• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF '16 Meetup #$2.75: The calm before the New York Comic Con storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

brace-yourself-a-storm-is-coming.jpg
It's been several months since the last meetup where folks got a kick out of playing The Resistance and Jenga. My hair has gotten significantly longer since then. With September marks the end of the summer, the stresses of tests, projects, and homework is out in full swing for the college kids, and fall approaches as the sunsets earlier and earlier. What a perfect time then to organize a GAF meetup than a week before the behemoth that is New York Comic Con? Let' me be honest in stating that I think it's going to be next to impossible to organize a meetup during that that weekend given how much of a royal pain in the ass it's been in the past thanks in part to how awful cell phone reception is at the Javits Center. If anything, this is a perfect opportunity to form a party for said con for folks who managed to get tickets and will be going.

You might be wondering why has it taken so long to organize a meetup Jhoan (neé Jipan)? The answer is because I mentioned way back in February that I wanted to take a break from it (read: life happened) and was happy to entertain smaller meetups. Suffice to say, it's worked out pretty damn well since the NYC GAF thread (see the link below) has served as a base of operations for smaller meetups and discussions.

This *might* be the last big meetup of the year before it gets cold and winter daylight savings kicks in so treat it as such. Although there's possibly room for one more meetup in December assuming folks haven't caught the Final Fantasy XV fever by then and/or some folks are participating in the GAF Secret Santa but that can be discussed another time after this one is said and done.

That being said, on this edition join us for beers and plenty of other shenanigans at Brooklyn Brewery as the initial starting point of a long night of bar crawling with Pokemon Go peppered in (thanks to Penguin for the idea). If you don't drink/like beer, then it's totally fine as there will be another venue for everyone else to gather at once we figure out where that second place will be'; it may or may not be in Williamsburg or Manhattan. Fedoras and moustaches optional; A Metrocard with at least $2.75 in it is mandatory. ;)

Date: September 24th, 2016
Place: Brooklyn Brewery initially; The Commodore* for everyone else arriving later (thanks to Lulubop for the suggestion).
Fun fact: It's right across the street from the Vice news building.
Time: 5:00pm (17:00) for early birds until the brewery closes at 8PM; 8:30pm (20:30) for everyone else at The Commodore.
Beer? Beer.

*A note to The Commodore only party: Feel free get there earlier than the suggested time to grab a few tables before the Brooklyn Brewery party arrives.

Here's the map of the plan:

dfy8p7x.png

Meetup FAQ

How long have these things been around?
See the OP here for a documented list of all the NYC GAF meet ups to date: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...51&postcount=1

But I’m not a social butterfly and prefer to stay home to x activity. Strangers are weird.
“Do not be too timid or too unsure about your actions. All life is an experiment.” Yeah, we don’t know you and have never met but if you want to get over that, the best way to do it is to go out and socialize. We were all strangers at some point before we met.

I’m banned and/or stopped posting. Can I still come out?
The more, the merrier so feel free to show up!

How many people typically come out?
Typically 10-25 people; it consists of regulars and new comers. We've had GAF members visiting the city from abroad come out and join us as well. If you’re not a fan of big groups, like GAF itself, those big groups split up into smaller groups of discussion so no worries.

How long do these meetups last? Do you peeps always meetup at one location or move around the city?
In a nutshell, they go as long as they want so long as there's still a party left long after many people bail. The first location is the jump off point to other places once a decent party shows up. We've usually ended up in White Castle or walking several blocks north through the city during the wee hours of the night.

Do I have to drink to be cool with you all?
Nobody will pressure you to drink so if it’s water or soda you want, more power to you. But if you drink, make sure you keep an eye on how much you consume because we preferably want you to get home safe. A couple of GAF members have been unfortunate victims of muggings after we parted ways from past meetups.

But I’m poor and I’m trying to be frugal! Rent isn't cheap you know!
We all have bills to pay and are willing to take some of our time to meet up; one night out isn’t going to kill your budget. If anything, someone will buy you a drink and/or share food.

Oh no! It's too cold/hot to be outside! You guys are crazy!
Dress accordingly then. While weather is something to keep an eye on, it's not a factor so the show must go on.

What if I want to play the latest hot video game that came out?
Turn off your console/PC, bring your portable gaming device, and let’s play something with multiplayer.

This is going to be really awkward isn’t it?
It’s only awkward if you make it awkward for yourself. You’re welcome to bring name tags or get creative.

Where I can go air out my grievances about how expensive NYC is when there isn’t a meetup?
The NYC GAF OT. :)

Attendance:

Makai
JadedWriter
Lulubop
GK86 (maybe)
davidwhangchoi
~Devil Trigger~
Zombine (maybe)
xkramz (maybe)
Crayons
NYCmetsfan
Penguin (maybe)
JawBreaker
Coolhandleek
Pau/Karkador
Alcotholic (maybe)
Pandora012 (maybe)
BkMogul
Pein
kooplar (maybe)
Seven Force (maybe)
Crayons

Jhoan

too late, its here

4fb5e630-f335-0132-f3dc-0e18518aac2f.gif

I missed you at this month's Drink N Draw NYC! Hopefully I'll see you at next month's DND since I had a ton of fun and loved the atmosphere so I will be back. I've seen that you've been busy with sketching and more projects since you've been killing it on Instagram since I follow you.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I missed you at this month's Drink N Draw NYC! Hopefully I'll see you at next month's DND since I had a ton of fun and loved the atmosphere so I will be back. I've seen that you've been busy with sketching and more projects since you've been killing it on Instagram.

yea, I went to Atlanta that week, i'll be there

Jhoan

Crayons said:
I'll probably go!

I like playing the resistance. I'm assuming someone else will bring it, but if not, I can.
Go for it! I'll probably bring my Gwent set since I haven't had a reason to open it/play with some people yet. Also have a game called Lascaux that I got at PAX
Dammit, the time in my life when I got some money and free time and I have plans already.

Maybe next time GAF.

Ah so you finally turned 21 eh? Well no biggie as you're welcome to give a heads up as to the next time you're going to be in town. Hopefully I'm not too busy then.

Damerman

I'd like to attend. this is my first time doing something like this. I'm a little nervous lol. Plans might come up for that saturday, but brooklyn is where i hang out anyways.

I'd like to attend. this is my first time doing something like this. I'm a little nervous lol. Plans might come up for that saturday, but brooklyn is where i hang out anyways.
I was nervous the first time but people are chill. Ive been to a few now. It's fun.

Penguin

Also a tip from last meet-up is apparently to carry around a picture of your avatar. More people recognize that then screen names

Jhoan

Mully said:
It's the night before a 7AM flight to Guatemala. I'm probably not going to be able to make it.
I understand you've been a very busy man this year. I'd like to catch up with you another time since I missed you at PAX East this year. Ideally before it gets really cold. If you can, try come in early and leave early without getting drinking too much ideally. Then again, I understand too well the anxiety that comes the night before traveling.

We can get the best fried chicken in nyc at the commodore afterward

Here's the Yelp page for reference: https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-commodore-brooklyn

It sounds like a pretty solid place so unless anyone has any other suggestions for the second place, I'll tentatively throw this place into the OP.

Speaking of friend chicken places, my old English professor took me to this Korean restaurant in Korea Way not named Bonchon that he swore is the best fried chicken joint in the city. I believe the place was called K-Town and the wings were pretty damn good!

Here's the Yelp page for reference: https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-commodore-brooklyn

It sounds like a pretty solid place so unless anyone has any other suggestions for the second place, I'll tentatively throw this place into the OP.

Speaking of friend chicken places, my old English professor took me to this Korean restaurant in Korea Way not named Bonchon that he swore is the best fried chicken joint in the city. I believe the place was called K-Town and the wings were pretty damn good!

the biscuits look good =) i want!

Jhoan

Do they only serve fried chicken? I'm not about that life anymore.
Yes they do. Feel free to check out the link for anything that catches your eye.

The OP has been updated with the second place, a map, an earlier time for those who plan to The Commodore, and with the latest attendees/fence sitters.

Yes they do. Feel free to check out the link for anything that catches your eye.

The OP has been updated with the second place, a map, an earlier time for those who plan to The Commodore, and with the latest attendees/fence sitters.
Thanks. Chicken tacos sound good enough.

Jhoan

is there any $1 pizza around =)
2 Bros is the best dollar slice of all the imitators that came after it but alas, dollar pizza places doesn't extend into Brooklyn. Since it's Williamsburg. expect pizza places there to be a bit pricier than in a pizzeria place in Manhattan.
put me down for 75% for sure going.
It is done. By the way, I'm meeting up with a Dominican illustrator at his studio in Brooklyn tomorrow to seek some artistic advice and have him look at my portfolio. I'm a bit nervous but I'm excited to meet him nonetheless after looking at his website and reading his bio. I have to shoot a message to the girl who I met that recommended him to me and thank her.

Mully

I understand you've been a very busy man this year. I'd like to catch up with you another time since I missed you at PAX East this year. Ideally before it gets really cold. If you can, try come in early and leave early without getting drinking too much ideally. Then again, I understand too well the anxiety that comes the night before traveling.

I'll see if I can stop by and grab some dinner with y'all after work. No hard drinking for me. Gotta keep straight with my diet. I gotta make it an early night to pack and get some rest. I'll text you.

BkMogul

I'd definitely like to attend. Will see how things are that weekend. Any old guys like me going (early 30's)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom