• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
TDtn9ck.gif

on the first page says to bring cash since many places don't accept plastic. Is that only for mom&pops?

will be in nyc on wed. til rest of the week. hope the weather's not cold or too hot

Shanlei91

even the fancy restaurants? i dont feel comfortable walkin around w/ lotta cash.
The only place I've been to that is cash only in the last two years is my favorite Chinese resturaunt that is a hole in the wall. Just about every chain / medium to high scale place accepts cards and a ton of smaller places that used to be cash only switched over to those iPad card reader registers. I almost never have cash on me.

You should be fine. For peace of mind you can usually check a place out on Yelp and do a search on the reviews for "cash only".

daffy

Banned
Any cool breakfast spots in Queens? Preferably all day breakfast.. not trying to slide in like Indiana Jones to meet the cut off.

Shanlei91

I miss the old Time Warner. They used to hold these sweepstakes that I consistently won. Was regularly getting VIP tickets to MSG events...now I just get annoying mail from Spectrum asking me to get a landline.

Jhoan

I miss the old Time Warner. They used to hold these sweepstakes that I consistently won. Was regularly getting VIP tickets to MSG events...now I just get annoying mail from Spectrum asking me to get a landline.

I get the same type of offers as well as well as other neighbors' mail erroneously which I toss out these days. Once upon a time, I used to care and leave them.

On the topic of cash only places: In my neighborhood, many places are cash only or have a x dollar minimum on a card policy which I find dumb (I get the whole getting charged a merchant fee). For instance, Bodega Pizza is a cash only place for some odd reason. Otherwise, I almost never carry cash because I get nervous about losing it.

On another note, Five Points Festival was fun. I think having a few panels would have made it more interesting but that would have meant having to set up a tent outside and nixing the food court area. I got a bunch of swag as part of a volunteer package including prints which I have no intention of keeping.

The biggest thing was probably the Japanese toy maker that had all these poop figures and more pricey stuff the previous day. Half the people buying stuff were flippers/scalpers and the other half were die hard toy collectors/fans.Then there was Greg Capullo and Scott Snyder as well as Bryan Lee O'Malley and Dan Slott on the comics side. It was super easy to speak to them there as opposed to at a bigger con like say NYCC.

The Artist Alley was solid but I didn't buy anything at all at this con because I had met a bunch of those artists before and bought stuff at C2E2. Still it was cool catching up with a bunch of them. Sadly I lost my voice in the process but the food and the after party were fun and I enjoyed catching up with my con family.

I'm not sure what my next big con will be between now and October (assuming I get accepted to work at NYCC in July) but I will definitely be doing food festivals and smaller events. Left Field Media has got Awesome Con next month but that's in DC so I will have to think about it. My friend hooked me up with a volunteering gig at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden next month which involves manipulating puppets and a lavish after party so I'm looking forward to it.

eosos

Banned
Hey New York GAF. Coming to new york in a couple of weeks for the weekend. Ive been a couple of times, but need some dinner recommendations! I want to keep it under $200 for two, but otherwise open to anything really.

Any help is appreciated!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hey New York GAF. Coming to new york in a couple of weeks for the weekend. Ive been a couple of times, but need some dinner recommendations! I want to keep it under $200 for two, but otherwise open to anything really.

Any help is appreciated!

What kind of food do you want? How fancy are you looking to go?

eosos

Banned
What kind of food do you want? How fancy are you looking to go?
Hard question.. definitely like all types of food. I think moderately fancy would be great (sort of a date night), but cool with more casual too. We were in Japan recently, so kind of trying to ride that Asian wave right now. Hmm.. trying to think of more helpful details, but honestly we're down for anything tasty!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Would folks be opposed to the next meet up happening the weekend before e3?

I'm good either way, but we did say post-E3. If people really want we can do a smaller one pre-E3.

Hard question.. definitely like all types of food. I think moderately fancy would be great (sort of a date night), but cool with more casual too. We were in Japan recently, so kind of trying to ride that Asian wave right now. Hmm.. trying to think of more helpful details, but honestly we're down for anything tasty!

I only ask because there's literally everything here and just going by price is going to lead to a huge list of options.

NandoGip

Sup homies. Anyone interested in purchasing Governors Ball tix? I have two spare Saturday GA tickets, including ferry ride from Manhattan. $125 each.

SiteSeer

Sup homies. Anyone interested in purchasing Governors Ball tix? I have two spare Saturday GA tickets, including ferry ride from Manhattan. $125 each.

just passing through and ... governor's ball? what's that? a music festival ... who's playing? ooooh ... tool? air? phantogram? bought! thanks nandogip! sorry but not interested in saturday's schedule :(

Jhoan

Damn, my fire escape window suddenly shattered as I was trying to close it last night and took a tiny chunk of my middle finger last night. It's not severed at all as the glass grazed the surface several inches north of my knuckle but my finger was bleeding profusely and it's deeper than your average cut (think an oval) with white flesh visible. I think I managed finally stop it because I sprayed the wound with first aid spray, grabbed a gauze, a bandage, and some tape and wrapped it up.

I'm probably going to play and go check myself into the urgent care clinic some point today even though it's definitely nothing that's life threatening. At best they'll probably stitch it up, give me a tetanus booster, some strong painkillers, and antibiotics.

I told the super and he's replacing it. I wonder if I wonder if I can I sue them as food for thought. I probably won't since it wasn't a super freak accident but still.

I can bend my finger and everything but the pain makes it annoying. I'm supposed to volunteer at an event tomorrow and work at City College on Thursday and Friday which should be fine. Heck, I can still hit the gym methinks but be careful lifting weights. No scheduling dates for this week though.

GiJoccin

I'm probably going to play and go check myself into the urgent care clinic some point today even though it's definitely nothing that's life threatening. At best they'll probably stitch it up, give me a tetanus booster, some strong painkillers, and antibiotics.

you should go sooner rather than later, it'll heal better the quicker you get it stitched up

Jhoan

you should go sooner rather than later, it'll heal better the quicker you get it stitched up

I went but it was pretty much

IpDAgCi.gif

They gave me a bunch of bandages, tape, and a tetanus shot. Duder wasn't able to sew it and told me the obvious: clean the wound and change it twice a day.

Fuchsdh

So yesterday my wife and I took the train into Manhattan and walked from the Battery up to 110th on the East Side and up to 145th/Hamilton Heights. I hadn't been to Spanish Harlem since I was a kid and it was weird to realize that despite all the "it's so dangerous there" advice I got when looking at neighborhoods it looks no worse than my Brooklyn neighborhood (although without the benefit of great train options.)

If the weather stays nice we might do the west side soon as well.

Also, we had some of my wife's literary friends stay with us over the weekend, which cemented the realization that some people just are not equipped to handle big cities. One of the women kept asking loudly to pet everyone's dog and wondering aloud why places smelled like weed or people were sitting in their cars (waiting for drugs.) And then she freaked out when she saw a palmetto bug near her jacket and physically left the jacket with us because she was so horrified by a bug.

Shanlei91

So yesterday my wife and I took the train into Manhattan and walked from the Battery up to 110th on the East Side and up to 145th/Hamilton Heights. I hadn't been to Spanish Harlem since I was a kid and it was weird to realize that despite all the "it's so dangerous there" advice I got when looking at neighborhoods it looks no worse than my Brooklyn neighborhood (although without the benefit of great train options.)

If the weather stays nice we might do the west side soon as well.

Also, we had some of my wife's literary friends stay with us over the weekend, which cemented the realization that some people just are not equipped to handle big cities. One of the women kept asking loudly to pet everyone's dog and wondering aloud why places smelled like weed or people were sitting in their cars (waiting for drugs.) And then she freaked out when she saw a palmetto bug near her jacket and physically left the jacket with us because she was so horrified by a bug

Haha that sounds like a Kimmy Schmidt sketch.

milkham

Doing some long overdue cleaning and was wondering if you guys know anything about recycling old computer junk. I know Apple accepts their own products and best buy has a box by the entrance for throwing batteries and ink cartridges, but where would I drop say an ancient dell, or old tablets and phones?

Oxn

Doing some long overdue cleaning and was wondering if you guys know anything about recycling old computer junk. I know Apple accepts their own products and best buy has a box by the entrance for throwing batteries and ink cartridges, but where would I drop say an ancient dell, or old tablets and phones?

Also bestbuy

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/zerowaste/residents/electronics.shtml

The city also organizes events where they'll set up at certain locations throughout the city for you to come and toss all your electronics out.
Edit: Here's the page on those: http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/zerowaste/residents/safe-disposal-events.shtml

Top Bottom