• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NXGamer] Sony Pulse 3D headset: Hardware Review

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Personally, it was very uncomfortable for me. Replaced them with an Arctis 7p set and they are much better.

The are more expensive of course.

Yea, they are much better than Sony's recent stuff.

I had a pair of Sony Golds that I liked a lot, they died and I got Sony Platinums and they were noticeably worse than the Golds.

Steelseries has the best product for around $150 imo.

That is one nasty $20 looking thing. I wouldn't even know where to start listing all the failures with this design before even hearing how bad it sounds.

Here's a reference of how a headphone should look like.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yea, they are much better than Sony's recent stuff.

I had a pair of Sony Golds that I liked a lot, they died and I got Sony Platinums and they were noticeably worse than the Golds.

Steelseries has the best product for around $150 imo.
Most overrated headset ever the arctis

Bo_Hazem

Banned
And isn't latency when using that BT solution much higher than using the Pulse 3D or any other wifi headset?

Yes it should be much higher, but the answer is: is it noticeable enough? I would rather use the XM3/4 wired to the DS as it already has a RealTek audio chip with bluetooth 5.1 and should provide more than enough quality.

Topher

Gold Member
Yes it should be much higher, but the answer is: is it noticeable enough? I would rather use the XM3/4 wired to the DS as it already has a RealTek audio chip with bluetooth 5.1 and should provide more than enough quality.

So what's the difference in the controller using bluetooth and using a bluetooth adapter? Even if wired to the controller, the audio is being transmitted across bluetooth so doesn't that incorporate any BT disadvantages?

Also, I've noticed disruption in audio with both PS5 and XSX when using direct connect audio such as wired to controller or Xbox wireless connection. It is as if the audio is competing with resources as it used the same connection as the controller. These issues don't happen when using a dedicated BT adapter or headset dongle.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So what's the difference in the controller using bluetooth and using a bluetooth adapter? Even if wired to the controller, the audio is being transmitted across bluetooth so doesn't that incorporate any BT disadvantages?

Also, I've noticed disruption in audio with both PS5 and XSX when using direct connect audio such as wired to controller or Xbox wireless connection. It is as if the audio is competing with resources as it used the same connection as the controller. These issues don't happen when using a dedicated BT adapter or headset dongle.

Haven't noticed that myself but could be other BT devices around you are disturbing it. I have zero idea about XSX but I don't think it's using bluetooth 5.1 but an older version (4.2) and here's the difference:

bluetooth-comparoson-chart.png

Personally with the very rare occasions that the Pulse 3D went dead due to playing more than 12-13 hours with no real breaks (recharges) I had zero issues nor noticed a difference sound quality despite BT 5.1 being inferior to 2.4GHz but most likely the RealTek audio chip inside the DualSense helps with it and the new BT being more efficient.

Topher

Gold Member
Haven't noticed that myself but could be other BT devices around you are disturbing it. I have zero idea about XSX but I don't think it's using bluetooth 5.1 but an older version (4.2) and here's the difference:

bluetooth-comparoson-chart.png

Personally with the very rare occasions that the Pulse 3D went dead due to playing more than 12-13 hours with no real breaks (recharges) I had zero issues nor noticed a difference sound quality despite BT 5.1 being inferior to 2.4GHz but most likely the RealTek audio chip inside the DualSense helps with it and the new BT being more efficient.

XSX doesn't use BT for audio. They have their own proprietary wireless. Could just be an issue with my XSX, but I decided to stick with a headset with dongle and that fixes the issue.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
XSX doesn't use BT for audio. They have their own proprietary wireless. Could just be an issue with my XSX, but I decided to stick with a headset with dongle and that fixes the issue.

I'm referring to both controllers using 3.5 aux, wired headsets.

Arioco

Yes, you're right. 🤔 Even if you use a headset wired to the controller you're using the BT connection of the Dualsense, so what's the difference between that and using a dedicated BT adapter? It should have the same downsides compared to a WiFi headset, right?

Thanks for your answer. Yes, you're right, the question is whether it's noticeable enough or not, I guess. So in your experience the XM3/4 wired to the Dualsense provides a better audio experience than the Pulse 3D? And if you wire a headset to the Dualsense, does that headset consume the Dualsense battery or it depends on whether it has its own battery or not? I'm asking because the Dualsense battery doesn't last as long as I'd like already, if plugging a device decreases even more its battery life...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thanks for your answer. Yes, you're right, the question is whether it's noticeable enough or not, I guess. So in your experience the XM3/4 wired to the Dualsense provides a better audio experience than the Pulse 3D? And if you wire a headset to the Dualsense, does that headset consume the Dualsense battery or it depends on whether it has its own battery or not? I'm asking because the Dualsense battery doesn't last as long as I'd like already, if plugging a device decreases even more its battery life...

You're welcome, mate. Sadly, I don't own either XM3/4 but Astro A40 + Pulse 3D. From what I've experienced 3D audio is still working perfectly even with cheap stereo headphones, and I can't tell if XM3/4 would sound better for "gaming". Pulse 3D to me sounds just perfect and should make you happy unless you're buying the XM3/4, which I thought of myself, for music and willing to use it for gaming as well then go for it.

Arioco

You're welcome, mate. Sadly, I don't own either XM3/4 but Astro A40 + Pulse 3D. From what I've experienced 3D audio is still working perfectly even with cheap stereo headphones, and I can't tell if XM3/4 would sound better for "gaming". Pulse 3D to me sounds just perfect and should make you happy unless you're buying the XM3/4, which I thought of myself, for music and willing to use it for gaming as well then go for it.

Thanks dude. I already have the Pulse 3D headset (haven't used it a lot yet to be honest, but I'm more than happy with it), I was just curious to know how it compares to a high end BT headset like the XM3/4. I have a a BT headset but it's a 30 euro SONY headset, I don't think they are in the same league as the XM3/4, which costs 10 times more. 😂 Besides, my BT headset (Sony WH-CH 510) cannot be wired to the Dualsense (it lacks the jack port) . They sound pretty decent for that price though. I bought it just because I couldn't find a way to connect the Pulse 3D to my TV (LG CX), so I'm force to use 2 different headsets, one for the PS5 and another for the TV. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks dude. I already have the Pulse 3D headset (haven't used it a lot yet to be honest, but I'm more than happy with it), I was just curious to know how it compares to a high end BT headset like the XM3/4. I have a a BT headset but it's a 30 euro SONY headset, I don't think they are in the same league as the XM3/4, which costs 10 times more. 😂 Besides, my BT headset (Sony WH-CH 510) cannot be wired to the Dualsense (it lacks the jack port) . They sound pretty decent for that price though. I bought it just because I couldn't find a way to connect the Pulse 3D to my TV (LG CX), so I'm force to use 2 different headsets, one for the PS5 and another for the TV. 🤷‍♂️
Xm3 and 4 don't sound great for the price, but they are top for noise cancelling. If you don't require noise cancelling there is bound to be better options.

Topher

Gold Member
I will repeat this again.

Any bluetooth headset will not be as good sound quality wise as a native headset using a 2.4GHz signal to pass audio from the console to the headset.

Bluetooth is a lossy format, so the XM4 with a bluetooth dongle will cap out sound quality wise when matched with the pulses or any other 2.4ghz band headset.

So even though the build quality is better, the sound profile may be better you will be feeding them with a vastly inferior sound signal.

You would be better off using a 3.5mm adaptor with the XM4 plugged into your controller as that does use 2.4ghz signal to connect to the PS5 natively which also sends audio.

I need to backtrack some of what I said previously. I have a pair of Sony XM2s that I have used in the past and those cannot use the 3.5mm when powered on. I made the mistake of assuming that was the case with XM4s but that isn't so. So when I tried the XM4s without power and going entirely from the 3.5mm then the quality was just not there, as I said. However, when I powered them on a tried the 3.5mm then it was much improved. And yeah, wired to the controller was slightly better than using the BT adapter. Was BT "vastly inferior"? No, not at all, but I did want to point out my error.

Having used Pulse in the past, I still prefer the BT option with these headsets as they just sound better, but there are probably better options for wireless to get the full sound quality using 2.4Ghz than using BT. So in that regard, you were right.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I actually use a 10 meter 3.5 male to female extensions then with a separator to have 2 headphones on the bed with the madam ;) . Old school, I know, but I think it's the only way, also seems Sony TV's seem to guarantee 3.5 aux inputs from what I've experienced. It's great when you have a kid sleeping or if the movie/series might have some sudden erotic sounds that might be embarrassing if you live with others (major family) at home.

I need to backtrack some of what I said previously. I have a pair of Sony XM2s that I have used in the past and those cannot use the 3.5mm when powered on. I made the mistake of assuming that was the case with XM4s but that isn't so. So when I tried the XM4s without power and going entirely from the 3.5mm then the quality was just not there, as I said. However, when I powered them on a tried the 3.5mm then it was much improved. And yeah, wired to the controller was slightly better than using the BT adapter. Was BT "vastly inferior"? No, not at all, but I did want to point out my error.

Having used Pulse in the past, I still prefer the BT option with these headsets as they just sound better, but there are probably better options for wireless to get the full sound quality using 2.4Ghz than using BT. So in that regard, you were right.

I'm looking forward into getting the Sony MDR-Z1R but it's just too expensive ($2000-1800)

So I'll settle for the classic MDR-7506 or for what it seems the modernized version of it the MDR-1AM2:

For audio monitoring on set and while editing videos. I bet all of them would sound great for music as well and probably gaming? Not sure. Could use the TV wire instead which will make the TV more or less the amplifier and doubt it'll have any 3D as I've tested before, not sure now.

Last edited:
I liked the Pulse 3D headset that released with the PS4 at the time, except for the material of the earcups. IT's that 'fake leather' that over time kind of dissolves into little flakes. I think it's the same material for this one. But you can buy replacements for not too much, so there's that..

I have some Beyer BT headphones that without plugging into a decent DAC/amp you would never know the difference between bt and cabled
Edit
I meant to add that the controller probably doesn't power them well. Try a little headphone amp between controller and headphones and I bet they will sound much better off.
Second edit
I have a little portable topping amp that was 60$ that will power hd600's fine so I bet it will work on most mid-range cans

Last edited:

TrebleShot

No worries mate I don’t mind being wrong and told so , but good to know I wasn’t going mad and got it all wrong lol

Top Bottom