, in most cases. newer texture resolution/pool settings are geared towards 12-16 gb. if you dont give them to do something, they also became a waste. even with reduced texture poolsize (from 5000 mb to 3000 mb; ultra to high [the old low] ), hogwarts legacy will load most important textures in high quality at all times from short distance to midrange distance. maybe at long distance you may notice some texture oddities but that is to be expected.

you can see how people even here despite being cleary instructions on how their VRAM is filled are adamant on trying to use higher texture cache setting. even a cheap 6700xt/3060 has 12 gig memory, and that unused memory is just wasted memory. they can freely up the texture poolsize. if you think benefits coming from there outweights the benefits coming from the raster+raytracing capabilities of 3080, you can always switch to an AMD counterpart, like 6700xt/6800xt etc.

if you want to hold on to it, you gotta understand/accept that max texture settings nowadays won't be tailored for 10 GB budget. devs will see there are tons of 12-16 GB cards and they will tailor new ultra texture settings for those. hogwarts legacy is one such case. outside of texture resolution, 3080/3070 and stuff still actually crushes stuff, as long as you maintain and stay within the boundaries of your VRAM usage. however you also really need to keep your system clean, and turn off most background software since Chrome, Spotify, Firefox and the like also uses certain amount of VRAM for hardware accerelation. this is why 12 gb 4070ti sucks. (you can disable hardware accerelation on some of these software. I do for my 3070. it really helps with VRAM bound %1s and in most cases lets me use higher quality texture settings. steam+chrome+discord trio can take up to 1-1.5 GB of VRAM alone. this is why 16 GB should've been the baseline for 4070/4070ti. Limited VRAM also means limited multitasking, unless you want to push them to CPU rendering like me and accept using them in a laggy-CPU-rendered state

only reason 16 GB was unused between 2020-2022 is because NVIDIA practically forced a clamp on most games and devs had to make sure to not breach 10 GB buffer with "ultra" settings. Now, they don't have any such obligations or "clamp" since 16 GB 4080 is a thing.

it was fun for 3080 users to mock 6800xt users and their unused 6-8 GB VRAM in most games in that timeline. now that will change. change can be amazing. just let people enjoy the capabiltiies of their higher VRAM buffer.

you can use a 3.5-4 GB card and play all PS4 ports (spiderman, gow, hzd) with medium textures that is used on PS4. but cards like 1060 with 6 GB buffer could use an extra 2 GB to cache more textures or maybe a bit more detailed textures here and there.

it is not the end of the world really. it is just extra flex and capability. a 980 has similar power to 1060 but has to use PS4 textures whereas 1060 can exceed that. it is how stuff works.

nowadays of course, we will have 8 GB 4060/4060ti that will regress from 12 GB 3060.

in the end, every 80 card is destined to be a midrange 60 tier card in 2 years. if you can't handle that, just keep on with 60 cards instead and save urself money (aside from the horribel value that is 4060). thankfully 4060 will be so bad that 3080 will perform along the 4070 for another 2 years. however after that, it will be glorifed rtx 5050ti competitor instead. that really does not take anything away from 3080, but you really have to humble yourself at times.

oh also, 3080's vram practically limits it to PS5 texture fidelity in upcoming games. so you cannot expect more than what you bargained for on that front as well.

Last edited:
Why does everyone keep saying this? The 24.5 tflops 6950xt was their 300 watt card on 7. Their 5nm 52 tflops chip is the same 300 watt tdp. They can easily get 2x more graphics power for the ps5 pro if they target 6950xt specs and don’t skimp on the vram upgrade.

It will cost $599 minimum but someone said they will ship it without the bluray drive and charge $99 for it so they will definitely make profit on day one.

The key is not to make the same mistake they made with the ps4 pro.

Rofif is a diehard "we don't need no Pro" which I find weird because graphics and performance matter to him too.

For those of you guys thY are against a Pro model because the idea if having to buy another console annoys you. Just trade in your ps5 to gamestop. You'll get close to $300 for it and you'll only have to spend $350 after tax.

Even if you refuse to upgrade, which we'll all upgrade anyway, it won't affect you in any way. Ps4 games still performed like ps4 games.

this is why i said this game isnt really taxing the hardware its just a badly optimized mess theres just no way a game like last of us 2 ran on a ps4 and this game drops to 30's on a series x and crashes on a pc with 32gb ram and all the iq problems on ps5, but people naively jump to say its a hardware limitation... without context

Doesn't really matter because games will ALWAYS BE poorly optimized. Forspoken, Gotham knights, this etc. Some games are properly optimized though and STILL can't hit a solid 40 fps in fidelity mode- Last of Us part 1, a Naughty Dog game. These consoles obviously don't have enough power to account for devs poor optimization. Companies are looking to take shortcuts and push games out prematurely while simultaneously targeting the current PC's and those factors are only increasing.

I kinda agree and don't agree at the same time in terms of this games lighting compared to Village. I found Villages lighting to be exceptional, especially when you're in the actual village areas and going in amd out of houses. The way the light came in and bounced around the room as well as how it was occluded by objects, with objects having good material quality, was really impressive

Top Bottom