• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Penguin

What’s everyone’s take on the NY Constitutional Convention Vote? I’m in support of a Constitutional Convention, but I see the, “Vote-No,” bumper stickers on a lot of cars in Long Island.

Reading into it, not sure why you would even reject the notion of the Convention

It's a 2 year process and still need to vote on the actual amendments anyhow

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What's everyone's take on the NY Constitutional Convention Vote? I'm in support of a Constitutional Convention, but I see the, ”Vote-No," bumper stickers on a lot of cars in Long Island.

I mean, I have no clue. If I knew exactly what they were looking to accomplish that'd be one thing, but it sounds pretty nebulous at the moment.

If people in Long Island are against it, it's probably good evidence that it's a good idea.

Seriously, I don't see how you could argue that a convention shouldn't be held unless your opinion is there's no area for potential reform in the entire state government.

At the same time the NY Post has come out in favor of it, so there's that.

If they want term-limits I'm not really down with that since it's just increased corruption wherever it's been implemented.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Double post, but the Village Voice put out a primer on the arguments for and against the Convention.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/0...utional-convention-heres-why-you-should-care/

For
Though a July Siena College poll found that 47 percent of New Yorkers backed a convention, with only 34 percent opposed, most elected officials and interest groups on both sides of the aisle want the ballot initiative defeated in November. (More on that below.) Those in favor include the good government group Citizens Union; Bill Samuels, a prominent liberal activist and fundraiser; Evan Davis, a former counsel for Mario Cuomo; a group of Women's Marchers who are hoping a convention could enshrine abortion rights in the state constitution ahead of any Trump attempt to weaken Roe v. Wade; and the New York State Bar Association.

The elder Cuomo supported holding a convention, though his fellow governor son, Andrew, has been noncommittal. The arguments for a convention boil down to being offered a rare chance to enact sweeping change without grinding through a deeply flawed legislative process. The New York State Constitution is an old, unwieldy document — the length of a short novel, at fifty thousand words — that has not been updated since 1938.

Backers of a constitutional convention are largely liberal, though the Republican minority leader of the state assembly, Brian Kolb, also favors holding one. Samuels has spoken about adding a new bill of rights to the constitution — rights to affordable higher education, clean air and water, healthcare, equitable funding for schools — that would make New York a much more progressive place.

Against
Opponents are much easier to find. The Republican majority leader of the state senate, John Flanagan, and the Democratic Speaker of the Assembly, Carl Heastie, are against holding a constitutional convention. So are Mayor Bill de Blasio, State Senator Jeff Klein — the leader of the Independent Democratic Conference — and most other politicians in New York State.

Their opposition, in part, is driven by the strenuous and united front against a convention led by the state's major unions, who fear the loss of state protections for labor rights. They are set to outspend and possibly outmaneuver Con Con. They have formed a group, New Yorkers Against Corruption, to harness this energy and money.

Conservatives see much to lose from a Con Con, too. Guns-rights groups and the New York State Conservative Party, formed originally to push Republicans to the right, have joined New Yorkers Against Corruption, out of fear that progressive interests would steer New York too far left.

One argument made against a convention is that the delegates will end up being elected officials or lobbyists determined to protect the status quo, as happened in 1967. With a convention likely to occur during the 2019 legislative session, state lawmakers might be deterred from serving as delegates alongside their regular Albany duties.

The more significant argument animating opposition is the potential loss of strong labor protections baked into a constitution last written in 1938, when organized labor was on the rise. Pension obligations could be wiped away. Liberal opponents of a convention warn that right-wing billionaires like the Koch brothers and Robert Mercer, the Donald Trump backer and Breitbart funder, could hijack the process by spending millions to elect fiercely anti-union delegates.

There's more in the article, but it looks like there's literally people on both sides who want and don't want it.

tbm24

I was out fishing by Oyster Bay this weekend and saw a ton of Vote No in prop 1. I’m not surprised but the more I look into it, I’m for it. It’s seems like the only realistic way to get something like pot legalization passed anytime soon. The idea of right wing nut delegates being th recruited is concerning, there’s no shortage of them here.

Penguin

I was out fishing by Oyster Bay this weekend and saw a ton of Vote No in prop 1. I’m not surprised but the more I look into it, I’m for it. It’s seems like the only realistic way to get something like pot legalization passed anytime soon. The idea of right wing nut delegates being th recruited is concerning, there’s no shortage of them here.
Yeh but it still needs to be voted in by the state the year after

My god De Blasio is such a fucking loser.

http://gothamist.com/2017/10/18/and_the_contract_goes_to_shelbyville.php

There's just one day left before proposals are due for Amazon's second headquarters, and politicians across the country are tripping over themselves to woo the Seattle-based corporate behemoth. Here in New York, Mayor de Blasio has decided to show off the city's innovative spirit by inventing a new color—"Amazon Orange"—and casting it across the city's buildings and advertising spaces tonight.

The city announced this morning that several skyscrapers—including the Empire State Building, One World Trade Center, and the Bloomberg Tower—would be illuminated in "Amazon Orange." The desperate hue will also take over all of the city's LinkNYC screens, as well as 10 digital billboards throughout Manhattan.

You'll have to leave this thread. Very sorry. Credentials revoked.

Where are you moving to?

Rye, NY! I'm actually pretty excited since I just got married this summer and it feels like we're now actually taking the next step in our lives. Feel like we've kind of aged out of city living. It's gotten tiring the past few years.

Fuchsdh

Rye, NY! I'm actually pretty excited since I just got married this summer and it feels like we're now actually taking the next step in our lives. Feel like we've kind of aged out of city living. It's gotten tiring the past few years.

Honestly, a lot of the old people I've met and talked to in the city have fit a pretty bitter mold. They really should have left a while ago, they didn't, and now they're in the "yells at cloud" stage of misanthropy.

Jhoan

In light of recent events, I highly encourage that anyone here who hasn't already joined the NYC GAF Discord channel to please do so ASAP. Please PM either Hero Prinny, Penguin, Fallengorn, B-Dubs, or myself. Conversely, you can quote to reveal the link in the OP but IIRC we've had to to tighten up security in there due to the huge influx of members recently. All we ask is that you identify yourself if your username is different from GAF once you join the chat.

That being said, I will be sticking around these parts for the time being. Meet ups will still continue to happen for those of you who still like them/ever wanted to go to them. A bunch of us will still be around so nothing will change.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
About the discord thing. Add me on discord will try to get you in if you seem to post in this thread a few times at least. Quote to add username.

Jhoan

Also be advised that PMs can only be sent once every 10 minutes so please be patient. The most important step: Please include your Discord name with your 4 digit ID # in PMS or else you we can't add you e.g. GodHandFan0000. If you do not have a Discord, please make an account. It's basically the modern form of IRC chat but with way more bells and whistles. Thanks so much guys! :)

Top Bottom