• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times interview: Switch best first 2-day sales in NA for any Nintendo system ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eolz

From Nick Wingfield, starting from this tweet:
https://twitter.com/nickwingfield/status/838871984293359616
1. Update on Nintendo Switch sales I'll break into a multi-tweet. This from an intvw with Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of Amer. Pres
2. Fri-Sat sales for Nintendo Switch exceeded first 2-day sales in Americas for any system in Nintendo history. Next biggest was Wii.
3. This is particularly notable given that Switch launched in March, rather than holidays
4. Zelda for Nintendo Switch the best selling standalone launch title (i.e. not a bundled game a la Wii Sports) in Nintendo history...
5. ...beating Super Mario for N64
6. Long term comparisons to Wii, which sold more than 100 m LTD, are tough. But good start for Switch, with big games coming.

Hope it's not old and that the title is clear enough (no room for Zelda numbers).
Good launch!

2b8.gif

I'm treating this thing like the Vita and buying any software for it that I'm even REMOTELY interested in. Can't wait for 2K, FIFA, Skyrim, Dark Souls, etc.

I'm 40 years old and have all the systems plus a gaming pc and I'm going to probably play this thing more than all my other stuff combined.

Madame M

Banned
What news do you expect from a commie rag? You know they are only publishing pro Nintendo material because of all the RED in Nintendo's marketing lately! Open your eyes, sheeple!

liquidtmd

Banned
That info is about as useful as the people who said Xbox outsold ps4 because their local store had x amount of each.

I hear you but...That anecdote rings true for me also.

It means sod all because many other metrics are at play, but I've seen Switches in multiple locations I can buy right now.

When Wii launched? Lol. From day one, gold dust.

Still sounding very positive and good for Switch. We NEED Nintendo to stay relevant and producing good stuff.

Tuck

So does this mean to suggest... Nintendo *isn't* doomed?!

Shall we set the timer back once more?
No. Launch stats mean very little. How it performs in the next few months will determine how doomed Nintendo is (on a scale from very doomed to super doomed)

Bizzquik

Launch has never been the issue for Nintendo; the diehard fans are there. Always.

Its three or four months out that usually tells whether a Nintendo system is a hit with the masses or just niche.

SiDCrAzY

Good start. I need more games on this thing, I can't believe how much I love playing in handheld mode. Feels great in my hand.

Launch has never been the issue for Nintendo; the diehard fans are there. Always.

Its three or four months out that usually tells whether a Nintendo system is a hit with the masses or just niche.

Yeah, but this surpasses any Nintendo launch in company history. So the Switch topping every other launch when launches "have never been the issue for Nintendo" is very impressive.

Crocodile

It's a marathon, not a sprint but good start nonetheless

Still, if is did so well, how come Nintendo hasn't put out a press release?

ngower

Pre-order cancelled. Bloodborne was robbed.

Good on Nintendo. Now it's up to them to keep this up through the year with first party sales, lure in more third parties and quickly ameliorate the scenarios where people's Switches are faulty.

RedAssedApe

Banned
makes sense seeing as how you couldn't find a wii anywhere. sounds like they actually have healthy stock available at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom