• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF '16 Meetup #$2.75: The calm before the New York Comic Con storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

krae_man

Ooh, I think I can make that work.

WWE cancelled the NXT show I was going to go to so I'm free now.

Just gotta see if the money works.

Any couches I can sleep on?

Penguin

I'd definitely like to attend. Will see how things are that weekend. Any old guys like me going (early 30's)?

31... gawd you age so fast

Speaking of time flying by... I'm now a maybe. It's homecoming weekend for University and a few friends are planning on going... may tag along.

Jhoan

krae_man
Ooh, I think I can make that work.

WWE cancelled the NXT show I was going to go to so I'm free now.

Just gotta see if the money works.

Any couches I can sleep on?
I'm jelly of the lifetime Square Enix games pass that you got in PAX West. I need to make it a goal to attend PAX West next year. I heard Central Park has a nice comfy bench to sleep on. :D /s

kooplar said:
I just moved to nyc a week ago. I might go if I feel adventureous enough by then :)
Wow! Welcome! Feel free to pop into the NYC GAF thread to ask any questions or post any thoughts about suspicious ATMs everywhere, Times Square, and pizza not named Sbarro. We're like the Stone Cutters but less clandestine and cooler. Hazing ceremonies here consist of playing games and losing like a champ. Awkwardly checking GAF on your phone is optional.

I haven't updated the OP but will do so now. All you 30 somethings who think that you're old need to understand that 30 is the new 20. My brothers are 30 and 31 for reference and don't age for some odd reason.

That being said, Keep it coming folks! The weather has been fantastic lately so hopefully it stays that way. I love that middle of the road fall-like/summer weather with the cool breeze in the night because screw the humidity.

Malo

Banned
Always thought of going to one of these, but work and other things usually got in the way. I might be able to make this one.

krae_man

I'm jelly of the lifetime Square Enix games pass that you got in PAX West. I need to make it a goal to attend PAX West next year. I heard Central Park has a nice comfy bench to sleep on. :D /s

Now that I think about it, I probably need to pass this time. I'm going to Portland Retro Gaming Expo next month and That's enough travel for a short period of time.

I'm very excited about that prize. I can't wait to get my first care package. SE said they are going all out next year with Final Fantasy's 30th Anniversary. Wouldn't surprise me if they gave away the same prize at the FF30th anniversary Panel.

Plus the Chocobo Uber and whatnot was awesome.

Now that I think about it, I probably need to pass this time. I'm going to Portland Retro Gaming Expo next month and That's enough travel for a short period of time.

I'm very excited about that prize. I can't wait to get my first care package. SE said they are going all out next year with Final Fantasy's 30th Anniversary. Wouldn't surprise me if they gave away the same prize at the FF30th anniversary Panel.

Oh retro gaming is awesome. That's where I spend all my time on GAF in retro threads

Jhoan

Malo said:
Always thought of going to one of these, but work and other things usually got in the way. I might be able to make this one.
I just realized that you shortened your name. If it's any incentive to come out, there's a few countrymen among us including yours truly and a certain Old School GAF Head. ;)

I just looked up how to get there lol it's going to take me over an hour. What time is this thing ending?
No real end time; it goes until whenever the last remaining party decides to call it a night. Sometimes it's been 2AM; other times it's been 4AM; I've gotten home at 6AM-ish a few times. People will drop in and out throughout the night so feel free to bail whenever you want if you know have a long trek home ahead.

No worries! I know the feel on travel fatigue. That sounds like a fun show!

PAX West sounds like a completely different experience from PAX East but damn if I don't love PAX East. Do you get physical games or it it digital games only?

I'm going to plan a Canada trip for some time early next year even though it's not advised to go during the winter. I want to make it a goal to meet a bunch of you Great North neighbors since you guys all look like a fun bunch who has meet ups way more often. Also because Trudeau is a bad ass.

Yeah I don't have a curfew, but I do like being home by a certain time. That and frankly I sleep like shit, I'll play it by feel with how much fun I'm having.

krae_man

PAX West sounds like a completely different experience from PAX East but damn if I don't love PAX East. Do you get physical games or it it digital games only?

I'm going to plan a Canada trip for some time early next year even though it's not advised to go during the winter. I want to make it a goal to meet a bunch of you Great North neighbors since you guys all look like a fun bunch who has meet ups way more often. Also because Trudeau is a bad ass.

They asked me what systems I own and if I prefer digital or retail. So I'm getting all retail unless it's a digital only game.

Just let us know when you're coming and we can accommodate.

Jhoan

Quick shout out bumpdate to ~Devil Trigger~ since I was just with him last night at Drink N Draw NYC's seventh anniversary. I also realized he got a tag last night so congrats on that. Two more weeks to go!

Jhoan

Just a friendly reminder that there is exactly one week to go as of today. Have a wonderful weekend folks!
Because next Saturday is the first day of Fall. :(

Jhoan

Happy first day of fall! Weather conditions for this Saturday are mostly sunny with a high of 73/55 in the evening. Would advise touting a light jacket for the evening or wear a long sleeve shirt. Something, something pumpkin ale is officially in season so RIP summer ale.

I have a bunch of stuff that I will be giving away including a bunch of Brooklyn Brewery branded beer holders I got for volunteering at this weekend's Taste WG event, plastic sunglasses that are UV protection friendly, a bottle opener or two, and other random stuff that I can think of. If I can fit it into my bag, then I will take it.

I'm considering calling The Commodore to make reservation for tables for 8pm ahead of time under of the name of Neil Gaf. Feel free to suggest any other ideas, games, and other stuff.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Damn, forgot this was in Brooklyn. Really far for me. I'm going to a hackathon tomorrow that is in Brooklyn, but I'm not comfortable walking around late night with my laptop.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I gotta pull out, going for beers with a friend for his birthday tomorrow. Maybe I'll try and catch you guys at the end of the night.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah I figured that area. We need better inter borough transit. It's so bad. Especially with everybody getting pushed out to the outer boroughs.

Brooklyn is practically Manhattan compared to Queens. But yea, busses aren't nearly enough. I'd love it if that tram thing went through and got expanded.

Crayons

Banned
I'll bring the resistance! If anyone can bring cards against humanity that would be cool. Maybe I'll bring a set of mario playing cards as well.

Brooklyn is practically Manhattan compared to Queens. But yea, busses aren't nearly enough. I'd love it if that tram thing went through and got expanded.
It is but the g is the only Brooklyn to Brooklyn. I'm in Bushwick and it's fine to get around it and Williamsburg but I have to go to Manhattan or basically to Queens if I want to go to anywhere else. I end up taking the bus because it's direct.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It is but the g is the only Brooklyn to Brooklyn. I'm in Bushwick and it's fine to get around it and Williamsburg but I have to go to Manhattan or basically to Queens if I want to go to anywhere else. I end up taking the bus because it's direct.

I wish every borough had the same level of subway line density that Manhattan does. Even if something like that gets proposed and voted through, it'll take like 500 years for it to finish up. Maybe if they made it above ground and convinced everyone not to bitch about that...

Jhoan

I'm lurking like a ninja and have quietly updating the OP. I tried giving the thread a few bumps. *shrug*

The only day I would be willing to entertain would be next weekend as an alternative in the event that I were to can it. I'm not going to can it so the show goes on. There's always another one or a smaller outing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm lurking like a ninja and have quietly updating the OP. I tried giving the thread a few bumps. *shrug*

The only day I would be willing to entertain would be next weekend as an alternative in the event that I were to can it. I'm not going to can it so the show goes on. There's always another one or a smaller outing.

If we ever do a smaller one I'm definitely in, this weekend just turned to shit in terms of free time is all. And I still gotta finish that thread, knew I should have done it last weekend.

Jhoan

If we ever do a smaller one I'm definitely in, this weekend just turned to shit in terms of free time is all. And I still gotta finish that thread, knew I should have done it last weekend.
I'm willing to entertain a smaller one the weekend of the New York Craft Beer Festival (10/14 and 10/15) since I'll be loaded with beers in my bag ready to be consumed at a park discretely after I come out the last shift or for Halloween weekend. I'm volunteering at the NY Food Film Festival the weekend after NY Craft Beer Festival. Which thread are you referring to? The next season of Supernatural?
I'm 20. I literally spent my teenage years here.
Hmm.. I hope you're turning 21 this year. There's always East River State Park nearby if anything.

Crayons

Banned
I'm willing to entertain a smaller one the weekend of the New York Craft Beer Festival (10/14 and 10/15) since I'll be loaded with beers in my bag ready to be consumed at a park discretely or for Halloween weekend. I'm volunteering at the NY Food Film Festival the weekend after NY Craft Beer Festival. Which thread are you referring to? The next season of Supernatural?

Hmm.. I hope you're turning 21 this year. There's always East River State Park nearby if anything.

Next year. One of you is going to have to buy it with your ID and give it to me :p

how's parking by there, anyone familiar with the area?
i'm working right now up to dinnertime.

i try to skip dinner and stop by the commodore after 8:30pm. that chicken looks good.
it's a bit chilly, i may have to wear a yellow hoodie =)

Jhoan

how's parking by there, anyone familiar with the area?
i'm working right now up to dinnertime.

i try to skip dinner and stop by the commodore after 8:30pm. that chicken looks good.
it's a bit chilly, i may have to wear a yellow hoodie =)

Not too familiar with how parking works around there but I think if you were to park along the waterfront along Noble St in Greenpoint, you should be fine. I think you should avoid the main roads like Metropolitan Ave since there's probably going to be no parking space around there.

I'm not going to can it considering that I'm willing to take up half of my day to do this. If it's a small gathering, then it's fine. Conversely, if it ends up being a decent showing where lurkers suddenly show up, then that's good too.

Malo

Banned
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it tonight. It's a friend's birthday tonight and we're going to go out for some drinks.

Hopefully I can make the next one.

Mully

I've got the Red Bulls game tonight at 7, and then I have to head right home to pack for my trip tomorrow morning. No room for a meetup unfortunately. Enjoy it guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom