• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times: Sony is in "the fight for its life"

GopherD

-Sell the film studio
-Shut down the music bit, because FUCK ME record labels are dumb (actually with One Direction hitting it huge this would be idiotic at the moment but like shut most of your labels ffs)
-Stop releasing portable hardware that isn't laptops, morons, no-one likes your mp3 players
-Focus on TVs, gaming and laptops, because that shit works
Shit no. Services delivery is becoming huge so why get out of movies and music, especially after the EMI acquisitions and signing of bands like 1D. They just need to make it profitable. They absolutely need to exit low end tv for a start.

The gaming side is safe and all this talk of exitting is absolute garbage.

Replicant

Ew. If Sony ever leaves gaming, I'm not sure if I'd play console games again. Neither of its competitors offer the kind of eclectic gaming that Sony tends to dish out.

I wish they'd stop with stupid inventions like Move and just focus on what they're good at, delivering games.

Who helped out with GT5? Who is helping out with TLG?

That has more to do with how SCEJ works. As you noted SCEA's studios work somewhat collaboratively, as does SCEE overall I think.

I'm not sure what you're expecting from largely independently run studios under the SCE WWS banner.

They're sourcing the same single quote from Hirai. His comment about 3 years implies return on investment into the project in 3 years. The cost of goods will reduce dramatically - they're essentially modified off the shelf components afaik.

Implications were that the PSV "business" (hardware, software, accessories) will operate at a profit.

Elios83

In the latest presentation made by Hirai, dated April 12 it's clearly said that:
"PS3/PSVita and peripheral business generating steady profit"

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/strategy2012/pdf/presenE.pdf
slide 15

Sony's gaming division is in a healthy position at this point after the difficult years of PS3 launch.
Future consoles will be engeneered using outsourced components, focusing on innovation and a profitable business model.

entremet

Ew. If Sony ever leaves gaming, I'm not sure if I'd play console games again. Neither of its competitors offer the kind of eclectic gaming that Sony tends to dish out.

I wish they'd stop with stupid inventions like Move and just focus on what they're good at, delivering games.

Seriously? It would suck but gaming will be fine. Besides if you want diversity go the PC Gaming route.

I am a PS3 only owner and owned a PS2 over an Xbox last gen and, frankly, I have no problem with Sony dropping out of the console race.

Sony is long past its relevance.. I would define their first-party, western offerings as "dudebro-lite", lacking their own identity, and I believe it in the best interest of the industry to move towards a standard console solution.

The only problem I foresee is Japan, but look how badly PS3 has done there and it makes it hard to justify bothering with another high end console. I don't think the Japanese market could support it nor its publishers or developers.

Go home, Sony.

Replicant

Seriously? It would suck but gaming will be fine. Besides if you want diversity go the PC Gaming route.

Seriously. The good thing about Sony is that it tends to have collections of weird-ass games from US and Japan on top of the usual AAA games. As well as the niche RPGs that other consoles or PC never get like the Atelier series, for example.

Really? Pound for pound I'm pretty sure the 360 ended up with the most weird/eclectic games this generation. And PC, of course.

I love my PS3 but thinking back, the only niche exclusive titles I played were Noby Noby Boy, Valkyria Chronicles, 3D Dot Game Heroes (which wasn't even that great), and Demon's Souls.

The 360 and Wii seemed to have a much bigger share of offbeat stuff, at least from what was visible to me.

GopherD

I am a PS3 only owner and owned a PS2 over an Xbox last gen and, frankly, I have no problem with Sony dropping out of the console race.

Sony is long past its relevance.. I would define their first-party, western offerings as "dudebro-lite", lacking their own identity, and I believe it in the best interest of the industry to move towards a standard console solution.

The only problem I foresee is Japan, but look how badly PS3 has done there and it makes it hard to justify bothering with another high end console. I don't think the Japanese market could support it nor its publishers or developers.

Go home, Sony.
There are simply not enough SMHs in the world for this post.

They need to make playstation the center of their business. Get rid of handhelds and focus on Suite instead. I guess they do well on cameras and laptops so keep those. Not much can be done about TV other than investing in CLED, that entire market is screwed.

I love my PS3 but thinking back, the only niche exclusive titles I played were Noby Noby Boy, Valkyria Chronicles, 3D Dot Game Heroes (which wasn't even that great), and Demon's Souls.

The 360 and Wii seemed to have a much bigger share of offbeat stuff, at least from what was visible to me.

This is missing a ton of Sony's offbeat stuff -- Journey, Flower, Pixel Junk games, etc.

Replicant

Really? Pound for pound I'm pretty sure the 360 ended up with the most weird/eclectic games this generation. And PC, of course.

Well, you don't look around that much. SIREN, Patapon, LocoRoco, Journey, Flower, Pixeljunk games along with various niche RPGs are exactly why I stick with PS3 instead of buying 360 or Wii.

That's what you get for killing sega!

Mouhahaha

This is fucking stupid. SEGA's demise was mostly due to mismanagement and from the look of things, lack of support from their so-called loyal fans. Were were you when Yakuza 3 and 4 need your support? Were were you when Binary Domain need people to buy it?

I like my PS3 because of all the exclusives that Sony announces year round and most of them are perfectly intertwined with my tastes. I would definitely like Sony to stay in the game and I believe they will. If all else fails, they will become purely video game focused like the big N.

Well, you don't look around that much.

Chill, I wasn't trying to start a fanboy chest-beating contest. I was just pointing out that the 360 has definitely expanded its horizons since the first Xbox.

SIREN, Patapon, LocoRoco, Journey, Flower, along with various niche RPGs are exactly why I stick with PS3 instead of buying 360 or Wii.

As I mentioned above, I wasn't really thinking of downloadables.

How the heck did sony fall so low? At one time the sony branded tv was a symbol of quality.
Brands essentially mean nothing in flat-panel TVs these days. Business models that work under monopolistic competition don't work in a commoditized market.

Same thing has happened to a lot of other TV makers.

Cheech

To even claim that the Vita is repeating the same mistakes is just flat out wrong.

Proprietary storage device, competitively mis-priced hardware, lack of compelling exclusive content... it all points to a gross misjudgment of the marketplace. The sales of the device reflect this.

Sony is making money in the gaming division, but Vita is never going to be a major contributer unless they change strategy.

Brofist

Well, you don't look around that much. SIREN, Patapon, LocoRoco, Journey, Flower, Pixeljunk games along with various niche RPGs are exactly why I stick with PS3 instead of buying 360 or Wii.

This is fucking stupid. SEGA's demise was mostly due to mismanagement and from the look of things, lack of support from their so-called loyal fans. Were were you when Yakuza 3 and 4 need your support? Were were you when Binary Domain need people to buy it?

A handful of niche games is the reason you'd quit gaming?

If you played games outside of Sony's garden you'd probably find a ton of quirky similar titles. Especially on the PC.

Replicant

As I mentioned above, I wasn't really thinking of downloadables.

The last time I check SIREN is available as disc game, so are Patapon, LocoRoco, and various RPGs like Atelier Meruru, Disgaea, Neptunia, Yakuza 3/4, etc.

A handful of niche games is the reason you'd quit gaming?

If you played games outside of Sony's garden you'd probably find a ton of quirky similar titles. Especially on the PC.

Here in Australia, there's a limited amount of PC titles you can get. Aside from AAA titles, there aren't many stores that sell PC games. I suppose I can go through Steam but I can't afford to download games because most ISP here limit our bandwidth to 50GB per month. Especially not when the game is as big as 5GB. And I didn't know you can get JRPGs on PC.

Proprietary storage device, competitively mis-priced hardware, lack of compelling exclusive content... it all points to a gross misjudgment of the marketplace. The sales of the device reflect this.

Sony is making money in the gaming division, but Vita is never going to be a major contributer unless they change strategy.

The problems with Vita are that there is hardly a market left for such a device and whatever audience remains has been snatched up by Nintendo.

Price is accessible. You might not think it's worth it, but that doesn't mean we are talking about $599 ps3 all of a sudden.

Proprietary storage is a minor problem because of high costs, but gamers have shown time and again that they don't give a shit about proprietary stuff. Also, ps3 uses completely nonproprietary storage so the comparison on that front doesn't even make sense.

I don't think proprietary storage is a mistake of the PS3. Their most successful gaming products used proprietary storage.

At the same time the PSV shows a marked shift in product design philosophy - easy to develop for - hardware side collaboration with the software side; developing for a target price point (even if that was too high for the market after the 3DS); using relatively off the shelf components instead of sinking R&D money into unorthodox architecture.

Erethian

Well they did get it right with choosing more off the shelf components and foregoing a slow, power-hungry media format.

But yeah in terms of how they are positioning the system to the consumer, and its price, it's the same as the PSP. Except with worse third-party support.

IMO sony shouldn't go for a mass market television set. They should cut most of that division and just keep a high end tv.
Make it 100 inches. Include glassesless 3D. Have all of those smart tv features. Have a cool name, not a single letter name like Sony tablet s or whatever. Bravia is a good name. Release only one new model every year and price it at $5000. Sure it's expensive but I'm pretty sure it Sony will get its name of luxury and quality back along with a few buyers who can show off their new TV set.

Edit: oh and add 4k resolution. This will blow peoples minds.

Cheech

The problems with Vita are that there is hardly a market left for such a device and whatever audience remains has been snatched up by Nintendo.

Price is accessible. You might not think it's worth it, but that doesn't mean we are talking about $599 ps3 all of a sudden.

Proprietary storage is a minor problem because of high costs, but gamers have shown time and again that they don't give a shit about proprietary stuff. Also, ps3 uses completely nonproprietary storage so the comparison on that front doesn't even make sense.

The bare minimum price of entry on a Vita is exactly $100 more than a 3DS if you get the smallest memory card IIRC. On the 3DS, you get heavy hitters developed by Nintendo's AAA studios. On Vita, you get comparatively subpar experiences.

And all this assumes you give a shit about console quality handheld gaming on the go. The vast majority of people are quite happy gaming on smartphones.

So yes, there's no market for Vita, which continues Sony's streak of gross negligence. PS3, Move, PSP Go, letting exclusive devs take them for a ride (GT5, Lair, etc.)... Sony has not had a bona fide, well thought out hit since the PS2. Twelve years ago. And this is not just in their gaming division, their other divisions go back much further. Look up the "Walkman Z" if you want a hearty laugh at what Sony thinks its customers are looking for in a portable music device. And that is a NEW product.

guek

Banned
Vita's problem is that it's trying to be more than a "toy." But "toy" shouldn't be a pejorative term. I really don't think there's any room for a high end, luxury handheld gaming device. iOS gaming is seen as a tiny convenient time wasters and nintendo's handhelds are luxury toys aimed at younger demographics but a fancy toy nonetheless. The vita aims to be so much more, and while some people find that to be very noble, it's a fool's errand. Vita's target demographic would rather do their high quality gaming in front of a large HD television and their handheld gaming via cheap disposable mobile games which they have with them at all times already. This is the 18-29 demographic...why do they need a vita when they already have much cheaper games on their phones??

Conversely, nintendo finds much more success because they target the 7-18 demographic, and kids fucking love mario :p

Cheech

I don't think proprietary storage is a mistake of the PS3. Their most successful gaming products used proprietary storage.

At the same time the PSV shows a marked shift in product design philosophy - easy to develop for - hardware side collaboration with the software side; developing for a target price point (even if that was too high for the market after the 3DS); using relatively off the shelf components instead of sinking R&D money into unorthodox architecture.

As far as proprietary storage successes, I'm curious as to what you think these are. Betamax, DAT, Minidisc, ATRAC, Memory Stick, UMD were all bona fide shitbombs. Some of these found limited success in the pro markets, but again, it was a gross misjudgment of the marketplace. Initially, Sony wanted these formats in every home.

The PS2 used proprietary memory, true, but it was $20 and was all the storage you needed for years. The smallest unit of storage on a Vita is essentially useless.

Yes, Sony using off the shelf components in Vita was a good thing, assuming the dev tools (hilariously late) are up to snuff. However, they got the big thing wrong first, and that's a marketplace for their new device. The rest of it is rendered essentially moot as a result.

Go home, Sony.

I disagree on so many levels. Sony isn't perfect with video games, but right now I'd say they're the best.

PS3 doesn't have proprietary memory. Anyone can use an off the shelf laptop hard drive and put it in their PS3. If anything, Vita having proprietary memory is exactly the opposite approach of the PS3 and may end up allowing them to recoup some costs like Microsoft does with their hard drives that are proprietary.

Vita isn't competitively mis-priced to a large degree. $250 isn't break-the-bank expensive like the PS3 was. But more importantly, they're not losing massive amounts (hundreds of dollars) on Vita hardware like the PS3 was. That's more important than how competitively its priced relative to their competition.

Lack of compelling software may be true right now for the mainstream, but for core gamers (who Sony is aiming for right now) their launch lineup is demonstrably better than either the 360 or PS3 had by a long shot.

I think there are huge issues with the Vita in terms of being a big success for Sony, but at the same time there's not much risk in the Vita causing catastrophic losses for them either. At worst, the division manages to just sort of coast along breaking even, but not really providing much cash flow to the company's business.

There's a huge market for them if they embrace smartphones once they become powerful enough. If Sony is smart, they could potentially turn every smart phone into a Vita for the negligible price of a controller, and use that huge audience to sell software.

They are absolutely insane if they do not take this window of opportunity to do that.

That has more to do with how SCEJ works. As you noted SCEA's studios work somewhat collaboratively, as does SCEE overall I think.

I'm not sure what you're expecting from largely independently run studios under the SCE WWS banner.

That was exactly the point. They are under the SCE banner but don't collaborate. SCEA studios do, but they should be collaborating across borders. I think GG shared some tech with other studios but for example someone at Sony should have gotten one of the SCEE studios to work on GT since it seems PD are incapable of doing a competent job.

Top Bottom